Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
my son has been asking me almost every day now if we can get an axolotl cause he got some in minecraft and now hes watching axolotl videos on youtube

he is 7 so obviously he isn't gonna be the one taking care of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, if you want a cool aquarium pet axolotls are actually pretty great, quite affordable, and relatively low stress as far as large amphibians go.

The biggest difficulty you’ll have is probably keeping the water cold enough in the summer. But if you’re ok having the tank in an air conditioned room the whole time it’s hot out and/or running a chiller you should be fine.

Just from a mentality and ethics standpoint, I’m against the whole idea of making a pet “belong” to a child, especially one under the age of like twelve. It usually ends up sacrificing the well-being, safety, quality of life, and eventual longevity of the animal on the altar of “teaching skills + maturity” that will only really be properly learned and developed when the child grows up.

Pets should belong to the family and be treated as a family responsibility. They should not be siloed off in a little kid’s bedroom to be traumatized and neglected to death. Adults should lead by example in the care and proper treatment of family pets, and incorporate their kids in that process, not yell at their ADHD third grader about whether or not they fed Bubbles for the umpteenth time 2-3x/week.

But if you’re cool with having an axie/axies, sure by all means get a family salamander.

my son still can figure out "don't put your shirt on backwards" so i sure as hell am not getting him an exotic pet

I'm still in the middle of cycling my 75 gallon, but if his axolotl fad doesn't die out in like a year, i was maybe considering a 20 gallon long tank in an empty corner in the living room i have for an axolotl, for myself to take care of

The Nastier Nate fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 15, 2022

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
FInally finished cycling the other day and I moved my tetras into their new home. Now I'm still deciding what to put in next...I'm going to add some more glo tetras in it maybe bring it up to about a dozen and then find a pleco that wont grow to 2 ft long. The green and orange ones look great under the purple light.

After that I'm open to suggestions. I'd like something that pops, maybe like 5 or 6 angelfish but I've been told the tetras will nip at them. If I was starting from scratch I'd just do a cichlid tank but I don't think i can add any of those unless I'm ok with them being assholes to all the existing smaller fish.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
This is my new royal pleco. My son named him Coffee cause he's coffee colored.

The thing I learned about Coffee is he's quite the abundant pooper and it's white so its messing up my otherwise pristine black aquascape.

Other then that he does a good job of cleaning up the statue and driftwood in the tank.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cowslips Warren posted:

Beauty, but he's not a royal pleco. Looks like a farlowella to me.

i think your correct, it said royal something i couldnt remember on the tank so close enough for me. I'm still relatively new to all of this

SocketWrench posted:

Ah, a whiptail. Had two of those in my tank for five years. The only issue I had is it was heavily planted at the time and hard to ever find them. Occasionally one would come out and rest on an anubias leaf

i have lots of plants there but they are all sectioned together so he has plenty of places to hang out on the bottom so he's easy to find. i'm thinking of getting some kribensis cichilids to round out the bottom of the tank

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Stoca Zola posted:

Important to note: it’s not just being picky to get the name right of these fish, it’s important to know what you have so that you can research and give it appropriate care. For example some “pleco” type fish require meaty foods, and some require driftwood to gnaw on for digestion and if you give either of them just algae wafers it isn’t good for their quality of life.

(This is aimed at Nate who has said they are new. The more you research the easier fishkeeping becomes!)

Thanks. It was labeled correctly at the fish store I just forgot the name and I’ve just been calling him a pleco cause it’s easier for my kids to remember then Royal Farlowella.

He does get an algae cookie once a day and he did have some cucumber when I put it in his tank. And I do have driftwood which I see him attach to once in a while.

Gonna try zucchini next time i go to the store.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Most cichlids commit their crimes in broad daylight they just don't care. Angelfish get bonus points for the extra cunning. I have a love hate relationship with firemouths. They are aggressive enough to destroy a community tank but will absolutely get their rear end handed to them by anything labelled as "aggressive" in aquarium stores.

I broke down and got 3 angelfish for my community tank last week, despite numerous sources saying i shouldnt but the guy at the fish store said "eh it'll probably be fine" and that was good enough for me.

so far though they've been great. no fins have gotten nipped and no ones been an rear end in a top hat that i can tell.

left to right, Stephanie, Michele, DJ

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Bonster posted:

How young are they? Mine are perfectly peaceful and happily schooling, but I expect that to change dramatically when they start thinking about making more angelfish. Also, make sure you don't have any small fish that will ultimately fit in their mouths, like neons.

That said, I love mine. They're super friendly and curious (I have a hard time vacuuming the tank because they want to check everything out without thinking maybe going for a ride in that pipe thing wouldn't be fun!

i actually dont know how old they are but no, definetly nothing small enough to fit in their mouths

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i have my 75g freshwater but i really want to get a 2nd one, either that size or maybe a 125 to do a saltwater reef

2 tanks is probably the most i can handle though. i feel like having more in the small house i live in is gonna start to get weird

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

RodShaft posted:

So... Pee in the tank? Gross.

that feels very goon appropriate, BUT

if there's an Ace Hardware near you they sell a jug of pure 10% ammonia that I've used to cycle 2 tanks with from scratch and its like $10

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i broke down and got a blood parrot cichlid for my community tank even though everything says its a bad idea, so far he's only been a medium rear end in a top hat instead of the full fledged one i was afraid of.

I really just wanted an orange fish to name Bingo to go with blue acara Bluey

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
debating whether to spend my tax refund on

a) kids college fund
b) pay down my credit card debt
c) this motherfucker right here https://www.fijicube.com/products/fiji-cube-81-gallon-rimless-ext-glass-tank-stand-sump-water-reservoir and finally get a reef going

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

VelociBacon posted:

I thought you were supposed to dose ammonia every day if you had no livestock, and you knew it was good to go when you had 0 ammonia the following day.

if you dose ammonia everyday in a brand new tank isn't that going to overload it?

i thought you wanted to keep it at a steady 4ppm until it starts going down, then dose it back up to 4 till its cycled.

i'm currently cycling a saltwater tank and use this https://spec-tanks.com/ammonia-calculator-aquariums/ which i've used when cycling before, but ive only ever done freshwater till now.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Tenchrono posted:

Do plants just absolutely suck ammonia, nitrites, nitrates up? The tank is very heavily planted and I havent had any nitrite or nitrate readings so far and just very little ammonia. The Ph is in the "zone" where the bacteria can survive so I am not sure what exactly is going on. Its just filled with 20 or so nano fish and a dwarf pleco so there isnt so much that can be produced but I thought there would at least be a little bit of nitrates.

your ammonia and nitrite should always be 0.

nitrates at 0 means your plants are doing their job. I have less plants then you in a bigger tank and my nitrates are always 0 which is good cause I'm super lazy about water changes.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
finally finished cycling and began stocking my soon-to-be reef tank.

that's 2 tomato clowns and and a hippo tang. thinking about adding a goby/shrimp combo, maybe a couple cardinals then eventually corals

now you might say "nate is that a hippo tang in a 65 gallon tank? they need something twice as big why are you such an rear end in a top hat?"

to which my response is, my kids love Dory so i picked the smallest one they had an am gonna hope for the best. worst case scenario if she gets huge i have an excuse to upgrade to a 120

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ok Comboomer posted:

you've already made your commitment

plenty of time to plan out how you're going to do up both the 120 and the 65

EDIT: joking aside, you could actually be really utilitarian about it. Set up some frag racks and prioritize using the 65 as a grow-out tank for an eventual 120 for a year or so and then scape up the 120 using the corals that you've grown and propagated. If you're really efficient you could produce enough stock for both tanks, and also scape the 65 into a display after dismantling the grow-out setup.

after my divorce i had to downsize from a large single family home to a townhome. i already have a 75g freshwater in the kitchen. I might upgrade the 65 but I'm calling it at 2 tanks.

plus i think after that point it starts to get weird. I can't be bringing women home and have them walk into a small house with several tanks...maybe a small subset of women will think its cool but the 40 and over dating pool is already shallow enough as it is.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I appreciate the tomato clowns. They do not get enough love and they are awesome.

Ngl, I love them but the lfs didn’t have a pair of Nemo’s so I went with the tomato’s

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
my DIY upflow algae scrubber i decided to build on a whim cause the algae in my 65g saltwater was starting to get unsightly

instead of spending $200 on one, i built one with about $40 worth of matierals. most of that coming from an air pump and tube i had laying around.

i found a black plastic case and knitting mesh at a craft store. attached the mesh to the air tube with twisty ties, attached the case to the side of the sump with suction cups. drilled a few holes to let water in and the air tube.

on the door of the stand i put an LED light from 5 below to shine right into it

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Where do y'all like to buy your aquatic plants? The aquarium store here went out of business and Petsmart here is sometimes a bit iffy, I generally don't buy live animals from Petsmart but sometimes they have a few aquatic plant clippings.

ive gotten lucky bamboo and amazon swords off Amazon and they were great.

also check Etsy. I got chaeto for my saltwater refugium at a good price and came in good condition

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i added my first coral frags to my tank the other day, a mushroom and a kenya tree. the mushroom looks ok but the Kenya tree looks like poo poo. I've read that they are basically impossible to kill, super hardy and also like to shed but this had to be dead right? The polyps all fell off and its shriveled and white.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Lareine posted:

Don't goldfish tend to murder plants? She is not thinking this through at all. You can't stock your tank based on the whims of children.

if i did that my tank would have like 10 axolotls in it

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I believe they're extremely hard to keep alive, but extremely pretty so people try, and a lot of animals die.

I’ve murdered 6 fish so far in my saltwater. I’m not proud of it but it’s the truth.

Most of them have been because my 2 tomato clowns are loving poo poo bags

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Anyone go to Reefpalooza this weekend?

Love to drop $300 on corals and other accessories

God this hobby is a money pit

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

HazCat posted:

As a freshwater person, I appreciate the hard work that salt water people do to make my hobby appear frugal and low maintenance.

god my freshwater tank is a dream. clean the canisters every couple months, do a partial water change and feed the fish and thats it.

my reef tank is a labor of love and a black hole of money...and i still am stubborn enough that i want to upgrade it from a 65 to a 120g down the line

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
After months I've finally got to the point where not all of my corals are being assholes and some are opening up

And my freshwater:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Hadlock posted:

Where did you find such giant lucky bamboo? I've not seen it such large diameter before

amazon, 18 inch stalks

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Saltwater is going better. The ninety cube is looking good

looks amazing, what kind of lights are you using?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It's an ATI Radion G4. Can't remember if there's more to the model than that.

I actually turned it down recently, it's weird to be in a position where I *don't* want the light blasting at full power, but it clearly made a positive improvement.

i did the same thing. i turned my blues down from 95% to 70%...huge improvement

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
my poor white tail trigger decided to eat a chunk of glue i put down while i was gluing some coral to rocks. now he's got a a blob of glue stuck in his mouth.

normally i wouldnt panic cause i googled it and everything says it should fall out on its own after a couple days. also he's a loving rear end in a top hat so he kinda deserves it, but now its been like this since Friday, he hasn't eaten since Thursday and I'm starting to get worried. If it doesn't fall out by tonight I think i might have to attempt to manually remove it with tweezers

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I'm always terrified of that, but yes, everthing I've read suggests it usually resolved itself. Maybe the beak of the triggerfish is too good a surface for it. It's a tough spot, I'd probably gamble on trying it too. Heck, maybe even the commotion of capture will cause it to come loose. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

So far it’s a moot point cause the fucker won’t let me catch him in a net and I’m not willing to disassemble all the rock work to get him. I hope that glue frees itself real soon

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Anything new on the glued triggerfish? :ohdear:

yes, i ended up disaemmbling almost my entire rock structure to catch him in a net and had to rip the glue out with tweezers. after 5 days it became likely the glue wasnt going to fall out on its own. if it was a cheap damsel or something i might have let it go but not for a $50 fish. anyway after a few attempts with the tweezers the glue came out and he's back in the tank and eating again.

Here he is swimming around, good as new, in between all my latest impulse coral purchase that cost me a fortune on this dumb hobby

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
corals! I've put a morotrium of buying any more livestock for my tank until September 1st, but some of my corals aren't actually looking like garbage so I thought I'd share. tank has been running since February,

Here's my latest impulse buy, a gonporia, but I call it a gonnorhea because I'm a child. It was a good price and then I got home and researched and realized how difficult they are to keep alive and that even if i do everything right it will probably die within a year anyway. At least it looks ok so far.

Toadstool looking good, its bigger then the picture angle implies

clove polyps. they are doing ok, not really as special looking as i hoped but some of my assholes decided to eat some of the polyps in the back you can see it looks like they were hacked off. I think it was my Dory, shes moved to the top of the poo poo list cause these are slow growers

rhodactis and whatever the other one is

lovely zoas, barely have grown since i got them

good zoas

and a wider shot of the tank, you can see the pipe organ frag and a few other corals in it

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Nice corals!

I really love clove polyps, but be careful to either isolate them or be prepared to have them everywhere. I love them, but even I will avoid the blue clove polyps because I've seen them engulf a tank.

Did the cardinals pair up? Is that a tomato clown?

Very exciting tank :-)
Those are I think firework cloves, definetly not the blue kind.

The pajama cardinals more or less keep themselves.

I do have a pair of assholes tomato clowns.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cornuto posted:

We're going to get an aquarium for our son's 6th birthday and have him help us with the upkeep. There's one at his kindergarten and he loves it.

We're considering the 9 Gallon Fluval Flex: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WYWY97/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A26YHQTHC323GD&psc=1
Looking for any advice for what mix of fish to buy; any products or brands that goons recommend or recommend avoiding; basically any advice welcome.

first thing i tell anyone is to google how the nitrogen cycle works. after you figure that out, i think a 20g is a good place to start, start it with a few tetras (the bigger ones) so if he ever upgrades down the line they can co-exist with bigger fish.

I'm also assuming you mean to start with freshwater. If your doing saltwater thats a whole other set of problems

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cowslips Warren posted:

So many awesome RO fish and I do not have an RO unit and it makes no sense to get an RO setup for one tank.

New topic. I got some micro brittle stars for my 29 gallon, and over the months I have seen less and less of them. I don't know if the bristleworms outcompeted them for food, or they're all hiding, but I never see them. So I'd like to set up a tank just for them, like a 10 gallon with live rock, and see if I can get a good population going.

i got this, and i put it in my bathub when its time for a water change every 2 weeks and make enough for the WC and top offs, then put it back in the closet when im done

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

DeadlyMuffin posted:

An auto top-off is mandatory for saltwater in my opinion. With one in place, salinity stability should be a solved problem.

I disagree about size. I have had a 10 gallon tank with a ~5 gallon sump full of coral going for over a decade. I find it easier to keep excellent water quality in the 10 gallon tank than on my 90 gallon system (or my 150 gallon system, and yes I know I have a problem).

The difference is that I can do weekly water changes of 5 gallons on the small tank without much effort at all. Changing a significant amount of water on a big tank is a production.

I also had a brittle star in it for 7-8 years.

:shrug:

id say your problem is you dont have a 250 gallon

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

pastor of muppets posted:

BEHOLD

These guys are all about 6.5 months old and they are between 9 and 10 inches long. They are monstrously HUGE.

So far I’m pretty sure I have two males and two females: the leucistic and the wild type look female, and the mel and goldie look like males. Will give it a couple more months before I call it officially but in the meantime I’m setting up another tank so I can split them up by sex.

im jealous. my son asked for an axolotl for months but between 2 tanks, a dog and 2 kids i got enough things in my house i gotta feed

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Haven't posted any new corals in a while. I spent about $150 on aquarium stuff last weekend and promised myself I won't get anymore livestock till after new year.

I forget exactly what this leather is called, but its growing fast.

birds nest, SPS, just got this a few days ago. I wasn't sure about i at first i got it cause it was on sale, but the polyps on it look really cool and have good extension

torch and hammer frags. the hammer looks so puffed up when the lights are on full

candy canes!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cowslips Warren posted:

I hate to sound like I am down with the game of thrones breeding style, but I have not added any new mouse blood to my breeding stock in a few years now, mostly due to the annoyance of quarantining and the fact the last time I did, most of the new mice died in quarantine.

i think the problem is that your keeping your mice in an aquarium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cowslips Warren posted:

In fairness, I've actually downsized and no longer have mice and aquariums, but in a nice rack system where they get a lot more airflow. 🙂

Has anyone found any online fish supply stores that are actually doing a decent Black Friday sale? That's the only thing I'm actually looking for this year. Either for livestock or goods.

dunno where your located but if your in the philly area i just spent a bunch today on a place i go to with 20% of all livestock.

my promise to myself to not get any more stuff until after new years did not make it past black Friday sales