Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I just finished watching 3.33 for the first time and am going to catch up on this thread before possibly getting into any discussion, but I did want to echo this:

DerLeo posted:

their sound design just floored me. It's just such a beauty to listen to, everything sounds like it's coming from massive metal monsters when it needs to.

The mix is indeed loving great. I was drooling over it start to finish. The first two films, especially 2.22, sounded nice as well, but 3.33 is a clear improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
hahahahahahahaha jesus loving chirst

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Watched this a second time last night. Along with some reading of this thread, it was much easier to take in. I can safely say now that this is the my favorite segment of the Rebuild films so far. It has got my brain going similar to the way it had been while viewing the later episodes of the original series.

Still loved the sound design. Used ATH-M50 headphones this time, KRK Rokit5 monitors last time. Sounded great on both but the monitors worked better because of their sheer power during the massive action moments. The mix is very clear, but pretty crowded, clearly intended for complete surround. If the film gets a screening around here at a decent theater I'll go check it out just for that.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I saw 1.11 in theaters dubbed back when it was touring the US. I mostly dislike the Eva dub a great deal, but wasn't gonna pass up the chance to see and hear it in that a massive theater experience.

Regardless, any possible enjoyment was wrecked by the many creepy weeaboos in the crowd, giggling and crowing like idiots throughout. One numbskull even yelled "YEAH, CP!" when Shinji encounters Rei at her apartment when delivering her new ID card and all his idiot pals guffawed like horses.

I knew then that I wouldn't be seeing any of the other films in a theater, dub or sub.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Vermain posted:

The howling sound in the Japanese dub is great, for one specific reason: it's actually a slowed-down version of Megumi Hayashibara (Yui's voice actor) screaming. No one can say Anno doesn't pay attention to detail.

That is a great bit of trivia. Goddamn.

Also loving this goon trip report. I'm gonna echo the recommendation of others - watch 25, 26 and End of Eva all in a row.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It's too bad he'll miss out on the best way to view End of Eva, which is in Japanese, no subtitles, with no prior knowledge of the show, on drugs.

I once loaded up on hydrocodone, a few benadryl, then cracked some beers and watched EoE.

I'm willing to bet that's the closest I'll get to LCL feeling without doing heroin, which I do not plan on doing.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Kids React To: Evangelion

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Did screeners come out of Japan for the first three rebuilds? From what I've heard, theater bootlegging in Japan is pretty rare but I thought maybe for these high profile releases it would happen.

I didn't even search for bootlegs for the first three films. I just waited for fan subbed rips of the Japanese blu-rays. I haven't even watched a bootleg period in maybe ten years. But I don't know if I can wait for a Japanese BD release for the final rebuild film. I could stand waiting but I'm just worried about being spoiled and I don't want to walk on eggshells on the internet for half a year or worse after the theatrical release. I'd rather just see it ASAP.

Edit: also, I'm feeling frisky and am considering watching episodes 14 through 24 and then EOE right now. If I can maintain this level of mild intoxication throughout it would be incredible. I think I have enough beer.

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 28, 2014

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

mr. stefan posted:

As far as I'm aware every time someone's leaked a Rebuild its been a camrip, not a copied screener.

I'll take that, as long as the subs are halfway decent.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

TARDISman posted:

If it's real (which it isn't), they better get ready for Robin Williams to bust the doors down auditioning for Gendo.

Oh god. I always forget he is a massive Eva fan. OH GOD. If this becomes a reality, I will turn into LCL.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
The primordial soup goon-meet is gonna be pretty awkward.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Cronodoculous posted:

Bad news pal, he doesn't have it and apparently can't get it. I told him this at the very start, that he'd need the movie in addition to the series, but he didn't listen.

I've been working through the series since I pressured Avocados to watch it, and it definitely benefits from a rewatch. I just watched it for the first time about a year ago, but there's still a lot that happens that I'd apparently forgotten in that time.

Yo Avocados, why the hell did you not listen to your pal Cronodoculous here? End of Eva is a necessity.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Avocados posted:

Even though im not sure what happened at all with the last two episodes, it actually made a really deep impact on some things I've experienced. I think i'm going to enjoy my spring break and then go back to this when school is in session.

No. You watch End of Eva right now.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: I probably should have chosen something a bit more gentle for a first anime

This, or Neon Genesis Evangelion: leading cause of existential hangovers

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Magma Diver is the only episode I ever skip.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
The BDs drop today, right? I assume subbed versions should arrive pretty fast.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Yeah I'm grabbing that right now. I will turn it on to see how it looks and whatnot but I'm gonna behave myself and wait to watch it after another viewing of the entire series.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Welp, this 1080p encode I got looks almost 100% identical to the Renewal DVD rip from years ago. Hopefully this is some dummy's idea of a joke and it's not actually sourced from the new BD.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I downloaded a 1080p of the first episode and this is a lot different. Here's a gallery of side by side comparisons:

http://imgur.com/a/lu4V3

Obviously totally re-colored. Way more reds, and a bit over-saturated, but it is definitely more crisp and vibrant.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
So, turns out that BD rip of episode 01 I provided caps from earlier...the release group added those godawful filters. Why? I guess they're dumb. After they were called out on it they released a version with no filters that was still really soft. Someone else by the name of Sephirotic (lol) has started releasing way, way nice and sharp rips that are apparently near indistinguishable from the source.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Yatsuha posted:

Guess I might be making GBS threads up the Eva thread (sorry for the double post) but some dude did a redub of episode 1 with only his voice doing every character and every sound effect and all the music w/ kazoo and I got a chuckle out of it.
You sync it up Rifftrax style with the first episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol8ickK_YLk

Dude should start a Patreon and see if people pay for him to do the entire series.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Sagisu's music for the franchise is outstanding.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Copyright laws suck so much.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I watched EoE on a bunch of painkillers once and felt like I was part of the LCL.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Hell yes, it’s gonna rule when dumb parents are all, “oh here a cartoon for my kid to watch so I can nap,” and put this on.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
If Tiffany Grant doesn’t get to play Asuka again, she will likely commit murder openly.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
So it turns out that was autoerotic asphyxiation resulting in an accidental death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
When I saw Rebuild 1 in a theater, there were some really obnoxious people ruining the whole thing. Worst part was during the scene where Shinji takes schoolwork to Rei’s apartment and they get tangled up and whatnot, some dude yelled, “hell yeah, CP!” and his nasty friends guffawed.

What the gently caress is wrong with people