Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I can't believe that the (94% done) Changeman dub has been lost to time? Has literally noone saved it? Such a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But most people aren't going to want to watch something raw (or with subs but just to see what is said) and then go back and edit it again to fit their preferences for them to watch it for real.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I understand (and even, to a small extent, agree) on certain honorifics and am in full agreement with not changing whatever English words they use (GUIS in particular will translate something like "nice shot" into another phrase just, I assume, for the hell of it) but I can't fathom people wanting fancy attack fonts. Thats not in the original and just makes it hard to read. There's nothing good about a translation like that.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 1, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

tsob posted:

If it's anything like Over-time they'll translate English words or phrases because the Japanese use them to mean something somewhat different than their actual English meaning. English does the same thing, borrowing words and phrases from several different languages like French or German etc. I don't really know any examples of Japanese twisting of English off-hand, just going off what different Over-time member's have stated in various threads on /m/, but I'm sure someone here can throw some out if anyone cares.

I don't care about them translating "pinch" to "lucky" or whatever but the "nice shot" example I used is one that I'm pretty sure actually came up in Zyuranger or Jetman.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

tsob posted:

What difference does the show it was used in make out of interest?

Nothing but its distracting when a character makes a tricky shot with his pistol and someone else clearly says "nice shot!" to congratulate him, only to have that translated as "good shooting" or something like that. GUIS does it all the time and it always makes me go "wait what?" which is not what I want to be doing while watching a translated show. If you're going to say what difference does it make well then what difference do any of the various translation groups make? Even something like CAP's infamous Agito flub about the bible has no further impact on the plot.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But just keeping it as nice shot would have been perfectly fine for the character but GUIS never does that. OT does pretty often, as shown with a lot of KyoryuCyan's English dialogue being left as is.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It was brought up in the previous thread once or twice I believe. Either that or I read it on /m/.

Anyways, if you liked OOO and want more of that watch W (or hold off til later, but definitely get around to it eventually.) Other than that for Sentai Jetman and Shinkenger seem like series that you might like, based on the three you mentioned and, though I haven't watched them myself, Dekaranger and Magiranger sound like they'd be good for you too. I am basing that off of the three you mentioned all having pretty distinct characters.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mikeycp posted:

Isn't that how upgrades are for pretty much every other Rider show?
OOO and Fourze definitely did that too.

Yes but most don't set up the main rider's final form literally one episode after the secondary gets his.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Raizor posted:

Quite frankly I don't know how anyone could think of T-Rex as anything less than a modern marvel of suit design in Tokusatsu Entertainment.

The W T-Rex? Seemed kind of samey to me, what did you like about him?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know why everyone seriously brings Wasserman up as a good thing, outside of the MMPR theme song the show's music was either forgettable or downright bad. Especially future theme songs which were all stilted messes.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh sweet, the Akiba translation is up, now to wait for the SD.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Actually if it takes six hours for Azrael to go to bed and wake up, well thats about when I go to work to, so I powered through the HD and just dealt with it for the jaggedy fight scenes. Loved their interpretation of last season's climax and the last minute is an amazing hook to keep you watching for next week.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RBX posted:

"I dont watch and care about the sentai even though everything I hate about power Rangers is handled better, and YES I KNOW I MIGHT LIKE IT so stop asking me these confusing questions. Now back to the callous explosions....."

His past explanations of why have been so... non-explanitive that its done nothing to stop people asking why, so that is probably why he took so much time. Not having watched the latest set of episodes (I've come to the realization that I just DO NOT CARE about what the villains do in a particular Power Rangers season and since Linkara doesn't know crap about how the actual productions were handled there's no reason for me to watch,) I assume his ten minute explanation did not include things like "I just can't stand sub-titles" or "I already saw most of the plot basics from that year's PR season." Lacking good reasons its surely frustrating to hear someone would rather rewatch the same shows over and over.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

toomanyninjas posted:

Is LowVisibility any good? I listened to one episode (about Gokaiger) and couldn't stand it, but I might have just caught them in a bad moment. I'd really like to listen to a decent sentai podcast, though.

Well, I am not really a fan of Matt Comix or however he spells his name but Lynxara does know a lot more than most other English speaking toku fans and ever other podcast is far worse. I think they're okay but when they make a certain mistake it really grates on your nerves. I wonder why you didn't like their Gokaiger review, was it not praise-worthy enough?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Justin_Brett posted:

There's also these guys, who do the research, but come off more as guys just watching the show.

And yeah, they're responsible for that Power Rider prank.

Ugh, that one hyper guy just ruins it for me. Which is a shame since otherwise they seem to be okay and reasonably knowledgeable.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
edit: Double post

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
And Jetman if you want to go by on BS technicalities.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Larryb posted:

Does anyone get the feeling that Kyoryuger might be one of the shorter seasons? We're 8 episodes in and it seems like the plot has been moving along rather quickly lately.

If it ends up being more of a 48 than a 52 it will be because of ratings, not because of any longterm plan.

Also is there any way that we could spoil plot reveals from toy solicits in this thread? I suspect I am not the only one who hates having people jump in with pictures of stuff that hasn't been revealed yet.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dr Tran posted:

Kyoryu Green is so useless and boring.

Whats that, someone who's only had an intro episode and one focus episode isn't interesting yet? I find it interesting that someone has a problem with the villains too, since they have a lot more personality than a lot of the past's villains. I dunno, maybe because I've just picked a run of shows with blander villains to watch.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 17, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I honestly couldn't stand them back then because a lot of the time it made the text hard to read.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I sure hope Gold's flaps become less noticeable in future fights. He was supposed to look like a badass destroying those mooks, I guess, but I couldn't help but look more at the flaps bouncing around behind him.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Some of the most forgettable monsters in modern Rider history? Plot and character set-ups that basically doesn't get repeated from then on making it unrepresentative of anything but itself and Kuuga? Slow-rear end editing?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Ryo's purpose in the world is for the universe to poo poo on him.

And for him to poo poo right back at it! It works out pretty well for the strip.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

Anyway it looked really dumb.
It could be show accurate and still look dumb. Goseiger's bot designs stunk.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So was hippo anyone from Gobusters itself or just some random guy they had in the movie? I can't remember him from anywhere.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 5, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Actually Jetman's ending epilogue is by far the best part of Jetman
It really isn't, alone it is nonsensical and ridiculous, being only held up by the characterization shown through the rest of the show. Off the top of my head I can pretty quickly think of five better moments in the show.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Not the whole epilogue, just Gai's part.

Yeah, I know.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zero_Tactility posted:

Given that I enjoy dudes/ladies in costumes punching each other, robots, bombast, and Kamen Rider Black, where should I go from here?

For Rider? Definitely W. Some people say Kuuga or Agito but I couldn't stand them myself. For Sentai, Jetman (especially the earlier episodes) or Shinkenger. Contrary to what someone else in here mentioned I'd avoid Kyoryuger. Its a good show but has no real emotional depth so far which is what you seemed to like about Black. You might like Gobusters but its pretty polarizing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Blackest Goon posted:

What is the general consensus here so far of Wizard?

I've asked this before and you assholes never answered it! :-(

Its really boring. Not outright bad, just boring. The show pulls its punches like hell (don't expect to see much in the way of people dieing,) has a very generic lead after three years in a row of unique mains and a "mysterious (generic) head villain who barely even shows up. It hasn't happened yet but they are obviously pushing towards a twist final few episodes that has been pretty well telegraphed for awhile now.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Brother Entropy posted:

This is kind of a weird criticism given the rest of the Neo-Heisei era.

OOOs had onscreen death as well as showing scenes of areas immediately after monster attacks where everyone who was there ceased to exist. W had death in flash backs. Fourze... was lighthearted and aside from the whole Kengo thing didn't have any. But Wizard is unique in that the whole point of each episode is the villains trying to kill a specific person and it literally never happens. Twice the villains have even succeeded but a special incredibly rare event lets the person live anyway. The villains get NOTHING each and every 2 episode arc, without exception. Are we really supposed to fear these guys? To even think they have a chance? I mean obviously no villain groups do, but when you watch the end of, say, Goseiger, you want to see how they are going to get out of the mess they are in.

Agito's ending was so odd because it felt to me that the series wrapped up around episode 42 where Souichi regained his memories and we got a replay of the Akatsuki Incident. Then we get eight episodes of a sort of slice of life show with monster attacks. I sort of liked that they had the guts to do that but was really let down by the fact that his social habits don't really change at all after the incident. Hell, he stops using his real name in less than an episode.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 17, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TheGreenAvenger posted:

For the record, I love Wizard, though I'm aware it's not really everyone's cup of tea.

However, I must point out that the Phantoms' goal is to make more Phantoms, not kill Gates. So they're not actually trying to kill a specific person.

And the way they try every episode is by killing a specific gate. I should say though that Wizard's plots are a bit more complex in nature than, for example, Fourze's or OOO's so this is one series where the two episode arcs don't wear out their welcome quite so fast. Stuff like this/next week's episodes wouldn't really have been possible with just twenty five minutes to tell the story.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Eiji isn't bad, the underwear thing only comes up occasionally and it never derails the plot. If anything I remember more people criticizing him for just being there while Ankh and the Greed drag the plot along.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

At least they can use Gokai Silver's Gold Mode in Super Megaforece, since the 6th Rangers on the armor start with Zyu's Green.
You say that like its a good thing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just finished Dairanger. Gotta say, it took awhile to rev up but the last 15 to 20 episodes is one of the best strings of episodes the franchise has ever had.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That would be horrible, at this point I just want the Gokaigers to retire like everyone else and let us have normal versus movies again.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly with less spare time than last year and two years of disappointment in rider I'm out after Wizard ends. Still going to watch sentai, which has been of a much higher quality recently, though. Will probably catch up on Garo too.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Of the seven Sentai I've seen to completion, I'd rank them

1. Shinkenger (Despite TV-Nihon)
2. Go-Busters (The gently caress was I thinking a year ago when I didn't like it)
3. Jetman (Mostly because of the perfect ending episode)
4. Gokaiger (Shallow characters saved by having the action sequences be consistently impressive)
5. Gaoranger (Though I think most of the fondness I have for it is nostalgia for watching Wild Force as a kid)
6. Go-Onger (Peaks at the halfway mark, but what a loving peak)
7. Gekiranger (Terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible)

Hmm how would I rank what I'd seen?

Gokaiger (fun characters, lack of a clusterfuck mech for most of the show, enjoyed the guest appearances even if I didn't know who they were half the time, plot managed to keep moving at a good pace, now if only they'd faced a less terrible enemy)
Go-onger (first sentai I saw so the various "twists" were new and exciting, loved the creativity put into the world's mechanics and the like; would probably not rate it as high if I'd seen it after a few other shows though)
Zyuranger (highly enjoyed seeing the old MMPR suits and bad guys in action again, great mech fights, Dragonranger arc, etc; shame they stuck so many kids in though)
Shinkenger (loved the show's theming and designs (aside from the awful add-on mechs and the final clusterfuck) and thought a lot of the characters were well done)
Jetman (sort of dragged on for a bit in the 20s/early 30s without a sixth ranger, my two favorite rangers were shunted off and didn't get much plot time, those were my only real complaints)
Dairanger (the two middle quarters were really, really weak with underdeveloped villains and some rangers not getting much screen time, though the last quarter was great)
Gobusters (by the end even Enter had overstayed his welcome and I was glad to send the show off)
Goseiger (blame TV-N or whatever but some of the villainous groups were generic, especially the first third's bugs; a lot of the characters didn't live up to potential; the mechs were all hideous abortions, a bunch of annoying production errors, etc)

I'm also about halfway through Carranger and (obviously, Kyoryuger) and have seen what was translated of Fiveman as well. Car would be at the top, Kyoryu below Jetman and Fiveman below Jetman but above Kyoryu. Though apparently Fiveman gets a lot worse as time goes on so it will probably end up in last place.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Xelkelvos posted:

the upgrade pace is suffering.

You actually want that crap? Most updates look horrible and ruin the stories they debut in.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly by this point I think that Wizard has surpassed merely being boring and moved on to being downright bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its not just that, despite turning into a wizard supposedly being shown as super rare, 1 in a million, etc we've seen multiple people do it now while not seeing a single phantom get created. Unless thats ~all part of the plan~ and being driven to despair actually has nothing to do with phantoms being created its really poor writing. And then there's Gremlin repeatedly going out and all but announcing to Wiseman that he's going to betray him and Wiseman actually responds positively to this. Why? Its stupid. 000 had a similar problem with its ending because they didn't want to make certain popular characters evil so their actions went unadequately explained. But unlike Anhk and cakeboss I don't think anyone likes Feuki, Gremlin and so forth so why is the plot so off the rails?

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 13, 2013

• Locked thread