Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I was hoping they had reshot the entire film and would include it as a bluray extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

exquisite tea posted:

The ending montage wasn't really for fans of the Room, it was to show the likely majority of cinema goes who have never seen The Room that it was a thing that actually existed, recreated with impeccable attention to detail.

I agree with this but I think that could've been achieved by just playing clips from the original movie alongside the credits. Make them all clips that we'd seen during the film so the audience gets what they did. Seeing them side by side only highlighted the times that the recreation wasn't that perfect. It just just kind of awkward to watch and the person who I went with knew nothing about The Room and didn't understand the point of doing it the way they did.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Breadallelogram posted:

I was hoping they had reshot the entire film and would include it as a bluray extra.

Same. It wouldn't have cost that much, surely.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

MisterBibs posted:

At least 5 Million Smackers

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MisterBibs posted:

Think of the money they could save by actually filming on the roof and in the alleyway of the building they can film on and around instead of creating sets of an alleyway and rooftop within an alleyway.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Neo Rasa posted:

Think of the money they could save by actually filming on the roof and in the alleyway of the building they can film on and around instead of creating sets of an alleyway and rooftop within an alleyway.

Yeah but then it's not like real Hollywood movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah but then it's not like real Hollywood movie.

No Mickey Mouse stuff.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Jesus Christ, Tommy Wiseau is on stage at the golden globes.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Tommy is on stage at the Golden Globes, this is madness.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just one more second and he would have even gotten to speak at the Golden Globes!

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

https://twitter.com/TheJordanRoss/status/950188679670259716

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
MIRACLES DO HAPPEN~!!!!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hell yeah!! So proud of Tommy!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Snatching away what easily would have been the moment of the night. For shame, Franco.

It's not like you're not making millions off of laughing at a rube.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's beautiful, man! Greg looked moved when they cut to him in the crowd too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's funny in context too. Franco has this speech ready to go, which he wrote on his phone (lol) and Tommy comes up to sneak snatch the mic after the hug.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Saw Disaster Artist finally today. I liked the movie but I have to agree that it does feel fairly sanitized compared to the book. Wasn't a fan of some of the handheld camerawork either- some of that legit looked worse than The Room itself did.

Still, I had fun with the movie. James and Dave both were great as Tommy and Greg. I'm glad Tommy himself got to be onstage at the Golden Globes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Saw the movie, I had read the spoilers on wikipedia already also. They changed alot and squished so much of the book together. The only thing that really strikes me as weird is they totally leave out how Tommy bought Greg a car to be in The Room. There also wasn't some fight between Tommy and Greg during the end of the shooting either.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 9, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes that tends to happen with an adaptation

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Unfortunately there's no way we would've gotten awesome moments like Tommy trying to steal the mic if he was portrayed as the villain he is, rather than just a misunderstood "artist" with boundary issues they seem to have put in the movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

We don't even know how much of the book was dramatized/true. I just view both as loose adaptations of how the movie was made, and wasn't necessarily looking for a 1-1 match (in fact, I forgot most of the book before watching the movie).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I started watching Seinfeld's Comedians Getting Coffee show on Netflix and in the episode with Howard Stern, Stern only orders a cup of hot water to drink at the restaurant. Tommy is in good company!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I think tommy has a legit brain injury

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'd legit be surprised if he didn't

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Pretend I have a gif of the scene where Tommy leans back in his chair suspiciously and says "What makes you say that?"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Unless he inherited all his money he had have gotten real hosed up at some point. I don't believe that could accumulate wealth like that even through illicit means in the state we all know.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The theory I most believe in is that he was not just in a car accident but possibly in one before he was a legal adult and that the massive payout came from that was extremely well managed by whoever was maintaining Tommy's money in the meantime.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why is it so hard to believe that he just made his money from real estate. Its not like its outrageously complicated to flip property or collect overpriced rent in a city like SF

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

MiddleOne posted:

Okja? Get Out? The Big Sick? Baby Driver*? :shrug:

good, really good, bad, mediocre

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Big Sick is loving great.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I went and saw the Room tonight at the theater. There was just this guy who would not shut up. Like everyone's doing the spoon thing, the focus, cheering the bridge on all the stuff I've experienced before but this one guy would not shut the gently caress up. None of his jokes were funny. It was nice seeing it on the big screen again though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Where did you see it?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was wondering that. Like if you went and saw The Room at an AMC or Regal theater or something, did people still do the spoon throwing and stuff? The only theater I've been to where that's happened was a single screen local theater. I remember when I saw The Room with Rifftrax at an AMC, no one did anything like that and the crowd was full too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone threw spoons and everything.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

CelticPredator posted:

The Big Sick is loving great.

what was your favorite part? mine was the leaden, poorly written early scenes that didn't establish the central relationship as warm or interesting or even worth maintaining after the mildest of disagreements, much less the life-shattering stuff in the movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I enjoyed the whole film and it was wonderful

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

CelticPredator posted:

I enjoyed the whole film and it was wonderful

OK.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

R. Guyovich posted:

what was your favorite part? mine was the leaden, poorly written early scenes that didn't establish the central relationship as warm or interesting or even worth maintaining after the mildest of disagreements, much less the life-shattering stuff in the movie

I bought the relationship at the beginning, but not at the end. I didn't really know much about the real life events so I thought the message was going to be 'using nice guy tropes and sitting by her bedside doesn't mean poo poo if the relationship itself doesn't work'.

I go into all rom coms hoping the insufferable leads don't end up together though.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I go into all rom coms hoping the insufferable leads don't end up together though.

How does that usually work out for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Steve2911 posted:

I bought the relationship at the beginning, but not at the end. I didn't really know much about the real life events so I thought the message was going to be 'using nice guy tropes and sitting by her bedside doesn't mean poo poo if the relationship itself doesn't work'.

i mean the problem wasn't really the individual characters themselves, though emily was a little underwritten. it just seemed like a really hard turn from the initial scenes to the arranged marriage discovery/breakup when those first scenes didn't do enough to give us a reason to want their relationship to work. not so much that we needed more but that what was there needed to be better. they shared empty snark, 00s-10s ironic detachment and there wasn't anything tender

• Locked thread