Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

HoneyBoy posted:

I'm not sure how interested anyone is in this but I just saw this on /a/ and it's really neat.

Someone wrote down all the little symbols you see throughout the movie and figured out that they're actually piano notes when read from top to bottom and right to left, or something.

These glyphs also appear on the bottom left corner of the new NERV logo.

Curious if anything comes up if those gets translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Watching 3.33. again for the first time since I watched it a couple years ago and I think it's better the second time around. The CG is poo poo, which is sad given how good the CG is in 1.11 and 2.22 but overall I think it's a really interesting departure in plot and I'm incredibly excited for where 4.44 will go.

I love that it's pretty much Anno once again pulling the rug out from under the viewers. Everyone that thought Rebuild would be this badass, self-actualized Shinji gets to see that "guts and hard work" just hosed everything up even worse and he's still a giant turd. He's so selfish that he won't even listen to his only friend when he tells him to NOT pull the spears out.

This time around the piano scene seems even more blatant in telling us that Shinji is re-creating the world over and over until he gets his happy ending. "Just keep practicing until you get a sound you like."

So hype for the next one.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Been lurking this thread for a while and definitely had some FEELINGS after finishing Waypoint's discussion of NGE and where I think they were insightful and on point and were I think they were incredibly off. I ended up making a big twitter thread to address a lot of the issues they specifically had with 25/26 and EoE and I'm curious about y'alls thoughts. https://twitter.com/roobots/status/1157334820223160320?s=20

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

SebastianK posted:

I haven't quite processed it yet but that definitely felt, if nothing else, cathartic.

Same exact thoughts. It's not perfect, but it's cathartic and hopeful. I'm definitely gonna watch it a few more times.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

This might be getting too deep into things that Anno would prefer I don't care about but I do wish they were a little clearer about Shinji remaking everything at the end. It seemed like he made an existence for Kaworu (Commander Nagisa, retiring and hanging out with Kaji and Misato in retirement), he made a world for Rei to basically set her on the same path of discovery as Rei 6 and shot Asuka back to Kenosuke in the current world. Also all the WILLE pods and creatures and everything being safe at the end in the current world is a new beginning for that same world. But then we also see that Shinji created a world without Evas, literally just what would happen to everyone if Evas didn't exist and does that just... erase everything the movie set up earlier? The new life people are forging in the village, etc? Or do we just have a bunch of different realities co-existing now? I loved the movie but that's my biggest question because it makes the reset feel a bit weird.

Beyond that this really felt like the most straightforward and cathartic Evangelion. EoE resonates with me a little more because I think it's a realistic hopeful ending from someone in the throes of intense depression. Thrice's ending feels more hopeful from a perspective that has already come out the other side, with all of the traumas addressed. And while Thrice's CG looks pretty good (except for when it purposefully looks bad in the sound stage fight), most CG animation is just really bad at communicating weight and intensity. It's great at sweeping camera movement and having LOTS of poo poo going on, which can be effective, but for me tends to lose out to more focused action like the Asuka fight from EoE.

The village stuff is probably the strongest part of the movie, but it wouldn't be Evangelion if we didn't have meta-robot-magic-bullshit and I think they did it incredibly well here. Gendo having to go through the interiority sequence that most everyone else did in 25 & 26 was a treat and fulfilling in a way I truly did not expect. Overall a great ending to the series and better than I expected.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Raxivace posted:

This does make me wonder how much Anno is writing himself into Gendo these days. I always figured in the original NGE Gendo was likely based on Anno's own father, but now I have to wonder if he isn't imagining what would happen to him if he lost Moyoco when he writes Gendo in Rebuild.

Obviously all speculation but some people have attributed Gendo to Anno's relationship with Miyazaki as well. And Kaworu with Utena director Ikuhara. Not entirely sure how much water those hold, but the Gendo/Miyazaki thing is interesting as he is known to be an incredibly harsh mentor, even to his own son. Regarding Mari, supposedly Anno didn't come up with her but rather the producer pushed for the Remakes to have a new female main character and Anno didn't really have much to do with her development. It does feel like over the course of the series they figured out what to do with her and her personality solidified a bit more into, as previously mentioned, basically Anno's wife.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Well then what happens to everyone in the village, does it not exist? Did Shinji rewind time

I like Lih's interpretation here, though it still makes some threads narratively unsatisfying. Like Asuka found that happiness with Kensuke, but in Shinji's world she is clearly on the train platform apart from Rei/Kaworu, which felt particularly odd that she didn't get a zoom in as they did. So that's just... gone. As is every other experience, which I don't love. As far as rewinding, Shinji is pretty clear that the only change he is making is making a world without EVA, so just remove all the sci-fi out of the equation. None of the impacts ever happen, NERV, SEELE, all of that stuff doesn't need to exist. It's why everyone is older in the final shots. Shinji is aged the 14 years he lost, as is Mari, which means Curse of EVA never happened.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Based on the documentary, they talk about his relationship with his father and I'll just got with it is his about his father probably.

Ah I need to watch it! Good call.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Another thing here is that I read the final city is based on his hometown, my interpretation is that now all evangelions are gone he is free to simply finally continue to live his life and move on.

Right, the final shot is literally the JR Ube-Shinkawa station, which is Anno's hometown. I imagine Shinji and Mari were running out of the station on their way to go direct Shin Kamen Rider.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Gendo hugged Shinji and said he was sorry for abandoning him and I burst into tears

Gendo and Shinji having some closure was fantastic, but the Misato hug is where I really cried. I was so relieved to see them reunited and for Misato to finally trust him again.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

We all know the real ship that should've come out of this movie is Asuka x Mari .

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Just block out an afternoon/evening to watch the last 2 episodes and EoE back to back. EoE will help you digest a lot of what happens in 25 & 26, provide some answers but probably lots of questions too.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

EoTV and EoE are alternate paths, as said by some of the people working on EoE. There are also little hints that while the events may play out similarly, there are differences in whatever went down (Rei clothed vs unclothed when meeting Gendo, Ritsuko shot in the front vs the back.) The metaphor that was given was of alternate endings to a game, I believe.

That doesn't mean they don't complement each other or one is superior or one overwrites the other. Both have different lessons and seemingly demonstrate different takes on the ending and metaphysical concepts. EoTV depicts Gendo "winning" and a particular version of Instrumentality that isn't the amorphous egoless hell of EoE. EoE depicts SEELE "winning" and a much darker version of Instrumentality. EoTV is a much more uplifting ending whereas EoE is an existential nightmare from start to finish.

Acting as if EoE is the true untold final ending that overwrites EoTV is doing a disservice to both, I think, and results from fans wanting to "solve" Evangelion. No different from how fans need for the Rebuild films to be sequels to End of Evangelion and not just their own thing that put a different spin on the universe.

There are so many conflicting accounts of what is going on with the ending, which I think is kind of the fun of it. Some things are more cut and dry but a lot is left up to interpretation. I largely feel that EoTV, EoE and (Rebuild spoilers) Rebuild are all cycles of Shinji trying to find happiness. The relationship between Shinji and Gendo is crucial to Evangelion and EoTV barely addresses it. EoE doesn't have Gendo and Shinji interacting at all. Thrice Upon a Time (the third time we're seeing a world recreated by Shinji, even though all of the Kaworu coffins on the moon imply there have been far more than three reboots) finally has Shinji and Gendo do what they should have done the whole time: talk and resolve their relationship.

Seeing EoE in the theater also really made it clear, so many things in Rebuild (especially Thrice) are either thematic or direct callbacks to EoE. I'd go as far as just calling EoE and Rebuild sequels to EoTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah Yui wanted to be a sign that humanity existed, even long after humanity itself was gone. We don't really know enough about her character to know why this was so important to her, or how she'll feel after a few quintillion years floating in space alone, but we also don't really know what level of consciousness she has in the eva anyways.

It's unclear what happens to Gendo at the end, he's the only person we see still bloodied and non-tanged during instrumentality, so it's fully possible that Shinji explicitly wanted him and him alone to be exempt from the process. However after seeing (what's left of) his corpse, we then see the three Reis standing and watching him - which is what happens before someone gets merged into instrumentality. I think his fate is meant to be deliberately vague and up to the viewer's interpretation. As for his motivations, Yui was seemingly the only person Gendo really connected with, and yeah his plan was basically to start instrumentality solely so he could see her again, and he seemingly didn't give a poo poo if anyone else was cool with instrumentality.

I always got the impression that Yui was 1000 steps ahead of everyone and wanted to make sure that if/when poo poo went down, Shinji would be protected. Best way to do that is set up a scenario where Instrumentality could come under his control and allow him to be God so that he could rebirth reality in a way that made him happy. It makes Yui read as still being shady as hell, but her motivations were from a place of loving her son.