Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=117530

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUm0Lo6DL-E

Nerd:
"As someone who has easily spent over 1000 hours over the last 20 years reading SW EU, this makes me sick. Literally nauseous."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

star wars rhymes with car chores

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hmm is it cOLD in here

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

the EU was as bad as EPS 1-3 so good

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
It's a loving film for fucks sake, get over it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Star Wars died in 1999.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

hmm is it cOLD in here

It wasn't official until today. Well the new direction anyway.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Guess they'll be in a state of fugue for a while

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
haha that rules

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
EU sucks and when EU sucks they just take the good ideas of EU and rework them into existing mainline poo poo.

They've done this with Transformers, X-Men, Masters of The Universe, and a bunch of other poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'd take it if the prequels were also declared non-canon.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
:yotj::yotj::yotj::yotj::yotj:

gonna go burn my Prince Xizor and Mara Jade action figures and get high on the plastic smoke

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I'm really not just being a GBS jerk here, but wtf does any of this mean?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
So basically they released a statement saying "no we will not make movies about your weird rear end fan fiction"?

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
The only good EU material was the Heir to the Empire trilogy. The rest was pretty bad.

Fireless Phoenix
May 4, 2012

by Lowtax
If you think about it, SW is poo poo. Even the original trilogy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
But what of The Star Wars Holiday Special? What of Malla and Lumpy? :ohdear:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ignoarints posted:

I'm really not just being a GBS jerk here, but wtf does any of this mean?

This one fictional story about spaceships is more made-up than the other one. goons adhere to this concept because they/we are nerds with various degrees of self-loathing.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

reallivedinosaur posted:

So basically they released a statement saying "no we will not make movies about your weird rear end fan fiction"?

Pretty much ya. No more Boba Fett being cool.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fireless Phoenix posted:

If you think about it, SW is poo poo. Even the original trilogy.
it was like 50 leaps forward compared to other sci fi movies of the time but millions of people need to stop living in the past or their parents past
its 2014 put on a silver jumpsuit and masturbate to infomercials while eating government dietary paste

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
if theres a universe where carrie fisher is older than 19, and boba fett doesn't use a grenade to escape the sarlaac, i don't want to live in it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

gently caress the ROW posted:

if theres a universe where carrie fisher is older than 19, and boba fett doesn't use a grenade to escape the sarlaac, i don't want to live in it
hahaha nerd you read tales from mos eisley cantina

also

oh poo poo that wasnt in that anthology
now i am the one who is nerd

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Wait... so what exactly is the problem. If I write a hundred books about how Katniss Everdeen becomes a prostitute with a heart of gold who fucks nerds for free and they get popular, why would I ever expect those to be made into a movie? (???) Even if they were really, really good. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess than all star wars fan fiction isnt really really good too.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
someone better mack onto their sister in this latest installment,that poo poo is canon

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

jhorphear posted:

The only good EU material was the Heir to the Empire trilogy. The rest was pretty bad.

The first few Rogue Squadron books were alright too, but yeah for the most part the EU is garbage, a galaxy full of Mary Sues.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
someone post Horse Pilot, Han Solo Punching an Otter, and Lightsaber Knee Man so we can get this thread going tia

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gary oldmans diary posted:

it was like 50 leaps forward compared to other sci fi movies of the time but millions of people need to stop living in the past or their parents past
its 2014 put on a silver jumpsuit and masturbate to infomercials while eating government dietary paste

yeah, avatar is a better movie than 2001: a space odyssey, and hellraiser 4 is so much better than alien

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

rocket_man38 posted:

Pretty much ya. No more Boba Fett being cool.

The mother fucker was air kicked into a sand vagina.
He was never cool.
Apart from the way he held his gun.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Effectronica posted:

yeah, avatar is a better movie than 2001: a space odyssey, and hellraiser 4 is so much better than alien

Alien came after Star Wars and was partially greenlit due to its success???

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

hahaha nerd you read tales from mos eisley cantina

also

oh poo poo that wasnt in that anthology
now i am the one who is nerd

i did actually read that though, a long time ago :D

Fireless Phoenix
May 4, 2012

by Lowtax

ok i don't mean to start a derail and i dont read the massive SW threads that pop up here from time to time so forgive me if people have had this convo before... but SW has always struck me as a fantasy story set in space, not at all sci fi. I agree w/ you about nostalgia though. The SW films were great for their time and are still p good movies/stories. But the world-building aspect of the trilogy i.e. the part that nerds loving love and have for 4 decades now, is utter poo poo.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Effectronica posted:

the expendables was better

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This means Boba Fett stays in the Sarrlacc right? Cause that's going to enrage millions of nerds.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Fireless Phoenix posted:

ok i don't mean to start a derail and i dont read the massive SW threads that pop up here from time to time so forgive me if people have had this convo before... but SW has always struck me as a fantasy story set in space. I agree w/ you about nostalgia though. The SW films were great for their time and are still p good movies/stories. But the world-building aspect of the trilogy i.e. the part that nerds loving love and have for 4 decades now, is utter poo poo.

I've heard it described as a cowboy story set in space which is more accurate imo

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Piedmon Sama posted:

someone post Horse Pilot, Han Solo Punching an Otter, and Lightsaber Knee Man so we can get this thread going tia

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

I've heard it described as a cowboy story set in space which is more accurate imo

it is to The Hidden Fortress as Magnificent Seven is to Seven Samurai :drugnerd:

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
in the end luke skyewalker wakes up in his mommys house in lexington and it was all just a dream

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Well poo poo they're also getting rid of Gungans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Effectronica posted:

that is definitely what to take away from what i said yes

i did actually read that though, a long time ago :D
goddamn it i couldve mocked you with erroneous details scot free

next time

• Locked thread