Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Tokusatsu shows feature costumed superheroes pitted against evil creatures and/or organizations, through the aid of gadgets, explosions, and face kicking. Spawned back in the 1950s with kaiju films such as Godzilla, and Super Giant, Japan's first costumed superhero commited to film, the tokusatsu genre has spawned many popular series, such as:

Kamen Rider

Created in 1971 by Shotaro Ishinomori, Kamen Rider shows often feature a single transforming hero who's powers and arsenal is usually directly related to the antagonists of the series, whether biological or technological. Sometimes, additional riders aside from the titular one are introduced, whether to aid them or antagonize them (or both).

Super Sentai

Also started by Ishinomori, the first Super Sentai series was Goranger in 1975. The shows feature 5 (or more) heroes pitted against groups of evil monsters, often alien in origin. More often than not, their opponents go giant-size and require a double beatdown with the assistance of giant support robots.

Ultraman, the alien crusader who fights to protect Earth

Metal Heroes, armor laden cyborgs, transforming humans, or what-have-you, fighting alien and underworld threats alike

What's it all boil down to?
TOYZ, BOYZ

Like any kids franchise, toku shows are made to push plastic crack down the gullet of young boys and financially irresponsible adults. Besides the featured gimmick-laden robot and roleplay toys, there are also several series of highly-articulated action figures, such as S.H. Figuarts, S.I.C. (Super Imaginative Chogokin), and the SFX Revoltech series for kaiju and foreign properties.

------------------------------------------------

CURRENTLY RUNNING/UPCOMING

Kamen Rider Gaim
c/o: Æsir | onore TV-Nihon
Poppin' and lockin' and peelin'
Latest Episode: 2 [THREAD]

Zyuden Sentai Kyoryger
Dinosaurs, again? WHAT A SHOOOOOCK~~~~~!!!!!!!
c/o: Over-Time | onore TV-Nihon
Current Episode: 33

Ultraman Ginga
\o/ It's Ultra Time! \o/
c/o: Over-Time | ONORE TV-Nihon
Current Episode: 6

SHOW BACKLOG
Due to the Great Legend Megaupload Tragedy of 2012, from this point on be prepared to find a lot of dead links I can't do anything about.
If a show ever turns up missing, check for downloads at KRDL.info.

Completed series
Movies/Specials
In-progress Series

Completed Series Movies/Specials
In-progress Series
Super Unofficial Sentai

Completed Series
Movies/Specials
In-progress Series

Completed Series
Movies/Specials

Completed Series
In-progress Series

:japan: 'Da Raw Repository :japan:
Toei's Youtube channel :tviv:
Watch old shows, unsubbed. New (old) episodes weekly. Toei's put a country restriction up, so good luck with that.
Toku Raw Revolution: Get raw videos of tokusatsu shows here. Handy if you've got subs but nothing to play 'em with. (Free registration required)

Concerning TV-Nihon

n t y :sweep: (See also: http://onoretvn.tumblr.com)

ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Chibs fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Awh. I'm one of the runners of Onore TVN, thanks for linking us. :)

No problem, I just saw it after I made the OP, and I love it. Keep doing what you're doing. :h:

And yeah, I know none of my links are updated, I'm running though them now, sorry. :(

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks, I got it, okay, don't act so vested in it

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

Welp.

Akibaranger is now canon.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

A new Ultraman TV series is starting up, and it's not a compilation or a grimdark!

http://herotaku.com/2013/04/12/99596/ultraman-ginga-unveiled/

quote:

Ultraman Ginga will take the form of 30 minute episodes and be shown within the New Ultraman Retsuden (the Ultra biography series), starting from the 10th of July. There will be 13 Episodes in total; 6 will be broadcast between July and August; a further 5 will be broadcast during November and December; and there are 2 special episodes to be screened at events. Unlike the previous series shown within Retsuden, Ultraman Zero Fight, these episodes will be 30 minutes and not shorts.

In Ultraman Ginga, an evil force has turned all of the Ultra Warriors and Kaiju into small doll-like things, they eventually arrive on Earth during a Meteor shower. 17 year old High School student Hikaru Raido (played by Takuya Negishi) finds the Ginga Spark, an item which allows him to change the transformed Ultra Warriors back into their original forms, allows him to become Ultraman Ginga, and allows him to ‘Ultra-Live’ to fuse with the dolls he finds.

He will be aided/joined in his Ultraman High School adventures by his fellow classmates:
  • Misuzu Isurugi (played by Mio Miyatake): a childhood friend of Hikaru.
  • Kenta Watarai (Misugi Oono): Also a childhood friend and funnyman of the group.
  • Sakuchi Kuno (Kirara): Another childhood friend and another heroine, apparently.
  • Tomoya Ichijoji (Takuya Kusakawa): Hikaru’s cool rival.
Ultraman Ginga promises a fresh story with a fresh cast, meshing a modern Japan High School setting with the traditional Kaiju fighting Ultraman flavour. Filming has just begun this week.

The show will be directed by: Abe Yuichi, Tomoo Haruguchi, Kengo Kaji, and Yoshikazu Ishii.

The episode count is fine, but... I really don't get the scheduling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDdW85NQ9wQ

Aaaand toys

Chibs fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 12, 2013

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, I regret not watching The Hero Yoshihiko sooner. Are you watching it? No? Then go do it, idiot, it's super-funny.

*checks OP*

Whoops. :ohdear:

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

Markovnikov posted:

Something else I've noticed is that you can really tell that there are probably men inside the Yellow/Pink Ranger suits. Was this a thing with older Sentai? Or is it just part of the parody?

Behold, Miss America's Glorious Girth. :getin:

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

That still wasn't as bad as Meteor Storm.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

i'm sorry i haven't updated the op in just about forever.

someone bug me and i swear i'll do it today. just not now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

toomanyninjas posted:

Clearly now our only response is to start a Kyoryuger thread, reducing this one to once-fortnightly posts about Showa Riders and/or Denjiman.

Seriously, jonjonaug, there's no need to further clutter things with an un-needed thread that will ultimately get less traffic than this one, which is steady but never on fire with posts or anything. You wrote a good OP, though; ask someone to copy it into this thread's OP.

No. Just post in the Gaim thread. Or don't. Just stop whining about the thread existing.

I linked it in the OP just the same as I did with Garo. Any other show someone wants to make a thread about, I'll link to it just the same. It's not like there's any shortage of things to talk about in this thread, like there was one group subbing all these shows still.

Chibs fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 8, 2013

• Locked thread