Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Meet Pretzel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

We've had him about a year. My partner had been wanting a pet since she's been working from home alone all day, and our apartment doesn't allow dogs, so we got a budgie. He was only 3 months old and within a week he was hanging out on our shoulders and spending most of his time outside his cage.

After getting him we noticed he had some breathing issues and then we discovered mold and had to get ride of a bed frame, 2 night stands, an entertainment center, some clothes and bags, and 3 chairs. Our landlord cleaned and painted the problem walls and we have damprid in every corner of the apartment and a dehumidifier now. His health has been good since...maybe he was the canary in our coal mine?

Getting a friend soon since partner is going to have to work in person more

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Rotten Cookies posted:

Apologies for self-tweet, but I realized I never posted this in here

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1564998816037740545

Hi, Pretzel!

Does peanut lick you?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Loaf season is upon us

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

He may look big but from my understanding he's on the smaller end for an English budgie. He's only about 50 grams most days. His little half brother is more around 45.

Thanks for the hoya ID lead. We honestly weren't sure. Its my partners moms plant and its probably 30 years old.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Pookah posted:

That enormous front floof and mighty muttonchops absolutely suggest English show budgie.
Is he very mild and extremely stupid, in a charming sort of way? That was my experience of an English show budgie.
Puff Puff was adorable and infuriating in equal measures to his cagemate. She had to literally kick him to get him to move out of her way.

Oh yeah I have no doubt he's English, he's just not exactly big. He's definitely on the mild side, especially compared to his little brother. He loves to just sit on my partners shoulder and lick her face.

Qubee posted:

I love these two more than I've loved some ex girlfriends, and they can be nastier than my exes at times. But I just adore them.

Sometimes I think about how empty I would feel if I were to lose them. It's a big fear of mine, because there is absolutely nothing in the way of avian vets in this country. But I give them the best life I can, they're constantly free flight and have all the toys and good food and a shuffled music playlist. They are such a huge part of what brings me happiness and joy. I think I'm going to start collecting their feathers and putting it in a glass jar, just as something to remember them by when they decide it's time to go. It's already a few months away from being 3 years. 3 years since I was handfeeding them every two hours and seeing them sleeping tucked under my ear or on my lap as little tiny babies.

I've got a goal of getting them to Europe or the US and letting them live a life of luxury in a huge aviary. I just have to figure out how I can transport them without them being terrified. Air travel is ruled out as I think it's far too stressful of an experience. Driving might be a possibility. Currently the top of the list is sailing. I'd just sail them along the coast all the way to Europe.
I've been feeling similar about ours. I've never had birds before but they bring a lot to our space and are really fun. I love their little antics and how they follow us around and their chatter.

We've driven with ours on 8 hours trips a few times and they're okay. Theyve gotten bitchy with each other in the travel cage otherwise its fine. I hope you can find a solution when you move

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

You did good.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Plastic Pal posted:

Tried sleeping in a little bit after getting the birbs up and they saw fit to land on me and walk around on me. I think they were concerned about the unusually prone human. I feel so cared for. :3:

Ours follow us for nap time. When my partner is asleep on the couch our bigger bird usually copies her and falls asleep on her head or chest, and then our newer bird copies him and falls asleep nearby.

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 23, 2023

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

bee posted:

We've been having some King Parrots lurking around the house lately and Tux is Not Impressed.

Wow. Im very interested in visiting a place where wild parrots roam. Id love to see budgies in there natural habitat

Plastic Pal posted:

Little Miss LoLo is too cute for this world.
A little cloud baby

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My boys are annoyingly picky. In an effort to get them to try different things ive finally gotten them to like oatmeal...unfortunately now this means when I make myself a bowl they try to land on the rim and eat it. Now i have to get them their own little individual oatmeal bowls so I can eat in peace

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 23, 2023

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Our older budgie was the odd one out in his cage at the store and was picked on by his siblings. We had him as an only bird for a year and he absolutely loves people, especially my partner, but still never lets anyone pet him. He will stand on your shoulder and lick your face and fall asleep on you but refuse any touch towards him. Our second bird liked being pet when he was really little at the store and still let's me pet him sometimes, but overall is less sociable to people and more bitey. Its interesting to see their differences

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Well, the vet assured me months ago that it'd be safe to add another bird to my family after losing Pesto so a few days ago, I picked out a new little buddy. I wanted to wait a little while and use the time to bond with Dijon and we managed to become very good friends. He even lets me open pin feathers on his face with tweezers or a finger.

Still haven't decided on a name for him yet! Thinking of Blue Cheese Buffalo or Bluchee for short.

He's already tame and steps up. He watched Dijon and I interact for the first little bit and I guess he knows I'm a safe object. Dijon's thrilled at having company again.

Off to a great start!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Captain Log posted:

Somedays, Blue is feeling his nine or so years and gets pretty invested in napping.

But not before making sure he is blocking Yellow from any potential threads, like a giant with a camera on his phone.

They look real cozy.

I want to get a little platform like that for our guys. The older one seems to like laying down flat and napping with my partner on the couch and they don't really have anything to lay on like that in the cage

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'm really glad both our budgies (males) have never bit that hard. Theyve left marks once or twice but haven't drawn blood or even really been painful unless it's on the face.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Didn't take me long. My pattern recognition is off the charts.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Wanted to have some similar funny pictures of our birds and the tree. We got a national forest harvest permit and cut one down, but it was snowy and when the snow melted back at the house the tree was covered in sooty mold. Not bringing that inside!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Pooping on the toilet paper for easy disposal

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Anyone else reuse the poop? We have a sort of hammock set up in the cage for easier cleaning and I dump in potting soil or the yard. I've got a ground cherry where the soil mix was heavily incorporated with budgie poo poo and its been growing fantastically.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

mediaphage posted:

it’s a lovely thought but i can’t be arsed and just toss it in the compost bin

Hey that works too. We've done that as well but it's been easier to dump the hammock outside then try to get it all into our little bin.

RoboRodent posted:

Sometimes I put the poop in with my Christmas cactus, and it seems to be thriving.
I think all of our houseplants have some amount of poo in them at this point. At least everything but the orchids

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

it took them a little bit to figure it out, but having a "foraging tray" to keep them occupied in the evening has been great

still not letting the fuckers out when we eat dinner. They act indifferent for a bit but it always ends with one bird bumrushing my plate and the other close behind

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Captain Log I have stolen your bird. He is chilling with ours now. I will give him back for $1K

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

when they swarm me and cling to my clothes it brings back childhood memories of June bugs landing on me and getting their little claws caught in my clothes

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

What species are they?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Aww. That's kind of cute in a sad way, like leaves going from a tree.

Looking over them I kind of wish we had found out about them before we got our budgies. Ours are great and we have no regrets, but the screaming contests can be grating at times

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Speaking of baths...

Whenever we do the dishes these guys always think "bath time!" and rush the sink. I called in sick today so I took the time to get them a proper bath

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Ours used to bath in their old water dish and still occasionally try to in the big one. We don't encourage it because we have carpet and live in a very humid environment and don't want to chance any mold

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Qubee posted:

So Chick went from a solid 2.5/10 on the health scale to a current bonkers 8.9/10 on the health scale. She's got this newfound energy and is really fulfilling the stereotype of budgies having no off-switch. As I type this, she's been continuously clambering all over me without an end in sight. I'm happy to see the medication doing it's job and bringing her to her former glory, but it has also acted as a stark reminder of just how exhausting it can be to deal with budgies. Especially hormonal (read: horny) ones. Constant burrowing into my clothes, followed by a sharp bite, and god have mercy on my soul if I try and extricate her from my person. She either burrows deeper or viciously defends what she perceives as her territory. Her violent and bloodthirsty nature is made up for with the occasional (actually quite often) cute bonding moments where she'll sleep close to me and let me give her beak some bops.

https://streamable.com/c398je
Thats great to hear

And also makes me glad we only have males

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

GoingPostal posted:

Can I as a favor of folks in here?

It's.... been a rough week, here at the Postal household, and it's only gonna get worse for a bit.

Can I get pics of your birds being adorable? I could really use the serotonin hit.

(Everyone is fine, it's just going to be a very rough week.)

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Turns out we have a chicken

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The Grip

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Qubee posted:

Does anyone else get that strong pang of emotion when their birds are asleep and you want them to be out and sitting nearby? It happens like once a week for me lol They're asleep right now and ever so slightly wishing they were out here causing mayhem

I dont mind. It means they're not causing mayhem at least. They usually take a early afternoon nap and then will nap around later in the evening, sometimes in weird places. Our yellow one likes will just fall asleep splayed on my partners shoulder or on her breasts while she's laying down.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

we will follow you around to every room
..just wanna see what's going on. Don't mind if I poop here

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Theyre like the bad guys from the dark crystal

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Benjamin button rear end babies

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Control Volume posted:

Not sure where else to post this, but yesterday I saw a very brave crow chase off a falcon of some kind by itself. It looked like the falcon tried to pursue when the crow initially took off, so it doubled back and divebombed the poo poo out of the falcon until they both flew out of sight. Got absolutely no support from other birds the entire time despite likely saving their asses with the racket it was making. Stay strong, crow friend.
Corvids are merciless towards birds of prey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

bee posted:

In other birb content: Tux usually prefers to sit on mr bee during the day while we're working, so long as he's in the house with me and hasn't gone outside to our little office cabin in the backyard. Which is fine, as long as Tux is chill and isn't getting the zoomies and flying into things he can sit where he likes.

But on the weekend, mr bee hurt his leg and hasn't been able to wear his prosthetic leg as a result so he's been using crutches to get around the house. Usually he only takes his prosthetic leg off to shower and sleep, so Tux is used to seeing him with a fake leg. But for the last few days, Tux has been preferring to sit on my shoulder, and he really seems to be wary of the crutches. Today I had to hand Tux to mr bee so I could use the bathroom, but Tux went straight down mr bee's arm and onto his thigh and seemed super interested in trying to figure out where mr bee's usual leg was. So I just found it funny that he's noticed all of sudden that something was up and went to investigate :3:

I didnt make the association of Mr bee and your name at first so I was confused and picturing Mr bee as some sort of weirdly named parrot with a prosthetic.