Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
was excited about a thread title change and met the cruel reality face-first

thanks stoutfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Herman Merman posted:

no, it's not fine
it produces socially crippled people, illiterates, libertarians and bitcoiners
yeah it's one of those things that can work but tend to fail tragically in practice :smith:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i just wanted to read about funy bitcoin...

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The Leck posted:

there was an article in the paper yesterday relevant to this thread's interests (in the life and arts section for some reason).
thank you for posting funny bitcoin in the bitcoin thread :)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i was really hoping that on this page we'd be able to move past and heal from that loving derail but i guess not!!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Werthog 95 posted:

btw, that webcomic in ur av is loving hideous. i don't know what it's called but i recognize it every time i see it because his style is just the worst
it's girl genius and yeah the art is probably the worst thing about it (the fanbase might be worse but i've managed to avoid finding out for certain)

the guy (phil foglio) also did some art for the first run of magic cards and even by that standard they looked awful :v:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

/r/actualmoney Improvement Proposal 01 posted and deleted by legal tender money lovers. Who lives in the real world now (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago by fts42

Posted the following to /r/actualmoney and it got deleted (not instantly, so I guess a moderator did it). I don't care if they expect me to post stuff with only humor/satire pointed in a particular direction or with a particular attitude towards legal tender money, I just spoke my mind. After all, legal tender money is money of the real world, right? So let's be frank (although with some parody):

After writing a comment explaining some of the fundamental workings of actual legal tender moneys here I came up with an idea to more evidently demonstrate the full potential of this form of money to all users. The idea is loosely inspired by the ideas of colored coins and smart property which I am sure you are all well aware of.

Hereby I present to you Actual legal tender money Improvement Proposal AIP 01: Notes of Effects in the Real World (NERW).

The idea is that since each note is printed on an order from a living person and is intended for real world activities, such as running the government, we could add a special field to each note, called "Designation", specifying the precise activity that it is intended to do, so that each subsequent recipient could see the wisdom of the creators and redistributors of the money. Furthermore, I propose that we add another field, of the type ordered list, called "Effect in the Real World", listing all the actual impact in real life of this very actual form of money after each transaction. These simple changes would bring some very useful information which I believe would be simple enough for everyone to interpret and make better decisions based upon, and also greatly improve the workings of webs of trust, reputation systems and one of actual legal tender money's crowning features - the Anti Money Laundering protocol. I believe that these two fields would carry so much useful information that they could one day render the "amount" field obsolete (but we could leave it in, just for backwards compatibility with all of today's doublespeak).

But to see how it actually works let's imagine a real world scenario:

Alice uses the services of an obstetrician called Bob and then, to pay for the service, she presents Bob with a NERW legal tender payment representing the manufacture and subsequent use of depleted uranium munitions that eventually led to birth defects in 10 Iraqi children, among which a mortality rate of 90% was observed. Bob accepts the note, since it is in legal tender, and legal tender means that by law the person owed cannot refuse it as a payment of debt, unless another payment currency was specified at the time a contract was entered into, if the debt originated from a contract at all. Bob now is the undisputed owner of this NERW and can do whatever he wants with his NERW.

Another example: Alice is not yet aware of the full potential of actual legal tender money and therefore does not accept it in payment for her work or in any kind of contract she enters into. Alice's baby is accidentally killed by Carol Co. corporation. The blockchain of actual legal tender money judges through an intelligent legislatively codified process (not through the cold inhumanity of computers as with Bitcoin) that Carol Co. corporation is to pay Alice for damages in actual legal tender money. Carol Co. corporation pays Alice with notes that bear the same fore-mentioned Designations and Effect in the Real World. Alice is forced to accept the settlement as this is the verdict of the wise blockchain of actual legal tender money.

I hope you now better understand the potential of actual legal tender money. What do you think - would you accept such money?
i've read this three times now and i still don't even know what the christ

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

synthetik posted:

i couldnt pay in doge

wait a minute

literally every bitcoiner dedicates their entire "social life" to preaching about butts... and these guys thought that they could charge for it??

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

jre posted:

looks like there is some trade volume on gox again
whoa, what just happened here?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

Apple is abusing its monopoly, plain and simple.
:what:

alternatively

free market bipch

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
edited to show the complete url :unsmigghh:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
serious question what's going to happen to all the butts/actualmoney in magic the gathering online exchange because this is not a sustainable state

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Werthog 95 posted:

Lol, Roger is absolutely radiant with joy after MT Gox CEO's showed him those "bank statements". Roger, did Mt Gox employees use lube and how many dicks did you take at 1 time on your visit, 2 or 3? Were the Mt Gox banking team hard at work stretching out your Anus on your recent visit to the Mt Gox headquarters in Tokyo, Japan? I bet you love being the fucktoy of all those wealthy Japanese businessmen, and delightfully lapping up their bucketloads of semen as they send you on your way with a flashdrive of other customers' bitcoins plugging up your leaking rear end in a top hat.
piss christ

why has nobody quoted this

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heresiarch posted:

welp, i keep doing this

odds that he's blocked me?
what does he even think he's saying

the only thing that the protocol does is keep coins from being duplicated (as inefficiently as fukken possible too), how is it even tangentially relevant to this

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

JadeRaven posted:

So you guys are just going to have to loving trust me on this one
http://www.goatse.cx/
christ that's horrible

also "shybe" :getout:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cantorsdust posted:

i've pronounced them "doje" like the venetian guy and sheeba like the queen of sheba. c/d?
"shibe" is supposed to be the first syllable of "shiba inu", so "sheeb"

"doje" is how floating vector strong bad pronounces "doge" so i can't disapprove even though i'm p. sure it's just supposed to be "dog" with a long o

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i'm the disturbingly wobbly handwriting and linework and everything else

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sham bam bamina! posted:

lol @ everyone itt who needs the forums to ignore the lovely poster for them

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heresiarch posted:

goon reposts anti-sa rant by dogdickcoffeetable guy in gbs, gbs posters think it's a real op, buy him a custom title, etc. eight pages in and people are still responding as if the op is real
:iamafag: that's our gibbis! :razz:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
imogen nooooo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Troglyfe posted:

Just my 2 cents, but...

...and that's what I think about that.

Now where's my two cents. My thoughts aren't free, y'know.
Verified: Sham bam bamina! ---> ß0.00285714 BTC [$0.02 USD] ---> Troglyfe

gently caress it, i'll never get that character to show up right

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 10, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

anthonypants posted:

just google baht: ฿
3647, ok

it refused to paste and i didn't know the number

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

jre posted:

:stare: There's now a $100 spread between mtgox and all the other exchanges
:gowron:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ab Fablet posted:

you mean like java and flash?
like a pre-checked box for some worthless toolbar or "download manager" adware bullshit

honestly surprised that you aren't familiar with this kind of thing

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
gently caress i'm an idiot

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Werthog 95 posted:

Dear users,

The trading engine is currently stopped due to the recent volatility and the fact that we exhausted our funds on Bitstamp in this critical moment.

We are waiting for new deposit to hit our Bitstamp account, after which we will resume the trades.

have a good day
Raphael

lmfao
have a good day too :tipshat:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

surebet posted:

bitcoin double spends are going up uP UP!

https://blockchain.info/double-spends
what's reddit's take on this page

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

TO DA MOON. End of story.
well i guess that settles it. close the thread, nothing more to say.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Boxturret posted:

i never heard that phrase until dogcoin so i think the buttcoiners co-opted it
it's a really old phrase and i'm 99% sure that the bitcoiners were sincere about it from the start

wow you guys are quick

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is somehow unsurprising that bitcoiners would adopt/repurpose such a nakedly misogynistic catchphrase
it's been used in the positive, bitcoiny sense for ages though :shrug:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Boxturret posted:

i meant with regard to bitcoin but i guess i missed some reddit stuff
jesuschristpooprstar definitely lampooned its use as a catchphrase before dogecoins existed

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
at this point i'm beginning to think that bitcoins aren't even real, this whole thing is just an elaborate comedy arg

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Troglyfe posted:

Is the hammer part of some high-larious bitcoin in joke? Or is this just bitcoin jesus being a ❄~special snowflake~❄?
it's a miley cyrus video

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mulatto Butts posted:

the whole bit-conomy is just dicks loving asses to get more butts
:eyepop:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TVarmy posted:

I love how the Bitcoin developers are downplaying this by saying they can think of 10 worse bugs to fix.
backed by math

algorithms, not institutions

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Robawesome posted:

this spam attack thing is just great.

and I can't be bothered to look for it but i've seen people post cell phone pics of this transaction with the accompanying message

"this small amount of BTC can probably never be spent economically"
that's a lotta satoshis!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Robawesome posted:

o-m-g

Just had a terrible experience with a localbitcoins transaction. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 minutes ago by im-a-fat-loser

I have 7 bitcoins to my name and decided to sell them this week because I needed money for rent and food and I just don't see bitcoin go up in price any time soon. I figured I'd dump them all on localbitcoins and I'd be financially ok for half a year or so.

Anyway, I got in touch via skype with a guy that wanted to buy all 7 of my bitcoins for $700/each. It was a little lower than I wanted but I desperately needed the money so I agreed. We met in the local walmart parking lot late last night and I asked him to show me the money first. He did, he had all $4900. Actually he had $5000 and was "tipping" me the extra $100. I transferred the 7 bitcoins to his wallet and once the transaction was confirmed he suddenly pulled a huge knife on me. It was like 7 inches long. I couldn't run anywhere because I was half in my car with the door open and he was standing in the door way. He ordered me to hand back over the $5000. I hesitated but he started getting a bit aggressive so I had to hand it over as I was afraid for my life.

He ran to his car and took off and as I tried to get his plate, noticed he didn't actually have any plates on his car. I should have loving noticed this before I did the transaction but I didn't. Maybe it was because it was dark out. I quickly drove to the police station and filed a report but I'm doubting they'll get my money back now. Sometimes I wish bitcoin did support chargebacks because I wouldn't be out $5000 right now.

I'm so angry with myself and my wife is mad at me because we're out the $5000. I don't know what I'm going to do. Such a lovely experience.
so give the guy a scammer tag and let the free market self-correct, i don't see the problem here :confused:

that username isn't low-hanging fruit, it's fukken rotting on the ground

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ElectricMucus posted:

I'm the And that's good ... !!!!
"i'm" the "quote marks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

If you really want him to start accepting bitcoins himself, ask him, “Do you take worthless paper money at this store? Good, because you’re not getting a satoshi from me!” That will convince him that you think they’re valuable.
in what world would this store owner have a clue what a "satoshi" is

and how is it possible for the buttchugger to not look like a crazy rear end in a top hat in this scenario

• Locked thread