Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Heresiarch posted:

what the gently caress

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

JadeRaven posted:

So you guys are just going to have to loving trust me on this one
http://www.goatse.cx/

i can't even tell if this is a joke

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
tbh I'd rather have a gaping anus

JadeRaven
Nov 12, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

i can't even tell if this is a joke

It has to be right? If he was actually serious he would surely pick the stupid fake money that at least pretends to be not a joke

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Cease to Hope posted:

tbh I'd rather have a gaping anus

new thread title

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
it's clearly a joke it's just not funny

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JadeRaven posted:

It has to be right? If he was actually serious he would surely pick the stupid fake money that at least pretends to be not a joke

one crupto currency was legitimately used to get a national team into the winter olympics. the one is dropping like a rock due to magic the gathering online exchange

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

JadeRaven posted:

i'd rather gaze into a gaping distended rear end in a top hat

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Heresiarch posted:

both storify and tweetdeck want you to manually add every tweet to the story/timeline, there's no way (that i can find) to pull in a whole conversation and edit it using either tool

i'm just giving up, twitter sucks, i'll cope

Well, here is my half-assed attempt. And that guy is a loving douchebag.

http://storify.com/booktweeting/twitter-bitcoin-debate

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

JadeRaven posted:

what is that man doing to his cryptocurrency

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.

JadeRaven posted:

You knew about this because goatse is your homepage, isn't it?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

well this is weird, i signed up for storify earlier today to see if i could use it to archive that twitter convo with bitcoin jesus, and then when it turned out to be too much effort i gave up

i just got an email from storify telling me that somebody just did it for me

is this one of you guys or is this just some weird coincidence

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

JadeRaven posted:

:stare: i think i need a hug now

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Heresiarch posted:

well this is weird, i signed up for storify earlier today to see if i could use it to archive that twitter convo with bitcoin jesus, and then when it turned out to be too much effort i gave up

i just got an email from storify telling me that somebody just did it for me

is this one of you guys or is this just some weird coincidence
idk who AlbieQuirky is, but

AlbieQuirky posted:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

uncurable mlady posted:

twitter is really bad in general

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

whoops, there's my answer

thanks for going to the trouble like that

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Heresiarch posted:

whoops, there's my answer

thanks for going to the trouble like that

It wasn't a big deal, but don't know how accurate it turned out. If you do a better version, let me know and I'll delete that one.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

YOSPOS › "tbh I'd rather have a gaping anus" - the bitcoin thread

Heresiarch posted:

what the gently caress

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
lol someone replied saying it's expensive so the butthead thought they had the ultimate :iceburn:

XWzGjtin0 posted:

In this case then this country should not complain and expect any effort from our side. Let it die slowly but surely.
but then

fhqwhgads posted:

Indeed. If Bitcoin can’t play by the rules, it’ll be dead soon enough.
:owned:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

It wasn't a big deal, but don't know how accurate it turned out. If you do a better version, let me know and I'll delete that one.

i am honestly not too concerned. i was mostly just whining about how halfass everything seems to be on twitter and i doubt if i'll ever need to actually refer to that conversation, but thank you nonetheless

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

[–]chalash 55 points 4 hours ago (66|11)
This is a big deal. Money transmission BEFORE a crime has occurred is now being treated as money laundering, which was previously the obfuscation of money sources AFTER a crime has occurred.
buying pseudonymous internet points with the explicit stated purpose of buying illegal goods is not money laundering because

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

best thread title 2014 - this thread

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
the mods do love us

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
well that's magical

Disabled Hitler posted:

now all we need is ohsh and the gang's all here

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

jony ive aces posted:

lol someone replied saying it's expensive so the butthead thought they had the ultimate :iceburn:

but then

:owned:

ok i'm gonna own up to that one

wouldn't normally write such a lovely little comment but i figured it'd get the most rage out of him

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

still not sure what "it" he was referring to. the united states? lol yep anti-money laundering laws are the death knell of this country

JadeRaven
Nov 12, 2008
If Goatse isn't a part of your computer's start up routine then you can get the gently caress out

Cease to Hope posted:

well that's magical

now all we need is ohsh and the gang's all here

He was the first person I told about this and he wouldn't click it. It was extremely unohsh like behavior

It had references to buttcoins and a shock site. That's two of his favorite things on this earth

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

jony ive aces posted:

buying pseudonymous internet points with the explicit stated purpose of buying illegal goods is not money laundering because

because when the bitcoin does it, that means it is not illegal.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Look, if Wired says it's a disruptive new paradigm, it's above the law.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

because when the bitcoin does it, that means it is not illegal.

quote:

[–]coqui33 2 points 2 hours ago

the seller was told the funds/bitcoin would be used for illegal activities (this was a quote of mine)

Why does everyone keep saying this? The only source for this allegation a police press release.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i can rules lawyer my way out of a tight spot in dungeons and dragons, and real life is simply an extension of that, ergo,

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the interesting thing is that it doesn't seem like the funds being expected to be used for criminal acts matters in the law. the police went the extra mile to make sure that they nabbed willing money launderers instead of just some people who didn't know about the law.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the rozzers nabbed the dodgy geezers innit

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
[–]twiked 8 points 5 hours ago

If your local shop owner said "I'm gonna use it for drugs" when you give him your money, you have to take the cash back and shop elsewhere ? Wasn't aware of this law.

[–]PoliticalDissidents 3 points 2 hours ago

But your shop owner isn't a lying big that wants to lock you up in a cage

[–]psynusoidal 4 points 2 hours ago

Overdid what? What any sane, non-authoritarian individual would consider perfectly harmless, legitimate business?

[–]gotamd 4 points 2 hours ago

Who do you think you are, making a living for yourself?

[–]psynusoidal 2 points 2 hours ago

I disagree. This difference in thought is what separates a free man from a slave.

[–]psynusoidal 4 points 1 hour ago

"So if I were to sell grocery bags full of Euros out of the trunk of my car, you'd consider this a legitimate business as well?"

Of course.

"You're also aware that every remotely developed country on earth regulates the sale of currency?"

Because they're not free.

[–]psynusoidal 3 points 51 minutes ago

Of course.

It's not commerce that is being regulated. Things are not and cannot be regulated. It is people and their behavior that are regulated, through the use of coercive force.

[–]psynusoidal 2 points 22 minutes ago

I did not dodge any question, I answered with a very clear affirmative, "of course". You are reading too deeply into what I wrote. I'm saying that, in a general sense, the only things that can be regulated are people. Regulation of any sort, commerce or otherwise, is a direct affront to an individual's freedom. Freedom and regulation are mutually exclusive.

[–]Patrick5555 3 points 1 hour ago

does he face prison time? Does the constitutional amendment on slavery allow slavery when it is punishment for a crime? Does it have to be as bad as 1860 slavery to still be slavery?

[–]psynusoidal 2 points 1 hour ago

Nice misrepresentation of my argument. How delightfully dishonest of you.

I disagree that a business needs to be "licensed" to be legitimate. Legitimacy does not stem from government approval. If you do believe that government approval is what creates legitimacy then you are not free as you have relinquished your own volition.

[–]danster82 22 points 4 hours ago

So instead of law enforcement doing the proper thing and telling the fellow you do know you cant exchange more than $20,000 without a money transmission license? Instead of doing that they deliberately entrap him by setting up a fake $30,000 trade, its just so lame its beyond words.

That was not the intent or the spirit of the law.

The whole idea of money transmission license needs reviewing.

It is once again a banking lobbied and written law because I swear to God I can bearly find a single person who thinks they ought to need a license to exchange THEIR money which leads me to conclude the people never wrote this law.

[–]ApplicableSongLyric 7 points 2 hours ago

No, it's just proof positive that we have too many goddamn laws.

We need a dozen criminal laws only and the rest meted out in the free market and civil systems.

[–]paulej 6 points 1 hour ago

You've got that right. What's more, the government is more focused on money transmitters than the people who are breaking real laws. They can't find the drug dealers, so they arrest these guys. They should be so proud.

[–]ApplicableSongLyric 5 points 6 hours ago

All the more reason to offer more goods and services directly in BTC and flip a finger to fiat.

[–]captaincoffee88 4 points 4 hours ago

This is why we need a decentralized LocalBitcoin/BitMessage p2p application with reputation system. No escrow. Just a way to arrange an in-person transaction time/location and weed out bad actors with low reputation.

[–]psynusoidal 1 point 2 hours ago

Sorry, but I'm not in the business of tongue-cleaning boots.

[–]A1nerd 0 points 8 hours ago

I thought Bitcoins are not a commodity or currency how the hell can they go to jail for money laundering! Looks like in America when you try to get rich and your successful you get thrown in prison for a felony

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

...! posted:

[–]paulej 6 points 1 hour ago

You've got that right. What's more, the government is more focused on money transmitters than the people who are breaking real laws. They can't find the drug dealers, so they arrest these guys. They should be so proud.

but when they arrested all the silk road people it was bad because:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Disabled Hitler posted:

Some people can't function without looking at it once a day.

Literally shaking right now

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JadeRaven posted:

ehheheheh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

...! posted:

[–]Patrick5555 3 points 1 hour ago

does he face prison time? Does the constitutional amendment on slavery allow slavery when it is punishment for a crime? Does it have to be as bad as 1860 slavery to still be slavery?

• Locked thread