Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tendai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TJaNDBI87s

Not a parrot but I thought this thread would appreciate this, taken from PYF. It makes me laugh so hard I think I'm about to pee myself.

When he came to allocate a scientific name to this bird, he called it

WOO HOO

WOO HOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I'm sure this has been done before but it's still :kimchi:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Monsters like that need a steiner scout party at the least

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

:3: he's a cute little drummer

I wish my financial situation was better so I could seriously look into getting a bird.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Got home from work and opened up the bird cages. My grey climbs down his cage and proceeds to shuffle his way to the bathroom while whistling Blue Danube.

Birds.

good taste in music

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Tendai posted:

Max is a good example of how even a healthy cockatoo getting its needs met is still going to be an outrageous rear end in a top hat at times :allears:

Much like a normal child. :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaI6SWfDnTc

Look at this sassy bird. :kimchi:

Eejit posted:

e: I also learned I can cradle him like a baby, probably because he is so good about being burritoed for nail trimming

I wanna bury my face in him, he looks so fluffy

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

free him

I had to go to petco to pick up my family's dog from grooming and had a few minutes while they finished so I wandered over to the bird section.

This little guy ran right up to the viewscreen on his enclosure and would bob his head along with me and stuff. :3:

:kimchi:

And these two would not stop running around together and doing that. :3:

Semi-related note, how reasonable is it to buy birds from a chain store like that? I'm not sure how many breeders would be in my area, or if they'd be any better or worse. Are there online guides for that sort of thing? Like a national association of whatever? I don't wanna support any uncouth practices when I'm finally financially stable enough to buy a bird.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

https://vine.co/v/iwlIqVP0LTu

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

https://vine.co/v/ie3m6q5Muub

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

https://vine.co/v/iJt91xEeHm3

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

https://vine.co/v/ipIMV2XFOTm

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I always thought it had to do with makin' yourself pretty to get some gently caress, but it's cool to learn it's how they get stuff back to make a nest.

https://twitter.com/Nuts0634/status/989860068018417664

cute birb

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

So what exactly are pinfeathers? I know they're basically like, waxy blood tubes that turn into feathers, but are they unpleasant for birds to have or such and that's why they get grumpy during molts?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

So it's kinda like the birdy feather version of a scab in that it's itchy and irritating, got it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

It's like you are giving blood and the needle is in your arm. It won't , of course, hurt unless you move it around.

Then a nurse comes in and moves it because ...reasons; in and out, all around, and pressing down on it.

That is how a bird pin feather do.

:gonk: this is a much more visceral explanation thank you but also argh

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

A pair of (I think) mourning doves built a nest in a small bin of parts in my stepdad's leanto by our garage and had a baby and they are the most chill family of wild birds I've ever seen, they'll all let you get right up by the nest and watch them through the holes in the box and stuff while just calmly looking at you and cooing quietly, it's amazing. Cute as a button too. Is this how they normally act or will I give the poor things a bird heart attack if I go near again to take some pics for the thread?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Captain Log posted:

This cockatoo is so mean, it bit THROUGH my friends palm

:stare: Do you mean drew blood or do you mean 'a hole'

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Good luck, CE and Crouton :(

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Super chill mourning dove (I think) that's nested in a parts box in my stepdad's leanto off the garage. They've already had at least one chick hatch, and they keep adding to the nest. Is that normal? How long will they hang out anyway. In northern PA, specifically.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 13, 2018

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Well the place they built the nest is high up under a roof and blocking most wind so I guess we have some mourning dove tenants through fall. I had no idea they bred so fast though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

They are a dumb, slow-moving prey species of bird. They survive and indeed thrive mainly by reproducing so prolifically.

Well, the tall-rear end pines about 30 feet from their nest have some bigass vultures nesting in them so we'll see how long the doves last. :gibs:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I never knew before this thread that birds could be so cuddly with other birds outside their species, it's super heartwarming. :kimchi:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Crouton got THE CONE THE CYLINDER COVERED IN ELASTOPLAST. She was kept in overnight to make sure she didn't react too badly but was happily eating and doing bird things and being well behaved. She is now back home reunited with Galbedir. The only damage done is to her dignity.

On the one hand, poor birb.

On the other hand that is absolutely goddamned hilarious.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Poor birb.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Captain Log posted:

My new browser plugin isn't doing much...

No joke tabs open, 8/10 (the 8 is from birb)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/aochan_06/status/1020277243346501633

bird has good taste in music

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Enigma posted:

Updated on Peck-a-cles:

Tracked the band to an owner in a city two hours away. The phone number is disconnected, and a reverse Google suggest the owner is (was?) 90 years old. Can't find an address or any other info, so that's a dead end.

Given the age of that lookup the owner may be too, if it's correct. :(

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Jesus, how much did that visit cost? :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

The expression on the fireman's face is some A+ poo poo

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I love birds, everybody. Today, I was lying back, with my infant son sleeping on my chest, and Yoshi the budgie standing on my foot and making a puffy happy face at the baby while my wife watched and smiled, and I'm just... I'm very lucky. I love birds.

Has Yoshi kinda put together that baby = new friend? Pets interacting with babies can be some of the cutest poo poo, my grandma's dog would curl up with my younger brother when he was an infant and we'd visit. :3:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, sort of. He's learned the baby's name now and says "Hi [baby]!" which was really quick, even for him to learn, and he walks as close as we'll let him and makes tiny chirps at him. :)

Tendai posted:

When Judah learned that my niece was a friend when she was about 2 he'd always just chatter up a storm at her :3:

:kimchi:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

god drat i love derpatiels

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Captain Log posted:

When she walked inside the first words out of her mouth were, "What sort of pitiful nerd would have birds?"

:wtc: how the gently caress can you think that's an appropriate thing to say to someone you've presumably just met

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

FYI Chapo Trap House stumbled across Skillet's "Bush did 9/11" video :stare: they love it

Just thought you should know in the unlikely event one of them actually links it

Can I get a link because if it's a bird screaming about 9/11 conspiracies like some sort of avian Alex Jones I need that poo poo in my life.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Clary posted:

This one is much better! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5I_klBLJ4

Incidentally, I have a metric gently caress ton of videos I never got around to editing. I kind of lost steam when I broke my phone. May try and pick through and get some up.

Mirthless posted:

that's great, i'm glad they enjoyed it

practically the intended audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOpqwn9NHJo

we've got some more of these kicking around somewhere, this was just the one most at hand

:vince: holy poo poo

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

My stepdad spent a few days at home recently with a Hickman Line when he was back from chemo at the hospital and I felt so bad for him. poo poo looks like a massive pain in the rear end and he couldn't really take a proper shower because he had to basically cover the entire side of his torso with it in saran wrap so it couldn't get wet. Worst I've ever had to put up with was the phlebotomist during a hospital stay being totally unable to get a vein to the point they said gently caress it and went for my foot instead.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Just be glad they didn't bust out the ultrasound machine and an 18 gauge needle.

Just...be glad. :)

:gibs:

Pookah posted:

Lady budgie lovin' update: After they were done trying to mate, Bean sat there looking like a smug potato and Miss Lady got all tall and chesty and made heartwings at her. :3:

Adorable lesbians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

He's missin' the little chef hat.