Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Whats an eva, just like... some freudian thing, or, um, Am I real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

getitoffgetitoff posted:

The alternate universe is the only part of the English dub where they absolutely outdid the original, in my opinion. It feels like whoever was in charge of the dub just got what they were going for there.

"Shinji you pervert when I said get up I didn't mean it like that!"

"What, its the morning, get off my back."

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

I watched the show and one of the movies. I didn't get it at all. Is there a good source that explains what was going on at the end?

Don't worry about it, no one knows.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is one of those statements where I give it perfect 50/50 odds of being sarcasm or not.

How could it possibly be anything other than sarcasm

The only outright good ending gainax has ever had is Fooly Cooly.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Gunbuster's is amazing, Diebuster's is okay, Panty and Stocking's is hilarious, both of Evangelion's are great... I realize people get upset about them, but those people are largely wrong. :colbert:

In fact the only Gainax ending I wouldn't defend (out of the show's I've seen and finished -- couldn't be arsed with Nadia) is TTGL, on thematic grounds, and it's still way too pretty and emotionally effective to call it bad.

Eva's ending is literally the most insane poo poo ever made.

EoE is literally the second most insane thing ever made.

P&S is a bullshit last minute twist out of nowhere for absolutely no reason. Universally hated. (granted, its Panty and stocking, so it doesn't cut as deep as it would in a serious show)

GL is almost universally disliked. It is considered thematically inconsistent by most, and even the people who do like the ending content wise have to admit its poorly told.

Never seen the busters, but I've seen plenty of anger about them

Gainax is legendary for loving up endings

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

When I think of people saying "Gainax'd" it largely boils down to two groups: Eva complaints and Mahoromatic complaints.

edit: hey idiot stop dropping opinions as if they are fact when saying poo poo is bad or not. I thought P&S's ending was perfect. I thought EOE was a magnificent mindfuck.

Really, the issue a lot of folks have had with some of Gainax's endings are their gimmick of killing female leads. It's happened in two, possibly more(haven't watched all of Gainax's catalog) series, and really, I was fine with BOTH show's endings that involved those aside from those pretty needless parts.

I'm not trying to paint my own opinions as fact, these are just fairly common thoughts about Gainax endings. Regardless of your thoughts on GL's ending theme-wise, you have to admit it could have been done better (which in turn would have reduced the rage over it). When the last ep of Panty and stocking dropped people stared to call it "the day gainax ruined christmas". Gainax endings are extremely divisive at best.

Edged Hymn posted:

EoE's ending is glorious. Seriously, it's loving art.

Yeah I'll fuckin' fight you if you dislike Eva's endings. That poo poo is gloriously insane. Shinji floats in the black void of his self conscious as he psycho analyzes himself is the only time I have ever stared at screen and truly felt disbelief. And then in EoE Rei strips naked, turns into the stay puft marshmallow man and turns the world into tang.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:raise:

I dunno man, if the second statement is accurate than we don't disagree about the important things.

You and I love the ending, but plenty of people don't. Even if you do, you have to admit its pretty drat crazy. When I say "good" I mean there isn't really a significant contingent of people who get up in arms about the ending. No matter what you think of the finales to the shows we've been discussing, a non insignificant number of people find them dissatisfying or unacceptable. Hence, Gainax's rep for "not being good at endings".

Anyway, I'm sure 4 will blow us away when it plumbs new depths of insanity.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Gaseous Snake posted:

I kinda felt this way when I watched one of the special features of Deadman Wonderland and saw the voice actor for uh, what's his name. Ganta. He's super weird as gently caress and I no longer want to know what voice actors look or act like ever again.

Never look up what a VA looks like in real life. They never fit, ever.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Well wasn't her mom Japanese. It's totally not ridiculous to assume that they spoke Japanese in the Langley-Soryhu household, and so Asuka is probably bilingual.

Yeah Asuka is a fluent Japanese speaker but she can't read it. Makes sense to assume she picked it up by speaking with her mom.

House Louse posted:

I'm not as hot on Rebuild as these guys, but it's certainly interesting, especially 3 in my opinion because it diverges the most from the original series. And the production values are much better (there's a representative still in the OP, probably comparison videos on YouTube.)

I think the dub has added German lines for Asuka because Tiffany Grant speaks good German.

Yeah. The scene where asuka gets the call from home is all in totally real german. Grants accent is supposedly poo poo, though. :v:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

I CAN FEEL IT IN MY BONES, ENOUGH TO MAKE MY SPIRIT GLOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rMcBwbZbKM

jesus gently caress are you sure this isn't a professional trailer?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

This couldnt possible fit any better

Anyway most of the good videos have already been posted and I know this one has been posted earlier but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

fgwsss posted:

This may have been answered already but do we know when there's going to be a US release for 3.33?

Probably late 2014 at the earliest.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's the only way I can see it really working. They'd have to make a bunch of new Angels to make it good though. SOTC had the advantage of all the bosses basically boiling down to "Find weak spot, climb to weakspot (possibly using some clever method of mounting or weakening colossus), stab weakspot." I don't see how you'd even have any meaningful gameplay for angels like Ramiel or Leiliel, let alone gameplay that's both fun and doesn't require a dev team to be able to make entirely new mechanics for each boss.

Plus, I have no idea what you'd do inbetween fights. Maybe Persona 4 esque socializing/training stuff? With more despair, of course.

(Is this nws?)

>The Asuka Langley-Soryu Social link has reached its maximum level.

>Shinji Ikari has forged a bond that cannot be broken.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

ACanofPepsi posted:

I know this is the Eva thread, but could somebody familiar with the series give a one-sentence description of Cowboy Bebop? I'm sort of interested in it but all the descriptions of it are very generic and the name is silly but I've heard it's great.

The best.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

No, skip the first episode - go straight for the second. Episode one tries to establish poo poo and be all serious, while episode two lets you know what you're really in for with Cowboy Bebop. Go back later if you like it.

Episode one is one of the best, you are crazy. One of Bebop's strengths is its ability to balance serious drama and comedic adventure.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Asimov is fuckin great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd3uVFQX3AY

I still remember the adult swim bumps fondly :angel:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Pierson posted:

I've never seen Big O. I keep meaning to get around to it because I loved the 90s Batman as a kid, but somehow I keep forgetting to queue it up.

Big O is a really great show, even with the eva-level insane second season. The show is american as hell, it really has a distinctive New York noir/jazz atmosphere that you would be a fool to dislike. Roger smith is Bruce Wayne, there is no other way to describe him, all the characters are great, and don't even get me started on Big O itself :allears:. As you can probably tell I like Big O a lot, please watch it (in english)

AmiYumi posted:

Y'all are forgetting that episode 2 is "Bad Dog, No Biscuits".

[Edit: I have never gotten someone interested in Cowboy Bebop by showing them the first episode, BTW. Not once has it worked.]

Everyone you know is terrible because Asteroid Blues is a loving great episode with everyhting that makes bebop great; space mexico/western style, jeet kun do gun fights, blues/jazz soundtrack totally on point, Spike and Jet playing off each other, humor, the works man. Its a fuckin' great first episode because it showcases nearly everything your gonna get over the next 25 episodes.

And Stray dog Strut is a good episode, but its no "Gateway Shuffle" or "Cowboy Funk".

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Next time on Neon Genesis Evangelion: *still image of anno diving into swimming pool full of money*

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, how does that work? Rei doesn't have a mom. Unless the EVA is her mom :tinfoil:

No one knows what the deal is with rei and unit 0. I believe the predominant theories are "an extra clone" or Ritsuko's mom.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just saw Pacific Rim, enjoyed it immensely. Thought it was really fascinating to see some of the parallels with Eva - it sure as hell isn't the Western Evangelion some people thought it was going to be at the first trailers, but I'd be really surprised if Del Toro hasn't seen some Evangelion before.

He hasn't.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

http://observationdeck.io9.com/the-comparison-everyone-wants-to-make-evangelion-vs-p-805474792 posted:

I haven't seen Evangelion. I accept you Patlabor, [as an influence] from anime industry, or, Tetsujin-28, I don't have any problem saying 'I love them', 'they're an influence for me'. Regarding Evangelion, I have the DVDs, I haven't opened them, I haven't seen it. Yeah, there is anime influence [in Pacific Rim], but not from that anime in particular

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Funny you should mention that...

Travis Beacham posted:

I did love Evangelion very much, but I actually wrote most of Pacific Rim before I saw it.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

She could, but she wouldn't draw in those sweet sweet otaku dollars like Rei.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

1. Yui was the secret mastermind behind everthing, she was using Gendo all along so that she could become a giant robot and drift in space forever as a testament to mankind's existence or whatever

2. To gently caress with you

3. No one knows

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

House Louse posted:

All the Angels' names are Hebrew and mean something, sometimes obviously meaningful and sometimes not clearly. They're on Wikipedia and Evageeks, I think.

Pretty sure they're all real angel names except for tabris.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Wait you mean it's not the other way around? Some of the earlier episodes were completely generic and rightfully ignored by the rebuilds, like the nuclear robot one, or the synchronised dancing one, or the volcano one defeated by a random bit of science trivia chekoved out earlier. I mean they're not unentertaining, but they're unnecessary. You mean Anno actually got saner as Shinji and the series started to break down?

You eat poo poo, Dance like you wanna win is the best episode and Im still mad they cut it from the rebuilds.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Dance is the best episode but my favorite scene of "fun" eva is when Asuka is first introduced. Touli don't take no poo poo.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

jvempire posted:

Best "fun" Eva has to be the english dub Alternate reality.

Baloney Poney is one of the greatest phrases in the english language

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

I disagree completely, asuka was much more cohesive in the show. She feels tacked on and rushed in the rebuilds imo (I've also only seen up to two, hurry up Funi)

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

biomatter posted:

The only thing I don't like about the show so far are all the long, drawn-out still shots. I understand that it is trying to be more mellow and dramatic, but jesus christ do those scenes last forever sometimes. The art itself is pretty good - it doesn't exactly hold up to modern anime - but there are lots of little details that add to the realism of each scene.

Hahaha, boy are you in for a treat.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Rei sighed as she drew her katana...

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Do not watch the rebuild movies before the show

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

I said Come In! already gave his reverse order trip report, no need to use this guy.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Life is too short to waste watching recaps.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

If we're doing title changes I vote for SHINJI YOU FUCKER

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

youtube time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCtEjnfSGa4

this one actually works surprisingly well

e: oh yeah toonami is playing 2.22 tonight at 11, if you want to :tviv: it.

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 31, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Can I take a moment to just say how great skullomania is? Hes a big fuckin skeleton-esque monster that can Big O motherfuckers. He and the the Calico are the best angels and they are both torn apart by apeshit unit 01. Coincidence?????? I think not.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Its pretty crazy how the CG quality fluctuates in these movies. Like you get poo poo like ^that^ and this but then you also get the zombie crowds of New Neo Tokyo

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

On the first page, even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010