Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
it will be weird when those kids grow up and find out that there parents have publicly shared all their dumb childhood years for everyone to see. tbqh i don't think i'd be so pumped if i reached adolescence and found out that there were all these pictures and videos of me growing up that everyone has been looking at and commenting on. it seems like it might be an issue for the next generation and i wonder if maybe there will be lawsuits filed by some angry teenagers. or something i don't know how it works but it seems like a moral gray area if you ask me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Oh no someone might see you

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Norton posted:

Oh no someone might see you

thats bad for everyone else though, not him

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
sorry your parents werent proud of you op

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi
poo poo rear end

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

i would consider privately shared albums with family members, but would not give my children a social media presence without their permission. they will get full religion and circumcisions, however.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

null sheen chummer

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
a good number of kids have an online presence even before they are born with those ultrasound pics.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
like kimye i wouldn't ever do this, i just dont think its right

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
op i guess you arent familiar with the current generation of 13-early 20 year olds who relish in having the most menial and no-one-cares poo poo posted about them for the public to possibly affirm their existence by incrementing a database variable

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
^e: yeah that's a problem to, I think even among peers my age (25) we felt the pressure when in high school and college to prove our social value through our social media accounts. Doesn't really seem to be a thing after college but I know during some people commented it was kinda weird I never really used my facebook other than as a chat client and a way to get ahold of me after meeting me. I maybe upload a couple pictures after major events like birthdays or something but I didn't document my every weekend or anything.

baw posted:

it will be weird when those kids grow up and find out that there parents have publicly shared all their dumb childhood years for everyone to see. tbqh i don't think i'd be so pumped if i reached adolescence and found out that there were all these pictures and videos of me growing up that everyone has been looking at and commenting on. it seems like it might be an issue for the next generation and i wonder if maybe there will be lawsuits filed by some angry teenagers. or something i don't know how it works but it seems like a moral gray area if you ask me
Is it really that much different from your mom showing everybody embarrassing photo albums of you? It's not like people are putting naked baby pictures online they usually just tend to be "here's my baby making a face probably caused by discomfort from gas" or for more toddler aged children "here's my niece dancing goofy at a family barbecue". I'm doubtful these pictures will haunt anyone, where social media really screws things up is when you get young kids old enough to use the internet but naive enough to not realize that that poo poo will follow them around forever and then they post things that could prevent them from holding a public position if it got dragged up later.

There's also those kids that tweeted bomb threats because they didn't realize they'd be taken seriously. You really should be like 18 before you have social media accounts that aren't like school specific or something.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 3, 2014

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i take pride in the fact that if i was ever wanted by the law for big time crimes the news would be showing pictures of me completely plastered because that's all they would have to work with...naturally a lot of people would relate to this and think i wasn't so bad after all. but the gov having pictures/info of its citizens from cradle to the grave is super creepy, i guess no need for implanting chips into newborns anymore!

I understand the desire to use the conveinence of the internet to share pictures of your child with family and friends but at least take some quality pictures show the ones off that flatter the baby's appearance, and host them on a decent hosting site like smugmug or something and just put a link up on facebook. At least just make ur FB profile private so internet weirdos can't creep on your baby pictures and save them to their spank bank or make plans to abuse/kidnap ur child... jfc people

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 3, 2014

cruft
Oct 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ArbitraryC posted:

^e: yeah that's a problem to, I think even among peers my age (25) we felt the pressure when in high school and college to prove our social value through our social media accounts. Doesn't really seem to be a thing after college but I know during some people commented it was kinda weird I never really used my facebook other than as a chat client and a way to get ahold of me after meeting me. I maybe upload a couple pictures after major events like birthdays or something but I didn't document my every weekend or anything.

I would like you and everyone else in your peer group to know that the only thing new about what you just described is that it's happening on Facebook. I went through high school before people knew what the Internet was and the same dumb poo poo happened. Kids are horrible monsters and sometime around the legal drinking age most people snap out of it.

Please feel free to join us in laughing as The Lord Of The Flies plays out again and again, year after year, in middle and high schools across the planet.

E: vvvvv that too.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 3, 2014

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

baw posted:

it will be weird when those kids grow up and find out that there parents have publicly shared all their dumb childhood years for everyone to see.

That's every child ever since the invention of cameras. Facebook just made it easier.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
parents are literally starting at the ultrasound nowadays

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Parents with baby profile pics being openly racist.

That's one racist babby

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
this isnt the same poo poo as kids growing up unless your parents kept an easily accessable archive of all your lifes events that will be available to everyone forever

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
actually they woudl have grown up with it so it wont be weird for them at all soz

they will think it really weird that people from our generation have so few baby/kid pictures

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
who cares lmao you're a huge human being if you give a poo poo about something like this haha

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

it won't be a problem because everyone will have moved on from Facebook by then and you will only find that poo poo on internet archives if anywhere.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

gently caress the kids

not you Aatrek, calm down

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hayburner posted:

poo poo rear end

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Is that how they're born?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

it's his job to catch the next one

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I love how it took teachers, parents and school administrators like 3 years to catch on to the whole "kids are posting drinking and gently caress pics on the internet!"

My girlfriend's mom actually talks about what her little sister's friends post on Facebook. Before I graduated, you could pretty much be like "Hey everyone. Here's a picture of me smoking a bong with a beer in my other hand and my dick out! gently caress cname girlfriend's whore mother, she's a sodding oval office!" and not hear a thing about it from anyone other than your friends.

Cyber bullying, sexting, sending naked pics, all that was "underground" while I was a junior/senior. The internet was the wild west.

Must suck to be young, now a days.

"Parents figured out the internet" has turned parents into proto-children who attempt to intervene and dictate playground rules. It's creepy as poo poo to hear parents judge their kid's friend for something he or she tweeted. It's kinda like if a mom were to run out on the football field, because someone tackled her son a little too hard, for her liking.

I seriously hope my generation is privy to Y2K style internet cruzing. I hope that when we have kids, we can back off and be like "Ok, we had the internet when we were young. Let's let kids have the internet back!" and gently caress off. I'd hate to ever have to check up on my kid's facebook page or some poo poo, but I know since other parents are and will be doing it, I'll also have to. :smith:

cname fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 3, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R2IJFCUBFs

This but instead of Ed Harris it's Mark Zuckerberg and the NSA.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's funny when I'm working at a high school cause kids think they can text and they're being really sneaky about it

I know man, I had a cell phone in high school. I'm not your 40 year old teacher.

Also the most sobering thing is realizing that teachers literally heard every curse word and slur and gossip you ever said in the classroom but just ignored it.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
Op is upset xhe can only poke them virtually

Also jesus christ there's a lot of words in this thread

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Thats it, I'm deleting all my friends and family pictures to show how much i love them.

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.

FogHelmut posted:

i would consider privately shared albums with family members, but would not give my children a social media presence without their permission. they will get full religion and circumcisions, however.

Male/Female genital mutilation is hosed up. You disgust me.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

cname posted:

I love how it took teachers, parents and school administrators like 3 years to catch on to the whole "kids are posting drinking and gently caress pics on the internet!"

My girlfriend's mom actually talks about what her little sister's friends post on Facebook. Before I graduated, you could pretty much be like "Hey everyone. Here's a picture of me smoking a bong with a beer in my other hand and my dick out! gently caress cname girlfriend's whore mother, she's a sodding oval office!" and not hear a thing about it from anyone other than your friends.

Cyber bullying, sexting, sending naked pics, all that was "underground" while I was a junior/senior. The internet was the wild west.

Must suck to be young, now a days.

"Parents figured out the internet" has turned parents into proto-children who attempt to intervene and dictate playground rules. It's creepy as poo poo to hear parents judge their kid's friend for something he or she tweeted. It's kinda like if a mom were to run out on the football field, because someone tackled her son a little too hard, for her liking.

I seriously hope my generation is privy to Y2K style internet cruzing. I hope that when we have kids, we can back off and be like "Ok, we had the internet when we were young. Let's let kids have the internet back!" and gently caress off. I'd hate to ever have to check up on my kid's facebook page or some poo poo, but I know since other parents are and will be doing it, I'll also have to. :smith:

I miss those days...you really have to put the filter on FB big time these days because most people friend everyone they've ever met (and their parents/extended family as well) and never really weed out people who they haven't seen irl in over a year or two. All it is to me now is just a way to casually follow what some friends/things you are interested in are up to, see how hosed up/busted/retarded/overly serious people you went to HS with are, event/party invitations, and a lazy way to share phone pictures/stupid internet poo poo (of course poo poo that isn't too risque/non-pc - no posting Star Wars 9/11 mashup gifs these days unless you want to rile up ur friend's grandma or overly sensitive person that said friend lived down the hall from sophomore year of college you you've never even met). i still have an active acct but i really havent really regularly contributed to it in years. these wonderful forums allow me to satisfy that itch of acting a fool on the internet like back in the day without alienating friends/family (i mean supposedly you can't even say 'human being' ironically or not on FB anymore) on public record under the watchful eye of the SJW thoughtpolice and the NSA for the low, low one time fee of :10bux: Thanks SA. :)

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
when I have children, theyre going to be young for a while and then die later on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm the best friend posting "So cute!" on every single picture even if it's hosed up and gross like an ultrasound or the baby came out with a full head of hair.

• Locked thread