Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
What manufacturer of plasmas should I be considering now that Panasonic is no longer in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm looking to replace my aged 2008 Samsung LN46A650, mostly due to it's relative small size and large footprint. My usage will probably be 80% watching movies and 20% playing console games. I own a Xbox 360 and the only games I play on it are console exclusives, right now being GTA5 (and Dark Souls 2 until the PC version drops); any kind of twitch FPS shooter is played on my gaming PC. To whit, I've narrowed down my candidates to the following:

1) Samsung PN60F8500

Pro: According to CNET it's the best image quality available outside of OLEDs and Panasonic plasmas (which aren't available)

Con: Display Lag says it's has pretty poo poo input lag at 62ms, and I believe that's in "Game Mode", too. Otherwise it's 100ms of input lag.

2) Sony KDL-55W900A

Pro: The best IQ for a LED TV and stupid low input lag.

Con: Is not a plasma.

So the question is which one is going to be the best value for me? Is my moderate console gaming habit worth compromising on image quality?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

LorneReams posted:

AS someone who looked at plasmas and the Sony KDL-55W900A, the Sony looked MUCH better to me then the plasmas I was comparing it to. The only drawback to the Sony was the price.

bull3964 posted:

FYI, Samsung has apparently scrapped the H7000. So, their only new plasma this year is the H5000 and they will continue to sell the F8500 through 2014.

At this point though, I think they are in stock run-out mode. I'm betting Samsung will quietly exit plasma in early 2015.

I ended up getting the 51" F8500 from my local Best Buy.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
My viewing distance is 8 feet and my old 46" Samsung ln46a650 seemed to do just fine. I only upgraded to a new samsung F8500 50" plasma because I wanted a newer panel.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm considering buying a second TV for use as a dedicated PS4Pro gaming display. In my living room I have a last generation Samsung 8 series plasma used for light PS4 gaming and movie/TV show consumption.

I've narrowed down the units I'm interested in to the Samsung KS8000 or the LG OLED B6. I'm heavily leaning towards the OLED, but the 4K HDR mode input lag gives me pause. LG says this will be fixed via firmware, but will they really follow up on it? The 35-40 ms of lag present in Game mode for SDR content should work fine for me (my Plasma is about that much), but the 60ms in 4K-HDR would be unacceptable. I want as future-proof of a TV as I can get, as I typically only replace my sets every 6 years.

The KS8000 sounds like a fantastic display, with the caveat that it's an edge-lit LCD and the PQ might be disappointing coming from a Plasma. However, I game on an IPS display at my PC so I'm used to the common pitfalls in LCD tech. All the other features of it tick the boxes, especially the price.

My understanding is the new year models don't typically arrive until the summer months. I *could* wait that long, but I'd really like to get something soonish. I don't mind paying the extra money for the LG OLED if it's going to give me a superior experience to the KS8000, but am leery because of the HDR game mode input lag. If LG had not promised to correct it with a firmware update it would be a no-go for me.

Any recommendations?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

comper posted:

I'd personally go with a 65" over a 55" any day, but the OLED PQ will be somewhat better which is a given at this point in time.

Related to this, I'm only considering 50-55" screen sizes as I'd be sitting no further than 6-8' away. Is 55" even too large for that viewing distance?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Well, that made my decision on getting an OLED. Off to Best Buy this weekend.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Be aware the update isn't live for the B6 yet. That's not too say it isn't coming, but it uses a different internal hardware platform so it isn't in sync with the other models.

So, if you intended to buy the B6, you'll still be waiting.

Thanks for the heads up. I may hedge my bets and go for the 55E6 in that case. How is the sound bar on that?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Any reason not to go with the C6? I was hesitant on the curved screen but now that I have it at home the curve is so subtle that I often don't notice it.

I'll check out the C6 then. My local BB has the 55 C6 and 65 E6 in stock, but I think the 65 is too rich for my blood.

I will need a sound bar of some kind, hence the question about the E6. I'll make a pit stop to BB and see how I like the C6 curve.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

Do you have to shop at best buy? You can save significantly shopping elsewhere...

I live in Alaska. Amazon won't ship TVs to me.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

It still may be worth calling Cleveland Plasma.

Have you bought from them?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Ah, I didn't know that. I sent him an email, see if he can ship to AK. I haven't trudged down to my local Best Buy yet, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them trying to sell the TVs for more than their web prices.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
My local Best Buy has the 55C6P for $1999, which is less than their web price and Amazon. Conversely, the 55E6P is up to $2799. Maybe a pricing mistake? I feel like I should jump on the C6P for that price!

They didn't have a C6P on display, but they had the E6P and I'm really not impressed with that stand - it's wobbly as hell for a $2800 TV.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

I ordered from Cleveland Plasma and got a better deal than I will likely ever see locally.

Speaking of which, I emailed the owner about an LG OLED at your suggestion and he just straight up stopped responding to my emails once he said he needed to get formal shipping quotes. I have little doubt that shipping to me was going to make an order not feasible, but it was still pretty disappointing to get ghosted. I sent him a gentle follow up email and still nothing. I recognize that some people just respond better with phone communication, but if I'm going to spend thousands of dollars on electronics I'd prefer at least some of the correspondence to be electronic so I have a record.

It killed my momentum moving forward with a purchase from any vendor, so the silver lining is I saved a bunch of money :v:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

Weird. I think he gets a lot of people on fishing expeditions and the reason why he's cheap is because the customer service isn't a bunch of back and forth.

I dunno. I read a million reviews. Got the price within 2 emails, then called and ordered. I used my AmEx's purchase protection for all of the protection I felt like I needed.

Seems pretty easy to pick up a phone and go "Do you ship to Alaska? How much for a 65" OLED with that shipping?" Not like you don't get an invoice immediately and shipping within 24 hours but idk.

Yeah I'm not certain what was up. I mean, I asked about the price for a 55 and 65 OLED, and if he shipped to Alaska. He said yup, here's the price before shipping, need your full address to get an actual shipping quote. I provided it, and then nothing. Sent a note a couple days later to check on if he'd had a chance to getting a shipping cost to my address, and then nothing.

It's not a huge deal, and if I was more committed I'd just pick up the phone and call. I still think shipping to Alaska turned out to be more trouble than it was worth and it was easy for him to focus on other customers. I don't necessarily blame him.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Did the LG B6P ever get the HDR lag patch that was promised?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

How does the UN70KU630D at Costco compare to the KS8000? Does Costco sell a KS8000?

Costco does have the KS8000, I believe it's called the xxxxxx800D.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I was considering getting a 2016 OLED back around Christmas time, but decided to sit and wait as I had other priorities. I picked up a PS4 Pro recently and now that itch is back. I see that the 2017 OLEDs have been announced, though they won't be available until March. If I'm really only interested in 4K/HDR gaming, and maybe some 4K HDR streaming (mostly as a novelty at this point, I don't plan on getting BluRay UHD any time soon), is there a tangible enough improvement in the 2017 sets that make them worth waiting for over just grabbing a 55/65 C6 this weekend?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

comper posted:

We don't have any concrete numbers for input lag / gaming mode input lag for the new sets. I have a C6 and HDR games like Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 not only look amazing, but they also play perfectly fine - I can't tell a difference from the KS8500 it replaced and that one had one of the lowest input lags of any TV last year. Also, a racing game and a shooting game would definitely be two genres that would make any significant input lag apparent, and they don't. If you want the latest and greatest, 25% brighter screen (highlights, overall brightness has yet to be tested... and the C6 looks great to me even in a well lit room), the new WebOS, etc. then go ahead and wait. I had the option to return and wait with the 45 day Best Buy return policy but I didn't and don't see anything worthwhile to wait for the new ones or pay the extra cost to get one. My main uses in order are UHD Blu Rays/streaming content from Netflix/Amazon, cable tv, and a little bit of gaming here and there. If you can get the 2016 model you are looking at for a good price, I'd personally say pull the trigger.

Thanks for the input. Best Buy has both sizes of C6 available for the same price as Amazon, so I'll take a look this weekend. I live in a remote part of the nation, Alaska, so shipping is prohibitive and I'm limited to local retailers only. The 55 C6P is ~$2300 which seems very reasonable, and what I'm leaning towards. I have a 51" Samsung Plasma in my living room that I use for media consumption - the OLED would just be for gaming at this point - and a second OLED targeted for TV use would replace the Plasma whenever that gets long in the tooth. That would probably be a 2017 model if need be.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Awesome. Is there any appreciable difference between a 55 vs. 65 besides, obviously, the size? I know the Samsung KS8000 has a different panel entirely in I think the 60" size, something like that (or other performance metrics) shouldn't be the case with OLEDs, right?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah, the 55" would be perfectly fine in my home office with a 6' viewing distance. The 65" would be almost too large, but more than anything it costs over a grand more than the 55".

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Turn on HDMI Deep Color. It's buried in the general settings menu.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Well, I was able to enable HDR on the PS4 with the E6P but now occasionally it like just goes to black? And at one point while I was playing it just went to black and stayed that way until I turned HDR off so uhhh I guess that scene was very dark indeed!

Hopefully that's just a bug that gets patched out sometime

I think there is a handshaking bug. I turned off HDCP handshake in the PS4 options menu as soon as I got my C6 based on stuff I read on the internet. No issues for me. I don't watch media on my PS4 so hdcp isn't needed for my uses.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
There seems to be a bunch of hoopla over a LG firmware update for the 2016 OLEDs that has made the HDR gaming mode significantly dimmer. Does anyone here have one of these sets and give can give impressions of the update? I'm still on the firmware that introduce the HDR game mode on my C6, 4.30.95.

Is this being significantly overblown by the Internet, or is it really that big of a deal?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

I just now got the HDR game bug everyone is talkin about haha

I think the thing was before the games I played didn't actually support HDR so the TV never went into HDR mode, on the E6P

Are you referring to the dim HDR game mode?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have an LG 2016 OLED, is there a difference in any of the HDMI inputs? I'm making sure my Apple TV / Computer are hooked up to the "best" inputs.

All inputs are the same except HDMI2 has ARC if I recall correctly. The only thing to be mindful of is turning the input to PC mode for 4:4:4 Chroma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Where do you do this?

In the menu where you select the active input there is an option to change the input's label. Switch to PC.