Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Akuma no Riddle is the tale of a young assassin named Tokaku Azuma who's sent into a classroom filled with other assassins, all of whom are assigned to kill the only non-assassin in their class, super naive moe-filled Haru Ichinose, and whoever succeeds gets a wish of theirs granted.

The catch? Haru makes Tokaku realize her latent lesbianism.

This is probably one of the more fun shows of the season, if anything. It's formulaic as all hell with every episode all 'this week Azuma faces off this assassin who uses this gimmick to kill people', but there's some solid characterization and intrigue going on. It's probably not going to win any awards for originality or literary merit, but it's pretty entertaining regardless.

e: and goddamn it how did I forget the tag again, ugh, I am well deserving of my stupid newbie moniker o.o

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You do know it's possible for a girl to have a close relationship with another girl and have it not be yuri, right?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ViggyNash posted:

You do know it's possible for a girl to have a close relationship with another girl and have it not be yuri, right?

I mean, lots of things are possible. Every source around has been saying that this is a lesbian show and it's pretty obvious right away that this is the case. Don't they have a loving naked embrace in the opening? I know that's kinda an anime fanbait trope but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They almost literally re-enact Romeo & Juliet in the latest episode, I think that goes beyond subtext.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

They almost literally re-enact Romeo & Juliet in the latest episode, I think that goes beyond subtext.

Having watched it now... my opinion didn't change much. The Romeo and Juliet theme was very obviously about Hitsugi and Kirigaya, the love that could not be (holy poo poo, this episode was amazing).

I honestly don't see their relationship as yuri. Yes, girl A wants to protect girl B, and they are friends, but I don't see it as an intimate, lovers' relationship. Girl B just wants to make friends and not die, and girl A wants her only friend to not die as well.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Having watched it now... my opinion didn't change much. The Romeo and Juliet theme was very obviously about Hitsugi and Kirigaya, the love that could not be (holy poo poo, this episode was amazing).

I honestly don't see their relationship as yuri. Yes, girl A wants to protect girl B, and they are friends, but I don't see it as an intimate, lovers' relationship. Girl B just wants to make friends and not die, and girl A wants her only friend to not die as well.

Yeah it certainly isn't there yet, but it's not that far of a leap to think it might get there. I mean, have you seen Utena?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Again, naked hugs in the OP. That doesn't exactly scream heterosexuality.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
This anime keeps going above my expectations. I really like how the ED changes each episode for each of the assassin's. It actually gives me a reason to mostly not skip it. I wonder who is next?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ViggyNash posted:

Having watched it now... my opinion didn't change much.

She literally princess carries Haru off stage and sword-fights for her honorlife. This episode could have been ripped straight from an Utena script.

They don't have to be sucking each others faces off Sakura Trick style to be attracted to each other.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Yeah it certainly isn't there yet, but it's not that far of a leap to think it might get there. I mean, have you seen Utena?

Yea, and entirely unlike Akuma, it layered it on thick pretty much every episode.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Redcrimson posted:

They don't have to be sucking each others faces off Sakura Trick style to be attracted to each other.

On the other hand, not a single person ended up confused or willing to debate what was happening in that show. :v:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Yea, and entirely unlike Akuma, it layered it on thick pretty much every episode.

I'd argue that point but I think I'll leave it at that. I don't think you're totally wrong-headed or anything, I just disagree. It's possible it'll never go beyond the current level. Wouldn't be the biggest surprise ever.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I'd argue that point but I think I'll leave it at that. I don't think you're totally wrong-headed or anything, I just disagree. It's possible it'll never go beyond the current level. Wouldn't be the biggest surprise ever.

I'll agree to disagree for now. Someone earlier mentioned the whole naked hugging in the OP so maybe that's the angle they're trying to play, but to me that had more of an air of her being protective than loving.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/461638028960600064

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It seems to be a sort of "if you want it to be" type of thing. As in the subtext is there, but not necessarily explicit, so you can decide for yourself how you want to interpret it.
Personally, I see it more as close friends, but it could really go either way.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

AnoHito posted:

Personally, I see it more as close friends, but it could really go either way.

I mean I think it'll likely end up more explicit but I still wouldn't argue with that. I don't think they're secret making out or anything, maybe not even aware of any possible romantic feelings, I mean they're both pretty emotionally fuckered. Hell, Azuma can barely figure out how she feels about herself.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

to me that had more of an air of her being protective than loving.

Keep in mind that protecting has a very masculine connotation in Japan, and a man saying that they want to protect a woman often (but not always) implies romantic feelings for them in anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lesbianism discussion aside, the last episode was pretty fantastic and the ending really caught me off guard, especially considering how coy they've been about people actually dying so far.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
For all the poo poo I give Akuma no Riddle for being really trashy (and fun because of it), episode six was legitimately a really good episode (outside of yet another dumb bath scene, at least).

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

jonjonaug posted:

(outside of yet another dumb bath scene, at least).

I dunno, I thought the drooping leaf was hilarious. The whole show seems to be made with a campy self-aware wink to the audience. The fact that it's remained mostly melodramatic and silly, instead of devolving into brooding angsty grimdark is pretty much the only reason I'm still watching it.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
This is pretty much the only anime that I'm seriously watching aside from Jojo. I have no idea why, but it feels like the love child of Mirai Nikki(silly/dumb people trying to kill each other for some sort of power) and Dangan Ronpa (High-school setting/ murders with rules) except it's a hell of a lot tamer and dashed with a pinch of Utena.

While I mostly agree that episode 6 was pretty good, I feel kinda miffed that Shiena AKA Glasses Girl was killed? off so suddenly so we won't get to see her gimmick at all. I know that we have maybe? 12 episode but still.

At any rate, I'd suggest the OP to give us the profiles of all of the characters that we have met or at least of the students.
Also whether they are still in the Black Class and what their gimmick is. And I'm pretty sure there's a manga so you might wanna add that there should be uh.. spoiler rules or something in regards to that.

Also on the lesbian stuff, so far not much has happened that we can classify the main characters as "in love" with each other. For now they are simply friends.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GodofDiscord posted:

While I mostly agree that episode 6 was pretty good, I feel kinda miffed that Shiena AKA Glasses Girl was killed? off so suddenly so we won't get to see her gimmick at all. I know that we have maybe? 12 episode but still.

She's not dead, they said explicitly said she was in hospital recovering, but she is out of the running because she already presented her warning card so the time limit is expired. They're definitely rushing to cram it all in the episode count though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

She's not dead, they said explicitly said she was in hospital recovering, but she is out of the running because she already presented her warning card so the time limit is expired. They're definitely rushing to cram it all in the episode count though.

I felt like they implied one or two of the previous failed assassins got killed after they failed... but it wasn't clear-cut, and it could have been a special situation.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It would've been an assassin an episode if it was 13 total episodes and they didn't deviate much from the formula, but with this episode itself that's 3 out for the count, leaving 2 extra episodes to do something with. I don't think there's any rush at all.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

ViggyNash posted:

It would've been an assassin an episode if it was 13 total episodes and they didn't deviate much from the formula, but with this episode itself that's 3 out for the count, leaving 2 extra episodes to do something with. I don't think there's any rush at all.

From what I have read, it is only going to be 12 episodes, so they will only have 1 extra episode. Maybe they'll have that one lady who is always sitting in her chair throne 2 episodes?

Who knows? But I am really liking this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ViggyNash posted:

I guess they're not really rushing since there's only 20 manga chapters (as far as I can tell), so everything after halfway through episode five is anime original anyway. Maybe that's why episode 6 was a marked improvement. :v:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess they're not really rushing since there's only 20 manga chapters (as far as I can tell), so everything after halfway through episode five is anime original anyway. Maybe that's why episode 6 was a marked improvement. :v:

Holy poo poo, it can only get better from her. I'm seriously starting to anticipate this show as much as Jojo and Mushihi now.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

XboxPants posted:

I felt like they implied one or two of the previous failed assassins got killed after they failed... but it wasn't clear-cut, and it could have been a special situation.

The serial killer's almost assuredly dead, or at least has met some unpleasant fate. It's a lot more ambiguous for the other two girls.

Anyway, holy crap this episode was amazing. I'm sad that Chitaru got offed, though, she was probably my favorite of all the assassins. My other favorite was the one who got written out last episode, so I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed. :v:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Akuma no Riddle - A show about two Good Friends

It's decent fun though. I enjoy the little gimmicks even if it's shallow as h*ck.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
New episode out. What was that about this not being a yuri show again?

O an unrelated note, it's nice to see the cast pointing out that the Black Class must have an ulterior motive, because it's an incredibly inefficient way to kill someone.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...Oh wow, there's only 6 left now? That actually went kinda fast...though episode 6 did get rid of 3 at once.

I do quite expect Shiena to come back in some way, though, it seems a bit wasteful to have her dispatched so suddenly without revealing anything about her. Plus...well, for ending songs, we have six episodes left, but only four class members that haven't gotten an ED yet. Given the PV, I'm expecting Mahiru to be the focus of the next one, though.

And yes, this did get a bit more yurious.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I wish there were more swimsuit episodes that turned into bomb defusal episodes. Also nice to see yuri that wasn't just blatant subtext, even if it was an air-sharing kiss (plus blushing).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, even I can't deny that one.

That was a rather strange episode. Not bad, but strange.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Anyone else think their idiot teacher is sandbagging it here?

I really hope he's a villain of some sort. Although, what the gently caress was his get-up all about at the pool?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I watched the first four eps and I continuously felt more and more sorry for the teacher. Poor guy just wants to teach.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the teacher is just straight up a nice, kinda goofy dude.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

After reading a short synopsis, this is a ridiculously dumb anime with a plot essentially designed by a manga artist to end up as a tv show, with some flashy lesbianism to boot. The least offensive of the new crop I've come across here but doubtless it shouldn't be talked about

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Anyone else think their idiot teacher is sandbagging it here?

I really hope he's a villain of some sort. Although, what the gently caress was his get-up all about at the pool?

Standard silly Birthday gear.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Heh. A swimsuit episode with the bad kind of bombshells. It's not quite Jojo's levels of campy insanity, but it's still pretty hard to be mad at this show. Definitely a lot of unnecessary focus on Tokaku's rear end in this episode though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Redcrimson posted:

It's not quite Jojo's levels of campy insanity, but it's still pretty hard to be mad at this show. Definitely a lot of unnecessary focus on Tokaku's rear end in this episode though...

Agreeing on both these points. That said, I've never seen a show that had more than one swimsuit episode, so we're past the worst, I hope. But yeah, this is a pretty good fluff show to watch.

• Locked thread