Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
has anyone link Zoomzip's excellent and classic ¡¡POR FAVOR NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i had to show this to ~somebody~

YOU ARE [NOT] ABOUT THAT LIFE

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Godzillion posted:

Everything on that site is amazing.
yeah i got this: http://mutantminds.bigcartel.com/product/who-cares

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fly Ricky posted:

It seems like the amount of hardcore Eva otakus that actually own a home with which to use a hose is probably an exceptionally small market. poo poo I can’t even buy a hose like that at the department store next to my condo.

But if you follow the evangelion_store_tokyo01 Instagram account you see that they’ll brand just about anything under the sun. Probably half the sales of that thing are to collectors living in a high-rise.
maybe back in 1997, but I bet there are a ton of japanese grill dads out there dying for a unit-01 hose reel. all those shinjis grew up to be gendos.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DC Murderverse posted:

Mamas, don't let your shinjis grow up to be gendos
Don't let 'em make robots or build the geofront
Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such

Mamas don't let your shinjis grow up to be gendos
'Cause they'll make teenage clones and they're always alone
Even with someone they have no feelings for but can use to ultimately bring their master plan to bring humanity together in instrumentality so they can be with their dead wife again to fruition
the greatest hits of rawhide kobayashi

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FilthyImp posted:

Shinji remakes the world into one where we are All Happy and rejected it as false and puts an end to the Curse of Evangelion with the last image if the film being a 10 minute long live-shot of the audience using in-threatre cams set to a new Utada Hikaru song.

After the Credits roll you hear:

Rei: What will we name him?

Shinji: I want him to have a bright future... Hideaki. Say hello to the world, son.

Cue Unit 1 howl.
the real ending won’t be as good as this

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

Get PMs scrub, trying to send you something
i’ve gotten PMs like ten times! are you sure you’re doing it right?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

T-man posted:

Don't bans strip plat or something?
n-n-n-nani?!?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Relin posted:

imagine if the plot actually conveyed this aside from like 1 line by kaworu
lol still voting relin after all these years

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

here's what Anno actually says about what Evangelion means:

there's also one other interview you can find in English (from before the series even aired, so at least partly about what he hoped to make rather than a retrospective analysis) where he talks about it being about human connections and people's capacity to misunderstand each other, and a very vague statement about his intentions for the Rebuild series from 2007, which describes it in kind of existentialist terms of facing up to the horror of reality while still remaining optimistic

pretty much all the infamously dismissive quotes are from assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki or character design Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, and often quoted dead seriously by English-speaking fans when in context some of them are either a) guessing what Anno meant at the interviewer's prompting rather than directly expressing their own opinion and/or b) actively cracking jokes and loving with the interviewer rather than giving a straight answer
it’s a show about cartoon robots and children who occasionally get naked to titillate an audience of children in 1996 who are all pushing 40 now.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
:2007:

e: goddamn my man such a nub that nobody ever made a smilie for his reg year!!

T-man posted:

but also the true ending is shinji getting a boyfriend and disowning his lovely dad
“that’s the secret... Just Be Gay!”

*cue Utada Hikaru*

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

Ian Fidance for Kaworu dub VA, telling Shinji about how dads are overrated.
shining a flashlight into unit 13’s entry plug

Spiritus Nox posted:

Isn't that just Hyuuga and Aoba? The Bridge Boys?
between this and almost certainly Young Asuka this thread has a major case of Anime Face Blindness. whoever-is-gainax-now did chicken out by not making everybody as older as they should be tho

also i rewatched EoE for the first time in probably a decade last night and I totally forgot about this big dicked savage stunting all over Anno's Big Moment:

also i hope the dude in the earlier shot rocking the yellow north face parka and the bowl cut still has that sick jacket now that it's back in style.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 28, 2020

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

T-man posted:

tag urselves im the rei/asuka dolls in the first row
i'm demin shirt guy, who is, coincidently, the only person in that movie who ever had sex

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

T-man posted:

baka, there's two in the front row
but which is the best one?
*laces up gloves*

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Josh Lyman posted:

#TeamMisato
yeah, let's stan the Tokyo-3's very own Ghislaine Maxwell

mods

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I'm not the guy who made the show where every preview includes the explicit promise that there will be plenty of fanservice in the next installment of the series. Am I going to get In Trouble for mentioning a weird and troubling aspect of the show/fandom?

I'll be in my room!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fly Ricky posted:

I understand it’s not a sensitive thing to say and comes off terrible (especially as a joke), but that is literally half the reason it is so prominent here in Japan. You’ve got the movies and you’ve got the awful figurines/posters/pillows/etc.

edit: and yes, I’m referring to the slur as part of this.
i regret to inform you that mods knew

Dr. Frakenstein offers guidelines about which villages are appropriate for his creatures to terrorize

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midjack posted:

It’s not a forbidden topic but when you raise it in a fashion indistinguishable from trolling right after someone else did the exact same thing it’s not going to be received very well.
we all hate anime creeps and like cartoons here, friend. please do feel trolled.

anyway, WILLE is an elite, deep-state cabal of adrenochrome addicts, and actually Gendo is working with a group of NERV patriots to prevent the Human Instrumentality Project.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fly Ricky posted:

So SEELE is the deep state, the 3rd/4th impact is the Great Reset, and NERV is arresting Hilary. Do I have this right?
Hillary has been nailed to a cross in Terminal Dogma for the last two years right next to Tom Hanks

somebody photoshop the Epstein temple into the Geofront Lake please

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i tried to tell you guys

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midjack posted:

Yeah that got posted before you got bounced last time. :thumbsup:
Anno told me that he'll keep pushing back the release of 3.0+1.0 until you start being nice to me

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Crustashio posted:

I realized that after checking ebay for various versions of the DVD releases. Yikes.
i keep forgetting to sell my ADV box set that i've had in storage since ~2007

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

JazzFlight posted:

I’d recommend skipping 25/26

Narzack posted:

Oh, boy, that song at the end of Rebuild 2 is pretty terrible.
i'll kill you

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Narzack posted:

We'll do the rest when I get back
misato is toyko-3's aatrek

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fly Ricky posted:

That entire post is Evangelion (and fandom) in a nutshell.
oh, you don't understand a plot point? well have you tried reading this 20-year-old, 5000 word forum post, that itself references and even OLDER forum post?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The REAL Goobusters posted:

but enough about somethingawful dot com

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

Link the thread coward.
man you think i got archives? it was just rear end SHOT OF THE YEAR 2003.

it was easily won by a gratuitous bit of fan service from GITS:SAC episode 2

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

Ahahahahah god drat that image was the key to unlocking a rush of vivid memories all at once.

Also, lol some of these old takes are so bad
that was basically the earliest thread I can remember, aside from Epic Proportions streaming his break-up songs in FYAD after getting dumped in Feb 2003.

~motoko-chan...

also please tell me that wasn't my bad eva take

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

Nah, that couldn't have been your take because it's from before you became a huge rear end in a top hat and were more of an adorable gun weeb who didn't even know what an M1934 was.
!!!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
~pues su padre no lo quiere~

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Paper Lion posted:

tenementfunster is an innocent victim of lovely late 00s/early 10s moderation in this community and i stand with him
i am product of the moderation carceral state. abolish probation.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SUNKOS posted:

We've already seen about ten minutes or so, you might have missed it? It was a clip set in Paris. We've also seen some glimpses of interesting things in teasers/trailers. I think the last one (or one before it?) showed Shinji fighting Gendo in Evas? There's also Mari and Asuka dual-piloting an Eva, iirc? I could be misremembering all of this aside from that ten minute Paris clip because I just watched once, thought "That's cool" and didn't watch again because I'd rather wait for the film to just come out now. Everything they've shown has been unexpected however which is reassuring, I think.
at this point, i wouldn’t be shocked if that paris scene isn’t in the actual movie

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Skulk Hogan posted:

Yeah i was watching it dubbed on Netflix.
lol jesus

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Raxivace posted:

https://twitter.com/macgyjp/status/1361558394860040193

Eva 3.0 + 1.0 is 2h34m.

Doesn't this make this one of the longest animated films ever made? Like its not as long as Disappearance of Haruhi or that Yamato movie, but its got to be pretty darn close.
lol those are the only two that have ever been longer, apparently

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/02/16-1/evangelion-3010-anime-film-reveals-that-it-is-the-longest-eva-film-yet

i really hope they aren’t just throwing in everything they’ve animated in the last decade in some dumb attempt to make mouthbreathers happy. i don’t feel great about Anno pacing 154 minutes.

and big lol at anyone who watches dubs, tho. stop.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sue posted:

I want this movie to be 20 minutes of the preview footage we've already seen, and then two hours of Mari just lazing around in an entry plug, singing Japanese songs from the 60's while the Fifth Impact is happening offscreen.
then forty pages of dubwatchers wondering why Mari’s VA sings or complaining about cultural references they don’t get, plus another forty pages of links to evageeks forum posts from the bush administration that “prove” that gendo was a Bad Dad because his actual soul was in Unit 13 the entire time

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DC Murderverse posted:

Honestly what I noted most between the two hearing them so close together is that you can hear that the ADV one had a budget of about ten dollars and a pack of gum. Like I imagine the booths and equipment and post-production stuff was all much nicer for the newer dub and that’s without accounting for the 20-something year gap because 2019 Netflix has a hell of a lot more money than 1995-6 ADV.

But I still thing my original analysis holds. The ADV dub sounds more naturalistic, like they were trying to actually say what sounded good (that fit within the spaces and animated mouths they had to fill), where the Netflix dub sounds like dialogue and terminology that has been written for them and that’s what they have to say. But also the Netflix actors are better actors and probably had room to do more takes and play with their intonation even if they couldn’t adjust what they had to say. I think I would prefer the Netflix dub for the series if and when I watch it again, and I definitely don’t think finding a clear rip of the Blu-rays with the old dub is worth the effort for someone new to the series who wants a dub. Just let them know about the Kaworu/Shinji weirdness if they somehow don’t get the subtext in that episode.

I think that this distinction is probably made even wider considering that these are clips from the pilot, and I think the ADV actors had way more room to grow into their roles. Spike especially, he sounds like an adult trying to sound like a teenager through most of the series and so in the very first thing they produced and put out, it’s pretty rough. Now he’s played Shinji for 25 years and so he’s much more comfortable sounding (and also just more skilled). Honestly, despite what I just said about the old dub of the series not being worth finding, I hope no one ever gets a desire to redub the rebuilds because I think they’re the best of both worlds. It’s the difference that a decade or two of further experience and more funds makes.
consider the following: subs not dubs

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pretty good posted:

God help me I think I'm gonna watch a loving cam for the first time since the mid 2000s, my life is a joke
agreedo

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midjack posted:

It was bad. Definitely there was a lot of performative gasping and WHAT THE loving at all the stuff in the first part of 3 since it was a very disorienting movie and nerds are especially prone to loudly sharing their reactions to media, but the audience basically lost their minds as soon as Kaworu showed up and never really got better. I don't precisely remember the differences between his lines in that version and his lines on the BR disc, but there was somewhat more innuendo in the initial version and the crowd basically hooted and laughed raucously anytime he was on the screen and never really did settle down for the rest of the movie. It didn't seem like anyone was giving it the MST3K treatment, but the nonstop cackling and noise was really irritating. Someone else wrote a huge post about their recollection of the same showing a couple of years ago here that is consistent with what I remember. I've been to some other screenings and premieres and yeah, con crowds are a boisterous lot but this one seemed like the room just got stuck in some weird feedback loop. I went to see the limited theatrical release a few weeks later and while it was an enthusiastic room and there were some chuckles at the more blatant lines, it was nowhere near as bad as Otakon. If for no reason other than it was a much smaller venue.
sounds sick. hootitng and hollering at Kaworu trying to gently caress Shinji is never inappropriate. what if the 17th angel was pepe le pew?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
if the con bans me for hollering at the yaoi, i will face anno and walk backwards into terminal dogma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

redsniper posted:

Also just lmao if you aren't immediately F5'ing for the first fan subbed camrip available.
got my radarr set to "ANY"