Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

New thread hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Also request: Any sub projects that haven't updated in over a year be moved off the list into a Dead Subs(?) section, cause the list is crowded with series that only got one or two episodes done before the group lost interest.

Also also, unless they are the only ones that have completed a series, can we stop linking TV-N now?

Also also also, I'm going to update your Sentai list for you now:

Completed

Movies/Specials

In Progress, Currently updating

In Progress, probably dead

• Seijuu Sentai Gingaman: Hi no Tori - Ep 35, though the last five are lost to time. Has no plans to continue
  • Bakuryū Sentai Abaranger: Midnight Crew - Ep 7 Dropped because of ~drama~

The rest have URLs that are either dead, or the releases link to megaupload and haven't been updated to torrents or KRDL.

HKR fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 31, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

gently caress it, also gonna start digging into the Rider lists.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Sleeping Sigma posted:

I'd just like to point out that the list is incorrect with regards to GoGoV and Goggle-V (GoGoV is listed as Goggle V and episode release numbers are wrong).

Kyuukyuu Sentai GoGoV is up to episode 16 at Hikari Senshi and seems to be active (3/7/13).

Whereas Dai Sentai Goggle-V at Hikari Senshi was only released up to episode 3 around May 7th of last year and is most likely dead.

Fixed on my end.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Whoops, I probably should have said Goggle-V was inactive as the download links to the three episodes are packupload links and are still downloadable. For what it's worth.

Nah, it's still in progress, HS just doesn't use nyaa or KRDL for some reason. My dyslexia kept reading Goggle V and GoGoV as the same thing.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Well you know what to copy/paste when you have time.

In other news, here's the updated Kamen Rider list:

Completed

Movies/Specials

In Progress, Currently Updating

In Progress, probably dead

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

I must be the only person in the universe that prefers TV Nihon's subs, at least for Gokaiger. I actually like the colored subs, and I prefer to see the honorifics in the subtitles. "Mr. Marvelous" doesn't flow as well for me as "Marvelous-san"

While the colored subs and use of Honorifics can be personal preference, their horrible translations sadly can't.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Endorph posted:

Everyone who disagrees are baka-chan-taichi.

*means "Fools"*

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Miss Kalle posted:

Hey shut up about subs for a minute, apparently Hurricanger is getting a 10th anniversary movie!

Maybe it's time I dig those HK subbed DVDs out of storage and try and watch them again (No I won't the translations were worse then TVN).

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I've just been waiting so long for a good reason to post that because goddamn, even when you get past all the untranslated garbage, the lovely fonts, the dumb graphics, and even when they mishear poo poo leading to complete mistranslation, you still have objectively lovely phrasing.

How can you listen to the way that line is delivered and seriously think that translating it to be the most awkward, formal thing is even close to appropriate? It's as if they don't even listen to how things get said, or who says them. It's like they have one guy write down what he hears in phonetic english with no punctuation marks, and then they have another guy translate it literally, and then they have a third guy order the words according to English grammar except when he doesn't feel like it.

I think the lessons we can learn from this is that there is a small group of people who would enjoy someone taking OT's more accurate translations and adding back in the honorifics while maybe doing some visual jazz to the attack names. If anyone wants to be /m/ famous or learn Aegisub, you'd probably have a small fanbase willing to gobble it up.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I a understand (and even, to a small extent, agree) on certain honorifics and am in full agreement with not changing whatever English words they use (GUIS in particular will translate something like "nice shot" into another phrase just, I assume, for the hell of it) but I can't fathom people wanting fancy attack fonts. Thats not in the original and just makes it hard to read. There's nothing good about a translation like that.

Eh, they can be quite entertaining to watch but it's mostly a personal preference.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

Isn't that pretty much exactly what the Aesir subs for OOO did?

I didn't watch OOO as it aired and I've never seen Aesir's subs so I don't know. Did it work?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

War Hurricanger extremely popular in japan? It's weird that out of all the sentai this is the one to get an anniversary movie.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Burkion posted:

If you want an amazing 80s action series, Bioman is a good bet.

Kung fu related? Maskman.

Big fun adventure that's the second longest in the franchise? Changeman.

Serious but fun but pretty grim? Liveman. Dear God Liveman.

....so most/all of the Super Sentai I like was made in the 80s, what of it?

Though note that changeman isn't subbed (The Dead Fish subs seem to be gone from the internet).

Maskman and Bioman are currently being subbed by GUIS, which gives them a high chance of actually finishing, though Bioman is coming out at a slower pace then Maskman (And so far Maskman is far better)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Burkion posted:

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/47597927/Changeman?tab=summary Here is one torrent that has the DFF episodes, and TV Nihon has the first 8.

Old torrent with no seeds (Also it's in Portuguese)

Regarding Kyoryuger The love battery was kinda lame last week but holy poo poo the fart battery makes up for it 1000x

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Endorph posted:

I watched the first few episodes of Os, and wow, this is a lot better than I was expecting. I mean, I was just looking for goofy action, but the back and forth between Ankh and Eiji is actually a pretty interesting take on the HERO DEFEATS BAD GUY tropes.

Also, the birthday cake guy is the best.

It only gets better. OOOs is just a hair shy of being as good as W but that still means it's excellent.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Those of you who dropped Wizard before Beast came on really need to pick it back up. The show has been going full pace now for the last several weeks and is getting really good.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

^ The Legend War begs to differ. Now that is how you open a show.

I think he was joking. W's MOTW designs were definitely weak, as were Gokaiger's and Gekiranger's (with two or three exceptions).
Though honestly, I don't expect them to put that much effort into costumes they can't make action figures out of.
I think it would be cool to see a Sentai series, maybe the 50th anniversary, where the MOTW were evil versions of the previous Reds. That could be fun.
Also, next week's Kyoryuger looks legit badass. I'm glad Torin is distinguishing himself from the majority of Sentai mentors by being not only a competent fighter, but possibly even stronger than the Rangers.
But I really do hope that this intrigue doesn't end next episode. We could use a good "evil ranger" saga.

Abarekiller is amazing and the fact that most english speaking toku fans haven't seen Abaranger makes me extremely sad.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

RBX posted:

I decided to finish Shinkenger before starting Fourze but I got to the Decade crossover and stopped to watch that. I'm very interested but I only hear bad things about it. I really have no idea what's going on other than a vague "They cross dimensions and do stuff, worlds get destroyed?" Why is it hated? Are the fight scenes any better?

Decade just makes a big mess of things for no reason. You can skip the Decade crossover in Shinkenger without any worry.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Did they ever improve the audio quality? I tried listening to the first couple episodes when they came out and they were unlistenable.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Especially in terms of like, production problems. LIke I can only imagine the stories that come out of adapting Carranger into Power Rangers Turbo.

Or the producers throwing up their hands when it came time to adopting Kakuranger.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

I enjoyed what of Dekaranger I've seen; has anyone besides TV-Nihon subbed the whole thing?

Nope. OT is working on it but it's on the back burner with four weeklies going on.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Monathin posted:

Yeah, from what I remember, most of the various notable solo subbers ended up working with most of the bigger groups. Megaanon I think is working with Grown Ups In Spandex right now? I dunno where Ryuganon went to offhand, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's doing work with you guys at O-T.

I think MegaAnon is doing QC work for GUIS but is primarily working with MillionFoldCuriosity doing Goseiger and eventually Megaranger.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

quote:

Kyoryuger movie will be a musical. Making this history’s first full Super Sentai musical.

The first sentai movie I've been excited for since ever.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

toomanyninjas posted:

That makes the team dynamic kind of creepy. You've got this 32-year-old family man hanging around with a 16-year-old Green and and 18-year-old Pink—he's twice the age of one of his teammates!

It's a working relationship. Haven't you ever worked with someone much older/younger then you?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

There are better incidental fight scenes in Kyoryuger then some Sentai movies.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

This is one of the greatest videos on the internet.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

GUIS looks to be primed and ready to release the rest of Maskman one episode per day now. The series is great and if you haven't started watching now is a great time.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

So yeah Wizard. Sora was a murderer before he became a phantom eh? I was getting goosebumps during the reveal with Cannon playing, was kinda hoping they would continue with it during the fight.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

A really blocky, horribly compressed video?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Markovnikov posted:

Seems like the guys from Onoretvn areactually going to translate Den-O. Either that or it's a really elaborate and long April Fool's joke. I'm happy for this, as we need more groups translating/scrubbing KR series in general (it seems most groups are doing that with older Sentai), and because I've been wanting to watch Den-O as my first pre-Decade Rider (am I right in that? is it any good?) and so far I've been able to stay TVN-free.

Also, I seem to remember one of the guys from the blog posted here?

They livestreamed the first two episodes. It exists. I think this might be a project where they are waiting to finish the whole series before releasing it though?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Maskman 48 Baraba :(

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Maskman enters the list of sentai with complete subs. It was a great show all the way through, though I don't like the second robot at all.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

I didn't even think of that. His jokes, as written, must make absolutely zero sense if translated literally...

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Every episode of W advances the plot in some way. OOO's was somewhat half-way there, with each episode usually at least trading medals around so you could see new combos! But then Fourze and Wizard are just filler out the ears and there's nothing you can do to stop it, or make it easier.

Someone should make a Lazy Viewer Guide to toku one day where it tells you what episodes to watch if you're just interested in the main plot.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Son Ryo posted:

Gotta agree. Is this something that's actually available somewhere or was that just a fandub proof-of-concept sort of thing?

It looks like it was for Singapore's Toonami. It looks like random episodes are around on youtube.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

That I did not know. Rather depressing.

The sad truth is TVN's translators are rather poor and despite doing this for years they have never improved. Instead of filling their QCers with people who can and will call them out for being bad, they only fill the spots with yes men and fanboys.

Onore did a QA today about issues with TVN's translations that really sink home how bad they are and how they'll never improve.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Oh man this is actually happening

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Larryb posted:

Well, if you want to count HK Subs then technically yes, all of Hurricanger has been subbed. There's a playlist of the whole series here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUbtFtgQuh-xD7vXwldNF8xxllkX9TIBf

If those are the same HK subs I watched back in the day, it's almost better to watch the raws. They were really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Sonata Mused posted:

Just started watching Kyoryuger. It's... an interesting show. Not really sure how I feel about it yet.

The noises the guns make are kind of annoying. Nobu seems pretty cool, and I actually wish he was a dad, rather than an uncle.

Watch Abaranger if you want a father character.

• Locked thread