Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Fluval Edges...I just got the 12 gallon and have been cycling it. There's just a piece of driftwood and some dirt and sand so far. It got one of those milky bacterial blooms and while I was waiting for it to clear up, the impeller in the filter broke (I think it sucked up some sand while I was moving the driftwood around). I ordered a replacement part but meanwhile it's been sitting around for 4-5 days with no filtration and a bacterial bloom. Pretty gross.

My question is: should I just drain out all the murky water and start over, or try to salvage this batch? If salvage, where would I even start? I haven't tested the water quality because quite frankly I'm a little scared to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I was trying to start out with a fishless cycle because I didn't want to buy any new fish at the moment. I have some neon tetras and kuhli loaches in my other tank, a 10 gallon which is perfectly fine.

The driftwood seemed fine at first but then the filter died and it got all jacked up really fast. I could take it out and boil it but I don't think it would fit in even my biggest pot. Ugh. When I get home I will test the water and see what it says.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Got the new filter impeller installed, so at least there's that. The water measurements weren't as terrible as I expected: Hardness 120, carbonate hardness 120, pH 8.0, nitrite 0.5, nitrate 20. My other tank's measurements are harness 120, carbonate hardness 40, pH 7.5, nitrite 0, nitrate 40.

Suggestions?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
What is the horrible stuff and how do I get rid of it?

This is in my 12g Fluval Edge that's been established for like 7-8 years at this point. It's had some algae issues on and off for a while, but I moved about two months and had to pull everything up and it was a huge pain in the rear end and now the algae has just exploded.

I want to get rid of the Edge because it's such a hassle to clean. I have a 20g long that I'm going to set up as a Walstad tank, and I'd like to be able to use this anubias because I have a TON of it, but not if it's going to bring this stuff along with it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Stoca Zola posted:

Looks like Cyanobacteria to me, due to the thick sheets it seems to have formed. Does it smell weird to you? That's supposed to be a way to identify Cyanobacteria. Chemiclean by Boyd Enterprises has worked for me, I think it took 2 treatments to completely get rid of it in the one tank I had trouble in and despite it seeming like a very strong harsh chemical I've never found it to affect livestock. You'll probably still need to vac up the stuff as it dies but it should stop clinging to everything.

The sludge doesn't smell like much in particular to me, but when I moved the tank and uprooted everything it smelled very sulphorous when the dirst was disturbed. It also looks darker and browner than the cyanobacteria pics I found on google, and there are no bubbles in it (I've had the bubbly algae before and this is very different).

I'm leaning towards not putting the anubias in my new tank if I can't figure this out, which is a shame because it's about as long as my arm when all the pieces are put together.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Desert Bus posted:

Edit: If either of you are in the Continental US PM me and I will send you Malaysian Trumpet Snails and random plants you can try out. lmk.

I want snails! I'll try the Seachem stuff too. I actually have some in tablet form.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Hi posted:

my 8 year old who has no idea what "just a pinch" of food means feeds them when Im at work.

What you do for that is get one of those day-by-day pillboxes and preportion out the food. I did that when my brother fed my fish while I was out of town, and it worked great.

Here's my full tank, and a naughty cat. My tank light is only on from 8am-5pm, but the overhead light is on until like 11pm.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Hi posted:

I started my anti algae regimen now that Im home, will report back with results.

I got the stuff for mine, but I also got a much fancier testing kit and my pH is waaaay too high. idk what happened (I recently removed a driftwood log, maybe that did it) but I gotta fix that first.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BONGHITZ posted:

The shrimp get everywhere. You cannot save them all.

quote:

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf.

Then, smiling at the man, he said…..“I made a difference for that one.”

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I was waiting for my snail mail to begin Excel, but if they're on their way I'll start now.

I had to do algebra to figure out the approximate dosage for my 12 gallon and came up with approximately .5ml.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I have a jarrarium with some (I think) bladder snails, should I add some of those to my tank for the algae? Or should I just wait for my Malaysian trumpet snails?

Pond in a jar. It's been chugging along for at least four years. I just dump any odds and ends of plants from my 12 gallon in there. For some reason, the snails died out in the big tank, but a few have survived in the jar.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The treasure chest that opens with bubbles? I had one of those in the early 90s and it looks like they still sell the exact same one lol. I wonder if I have any pictures of that somewhere. My parents have a MASSIVE drawer of photos at their house and I was very into taking pictures of my pets.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

My new aquarium! I'm so excited. 20 gallon long, blackwater, lots of plants. It's still cycling so no fish yet, but I threw in half a dozen ramshorn snails. There's some crystals and geodes for good vibes or whatever.

In my other tank (where the algae issue is slowly resolving), I have one betta, one neon tetra, and one 9 year old kuhli loach. I'd like to move them over to the new tank eventually and get more tetras and loaches, but what I REALLY want is fancy little shrimp.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I got the geodes cheap from some bulk seller at the gem and mineral show. They're barely polished, let alone coated with anything.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I also planted my new tank a week ago and it's got that white bacterial bloom going on, and today I noticed the beginnings of black beard algae.

gently caress

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Blech.

I can't take out the branch because this is a Walstad tank with a double layer substrate (soil capped with sand) and the base of the branch is buried. The only livestock so far is half a dozen ramshorn snails, so I'll try the peroxide and limiting the lights.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That looks really nice.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Do you do Facebook? Is there a local aquarium or houseplant group you could offer it up in?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Should I do Flourish AND peroxide in my new tank? The algae amount is holding steady, but it's only a little over two weeks old and the water parameters are still wildly variable.

I also wanted to show my thrifted stand--my dad made a brace/fifth leg that I will either stain to match the wood or paint to match whatever little curtain I sew to hide the cords in the back.

And decorative gourds, because October.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Cool, thanks.

The snails sure are happy, though. They cruise around with their little antennae out and have laid tons of eggs. There's bladder snails that must have come from the pet store, because I only added ramshorns.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The water parameters in my new tank seem to have stabilized at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, somewhere between 0 and 5 nitrates, so I'm probably going to move my fish over in the next few days. I'm also going to move over the heater, which is covered in algae. I'm planning on scrubbing it in a bleach solution before putting it in the new tank. Any other hot tips?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I finally move my fish to my new tank and tore down my despised 12 gallon yesterday and gave the giant algae covered anubias and all the substrate to some guy from Facebook and he gave me a bottle of honey from his bees. It was a pretty good trade in my opinion.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Desert Bus posted:

It's 100% better to buy online from a quality retailer than to pick stuff up from a local place, fish stores can be VERY hit or miss

loving seriously. I got six neon tetras and two kuhli loaches at a local fish store a couple weeks ago, and five of the tetras have died since. They also seems to have brought some kind of contagion with them, since they all got kind of slimy and gross looking before passing, and my betta came down with fin rot that advanced super quickly. I've been treating the tank with doxycline and the betta is much more bright and animated (still looks like he lost a night with a weedwhacker, though, poort thing). At least my loaches seem happy.

Also, Desert Bus, where is my snail mail???

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Desert Bus posted:

I feel terrible about not getting snails out to y'all but have mostly been using what little motivation I have to do poo poo like eat food and kinda keep up on basic hygiene and keep the litter box clean. I tried to reduce side effects slightly and ended up causing a massive spike in both pain and fatigue, whoops!

Get well soon, buddy, that's more important than snails.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Personally I would rather have a big school of little fish over a couple big fish.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I want some little shrimpies so bad. I don't care that my husband thinks they're creepy underwater spiders.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Apparently Seachem sends these to aquarium stores.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
New aquarium hassle just dropped: the cat who chews through the vinyl air tube and manages to dislodge the bubble wall air stone and uproot some plants at the same time.

I'm going to sew a fabric sleeve to go over the replacement tubing so it doesn't have that plastic texture she loves to bite so much.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Filterchat: I completely removed the HOB filter of my 20 gallon Walstad tank and the water turns green about a week after every water change even though my parameters are fine, which is annoying. I guess I could start filtering again, but the whole idea was to not have to have a filter! Bleh.

I think I need more critters. I have a betta, two neon tetras, and three kuhli loaches (one of which is eight years old). I want to get maybe half a dozen more tetras and some fancy shrimp. Aquatic Arts is the place that prequarantines everything, right?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Desert Bus posted:

THIS GOES AGAINST EVERY BONE IN MY "LIVE PLANTS = BETTER" BODY

Neon Pink and Neon Blue and maybe other neon color plastic plants light up real real good under a moonlight.

I will look for pics but lol I have like 10s of thousands unorganized aquarium pics going back like 20 years.

If you're cool with fakes the neon fakes kick rear end under LED "moonlight."

In an old tank, I had some uranium glass marbles that looked awesome and ever since I've wanted to do a dinner table tank with a uranium glass place setting and glofish.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Wallet posted:

I thought about hiding the canister but I don't think a huge fuckoff cabinet door would really improve things.

I'd make a fabric panel with magnets--easy to remove/wash/replace. At some point I'm going to make matching curtains for my front door window and under my aquarium stand. I already made a waterproof pad to protect my stand from drips and a fabric sleeve to protect my air tubing from the cat.

A terrible picture but you get the idea.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I had a regular anubias that ended up as long as my arm after seven years (of neglect).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bonster posted:

The package:

Did they KICK it to your house? Good lord.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The brittle star sounds surprisingly interactive.

And on the topic of freshwater, how many shrimp is too many shrimp in a 20 gallon? I got some from Aquatic Arts a while back and they are breeding prolifically. And what do I do with them once I have to many? Offer them up on facebook, I guess.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The thumbnail looks like a National Geographic magazine with the gold edge.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I love giant ancient monster fish. Oscars the size of a salad plate, goldfish the size of a softball, plecos as long as my arm, whatever that goby thing is.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I only have one tank, thank you, and it has both tetras and a betta in it. No issues.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

RodShaft posted:

How big and how many tetras? Do you have any cleanup crew?

Two tetras, one betta, three kuhli loaches, and lots of snails and shrimp. It's a 20 gallon fully planted Walstad tank so lots of hiding space. I'm going to order some more tetras from Aquatic Arts once it cools down outside.

edit: shrimp mukbang front and center. I put a couple kernals of corn on a needle on a piece of thread and dropped it in there. Makes it easy to retrieve the parts they don't eat.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 12, 2022

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I used coconut coir compost capped with fine aquarium sand, which as you can see works great for growing plants, but if you breach the sand cap it makes a huge mess, so if you do that I suggest using a heavier sand/small gravel.

edit: for lighting I use those cheap Aqueon clip lights (https://www.aqueon.com/products/lighting/clip-on-led-lights) and a sponge filter.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

SocketWrench posted:

That's the way my tank at work started "Oh, you put shrimp in it? Shrimp are ugly" And after a couple weeks "Where are the shrimp? Oh, look at them so, they're so cute!"

My husband still calls them "creepy little underwater bugs" lol