Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which team will win The Amazing Race?
This poll is closed.
Flight Time and Big Easy 14 19.72%
Bopper and Mark 4 5.63%
Caroline and Jenn 0 0%
Dave and Connor 6 8.45%
Margie and Luke 2 2.82%
Natalie and Nadiya 3 4.23%
Brendon and Rachel 2 2.82%
Jessica and John 1 1.41%
Jet and Cord 21 29.58%
Joey and Meghan 1 1.41%
Leo and Jamal 17 23.94%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Aw yeah, folks. The Amazing Race is back, and so are a bunch of old teams that you probably didn't like the first time around! Or maybe you loved them. I don't really know. All I know is this - The Amazing Race All-Stars will be the 24th season of CBS' Emmy-winning reality television series. And even better, it's a season in the spring! Football is over! No more delays! MAYBE!

If you haven't watched the show before, the premise is quite simple: teams of two race around the world, one "pit stop" to the next, completing tasks and deciphering clues along the way. First team to a pit stop in each episode wins a prize. Last team to a pit stop has a strong chance of being eliminated. Eventually, we get to our final three teams, who finish the race with a leg in the United States, and whoever wins that leg earns the coveted prize of $1,000,000. Expect a lot of laughs, a fair amount of drama, a lot of fake crying since Rachel is back, and for the word 'amazing' to be thrown out way, way too much. Since season 18, this show has been broadcast in HD, which is really great so you can see that Rachel doesn't cry actual tears when she tries to manipulate Brendon.

Season 24 begins on Sunday, February 23 at 8/7c.
Season 24 filmed from November 16 to December 6, 2013.

Meet the cast with this video or check out the individual cast interviews linked in each team's name!

Flight Time and Big Easy - NARFZ

Original Run: Season 15 (4th place), Season 18 (2nd place)
Why did they lose: Their inability to spell or to pedal a bike quickly across a bridge.
Why they'll lose again: The Amazing Race appears to be the exact opposite of their actual, everyday life - in real life, they're pitted against weak opponents that they school and make look like idiots. But in the world of Amazing Race, their competition is fierce! Especially against a crop of "all stars", they have no chance. But, once again, they will win everybody's hearts, giving them the nice consolation prize of nothing.

Bopper and Mark - Kentuuuuucky

Original Run: Season 20 (5th place)
Why did they lose: Dancing is really, really hard when you do it in India for like 15 hours or whatever.
Why they'll lose again: Bopper and Mark are really lovable, but they almost died trying to finish the race the last time they participated. It only fits that they won't be able to make it through the entire race this time. They're incredibly lovable and will compete with the Globetrotters for Everybody's Favorite Team Of The Season, but they have very little chance of winning the top prize.

Caroline and Jenn - Endless Singing

Original Run: Season 22 (4th place)
Why did they lose: They had to swim in a bog and failed.
Why they'll lose again: Surely the race will have some kind of swimming task? It feels like there's been one in a lot of races lately. Failing that, just look at their placements in all of the legs during their season - they never finished better than third in a leg, and only finished in the top half of the racers twice, despite making it to the penultimate leg.

Dave and Connor - My Achilles Tendon!

Original Run: Season 22 (8th place)
Why did they lose: Dave died.
Why they'll lose again: Cancer. But in all serious, if they stay healthy, they have a good shot at going far. They were doing incredibly well before (and even while) Dave ruptured his achilles tendon racing to a pit stop. They won two legs and finished no worse than third before they decided to opt-out of the rest of the race. Everybody was right! They came back!

Margie and Luke - HEKHOVC :qq:

Original Run: Season 14 (3rd), Season 18 (8th)
Why did they lose: Surfboard meltdowns, illiteracy, no sense of taste
Why they'll lose again: Something will crop up to make this team absolutely lose it. They're insufferably smug and self-righteous when they're doing well - which, to their credit, happens during routine legs of the race. That just makes it all that much sweeter when they find a task that requires them to do something a little strange, at which point they blame everybody else and collapse inwards upon themselves like dying stars. It's wonderful.

Natalie and Nadiya - COME ON TWINNIE

Original Run: Season 21 (4th place)
Why did they lose: Evil gays.
Why they'll lose again: They were pretty capable racers, they were just SO LOUD. At some point they will likely offend the curator of a museum, or deeply insult some random person performing a very sacred ceremony, and as such will be literally cursed. A ghost will end up eating them and regret it for eternity.

Brendon and Rachel - :cry: :qq: :cry:

Original Run: Season 20 (3rd place)
Why did they lose: Probably something Brendon did, if you ask Rachel.
Why they'll lose again: I hate to say it, but they were good racers. It was just that Rachel is one of the worst people in history...not just the history of reality television. We're in for another season of her crying randomly simply to manipulate Brendon, who just wants to get to the pit stop and do well. They'll get to some task that Rachel will refuse to complete for some completely vain reason and they'll lose as a result.

Jessica and John - Express Pass Invalid

Original Run: Season 22 (9th place)
Why did they lose: John's hard-headedness led them to finish hours behind everybody else despite holding an Express Pass.
Why they'll lose again: Just out of pure stubbornness. I actually quite liked them, and when they're doing well, you can expect to see them at the front of the pack. They (John) just have no concept of the race as a race and lose sight of the bigger picture when they (John) get too focused on a single task. Like when they made a weird tribute to a peppermint in some random guy's backyard, deciding for no reason at all that it was a task. Like, I'm not making this up.

Jet and Cord - Permanent Hats

Original Run: Season 16 (2nd place), Season 18 (6th place)
Why did they lose: Evil gays.
Why they'll lose again: They probably won't. I'm guessing that their superpowers have warmed up just enough to finally get them across the finish line first this time. CBS and America both love the poo poo out of these brothers and it would be a complete superwin for the show if they pulled it out. And fortunately for Bertram Van Munster, they're very capable racers who probably would've won if Dan and Jordan hadn't convinced a stewardess to let them into first class while staying within the rules of the show.

Joey and Meghan -

Original Run: Season 22 (5th place)
Why did they lose: Unfortunately, they weren't beheaded.
Why they'll lose again: They probably won't, because our God is a vengeful God and it's fairly obvious we've angered him enough to let these two clowns get cast on this show again. Hopefully they will, because even though they made it to fifth place overall, they weren't really all that great and usually lingered near the back of the pack, surviving due to other racers' mistakes.

Leo and Jamal - Afghanimals

Original Run: Season 23 (4th place)
Why did they lose: Leo just couldn't figure out the proper order of a giant robot.
Why they'll lose again: Either on the first leg or the last, they'll be confronted by angry southerners in the states after doing their war cry. They definitely have the potential to do well in the race, but they also have the potential to melt down - not quite as spectacularly as Margie and Luke will, but enough that they won't be able to recover from it.

Phil - Our Glorious Host

Original Run: Seasons 1-23 (1st place in our hearts)
Why did he win: He is Our One True God.
Why he'll win again: He's just that awesome. Phil is a fantastic host of a show that doesn't require much from its host, and as such we all worship him. Especially when he takes off his pants.

Previous Threads:
The Amazing Race 23
The Amazing Race 22
The Amazing Race 21
The Amazing Race 20
The Amazing Race 19
The Amazing Race 18
The Amazing Race 17
The Amazing Race 16
The Amazing Race 15
The Amazing Race 14

Fezz posted:

HuluPlus has 235 episodes of old seasons. Go watch the first season. See how it started, see how young Phil looks. Relive your favorite moments, like when the Weavers lost or when the Weaver mom got run over by a wagon. Good times, good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Also, The Amazing Race E-Penis Game is back! Come play along, predicting the outcomes of the legs as the show happens!

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Is it wrong that I really don't want to see any of them win just because I'm sick of "all-stars" seasons?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Tyberius posted:

Is it wrong that I really don't want to see any of them win just because I'm sick of "all-stars" seasons?

I'm with you. This is actually only the second season since TAR1 that I'm skipping over (the other one was Family Edition.)

Hope everyone manages to salvage some entertainment out of this sorry lineup! Otherwise I'll be tuning back in for TAR25.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
Leo and Jamal kind of annoyed me when I was watching their season, but I have to say that I'm cheering for them this time around. They were pretty entertaining.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Yay! Though half the teams I'd like to see catch some rare, flesh-eating virus. Margie & Luke and Rachel & John (John's okay, really) are two of my most hated teams ever.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Just when you thought LONG STRONG AND HARD TWINNIE would go away...

My memory of this show is fuzzy, but I think Mark and Bopper are the only ones I remember fondly. Go them.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Tyberius posted:

At a minimum, I wish they wouldn't bring back teams for a third time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
COME ON TWINNIE!!! :unsmigghh:

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Now that's a cast! Not a single Kelly among them! Caroline and Jenn are probably the least popular but hell, they finished fourth. also: hot

Some of the teams are grating (TWINNIE, Joey, Afghans, John looked like he needed to be punched in the face though I seem to recall he was actually not a bad guy), some unlikable (HECKHVO, Brenchel), some awesome (Kentucky, Globetrotters). Looking forward to this one!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Episode 1, Minute 1: Meteor falls from sky, instantly killing the Twinnies and Team Youtube

...pretty please?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I think the twinnies are going to take it. Here's how I feel about them: I hate it when they're on my screen, but I respect their strength and drive (although the money stealing was a bit much). I like seeing strong 2-female teams.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Really strong cast, with even the villain teams being pretty capable. If Joey and Luke and Rachel get hit by a truck while running for their bags right after Phil says to be safe, we'll have a good time.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Factor Mystic posted:

Really strong cast, with even the villain teams being pretty capable. If Joey and Luke and Rachel get hit by a truck while running for their bags right after Phil says to be safe, we'll have a good time.

This.

I'm looking forward to watching a lot of these folks again. And looking forward to the most annoying teams hopefully losing quickly.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003
And Margie. Leaving Brendan and Meghan to race together. Although truthfully, I actually like team YouTube better than the rest of you do. As far as competency goes I think team twinnie and team cowboys have a decent chance.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, this might be a really great season. I'm usually sick of all star casts, but as I was scrolling through the list there isn't a team on there I don't want to see. The drama inducing teams were not the kind that I wanted to turn off the TV for, they had the right amount of eye roll and stupidity to make them worth watching. The good teams, I said to myself "Oh I want them to win!" at least five times, it's going to be hard to see many of these lose.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
I have no idea who Caroline and Jenn are (can we replace them last minute with Dustin and Kandice?), but everyone else were competent racers, even if I can't stand half of them (mostly Luke). A little bummed that the Mark and Mallory frankenstein pairing that was rumored didn't actually come true, but this should be a great season. Especially if Margie and Luke are eliminated in the first episode. I think TAR has been on a bit of an upswing from those inoffensive, yet completely forgettable middle seasons, so I hope this doesn't ruin its momentum.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Wizardryo posted:

I have no idea who Caroline and Jenn are (can we replace them last minute with Dustin and Kandice?)

Hellllllllls yes. I'm not big on three-time racers, but for Dustin and Kandice I'd make an exception.

Also, can we get Brooke and Claire back?

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Poque posted:

Also, can we get Brooke and Claire back?

I remember reading that they were asked to come back for the last all star season but they declined because one of them was pregnant. They're one of my favorite teams, so I hope they eventually come back.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I've only seen two seasons ever, seasons 4 and 17.

someone sell me on this season!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

John Cena posted:

The cast is full of people who have proven to be both entertaining and strong competitors (or Joey/Meghan). The race will pass through lots of beautiful places and at some point someone will jump off a bridge. You will get to learn the awkward guilt of hating a deaf person, wonder how the Cowboys keep their hats on and if you're lucky you'll get Phil in a Speedo.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I missed the season with the Big Brother team, but Rachel seems so utterly horrible that I haven't even seen her on-screen but I kind of want to skip the season anyway, at least until they're eliminated.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I at best disliked all of these teams on their season(s). Most of them I actively cheered for their failures and wanted gone ASAP. The one exception being Mark and Bopper, but come on, it's a race between them and Team Cancer for who's going to need a medic first, it's like watching KKKolton on Survivor.

The only ones I've warmed up to are Flight Time and Big Easy. Lots of misogyny this season. And I'm expecting easy tasks, given how many of them failed at tasks that asked for a normal IQ.

This is pretty much my biggest hate-watch tv show ever.

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

The biggest e-penis of them all!
I actually don't actively hate most of these teams (with the exception of Rachel), but this season just reminds me of all the teams I would rather see on an All-Stars season (Brooke and Claire, Jaymes and James, Mark and Abba, etc.) That said I'm definitely still watching.

I've also been irritated by the dearth of new countries in the past few seasons. I mean, c'mon, there are still a bunch of relatively stable Eastern European and African nations we haven't seen yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Israel is pretty goddamn safe lately and utterly gorgeous, I wish they'd go there.

Honestly there's quite a bit of Middle East they could hit -- what's wrong with Egypt or Jordan either, guys?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think they should go to Ukraine and Syria. But as a Margie and Luke only leg.

Detour: Dress up as a riot policeman and collect $25 for cab fare.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

John Cena posted:

Watch BB Canada instead

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Pfft. Here is what a true all stars season would look like:

Danny and Oswald
Flight Time and Big Easy
Brian and Greg
Bowling Moms
Team TTOW
Lori and Bolo
Zev and Justin
Toni and Dallas
Chip and Kim
Colin and Christie
Charla and Mirna
Lena and Kristy

Edit: actually, replace TTOW with James and Jaymes.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 21, 2014

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

R to the J posted:

I actually don't actively hate most of these teams (with the exception of Rachel), but this season just reminds me of all the teams I would rather see on an All-Stars season (Brooke and Claire, Jaymes and James, Mark and Abba, etc.) That said I'm definitely still watching.

I've also been irritated by the dearth of new countries in the past few seasons. I mean, c'mon, there are still a bunch of relatively stable Eastern European and African nations we haven't seen yet.

I'd imagine where they go is mostly decided by the network and their insurance companies. That said, wrestling bears in Romania would be a good challenge.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Factor Mystic posted:

Agreed. There's only a few teams this season that I remember actively hating, and there's actually quite a few I liked. At the moment I'm going to root for Team Cancer because they were doing fairly well until they got eliminated by an injury. And getting taken out by something other than their own incompetence is always a disappointing way to go.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I wanted to like them, but cancer they really got to be wearing cancer with their constant mentioning of cancer cancer. Unless I'm cancer mistaken, they brought it up so often that it became a cancer category in the e-penis.

Also, cancer.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Joey and Meghan :suicide:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JakeP posted:

Watch BB Canada instead

This is most likely happening.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Ghostpilot posted:

I wanted to like them, but cancer they really got to be wearing cancer with their constant mentioning of cancer cancer. Unless I'm cancer mistaken, they brought it up so often that it became a cancer category in the e-penis.

Also, cancer.

And the dad cried at the drop of a hat.

I'm voting for the Afganimals. At first, I was not a fan of their hooting and hollering. But they grew on me with their attitude, generally being good at the game and little ways they would gently caress with their opponents without being assholes.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

And the dad cried at the drop of a hat.

Did he? I honestly can't remember. When I think of waterworks, my mind immediately goes to Rachel's continuous stream of mental breakdowns. It really was a sight to behold.

Oooh, I wonder if there's a supercut of all of her crying episodes from that season.

Edit: I almost forgot about this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woDB-3r-WWk&t=6s

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 23, 2014

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I always used to say the best "All-stars" season of Amazing Race would be full of "also-rans" -- interesting teams that got eliminated in the very first leg (or before the first leg even started, like that one couple).

But that was before I got the chance to see Flight Time and Big Easy race again. God, I love those guys. I'll put up with Margie and Luke for them.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Ghostpilot posted:

Also, cancer.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

Also, cancer.

Yep, plus the crying, and being rude/ignoring all of the other teams. I don't expect them to be BFFs with everyone, but show a little bit of a connection to these other people you're racing around the world with. It was really off-putting.

The end of season 23 was on tv at like 2am last night, and if you had reminded me of the challenges from that finale, I never would have been able to come up with the final 3 teams.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
As much as I'm not looking forward to this cast, at least this season will answer questions. Who can cry the most, Rachel or Dave? Who can be the loudest, Twinnies or Joey? Who can make the weirdest noises, Afghanimals or Luke?

And how many episodes will be delayed because of golf? Answer: All of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Don't forget college basketball next month!

• Locked thread