Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have an old Sharp Aquos, and want to hook up my PC speakers to it. Making sure I know how to go about this real quick. This is the back panel:

Cable box is hooked up to input 4, PS3 on input 5. I would need one of these to put in the audio terminals for input 5, correct? And the speakers would only show up for whatever is in input 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Don Lapre posted:

Those terminals are input, that appears to be to run an audiosource into the tv on input 5. You appear to only have a digital output.

Oh, derp, you're right. How do I accomplish this then?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

Just got a Vizio E550i-B2 today from Amazon, and I've been playing with it for the past few hours. I really love this TV, the picture quality is great, the bezel is tiny and it's surprisingly light at 33 lbs. For $678 this is a pretty awesome set.

Any more opinions on this? I need a 1080 set to replace a 9 year old 720p Aquos for some gaming, and the 48 inch version of this Vizio looks good price-wise. Any other suggestions maybe?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

No, 4k is 4k horizontal resolution (well not exactly but close) vs. 1920. It's 4 times the pixels.

If you're asking me, I'm still loving this TV. Awesome picture quality, really really in depth calibration settings, very light and thin.

Hm, I'll do a bit more research but I'm leaning towards this one.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I've narrowed my choices down to Samsung's 46" EH5000, EH5300, F5000 ,and F5500 models due to price, input lag, and viewing angle (this research prompted me to actually measure the angle in which I play console games: 24 degrees, knocking the Vizios out of my selection). One of my concerns is if I want a smart TV. I have an HTPC I usually use to watch stuff on my TV, and I don't have or really plan to have Netflix or other streaming options. What advantages does a smart TV bring? Also, does model year matter than much when comparing for quality? The EH models are 2012 and the F are 2013 and I'd rather a cheaper 2012 if there is not noticeably worse picture quality.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

That's the TV I just bought yesterday (I got the 46in one), still waiting on it to ship. From all I read it seems to be really good for the price which prompted me to buy it. Sorry I don't have any first hand experience yet.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I posted this in the Video Questions thread, before realizing that thread hadn't been touched since April. So I'll just repost it here:

I have Time Warner for my TV, and I recently got annoyed with my 7 year old cable box being noisy and hot even while turned off. They said there is a "greener" box, but it doesn't have HDMI. Aside from the fact that I'm baffled as to why my options are either HDMI or electricity hog in the goddamn year 2014, Component cable aren't going to give me any worse of a signal for regular HD TV viewing, right?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

wa27 posted:

Surely Time Warner isn't still giving out boxes from 2007? I can't believe they don't have a new tiny box like every other cable company.

But yeah, component is fine for cable. I actually hook up with component just to free up an HDMI port on my TV.

Well, my parents have had the box since like 2007 or so, and my choice was either stick with it or use the newer HDMI-less box. So I don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

wa27 posted:

In that case I can't believe they don't have a new box with HDMI. It makes me think the rep you talked to was just confused.

I'll talk to them again in the morning to see whats up, because yeah it baffled me too. Though being TWC that level of incompetency wouldn't shock me.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not too up on TVs, when do new models come out? I've been feeling the upgrade itch all year, currently on a 1080p Samsung from ~2014. More than likely I'll get a TCL 6 series, are they normally refreshed in spring?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

halokiller posted:

CES is when many of the big brands announce the new models. If you do any sort of gaming HDMI 2.1 is the new thing everyone is waiting to upgrade for.

Ah ok. Is HDMI 2.1 going to have 4K60 as it's big selling point? I'm used to gaming on a PC so aside from my Switch I don't do much TV gaming

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Monday_ posted:

HDMI 2.0 already does 4K60. 2.1 can do up to 10K120, along with support for variable refresh rates.

Ohhh, that'd be handy. Thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Well that's exciting, I'd just posted a while back about new TCL stuff since I had an upgrade itch. One question though, how is the internet connectivity on them? I have a Roku stick + at the moment, and it never reports good speeds despite being literally 10 feet from my AP. I had a 100Mbps connection, recently upgraded to a 400Mbps one, and my Roku usually reads 50-60Mbps as it's speed. I'm worried with a new 4K TV it'll have a garbage Roku built in like this and I won't be able to take advantage of the speed for 4K content

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Taima posted:

4K streaming is like 15Mbps.

Oh wow, I did not realize it was that low

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, the Roku is ~10 feet across a hallway from my AP. I'm gonna upgrade to the new 6 series probably next year, whenever they get their first big sale. If it's wifi is somehow not up to snuff (it probably should be with what you've mentioned) it shouldn't be a problem to run an Ethernet cable straight down to the router

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I'm doing some TV research and I'm caught up on one dumb thing. Viewing angle. On my PC monitor I cannot do a non-IPS panel. I am very sensitive the differing colors at different angles. However, I'm fairly certain my current TV (Samsung UN46F5000 from either 2013 or 2014) is a VA and it doesn't bother me even though I do a decent amount of watching way off-axis. Like 40 degrees off axis. Now what I'm asking is, my TV is assuredly VA right? Its not IPS? I tried to do research but I'm not finding that out.And if it is a VA, I'd be ok with a modern VA panel if I'm ok with my current one right?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

TITANKISSER69 posted:

TCL 55R625 $500 shipped - includes 2 free Google Home minis.

I am so tempted to jump on this and upgrade my 46" Samsung from like 2014. But at the same time I want to wait and see what the 2020 version brings

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Number_6 posted:

A/V sync is the bane of digital content & hardware. I've been watching quite a bit of Season 1 of 30 Rock on Amazon Prime, and wondering what the gently caress is wrong with my gear (or the Amazon Roku app) because it sometimes seems like the audio is several frames ahead of the video. But now I just checked using my PC, and see the same issue. I think the actual source content is hosed. If anyone doesn't have anything better to do, please check out the first minute of Season 1, Episode 21, and let me know if the lipsync is way off.

Played the first minute, sync is off on my PC too

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

My Micro Center is selling refurbished 55" CX for $999, I'm super tempted to upgrade from my 2013 Samsung 4?", I see it's last year's TV, is there anything I'm missing out on and is that a good price?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Will you get to see how bad the burn-in is before taking it home?

I have no idea. Never bought a TV from Micro Center before. I imagine I can just return it if there's anything wrong

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Weird question, but do any modern TVs have blue light filters? Like flux or night mode on a smartphone

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Cool, thanks for the answers!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

C1 is the goto choice for PS5/XSX gaming correct?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

It’s pretty good. I haven’t even configured gaming mode or anything and it’s fine for this old. Feels snappy and looks amazing. Forbidden West in resolution mode is just wow.

VectorSigma posted:

I use my CX for PC driving sims and it makes me wish I had three of them.

Welp guess I’m buying one then

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Oh, I guess the last firmware update for the B9 I have added Instant Game Response because I get that pop-up now. Nice.

And yeah, the C2 will likely dethrone the C1 given its lighter and brighter. Who knows if price will factor in though!

I mean I’m always going to be inches away from the next big thing and have a console coming. Plus I’m ready to upgrade from a 9 year old Samsung 44”

And being $1300 I figured sure

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I’m curious what everyone uses for picture settings on the C1/CX/C9 or whatever. Immediately after getting it out of the box I used rtings calibration guide and it looked… flat. I mean I’m not one for Samsung level popping colors but it wasn’t good to my eyes. I found a couple other similar guides from r/pled gaming and had the same result. Today I was watching something and it prompted me to plug my 10 year old tv that this replaced to check and everything was definitely more vivid. I ended up just switched back to standard and bumping the color temp to neutral.

All the guides I saw had color temp at maximum warm was and barely any contrast. After putting it at mostly stock settings my eyes were way happier

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

I use the settings from this post: https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

This question comes up a lot for the LG OLEDs, it might be a good idea to have this linked in the OP and make mention of it in the thread title.

I think the biggest different is the contrast and color temperature. Max warmness feels so wrong to my eyes. I’ll have to check the setting I had but I swear contrast was lower than that guide or the rtings one. Or maybe color depth? One of those two felt too muted compared to the stock “standard” setting

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Is there a way to get a C1 to always launch to YouTube?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

TheLastManStanding posted:

Sort of: you can set any app to a quick access button and then you can turn the tv on using that button to boot straight into the app.

Ohhh I knew the first half but not the second half. Thanks!

Edit: That doesn’t seem to work. I have a few presets set, and no matter what I turn the tv on with it goes straight to my console in input 1

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 24, 2022

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I just now noticed there a specific port on my C1 for 120hz. I currently have an Apple TV 4K (new one) and a PS5 hooked up. Is there any content on either that supports that frame rate?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

All HDMI ports on the LG C1 support 120hz.

Ah, the one I looked at said 4k120hz and my brain assumed it was the only one that’d do 120hz period. Awesome!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

If I’m remembering right my March delivered 55” C1 had an Evo panel. What’s this about extra brightness?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Am I crazy for thinking the C1 sounds really good? Like I always feel like I should buy a sound bar because everyone says to, but I love how the TV speakers sound. I’m even coming from a PC with good quality bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I have an LG C1 and I’ve been noticing it’s changing the brightness during a show with every scene switch and it’s getting distracting. I can tell because the subtitles are sometimes bright and sometimes dim. It really clicked when watching Ted Lasso and two characters were in a room. Camera on one character, bright and normal. Camera on another in the same room, dim. Switching back and forth as the conversation continued. No settings have changed that I can tell?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I did just do an update last week, none of those settings seem to be on and affecting anything?

Edit: Watching via Apple TV 4K if that makes a difference

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

Is Dolby Vision turn on in the Apple TV settings? If so try turning it off and re-watching a scene where you noticed the problem. See if that has an effect.

I ask because Dobly Vision can also mess with the brightness and color on the fly and if it's a poor implementation in a particular show it might stand out.

I just came back to post that after finding out. Seems like it was the culprit!