Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Nice to see that this thread exists as my wife and I might be adopting a 2-3 year old Greyhound next month. Apparently the owners didn't want it because it wasn't interested in and good enough at hunting. Light tan and beautiful. Saw a video of it and it seems super gentle and relaxed. Going to start of with just housing it for a while and test things out (including potential allergy problems) like the shelter wants, but if everything goes to plan I can't wait. Very happy to having taken the time to read about Greyhounds as they really are the perfect match for us in terms of temperament, health and activity levels. Absolutely beautiful dogs as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Major Isoor posted:

Congrats! Yeah, they're amazing dogs - and I'm not just saying that because I'm biased towards greys! :D Good luck, I hope it all goes well. I'm sure the doggo and you will get along great! (Just uh, don't count on having exclusive couch access anymore :v: )

david_a posted:

MrOnBicycle, I would say the thing the books didn’t quite prepare me for was just how stubborn they can be. Katie will sometimes simply refuse to move on walks which can be super annoying.

I taught Katie to get on my couch which she now does with gusto:

I don’t have a picture where she’s really sprawled out, but we have to compete for it now. She moves off if I burrow my feet underneath her so I don’t mind that much.

Thanks! I love what I've read about the personality of these dogs, and jesus Katie is beautiful. The one we hopefully are getting is a bit lighter in the fur. Beautiful dogs. :)

Edit: Preliminary date is set to January 7th.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 15, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

actionjackson posted:

did they not tell the group they wanted a hunting dog? lol unless you are on a giant farm trying to get rid of coyotes, a greyhound is a terrible hunting dog

Yeah no idea. The dog is being rescued from Romania and apparently Greyhounds are used for hunting there according to the shelter people that rescue them. IMO great news for adopting a dog though since it's not something I'm looking for in a non working dog.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Seems like if everything goes to plan we'll have the dog in about 2 weeks. From your experience, what size bed should we get for her? I'm looking at beds on Amazon that look like they should be good for it to spread out on (~36x27 inches), and have some raised areas for the head to rest on. Also thinking that raised food / water bowls is better for a taller dog like a greyhound?

Ton of stuff to buy, collars, leashes, toys, coat etc. Exciting! What kind of leashes / collars do you all prefer?

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 25, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Thanks for the input! The dog comes from a rescue, and we will be picking her up as soon as she arrives with papers etc. I had no idea those collars were named Martingale. I was looking at those types of collars already, but more out of a "not a choker" kind of way. I decided to buy one sight unseen just in case the collar the dog comes with isn't one as I don't want to risk her slipping out of it and for some reason (maybe because these types of dogs are pretty rare in Sweden) Martingale collars aren't that readily available here.
I also got one of the beds that looked nice and didn't cost much just in case she hates it. I think I'll get some cheap basics and see what works and doesn't work before buying the expensive long term stuff.

So hopefully if all goes well this beauty will be here soon. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DarkHorse posted:

Oh my god what a gorgeous princess :swoon:

Yeah you need a martingale collar or a harness because their heads are the same size as their necks or smaller, and they'll slip out of normal collars.

As for beds, anything soft and fluffy or padded is likely to be claimed if you're not careful . They've got lots of bones close to the surface of their thin skin and so need lots of extra padding to be comfortable

Also they're hella dramatic

https://youtu.be/Peu_yVrb8HQ

david_a posted:

I’m originally from Sweden and yeah I’ve heard of one couple owning greyhounds there but I never saw one. For everyone else’s benefit, greyhounds are rare enough in Sweden that the breed name isn’t even translated from English which makes it a bit awkward to say (a literal translation would be gråhund). Is the dog originally from the UK?

If you haven’t read any greyhound specific books I would get one ASAP. They have some quirks compared to other breeds especially when it comes to medical stuff; you may have to educate your vet. Is your dog an ex-racer? That also comes with some behavioral stuff you should know about…

Yeah she's lovely. They sent us a video as well of one of the rescue people (I guess) petting her and she seems very timid and calm, but with a hint of silliness thrown in. Teedo is lovely and we absolutely love the Greyhound silliness.

It's mainly been my wife handling the communication as it's a co-worker of hers that does the dog rescue thing part time. They rescue dogs from all over Sweden, but also from Romania and other places in Europe. This dog is from Romania and is not an ex race dog but if I understand it correctly the family that owned the dog wanted it for hunting but found that it didn't have the prey drive they wanted and was too timid. The rescue does all the health checkups and the dog will be insured through them until we decide on final adoption. At the start we will be "hosts" and just take care of the dog and see how it works out. But I have a feeling it'll be super hard to resist her when she gets here, but it's also nice to have options. All the rescue wants is that the dogs go to good homes. :)

VVVV: Yeah it's nice and I also like not getting a puppy. I mean not only is it much, much, much cheaper but also nice to help a dog. I keep looking at the photos of her all day, so I'm preparing for a foster-fail! Perfect time for this as well as I've taken a few months off work as I'm finally with 8 years of getting my medical license. Need the break, and this lovely dog is perfect. :3:

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 26, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So got her yesterday after sitting and waiting for 6 hours for the transport to clear customs etc. Finally got her home at around 2 am. She was super calm all the time and after carefully inspecting our living room she instantly made herself at home in the dog bed / blankets we had put there for her. She then slept quietly all night except for when I made a sound (I slept in the living room so my wife could get some sleep without disturbances as she had to get up at 6 am) and I then saw the dark silhouette of the dog looking at me. Been out for 2 walks this morning as she didn't want / have time to pee (too busy sniffing and looking at stuff). At least she had a poo the second time.
She doesn't like going through some doors and didn't want to go up the stairs the first time. After some persuasion with treats she now did 90% of the stairs and got through one door.
Baby steps. She is super cautious and has just been through a 30 hour trip to get here so I don't blame her. At least she is wagging her tail. :3
She's now laying beside me so feeling that the separation training has to begin ASAP.
She's also very underweight.

Pictures will come. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DarkHorse posted:

Awww she sounds like a sweetheart! :kimchi:

She's going to be confused and anxious these first few days. In my opinion it's best to give her support and comfort so she experiences nothing but good things as a first impression. That doesn't mean you can't correct her of course, just that I would err on the side of love, kindness, and forgiveness.

I use the rule of threes: three days to get over the shock, three weeks to truly settle in and learn the rules/routine of the house, three months for her to feel comfortable enough for her actual personality to come out.

I only have N=2 data points, but both of mine were super confident and didn't need separation training despite being very "clingy" at the start. Based on her reactions on the very first day (stairs! dealing with scary door! Sleeping through the night and going potty!) I think you'll be fine in that regard, because it sounds a lot like how mine behaved. I doubt you'll need to do much in the way of separation training

Currently cuddled up in bed with my pup, who has managed to get his entire length pressed against my side over the course of several wiggles. He's very warm, great on these cold nights, and likes to burrow his head under the covers :3:

Yeah today she's showing my more signs of being shocked. Didn't want to go through doorways this 3rd time we've been out, and a bit worringly hasn't peed yet (but also showing no signs of discomfort) but has pooped. Everything outside is interesting and new and she is tracking scents etc. No signs of trying to pee but nothing coming. I think she's dehydrated from the long trip, and since she's started containing herself to a room today she won't go to the water bowl to drink. I put it in the room she wants to be in now and she lapped up a ton. Hydrating her food now so she gets maximum fluids and hopefully wants to pee later.
A bit worried about the peeing, but as she seems alert and more interested in other things when outside I'll give it some time and give her a chance to re-hydrate herself.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DarkHorse posted:

Be prepared for a few accidents. They're used to a rigid schedule and it takes a while for them to learn to ask and that they might not get another opportunity for a while. Just keep taking her out every few hours and praising her when she eliminates.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, keep it up! And congrats on your long dog

Thanks!
Let’s just say the problem solved itself on my parquet floor and it was a huge accident. Got it up pretty quickly though, but yeah that’s what I get for loading her with fluids. I’m happy it resolved itself and right after she had her accident she laid down on the floor beneath the sofa and looked super guilty and like she was expecting me to yell at her. I’m just glad that she decided she was comfortable enough to pee and to not hide under the dinner table. Now she’s sleeping.

… I hope it doesn’t smell though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yep, failed hunting dog. She does absolutely have the drive though, but so far she’s been easy to get to stop focusing on bird etc. She’s probably the calmest dog I’ve ever walked.
I’ll absolutely get some enzyme cleaner asap, thanks for the tip! My wife will pick some up on the way home.

Seems like she all of a sudden got super comfortable as I went to the toilet and when I got back she way sitting where I was sitting in the sofa, looking at me all proud. Had to make her come down… and she promptly tried again. Down she went again and now she is sulking on the floor. :3

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Super beautiful!

I lost the vote 2 to 1 so she now has a spot on the couch.

We found out her proper name was / is Lola and it works so we will keep it for now instead of the shelter name. Huge difference in her comfort level compared to yesterday. She still doesn't pee outside (which is why there are random chairs in the background, peed on the rug and we had to move the table), but is much less scared of everything and doesn't care about moving between rooms and through doorways in general. She "told" me she wanted to go outside by walking into the hallway etc, so getting better. She now also now goes through many doorways and rooms to say hi to us and being petted which she didn't do yesterday.
All in all, amazing improvement from one day to another. Only problem is the peeing, and with how cold it is she starts freezing (despite the fleece) in 15 minutes or so we can't stay out for long. She has been super stubborn with not moving an inch if she doesn't want to, but it seems like she's softening up and this evening she was excited to go outside just by my wife putting on her coat etc.

Also enzyme sprays are amazing. Thanks so much for that. Without it we'd be screwed.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Major Isoor posted:

haha yeah, greys have an interesting ability where they can instantly weigh 100kg, the moment they don't want to be moved! :D It's good to hear Lola is doing well though, aside from the business indoors!

david_a posted:

Some of these things are probably related… The fleece might not be enough for the cold. Katie has this combo and when it’s super cold she wears both the vest and coat.

I got Katie in late January and she would freeze up A LOT on walks in the first few months (coming up from Florida was probably part of it). The early weeks she would probably spend 75% of the time outside just standing still and softly whining to herself. She would also stop in the worst possible places like the middle of a crosswalk.

These may or may not apply to Lola, but the best ways to move Katie are, in order:
* If you are with someone else, have them keep walking. She will eventually get jealous and catch up. Doesn’t work when you’re by yourself, obviously.
* Wait her out. Stand in the direction you want to go at the end of the leash (don’t pull her). Sometimes it takes 30 seconds, sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes she just will not move. I found out that she would rather stand still and freeze to death than walk in a cold wind.
* Bribe her with treats. This works but she quickly figures out that “stand still = get treats” so it can’t be a go-to technique.
* Carry her. This sucks but I end up doing it fairly often! Last resort when she stops in a dangerous spot or I lose my temper after waiting forever.

I’m going to try putting on something improvised underneath the fleece (we got her this[url=https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07XQLNPNL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]) the next time. We’re going outside. Going to be a bit warmer the coming days as well. At least she has pooped a second time outside. The peeing inside is a complete “unloading” of the bladder and man does she look embarrassed and scared. It kinda breaks my heart because she really looks like she’s expecting me to yell and scold her. Makes me wonder what the previous owners did… I don’t say or do anything except just clean it up ASAP. My reasoning is that it’s pointless to give her negative feedback and I just have to wait for the outside peeing to start and then reinforce that instead. I’m starting to “get” the timing of her bladder though, so going to try to adjust when we go for a walk to better time with her bladder.
It’s also pretty funny with Lola because she has been two different dogs depending on if she’s outside or inside. As soon as she is outside she’s great and is probably the best dog I’ve ever walked. Calm, doesn’t pull, the leash is pretty much always slack and she listens and responds well to a gentle “Come” and a small tug on the leash when I want to keep moving. But inside she’s been super stubborn and I’ve had to carry her multiple times. Yesterday was a big breakthrough though and she’s “loosened” up. We did the jealousy trick in the stairs yesterday and she did come pretty quickly haha. She’s also hilarious when it comes to treats. As soon as she gets “mad” at me/us she just stops taking the treats almost like she’s insulted that I have the nerve to bribe her lol. The elegance of these dogs adds to the comedy. She also discovered that she likes the elevator more than the stairs, so that’s also battle we lost for now.
… and yeah suddenly weighs 100kg is spot on. Really strong dogs even if they are so thin. I have yet to weigh her but I can carry her no problem, but my wife finds her heavy and big. I also did a little sprint with her yesterday just to see what she’d do and I was running pretty quickly while she was doing a gentle jog without a care. Really drives home the point that they can reach speeds of 70 km/h.

actionjackson posted:

good news! nice chevron floor btw

Thanks!

Edit: So after a day of going outside every other hour and giving her treats and positive feedback every time she sniffs something that might lead to her peeing I've had no success yet. She peed inside right after we got home from the first walk. I think she is super overwhelmed by the city and all the sound and impressions. Her tail is firmly tucked in scared position most of the time. I'm trying to have her stay in hall now since it's small and the closest thing to "crating" that I can do right now (crates are hard to get a hold of here in Sweden since I don't think it's used very often except for in cars here, so everything is too small or out of stock). If she does pee, it's a stone floor so much easier to clean. Also getting some separation training done with it and I must say she is super good at it. She whines for a few seconds then goes to her bed and rests without any more whining etc.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 12, 2022

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Apartment unfortunately. When she's ready and we got the gear we'll take her to the family house out in the countryside.
But good news! After a long as walk without her peeing I gave it another shot and she did a long rear end pee on the lawn outside the apartment. First she was distracted when I tried to praise her but she got it and ate a ton of treats. Also did a poo (and a large one, perfect on the Bristol scale, which I'm happy about!).

Hopefully this is great progress. :) Also I love how she just stops and decides to sit and watch people walking by. The Greyhound way of sitting is so elegant!

Edit:
VVV: Lol! That's hilarious!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 12, 2022

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Wow Mac and Lola look very similar!

I just want to say thanks for all the help this thread has provided. Certainly has made it much easier to handle her. :)

My wife managed to take a quick photo of Lola sitting:

She does this either randomly when out for a walk where she decides to just sit or when other dogs pass close by. She just sits down and watches them. We also went to the dog field nearby and had her on one of those retractable leashes so she could run with us. Running next to a Greyhound is intimidating as hell as she barely breaks a sweat passing me while I'm sprinting at full speed.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Major Isoor posted:

Awwww :3: That's so cute - I haven't known other greys to just do that, when dogs pass by! You're definitely right about greys running, too. You can really notice them "shift gears" too. Like, if I'm jogging, Taz is in his second gear trotting along, then if I start sprinting he takes it up a notch and just effortlessly pulls away

I love that I have a sitting greyhound. :) Yeah I can't wait to see her running at full speed without us slowing her down and the "shift gears" thing is spot on. Can really see the different levels of running speed. It's really nice that we live right next to a big dog field at the beach that the city has earmarked for dogs (except for during the summer months) so they can run free (no fences though). I'm also super impressed with her eyesight, which shouldn't be surprising seeing as they are sighthounds, but she sees other dogs before they even have a clue... and rabbits...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

david_a posted:

They don’t actually have better vision than other dogs - a bit more peripheral vision due to their eye placement, but that’s it. My understanding is that they’re just highly tuned to react to motion which is why they can suddenly bolt when they see a plastic bag floating in the wind, a distant rabbit, etc.

Is there a fenced in area you can let her run in? It doesn’t necessarily have to be that big. A lot of greyhound adoption organizations in the US make you sign a contract to never take them off leash unless fenced in and will take back the dog if they find out you violated that. They get so fixated on what they’re chasing after that they will not pay attention to things like traffic or how to get back to where they started from.

Seeing a greyhound run full-out in person is pretty amazing and I’ve never seen Katie happier than when she gets to run. She has a blue rope toy I often bring out that she loves to throw around when running. She’ll lose it on the ground then try to pick it up during full speed passes.

Ah. Either way I love her perception. :) Yeah there are fenced off dog areas as well. We have one nearby so we'll probably go there tomorrow or something. We went to the beach dog park and ran with her and let her run on the retractable. She seemed to love it and so did we. Time just flies on walks. :3:

Alamoduh posted:

Sorry, I hate trying to upload photos on mobile, but if you like whippets, here’s bugsy:

https://imgur.com/a/oF9OfQ0

So cute :3:

actionjackson posted:

what height do you have your bowls at? My elevated one is at like 15" which works, but I have a galley kitchen the issue is I can't have the cupboards open all the way when it's there. I would really like a single bowl that is the same height as obviously you only need water most of the day, but otherwise I'll probably move it to the entry by her crate. no amazon links please
I have less than a weeks experience, but did a ton of reading before getting Lola and:
In the end I decided to have bowls on the floor since the only real study done on the subject reported an increase risk of bloat with raised bowls compared to floor level. I follow the other recommended rules from studies i.e. no exercise within an hour (at least) after eating, plenty of water since geryhound apparently are bad at drinking (I let the food soak in water and trick her into eating what is basically a soup). Keeping a close eye at her poop which so far is looking good. Pooped two times today.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

actionjackson posted:

which study are you referring to? I'd be surprised if there was literally only one, seems strange

Sorry I should have linked it: https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/dissertations/AAI3099198/
That’s the study. I did a search on pubmed as well but studies are generally either infection related or racing related. The study I linked is is one that mentions elevated bowls with regards to GDV in large breed dogs. There are other risk factors, but the odds ratio on the raised bowls was interesting.

There might be other studies, but non that I can find right now. There are several pages and other research that mentions avoiding elevated bowls, but they might be citing the above article. Problem is that many of them only leaves me access to the abstract, so can’t read the whole article and citations.

Anyway, as long as the defecation is good and regular with a good consistency, it should be fine but I’m not a vet. But yeah, keeping a super close eye on her poop as I’m pretty anxious about her developing GDV.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

actionjackson posted:

What breeds did they use in the study?

Having a hard time finding the original link where I could read the full article unfortunately. I never saved it. :( Many of the pet advice pages I come across echo the same thing about avoiding raised bowls though, but they never write sources for the information.
Either way the other risk factors are important as well and I will relax more as time goes by because right now it’s mainly the transition from shelter food to our food that’s might upset her stomach, but it’s been fine and yesterday she even pooped 2 times with good consistency.

david_a posted:

MrOnBicycle, you know you have to brush her teeth right? Sighthounds in general have bad teeth for some reason and greyhounds are the worst.

Yup. We are getting her used to it and taking it slowly because either no ones ever done it, or it hasn’t been done in a while so both she and her gums are sensitive. Bought some of those dental treats as well to help while she and her gums are getting used to the brushing.

Yesterday she sat down for a crow that was coming closer an closer lmao.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 15, 2022

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love Abby already! So cute!

Lola isn't at all that subtle. She aggressively boops us until we give more scratches. We met a Galgo and a Lurcher yesterday and she gets along super well with other sighthounds, so it's nice that there are some around.

Lola was interested in my Mom's art

... but only for a short while

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Sorry to hear about your mom. Don't give up hope until you get the pathology on this. It can be other things as well, and the biopsy is really the only thing that can give a definite diagnosis.

Also that last picture is glorious. Gave me a good laugh. :unsmith:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Love the pictures!

Lola is finally adopted by us, and now that she's ours we've decided to change her name to Ella because a combination of rude comments, her not listening very much to Lola, the possibility of there being bad associations to the name for her as well as wanting a clean slate. She's taken to Ella super well and is very good at listening to it. We are careful not to nag her using her name or using it for telling her off etc. She decided to reward her new owners with a big poo poo on our living room floor which she's never done before. :) No idea why she decided this was a good idea, but I blame the weather (cold and very windy).
She is becoming more playful by the day, and we've started to see some of the front legs shuffle starting to happen, which is hilarious to watch her do.

Bit of a bad experience with the shelter people though as they are clearly well meaning amateurs, but the badly worded contract we had to sign really showed this aspect and they didn't take questions about it and suggestions very well (because they couldn't understand what the problem was). Even some semi-snide comments by the woman handling the contract. No choice but to sign when we've already invested heavily emotionally. Just found it unprofessional and a bit sketchy.

Either way, the dog is ours now and we are very happy, and so is she:

Checkup at the vet (everything was great!). She was suspicious and my wife had to carry her through most of the doors:

The many different ways of sleeping:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

david_a posted:

Congratulations! She’s adorable. “Rude comments” :mad:

BTW a Martingale collar isn’t really designed to be worn all the time. That big ring on it can get caught on a lot of stuff which is especially dangerous if you leave her alone.

Katie has a second collar without a ring that she wears all the time (I searched for “house collar”). This has her ID tag on it which is flat so it doesn’t get caught on anything.

Radiation Cow posted:

Looks like Ella's settling right in. What were the rude comments about Lola, if you don't mind me asking?

Front leg shuffle is indeed the best.

Ah thanks for the tip! Will be taking it off more, especially now when she's more active inside! Yeah need to get some more collars and good ID badges etc, thanks for the link. I'll see if I can find something similar without ordering from the US, but good to have something to reference. :) . Also thinking of putting an AirTag or something (with the bleeping sound turned off) on her collar just in case.

The rude comments were people insisting on telling us that Lola sounds like a prostitute, which is a pretty pointless comment about a dog but ok. Either way, feels nice to have our own name. Fresh start etc.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

david_a posted:

Prostitute, lol. Glad she likes her new name anyway.

Is she microchipped?

Yup, and insured. :)

skoolmunkee posted:

ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA ELLA *treat*

She's down to mostly one Ella now! Even outside on walks. Super proud of her. :3:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So far Ella has only barked when super excited at playtime, at dogs that harass her and sometimes at me for telling her majesty to sit before she gets her treat. Seriously, it’s hilarious to see her do this routine of wiggling backwards in protest every time before she sits. She can sit easily and swiftly at other times, but if I have a super nice treat she has to protest my demands before doing it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Nice to read (saw in the trivia) that the US is winding down and phasing out Greyhound racing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I would be a massive shame if Greyhounds didn't continue as family pets (perfect dog for many, including me and my wife) because of racing stopping. I don't think I'd be interested in another breed now as I'm totally in love with Greyhounds. Speaking of popular breeds and prices, I've seen pretty much the same thing here in Sweden. There are a ton of "in fashion breeds" that people are selling. Both puppies and re-homing (and they still want $2500 despite being desperate to re-home). There was an article recently on the subject of inflated prices for dogs here where even a random mixed breed puppy could cost like $5000 IIRC. Insane.

Makes me even happier that we chose to get a rescue dog. We paid like $700 which goes to the shelter so they can keep going.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I like how Ella fully commits to ruthlessly killing her carrot.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ah yes. Comfortable!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

david_a posted:

Also these dogs look super weird when they sit

Yeah I noticed that Ella sits just like that, resting on the legs instead of her bum. It’s also pretty funny how she almost never sat down before we taught her the sit command (which also made it hard initially), but now she’s learned that we like it when she sits so she uses it to tell us that she wants something. She also sits more in general, like when watching us hanging laundry or whatever. Same story with lying down. Almost never did it in the straight (sphinx mode, which also looks odd), but now she uses it in the same way as sitting.

I swear we laugh at weird stuff she does every day.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Major Isoor posted:

Hah! Sounds like Ella and Opal have a lot in common. :D Interesting that you could teach Ella how to sit though - I didn't need to teach Opal, and I never had any luck teaching Tazo. (Opal taught him easily, though) But yeah it's always funny when they pull it out as their trump card, to try and get what they want haha

Like, here's Opal desperately wanting a piece of sausage last night:

Greys are funny dogs!

Yeah people didn’t lie when they said that these dogs have personality! Teaching her to sit was hard mostly because it was impossible to get her to sit using the normal tricks to get dogs to sit, but my wife managed to time it when out on a walk where she was sitting on her own. After she learned the word it went pretty quick. Now as soon as it rustle the ”high value” treats she goes through the motions of sitting and (now) lies down before I even have a chance to tell her to lol.

Opal has a very nice coat and colour pattern and lovely eyes! Reminds me of a Galgo that lives near us. Those dogs have really long tails compared to Greyhounds, but otherwise they seem to have the same personality. It’s so fun watching two sighthounds play.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

pastor of muppets posted:

We ran into another greyhound on our walk yesterday, which turned into two, which turned into an impromptu meetup in a neighbor’s backyard

Working clockwise from the top: that’s Ollie the red one, less than two years old and fresh off the tracks; my Rory, the only brindle and the oldest grey at 10; Gracie, a 15 year old Weimaraner; Pumpkin, a black female, also pretty young; and Chase, a black male, about 6 years old

Man this looks so fun! I can see them all doing the leg shuffle at the same time when playing.

My wife has been bringing Ella to her work more and more and she's settling in there now with a routine of either sleeping:

...walking to all the co-workers (who love her) and getting cuddles, playing with the other dog that's often there (they became instant best friends which was a huge relief) or doing this:
https://imgur.com/mxanoTT
She just goes round and round in slow motion letting the leaves "pet" her. No interest in eating them so we don't have to worry about it probably being toxic.
Whenever my wife can't find her she's always by the plant, doing the same thing.

I think we should buy her a similar plant for home.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Radiation Cow posted:

Aw, she's trancing. I've heard about it, first time I've seen it in action.

https://www.popsci.com/dog-plants-weird-trancing/

Wow had no idea about this but it 100% fits. My wife just told me that she's done it under hanging laundry as well. :3: We are buying her a plant so she can trance as much as she likes. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

david_a posted:

It got a few head tilts out of Katie and she normally doesn’t react at all to videos.

Same here.

Ella usually don't care much, but seemed to be interested in this Girl With the Dogs video lol:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

I love this :3:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DarkHorse posted:

Yesterday we had friends over and he just shoved under someone's armpit and used his anteater tongue like a proboscis to try and slurp up some pizza

Lmao!

Also I take you all get wet nose boops all the time? I swear Ella can't walk past me without nose booping me. I take it as a sign of affection, but sometimes it's a bit too much (like on my hand right after I washed them).

We also decided to finally take the plunge, swallow our fears and let her run free at the dog section of the beach. Basically a big grass field that goes down to the beach (in the city) with no fencing. Thankfully she didn't run away! She basically takes off to the nearest dog at a million miles per hour and tries to get the dog to chase her while we catch up. Never seen as happy as when she's here. I think we can relax about her running off now as well as it seems like she regularly looks back at where we are just to check that we are still there, and she's getting better and better at actually stopping / coming when we call. Lots of training to do still, but making progress. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Major Isoor posted:

Yep! Both of mime do it all the time, too. Opal often likes to chuck a li'l licky in there too, for good measure.

I'm not sure if you experience this, but although Tazo's wet nose is a fairly normal temperature, Opal's nose must be nearly as cold as dry ice! So you can imagine the surprise on my face, when Opal decides to sneak up and give me a kiss in the dead of night, then stare me in the eye as I wake up due to the abrupt wet and cold!

Ellas is usually pretty cold. At least cold enough that it can make you jump if she sneaks up on you x). I'm pretty used to waking up to it by now since my wife and Ella say good bye (she goes to work an hour earlier than me, and brings Ella with her), but I still think "man my wife is aggressive... oh wait it's Ella booping me and digging her nose in so she can get pets before leaving". :3:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So after talking to some owners of other sighthounds and doing some research, I'm thinking that Ella might actually be a Galgo Español and not a Greyhound. Did someone in the thread mention that..? Could also be some mix of sighthounds, but after comparing and reading up on them more there certainly are a ton of characteristics that fit better with her being a Galgo Español. She is exactly the right size, has a longer nose and the body is built more like a Galgo Español. She doesn't have the super long tail though, but from pictures it seems like they don't all have it.
It would also fit much better with the failed hunting dog story the shelter gave us, especially after reading up on how horribly Galgo Españols are treated in Spain (I have no reason to believe Romania is much better). I think what I've read about the treatment of Galgo Españols if one of the worst systematic abusing of dogs I've come across so far. :(

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

david_a posted:

I’ve never seen a Galgo in real life but Emma’s head around the eyes does look more Galgo-ish. I have no idea if Galgo’s have the same weird blood values and response to anesthesia that greyhounds do, so maybe it’s best to do a DNA test?

Good point! Just read about it some and seems like they react differently to anesthesia than Greyhounds (longer recovery and more sensitive). A DNA test would be really interesting in a way. I'll have to see what tests are available here in Europe, but if anyone have any recommendations I'd be happy to check them out.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 18, 2022

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ella seems to prefer dogs she knows she can outrun easily, making her popular with puppies and most smaller breeds. I can't stop loving the reactions of other dog owners when Ella goes on a full sprint. Especially if she's doing 50% while their dog is chasing them, and then just goes a full 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Maybe. My wife found out today that a new co-worker (just started 2 days ago) is afraid of Ella, so now she can't come to work anymore. Everyone was upset and sad about this, and my wife noticed that Ella seemed really down as well. Probably read the situation and knew something was up form how people reacted to the news. It sucks, but what can you do. My wife was upfront day one and told the new co-worker to tell her right away if anything about Ella comes up. Instead she decided to go behind my wifes back.

Anyway, we got the DNA test back for Ella, and it turns out that she's 62,5% Greyhound, 25% Galgo Español and 12,5% a mix where the test indicated that it's is most likely Borzoi, but could by some other sighthound. Doesn't seem to be anything but sighthound in her though. Super fun to know!