Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Psycho_Puppy posted:

Just a note for anyone who is planning to travel with their birds. We just moved from Georgia to Virginia. We placed my African Grey and my Senegal into small travel cages (modified pet carriers). We made sure we fed them well the night before and only offered water during the trip. When we arrived at our destination, their big cages were the first thing unloaded. We placed them into their new room and fed them immediately even though it was about 1 AM. They slept through the night and picked up the next day with no problems.

They have a large window in their new home and they LOVE sitting in their cages and looking outside. They are still mad at me for taking them on the trip and I haven't handled them much since we arrived. I've been beaked hard a few times when I stuck my hand into my Senegal's cage. He will get over it. We were best buddies before. Now that I have them here with me and am working a reasonable hours job, I plan to do a little training myself. Pics when I get a chance.

We moved from Chicago to Denver with our umbrella and he loved it. The worst part actually was having to stay at a friend's house for two days just outside of Chicago where we had already packed up the big cage. We did the best we could to make the travel cage (which is actually fairly spacious) work, but ended up holding him for most of those days. He also really hates eating in the little cage for some reason, so we held the bowl of corn/oatmeal/peas while he ate :3:

On the actual roadtrip, we had him situated so that the cage was elevated and occupied an entire window in the middle bench of a Suburban. Dude was happy as could be to watch the countryside go by and hang out with the flock. Driver sat up front, dogs were behind him, and he only screamed once, and that was until he remembered there was actually food inside the cage. He adjusted flawlessly to the new place. Until we put up a new chandelier in the entry hall, he's been giving that thing the stinkeye for nearly 6 weeks now.

I guess I don't really have experience with other birds, but I guess I was surprised how easy the transition was for Teeka.

Here, have a bonus picture of bird watching me post. Yes, cage is dirty, changing after I finish working (and posting). And I have to keep him caged in the office because we don't have a stand that fits in here yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Has anyone heard about the Gabriel Foundation in CO? I'm finally getting settled and looking for some volunteer work and it would be fun to take one afternoon a week or something and go play with more birds, but these guys are super-focused on adoption and list their animals on a bunch of sites and stuff, so I am a little cautious. It does seem like a great place for the birds, though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

unprofessional posted:

Lots of rescues are nuts and run by nuts who believe nobody can take care of the animals as well as them, but if they're down to earth folks, it'll be an awesome experience.

It seems like an impressive facility. If I don't go skiing this weekend, I might stop by for a tour. My real concern is that it isn't like a secondhand bird mill, but I think a visit will probably clear that up.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Frozenfries posted:

Here's Ruby inspecting our balcony door and posing for the camera.

And while typing this she's sitting atop my cd rack jousting with the little metallic pole that protrudes from the side.

I've always thought Eclectuses looked a little funny, but she is gorgeous.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

SaNChEzZ posted:

Ugh, was playing stompy robot game with goons, using Mumble and it got quiet. I was like, "hey guys, where are you going etc, whats going on etc."

Look down and Ritz had the severed cord in his beak, the other end of it dangling down to the ground. :argh:

And probably looking smug as gently caress too.

I like the look of deep satisfaction birds get after destroying your valuables. Probably has saved my bird's life a few times.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Pookah posted:

I love all of your pictures but this one is amazing... I just can't stop laughing at it.

Please don't ban me, it needed this.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Zomodok posted:

The new bird is just barely 2 months old and seriously loves being upside down and cuddling and hasn't been loud and oh my god.

Dat ruffle is everything right with birds.

But on the second count, I would warn you that 2 months is waaaaaaaay different than 2 years.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori definitely isn't, he just gets furious if anything. Without the towel, he's fine. Steve, maybe. If anyone has links/descriptions of an effective bird burrito I'd be happy to try it out again so I can file their nails by myself.

Maybe they're just panting from exertion?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ah, to own a bird that both fits in your shirt and that wouldn't give the world's worst titty twister.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Wozbo posted:

The last one looks like he could be a bottle opener.

You know, I wonder if I could train my bird to open bottles now that you mention it. Especially an umbrella, since they have two pronounced prongs on their lower beak. And then I could go to Budweiser or Coors and make a million for putting my retard bird in a Super Bowl commercial.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My cockatoo is massively in love with my mom. She can't handle him for more than 5 minutes before he starts courting her, which hilariously involves smacking her as hard as he can with his beak and regurgitating food all over whatever she's wearing. I'm talking leaning back as far as he can go and then a full on, high-speed headbutt straight into her arm--he has literally left bruises from this. He'll proceed to actual sexin' if she doesn't put him down.

All I have to do is make sure not to pet his body basically past his legs. But everything else is a-okay, bird is completely fine being manhandled.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

I wonder if you could teach a bird to dance of it's own accord? Ohtori doesn't dance or bob or anything, he doesn't even visibly react to different kinds of music and background noise.

Oh man, my cockatoo loves dancing. He will just bob up and down with his whole body and get that crest out there for maximum metal headbang effect. He loves to dance to electronic, mostly likes rock, and is always ready to sing a duet if it's classical or opera. He seriously has the most amazing vibrato. Must record this.

Pip pip pip posted:

Conure snuggle time is the best :3: I was leaning on my husband on the couch the other day and Ozzy wiggled his way into a small crack between us for some family snuggle time :3: :3: :3: Happy little bird grumbles and squeaks for like half an hour.

Cockatiel snuggle time is super cute too but Nugget is more of a "I'm gonna rest my head on your cheek while you pet me for 2 hours" type of gal.

Man, I need to get a picture of Teeka getting his roost on. That bird just lives for cuddles, all he wants to do is be plopped in your lap and roost up for a few hours. And then bite you out of nowhere when he wants to go back to his cage, but it's not a hard bite and we're training him away from that behavior.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

So in the past few months my 'too has developed a weird pattern. Usually a little before 5pm, he starts screaming and basically won't stop. So we throw in his corn, cover him, and he shuts up and eats dinner. Later on we'll swap out the corn or peas or whatever veggies we gave him for pellets and he sleeps through the night. When we uncover him in the morning, he's happy and a normal bird.

I guess I just find it weird that my bird only spend something like 10 hours a day uncovered since we open him up for biz around 7am. I'd love to have him be more active in the evenings, but the screaming just does not stop unless he is covered, and in case you weren't aware, cockatoos are pretty goddamn loud. In the past we've tried for two weeks to incrementally move his cover time to something like 6pm, but bird brain will just not have any of it. We keep his area well-lit and he doesn't exhibit any nesting behavior.

The bird seems pretty normal and happy, as far as I can tell. He's in good shape (although could use more muscle), plays with toys, is plenty talkative, very cuddly, and overall this is probably the best behavior he's had in a long while. Is my bird just a lazy teenager that likes to sleep a lot or just lounge in bed?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

alucinor posted:

I think I've read that wild 'toos tend to start congregating in the roosting area a couple hours before dark. They scream "HEY EVERYBODY GET BACK HERE IT'S ALMOST BEDTIME". They preen and socialize till shortly before sunset then everybody goes quiet. So it's probably innate behavior.

Both my goffin and my mom's umbrella start screaming for bedtime by about 330. Mom's bird gets up at 6 and goes to bed by 330, my guy gets up at 7 and goes at 430 if I'm home from work. On days I'm working out of the house I get home around 630, so he has a dark corner in his cage draped in dark cloth (his "bedroom") and his light is on a timer to go out at 430. He goes in his bedroom as soon as the timer goes off, then when I get home we have dinner/cuddle time, and within 20 minutes he's telling me it's bedtime again.

When I kept him up later in the evenings he was much, much more shouty the rest of the day. If he gets his bedtime when he wants it, he's usually quiet as mouse most of the day. The goffin is 18 years old and the umbrella even older, so it's not just a puberty thing.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I figure there's no harm in abruptly shortening yelling o'clock. Good to know it's normal for my great white idiot and his ilk.

e: Here thread, enjoy.

Only at half 'stache because oh god is that a camera!?

Eejit fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 8, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

H110Hawk posted:

Visited Jerry today, and his wonderful assistant who helped us out on her day off. Meet our new pet Mindo! (Or as we're referring to him with our parents: their new grand child.)

What is this guy, he looks awesome! Also that picture his an incredible amount of, "what are you lookin' at," going on, I love it.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

H110Hawk posted:

I think dubious is his general state of being. He hopped off our hands and I think regretted it. The smooth surface of the table meant he couldn't get purchase to hop. He could however poop like nobodies business.

Seriously, I love that bird. What kind of noises does he make / how loud is he? Also, how is his bite?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

H110Hawk posted:

Yup! Hand raised. Fruit loops would likely be fatal as they are fortified with iron. He also can't swallow them really. They don't chew their food at all, just kinda use their beak like chopsticks, bang it around until it's the size they want, then toss it back. We'll try to get a video of it.

For now, enjoy him playing with my wife's hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XSVi1l3ddU

Ahhhhhhhh adorable :3: In case anyone is wondering, that is not how cockatoos "play" with hands.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

So cute! Look at those fluffed up feathers, that's the sign of a content bird.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

H110Hawk posted:

Asleep in his birdy hut!

Edit:

Also, he really doesn't like it when we cover his cage for the night. He flys over and grabs onto the side of the cage and tries to attack the sheet through the bars. We're somewhat worried he's going to injure himself doing acrobatics in the dark. Any ideas on calming him down about it? (He can't climb with his beak recall.)

Try darkening the room first for 30 minutes, then cover him up.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Deadly Chlorine posted:

I think so, I know a few people who have trained their greys to lie on their backs and they still do it as adults. The birds I've seen that are REALLY against lying down like that are cockatoos. Cockatoos will not have any of that poo poo. It really depends, I know a guy's grey who after puberty would pin his eyes whenever anyone's hands got within 10cm of him, and another one that occasionally plucks but will put her head down all the time when someone comes near so she can get scritches. :3:

I would say conures are easier, but I'm pretty sure the default state of a conure is upside down anyway. :downs:

My cockatoo doesn't like it, but he's okay with it for a bit. If I'm holding him on one hand, I can cup his wings with my other and flip him upside down for a bit and he doesn't mind. But he also likes to Mission Impossible upside-down walk along the ceiling of his cage. We also have him trained for his nails where we lay him on his back on a pillow and one person uses a towel to control his wings (and also sorta throttle his scrawny little neck to keep him from interfering with the dremmel) and he just chills out and enjoys the pedicure for the five minutes it takes.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah, they have a lot of those feathers, I have to imagine that if birds were the dominant species with 9-5's and houses in the suburbs that almost no work would ever get done because between eating, making GBS threads, and preening there would be no time to file TPS reports.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Deadly Chlorine posted:

I used to twisty tie Sunny's cage but he loving learnt how to twist them open and got his head stuck when the door came down for about 2 minutes, so I freaked out and used clothespins to clamp the doors shut, and he seems to not have enough strength to open those, so that's good. I also have to padlock his cage shut, jesus loving christ I thought this was a thing that people did with cockatoos, not conures.

Maybe switch out that toy with something else for a few days, like some newspaper twisted into a cardboard tube or something then slowly reintroduce the toy? Not sure how to stop an avian serial masturbator.

Also my friend posted this picture of his conure that I think is relevant,

Conure.jpg :downs:

I absolutely love this picture.

In terms of cage locks, we use those carabiners you can get at the hardware store that screw shut. Our goddamn cockatoo is indeed quite the escape artist, but he has yet to figure these out. We had to install them after one late evening where we came home to an eviscerated lounge chair, a pool of stuffing strewn across the floor, and Teeka sitting in his cage with the front door just barely open. Yes, the bird was both smart enough to escape to assassinate the chair and then did a pretty convincing job of trying to cover up the fact that he could get out of the cage. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until it happens again.

In terms of your conure, how long has she been exhibiting this behavior? It could be that her spring hormones are kicking in. I know that our boy can get a little hypersexual during the spring, but usually he calms down after a week or two.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

CrazyLittle posted:

My brother's goffin's cockatoo knows how to undo the screw-lock chain links that attach his toys to the top of his cage. I wonder if the spring loaded carabiner would present more of a challenge or not.

Ours aren't even spring loaded, they're more like what you're describing. The way the cage is, it's impossible to rotate the screw lock part inside the bars. Not that I doubt the bird will eventually figure out how to undo them somehow. The creature has years to plot, much like a diabolical supervillain, so it's only a matter of time.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Mad Hamish posted:

Frankie figured out how to do this after watching me rearrange toys in her cage for a while. Now there are no toys in her cage at all because five seconds after you hang it up she's got it on the floor and then poops on it.

I need to get her a new calcium perch. She's managed to eat her current one. But what colour / flavour? She's had the pink one and the purple one so I'm thinking we should go with the green one this time. She gets the dust from the perch all over herself so she's not just a cream-coloured goffin but has AWESOME PUNK COLOURS. Lime-green would go with her little orange cheek and nose feathers, yes?

I think your bird would have an awesome time at Holi.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Amaya posted:

I heard there was a bird party around here. Are we invited?

Am I too late for Birdception? I saw a derpatiel and thought, hey, I can supersize that.

What am I looking at exactly?

You think this is a game!? (drat bird would not raise his crest without blocking out the whole screen.)

Also he is going through a molt like crazy. Spent probably 45 minutes just picking away at cuticles. Probably going to shower him again tomorrow just to help him out.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Thank you guys, he is a Good Bird. I do feel a little bad having recently learned that Umbrellas are considered vulnerable on the red list, but I was in 4th grade when we got him so it's not like I could have known or said anything. And now I have a great bird, so I can't complain! Also, I love these pictures recently. I was not quite aware how cute conures are and Pookah's grey is just, I dunno, maniacal-looking. It's awesome.

Battle Pigeon posted:

It's never too late! Thanks for sharing, he's awesome. Molting you say? It must be really satisfying helping to preen a larger bird, and crack their feather casings.

Yesssss, most people will never know the joy of preening 5 inches of feather casing off a U2's crest. He had one today that was basically fully-grown but the cuticle hadn't broken and it was super-satisfying. It's basically like popping bubble wrap to relieve stress, if the bubble wrap laid it's head on your arm, snuggled in, and made contented little noises as a way of saying thanks.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

She will sleep eventually, she has no other option but to learn and get used to it. Maybe she's just upset at her routine/life setup changing?

It's been only three days, if I remember correctly, since removing Ohtori's hut permanently and the first night he was still going at 4am, second he calmed after about two hours, and now he's just moving around a lot but mostly quiet. However, I heard him chewing on the bars, and found this morning holes in the cage cover for the first time. I guess that's how he's dealing with the loss of his hut.

Not really any notable behaviour change yet for him though.

Meh, Teeka rips up his cover and his cage bars. We have like 5 of them in the garage for when he inevitably chews through another one (that he may or may not be sitting on at the time). Seems like pretty normal bird stuff. They are engines of destruction, take away their sexual outlets and it will only further fuel the fires of annihilation burning within them.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Alrighty folks,Ive lurked this whole thread, And even posted a bit. But now its time to reveal... MARU the Cockatiel. Named after the internet cat that goes in boxes (thanks to the fiance...)

She loves the Camera

I believe Maru disagrees with your assessment. That's a good looking 'tiel though!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

DarkHorse posted:

Can't keep a good SQUAWK down! You should be ashamed for trying to suppress a noble bird warrior :colbert:

Alternatively: "Oh we're talking now? OK WE'RE TALKING NOW!" :derptiel:

So does that chassis have ECM or what.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Pet Island > Bird Crazies Online (PYF Parrit, Don't J4Bird)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Agent 00Wombat posted:

Ok so Jack is my new sun conure. And he'll let me take him out if his cage, feed him by hand, ride around on my shoulder, won't bite me, and is generally a pretty good bird aside from some cage territorial issues. But when Wizard of Smart comes home Jack changes into this raging rear end in a top hat towards me. He bites and attacks, he drew blood tonight. The other night he climbed my shirt to bite me in the face. I'd really love some advice on how to break these behaviors, because if they continue we'll have to re-rehome him which I really don't want to do. I want to work with him and love him but I can't if he attacks me every time Wizard comes home. Any advice?

Does he do this and then attempt to go to Wizard? Also, have you guys tried coordinating so that you can have Jack off of you when he comes in, and then trying to handle Jack after Wizard is already in the house? Also does he do this on sight or sound, and will he do this for anyone entering or does he just do it for Wizard?

Sorry your bird is playing the miserable Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde game, that's always annoying. As we learned from the League of Extraordinary Gentleman, you just need to hire Sean Connery to talk in a funny voice while Jekyll and Hyde become amiable headmates in Captain Nemo's white whale submarine and then team up to kill Nazis.

Enigma posted:

That kind of sounds like what my GCC, Bruce, would do whenever my mother-in-law, Cathy, visited. She's very boisterous, and I think he hates that. When she was over, he get to where I couldn't even handle him, but in kind of a nervous aggressive way. Like, while chomping on me, he never took his eye off her. My only guess is that maybe Jack is doing something similar? As Bruce got more and more used to seeing Cathy, he stopped being quite as bad. She still is at the bottom of his list of favorite people and he can be nippy, but he's not inconsolable anymore. If Jack isn't acclimated to Wizard, that may have something to do with it.

e: That reminds me, another question: can Wizard handle Jack?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Joe Don Baker posted:

Back when my brother and I were still at home, the Grey would call for my brother in my mom's voice. He tricked my brother quite a few times, getting him to run down the stairs and ask mom what she needed. Hannah would just laugh. My parents have a cat they adopted and Hannah would imitate my parents and call the cat over. He'd laugh when the cat did respond and run over. I'm pretty sure Hannah actually considered the cat to be a pet.

Have you tried giving your Grey pieces of cardboard? Hannah likes chunks of cardboard from tissue boxes. I'll fold it in half and he'll hold it and destroy it. Sometimes I might put it on some sort of hook for toys and he'll go at it. He almost uses it like chewing gum. He'll grab a piece and chew on it and spit it out. He never eats it.

That's drat hilarious. Seems like he considered most of you guys to be pets, not just the cat :3:

My cockatoo loves destroying paper towel or toilet paper cardboard tubes. He also likes to take a chunk out of a wood toy and whittle it down to a toothpick that he just works back and forth in his beak. Birds are so strange.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bioshuffle posted:

Where can I find a comprehensive guide to taming the winged beasts?

I'd rather not clip the wings. One of the birds came with wings clipped and the other one didn't. Watching the clipped bird flap her wings to no avail while the other one just flies from one perch to the next makes me sad. Besides, if I let them out of the cage, I'd be doing it in a controlled environment so I'm not too worried about anything dangerous like the birds flying into a window. I do have a spare cage, but I'd rather keep the two together (even it means it'll take me longer to tame them) because I'm busy with school and work.

They're my first birds, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. :shobon: Would I be better off clipping them and separating them?

Don't forget that flight feathers grow back. You're not permanently grounding them nor does clipping their wings totally eliminate their aerial maneuverability. View it as putting training wheels on a bike; eventually you take the training wheels off.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

WorldWarWonderful posted:

They're worse, because children eventually learn to stop making GBS threads in their food.

Or screaming at the top of their lungs when they want attention, food, or bedtime!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You don't want to burn your nonstick pans. Usually this isn't an issue, but try to avoid scratching the nonstick surface, especially by not using metal spatulas or the like. We use nonstick as well, but we're careful to make sure there are no such issues.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You actually shouldn't be feeding your birds apple seeds because they do in fact have arsenic in them, although the occasional accidental seed is fine. PS You shouldn't eat apple seeds either.

There are actually quite a few things that are toxic to birds because they are so small that we wouldn't even think about. Being well-informed is part of your responsibility as a bird owner, and I'd start here: http://www.avianweb.com/toxicfoods.html, as most of their stuff looks correct based on other stuff I've read. There are other various household things that are dangerous to birds, such as burning Teflon, that you should be aware of as well. Most of these will be in a parrot care book that you can get at a library.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

DarkHorse posted:

Just about every member of Cacatuidae I've met, regardless of species, has been super cuddly as a baby. The hell comes after they've passed through adolescence and turn from silent cuddle sluts into shrieking (dear god are they loud) and biting terrors, though they still tend to require a lot of attention and affection.

It's at this point which point ignorant owners who weren't expecting it and are unprepared for it leave the bird locked in the cage. The bird then becomes neurotic from being ignored and becomes even more of a noise and aggression problem, perpetuating the cycle, and may begin plucking feathers which can lead owners to hide them away (the absolute worst thing for them).

In cases with owners that do know what they're getting themselves into and can handle and socialize the bird through the difficult period, the animal usually comes out a little noisier, a little bitier, but still absolutely in love with cuddling and scratches, and will usually hang out with other people well.

To bring this back to your question, pet store cockatoos are often (but not always) the prepubescent birds of a year or two old, when they're at their most cuddly and adorable. But yes, in general all of the cockatoo species love being scratched, cuddled, and loved on, to the point that some people call them "velcro birds". This extends to cockatiels, which are genus Nymphicus but in the same family. :derptiel:

EDIT: Sorry if it sounds like I was aggressive or attacking you, that wasn't my intent. I just love Cockatoos so much, a love I share with my dad. He nearly got one when we were first looking at birds, and it would have ended in disaster and bitterness, and ruined a lovely, helpless animal, were it not for some random person giving a warning not dissimilar from the above. For that reason I tend to put the terror in anyone that expresses interest in them just so they don't make the mistake we almost made out of ignorance, and pay it forward.

As a cockatoo owner, this is all good stuff. But it's also worth noting that cockatoos can be good pets. My umbrella loves nothing more than to sit in my lap for hours and snuggle, but that doesn't stop him from occasionally biting me with that big ol' beak or for screaming for an hour straight (and it carries outdoors at least a mile, I have tested this). Also consider that several species are on the red list as vulnerable or endangered.

I guess the short of it is that if you know you can care for a cockatoo, go for it as they can be really rewarding and amazing companions. But the care commitment on a day to day basis is enormous and it doesn't decline over the 30-70 year lifespan of the bird.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I've been thinking about getting a conure for a while now and while it's certainly not going to happen any time soon, I am kind of concerned about my living arrangement at the moment. Right now, any pet I get will be spending most of the time down in a basement. It's a pretty nice basement, but there isn't very much natural light. Is that a problem? Would a parrot even care? I just don't want to get something that would be miserable and crazy.

If you're worried about that, you can get a full spectrum light for your bird, like what you get for people who have seasonal affective disorder. I'd check with your avian vet to determine how much time your bird should get under the light. I know some bird supply vendors already carry bird-specific models, mostly ones that are easy to attach to cages or play stands or whathaveyou.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

H110Hawk posted:

Hrm, how much time? We've been using ours as a little "sun" - it's on when he's supposed to be awake. Is that bad?

Yeah, you should not have them exposed all day. It's not a big deal and something you can sort out with a phone call to your vet. I don't use one, so I don't know, and I'd be far more willing to trust someone with a vet degree over google.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Woah you can do a blood test to determine the sex of your bird? Our boy is 15, has obviously never laid an egg, and has black eyes (female umbrella cockatoos tend to go reddish) so we just assume he's male, but we were always told sexing a bird was some sort of invasive surgery. drat :science:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

:wtc: Steve is eating Ohtori's pellets. They're Nutribird tropical, so generally at least 1cm long, though there are different shapes and sizes. Each is bigger than his beak anyway. I had no idea he even had the strength to break them. He's never tried them before, I've never offered because of the size/hardness, I had no idea he even recognised them as a food-there's some in one of the bowls on their stand, and apparently it just clicked in his little birdy head. Pellet shrapnel went everywhere.

I wonder if I break them up and put them in his seed bowl, would he eventually convert to eating those instead of seed?

Edit: This is one of Steve's recently dropped feathers. It's hard to see, but the feather has lots of lines over it. Do the lines look like stress bars, or natural colouring?

No, those aren't stress bars. Stress bars or stress lines are very distinct breaks in the barb, generally they look like fault lines. I'm not quite sure what causes the bars of varying transparency, but my 'too sometimes has feathers like that as well. It's not a big deal, it's possible that it just grew a little funny or something, but that looks like a pretty normal feather from a member of Cacatuidae to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

I've seen a stress bar in Ohtori once, and Steve used to have some, but since he's a lutino I didn't know if that would affect how they would show up-as in, if they're only black broken lines, or if they could be faint like this too. If it's normal, then awesome. Hopefully that's the case-I worry a bit about his diet, since he still primarily eats seeds, though he's gotten a lot better about eating other things since we first had him.

Budgies are fantastic little talkers, and it's currently a budgie that holds the record for largest vocabulary of a talking bird as well at 1,728 words. http://naturesscrapbook.blogspot.com/2012/02/bird-with-largest-vocabulary-in-world.html

Yeah, it also might be that it is a natural thing for feathers but because most birds don't have so many white feathers most people don't notice. My bird is almost completely white so it just looked normal to me.

Also that's really impressive. I think Greys have a reputation as the best talkers because of clarity, but 1700 words is crazy.