Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

ayn rand hand job posted:

anyone got the bitcoiner in brazil story

the boys from bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

does that mean they've nabbed 5 other people as well?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

MICHAEL ALLEN MARQUARDT

MICHAEL ALLEN MARQUARDT

MICHAEL ALLEN MARQUARDT

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

threaded conversations are illegible garbage and i don't want an algorithm that lets a majority dictate what i see

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Vicas posted:

i don't feel comfortable posting in buttcoin thread under 1000 pages

don't worry, it's going up UP UP!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

what is german spell check like?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

transfatphobic posted:

no joke if apple somehow bitchslaps bitcoiners into oblivion i will buy an ipad or some other i-product

you should probably do that anyway

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

need to add "knows nothing about grammar" to the venn diagram

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Brain Aged posted:

oboy

https://www.mtgox.com/press_release_20140207.html

Statement Regarding BTC Withdrawal Delays

Tokyo - JAPAN - February 07, 2014

Dear MtGox Customers,

During our efforts to resolve the issue being encountered by some bitcoin withdrawals it was determined that the increase in withdrawal traffic is hindering our efforts on a technical level. As to get a better look at the process the system needs to be in a static state.

In order for our team to resolve the withdrawal issue it is necessary to temporarily pause all withdrawal traffic to obtain a clear technical view of the current processes.

We apologize for the extremely short notice, but as of now all bitcoin withdrawals will be paused, and withdrawals in the queue will returned to your MtGox wallet and can be re-intiated once the issue is resolved. Customers can still use the trading platform as usual.

Our team will be working hard through the weekend and will provide an update on Monday, February 10, 2014 (JST).

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience, and ask for your continued patience and support while we work to resolve this issue.

Best regards,

The MtGox Team

itshappening.gif

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Dex posted:

Most changes were done straight on the production environment

ahahaha

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

JadeRaven posted:

So you guys are just going to have to loving trust me on this one
http://www.goatse.cx/

i can't even tell if this is a joke

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

i've pronounced them "doje" like the venetian guy and sheeba like the queen of sheba. c/d?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

wait

is 1ponziUjuCVdB167ZmTWH48AURW1vE64q even a valid bitcoin address, or are they just destroying their coins?

probably a vanity address

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Rannos22 posted:

Has anyone made a site that claims to give btc for real money but really just takes your money and spits out a "invalid address sorry no refunds" error yet? Or is that p much what magic the gathering online xchange was?

no because stealing real money is a crime

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

loaded this on my phone, pop up says "site sponsored by candy crush saga. Download now for free!"

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

it's okay if mtgox goes down. people will just know not to do business with mtgox in the future and ahahahahah

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Anyone in the office want a coffee? We've got a Keurig... kinda.

it's free coffee, but with bitcoin!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Phoning It In posted:

clean source and a malicious binary

that is hilariously clever

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Robawesome posted:

Bitsavings Promises 5% Monthly Interest on Bitcoin Deposits

A bitcoin deposit service called Bitsavings is offering returns of 5% a month to anyone bold enough to put their savings there.

Despite the name, Bitsavings is not attempting to be a bitcoin bank and seems to be offering users worldwide a chance to buy into its trading scheme, which it says is “working fine thus far”.

The company, whose site went live 60 days ago, is based out of Panama according to a spokesman. Terms and conditions listed on the site state it is subject to the laws of Romania. The deposit address listed on the site, however, had recorded no activity and had a 0 BTC balance at the time of writing.

ah, bitsavings as opposed to bitcoin savings and loan, and 5% interest monthly as opposed to 7% interest weekly. it's gonna be pirate40 2.0 (pirate80)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

man i hate it when someone goes back in time to take the money out of my hands as i hand it over and then act like i hadn't paid yet

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, this thread is pretty quick to jump to conspiracy theories, but this is sounding extremely likely

well, "cleaned out" in the sense that they are insolvent, since as an exchange the value they handle is orders of magnitude greater than the value of the company itself, so even a minor break no doubt quickly screwed them over

and now they have no recourse and are in a mostly unregulated market with nothing left to lose, plenty of fun likely to come

only reason we jump so quickly to conspiracy theories is that buttcoiners have consistently proven that they are the worst kind of people again and again

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

conspiracy theory would be that the gox anouncement was meant to crash the price so they could rebuy the bitcoins they need (which is being stated on r/bitcoin because lol)

that they got screwed over by spoofed transaction IDs is pretty clear at this point. the real question is "how much is gone?", and the massive clusterfuck of their outbound transactions failing due to drawing on empty wallets that the system probably thought had sufficient funds indicates the answer is "a fuckload"

wouldn't getting screwed over require gox's customer support to manually resend the funds to whoever complained? shouldn't they have realized that the money was going out at double the rate?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

they're stealing our k's!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

:justpost:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

the bit where the main tent pole of bitcoin is decentralised no govt interference but then when it goes wrong they want to sue people or have the police involved really annoys me

like it really really bothers me

it's very very simple. everytime you see the word libertarian, just replace it with "selfish idiot"

edit:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

so the theory is that the magic the gathering online exchange lost all their coins through incompetence and protocol defects -- can this be verified externally?

nope, unregulated!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

opzeg my neg hole

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

i'll call it: overstock wants bitcoin on their balance sheets so they can play accounting games with its value to hide their losses

we're talking about a company that's has only had a handful of profitable quarters since being founded over a decade ago

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

anthonypants posted:

please tell me reddit started yelling about how keynes was wrong

e:

pre-freedom history

it is the year 239 PF (post-freedom)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

...! posted:

The fact is, 2014 is the year of the bitcoin.

2014 the year of the bitcoin desktop

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

...! posted:

Bitcoin is a rip off! (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by rev42walter

It seems to me that in every Bitcoin transaction I am paying fees, no, not miner fees but fees to some other company, exchanges, bit pay, bit instant, localbitcoins.com and now myceliums soon to be trader app wants its cut too. All this means Bitcoin isn't working, it isn't free (ever), and in fact is expensive for daily usage. it depends on third party centralised companies. Might as well go back to banks and cards. Right? Can anyone actually tell me they bought something where they (or their merchant passing on costs) didn't pay a 3rd party fee? What is the point in fee free decentralised currency if we have to pay centralised businesses fees to spend or recieve them in practice.

[–]erikwithaknotac 9 points 1 hour ago

Capitalism, bitch. You don't like it, go make a free bitcoin service.

it's almost as if nothing is free and when we don't pay taxes to have things done by a government, profit-seeking firms will take its place!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

FCKGW posted:

bottom

new mac pro looking pretty good

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Proteus4994 posted:

Mom's Basement would be a good username

much better than Proteus4994

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

so what you're saying is that the price of bitcoin will increase as long as new people buy into the system? what happens when people stop buying in? what's a ponzi scheme?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

...! posted:

this is what I am torn on. Technically any corporation / business as the right to refuse service to any person or other business. But banking is so ingrained in our day to day lives, its become nearly a necessity.

on the one hand i'm an individual being told to eat poo poo by a powerful corporation

on the other hand i'm a libertarian

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Robawesome posted:

Just had another idea... (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 51 minutes ago by BoboWoCro

So from reading this forum and on other bitcoin resources, it seems like most people who are really passionate about bitcoin think that it is currently undervalued... it may one day be worth in the four or five figures per each bitcoin.

It's too preliminary now, but one day when the price is much higher, wouldn't it be an awesome display of the power of bitcoin if its users pooled some of their money together and purchased the car company Fiat, so that we can rename it to Bitcoin?

I recently bought my first bitcoin through Coinbase and if bitcoin is ever valued at $10,000 or more, I pledge this one bitcoin to go to this cause. Who's with me? Let's do it, bitcoin!

Bob

don't sign your posts

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

insolvency isn't a problem for the bitcoin world.

fractional reserve though...

fractional reserve banking works as long as you have the FDIC to bail you out in a bank run. otherwise you get what happened in the Great Depression where banks can't cover their liabilities and everyone loses money.

once again buttcoiners have accelerated economic history

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

TVarmy posted:

Anyone care to do the math to figure out how much a bitcoin transaction costs in terms of electricity?

I did a back of the envelope equation based on an article bragging that Bitcoin uses $15 million dollars worth of electricity per day, and divided that by 7 transactions per second, times the seconds in a day.

So... we have $15,000,000 / (7 transactions * 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 24 hours) = $24.80 per transaction if the network is operating at full capacity. It's currently at bit more than 1/10th of that, according to blockchain.info, making it more like $225 per transaction.

I'm not saying I'm sure the $15 million number is right, but if it's even in that neighborhood :drat:

hell, even at $1 million a day, that would mean $1.65 per transaction. so much for low fees!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

buttcoiners are advancing so quickly economically that I fully expect them to show us the future of economics by the end of the month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

gonna be hard to top this week

only way to top this week is if the crash starts in earnest next week and falls to double digit prices

or if every single exchange closes at once

or if mtgox finally completely closes

or if any bitcoin sale is ruled as a currency exchange in the us

or

• Locked thread