Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
As a forward, my wife and I took the cat to the vet a week or two ago, and she said she didn't have any concerns about his health - his bladder was fine, etc. So it appears to be a behavior issue as opposed to a medical one.

The situation: one of cats our has been peeing in front of the litter box. It doesn't happen every time, but I would say he's done it 3-4 times a week for the past 2-3 weeks. My wife caught him doing it yesterday, and she said he's physically in the box, but he's facing the back and peeing out the front of the box. We have two boxes, an open one and a dome. Historically, our cats have peed in the dome and pooped in the open box, but all of the floor peeing has taken place in front of the open one. Right now we've just taken to putting a pee pad in front of the box so he's hitting that instead of the tile since the floor is a little slopped and it'll run across the room otherwise.

We've tried a few things. I washed the boxes and mats out completely, which I usually do every month or two. We swapped litter brands, from Tidy Cat Breath Easy to Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal. I realize it's not a big swap, but we've tried more exotic litter like pine or pellets in the past, and both cats refuse to use it if they have access to normal litter. I've considered replacing the open box with another dome, but our other cat seems to prefer the open one so I'm hesitant to try it.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Go buy a big plastic bin with sides that are taller than your cat and leave the lid off.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Crooked Booty posted:

Go buy a big plastic bin with sides that are taller than your cat and leave the lid off.

The sides are taller, but the front lip is lower so they can get in. I don't think I want a box that they have to jump into, especially since the other cat isn't particularly agile.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Edit: I'm an idiot and can't read the OP. I wish you best of luck in getting your cat to aim straight.

CrusherEAGLE fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 4, 2014

Amargith
Nov 7, 2013
This may be a tad late, but your cat either really does not like the fact that the litter box isn't clean enough, or they don't like the litter you're using.

Make sure you clear out the box every day at least once. If that isn't the issue, get yourself some small, 3 dollar litter trays and a couple of litter brands. Go specifically for unscented and sand-like litter - the smaller the pieces, the more it is usually preferred by cats.

It could also be a matter of not wanting to poo and pee in the same box.

Lastly, what *changed* in your house when he started this behaviour? Did you switch the box's place, the litter, did you stop cleaning it, is there another animal that is guarding the box, a new baby, a recent move, what? There must be a reason your cat started to do this now. Find the cause and you'll find your solution.

Lt. Bonerkill
Nov 20, 2010
As other goons have said, cleaning the box every day (or drat close) will help a lot. Another thing to consider is maybe a litter box like this: https://nvrmiss.com/index.php I haven't used one myself, but my vet says that they help.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
I've got one that does this about once a month. Why yours is doing it consistently now, not sure, but yeah some cats are dumb.

A bigger box with a washable litter mat in front for the occasional oopsy or one of those top entry boxes does the trick. My theory about the bigger box is there's more room to turn around in it, so less likely to end up with the back facing out. I have this one awesome box from Target that is great for my 'stand tall' peer, but he still occasionally pees out the door.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

My cat does this. The solution seems to have been putting WAY less litter in the box, and putting down a pee pad in front of the box so it's easier to clean up when it happens.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Karnegal posted:

As a forward, my wife and I took the cat to the vet a week or two ago, and she said she didn't have any concerns about his health - his bladder was fine, etc. So it appears to be a behavior issue as opposed to a medical one.

The situation: one of cats our has been peeing in front of the litter box. It doesn't happen every time, but I would say he's done it 3-4 times a week for the past 2-3 weeks. My wife caught him doing it yesterday, and she said he's physically in the box, but he's facing the back and peeing out the front of the box. We have two boxes, an open one and a dome. Historically, our cats have peed in the dome and pooped in the open box, but all of the floor peeing has taken place in front of the open one. Right now we've just taken to putting a pee pad in front of the box so he's hitting that instead of the tile since the floor is a little slopped and it'll run across the room otherwise.

We've tried a few things. I washed the boxes and mats out completely, which I usually do every month or two. We swapped litter brands, from Tidy Cat Breath Easy to Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal. I realize it's not a big swap, but we've tried more exotic litter like pine or pellets in the past, and both cats refuse to use it if they have access to normal litter. I've considered replacing the open box with another dome, but our other cat seems to prefer the open one so I'm hesitant to try it.

Any thoughts?

You could move the litter box a foot forward. But seriously I just recommend making sure the box is clean as much as possible.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.

Truecon420 posted:

You could move the litter box a foot forward. But seriously I just recommend making sure the box is clean as much as possible.

This. Absolutely. My cat has an issue pooping in front of the boxes. Even sometimes after I've just cleaned and rinsed the boxes. I've scrubbed the carpet with Nature's Miracle after every incident. And nothing seemed to prevent her pooping in that spot.

So I moved the box onto that spot and problem solved. Sure the litter box is kinda out in the floor instead of tucked in the corner where I'd like it, but I don't have to scrub the carpet every 2 days when she decides the floor is better than the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Didn't notice people got back to this. We went back to the vet after continued problems and it turned out he had an infection that they missed when we first took him in because it must have just been starting. He's been through a lot of rounds of antibiotics and some x-rays confirmed that his kidneys were fine and it was an issue of sediment in his bladder. He's switched to an all wet food diet for added moisture, and he's been doing better, though he did have 2 peeing out of the box accidents in the past week after a few weeks of being in the clear. We're keeping an eye on him to see if it's an errant case of if he needs to go back to the vet, but he seems largely better.

• Locked thread