Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

video game stories own and are what i play games for 90% of the time *does a cool flip on my skateboard and rides out of this thread*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

You no longer have skin in the game. You find yourself relaxing when it switches to this mode. You’re relaxing during the climax! What’s supposed to be the most intense part of a game is now the moment for your to ease your muscles and take a breath of relief. The game wasted a hard-earned emotional buildup in the name of being more “cinematic”!

Every time the game switches from gameplay mode to movie mode, your attachment to the player character switches from 100% emotionally invested, to 100% detached. That’s pure, jarring, dissonance right there.

*switches from farting to scratching my rear end, causing emotional dissonance*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

citizen kane's a movie that's like 90% cinematography and video games journalism has told me that citizen kane is the best movie ever made

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I've never heard of this. Can you provide any examples?

Literature, in its broadest sense, is any written work; etymologically the term derives from Latin literatura/litteratura "writing formed with letters", although some definitions include spoken or sung texts. More restrictively, it is writing that possesses literary merit, and language that foregrounds literariness, as opposed to ordinary language. Literature can be classified according to whether it is fiction or non-fiction, and whether it is poetry or prose; it can be further distinguished according to major forms such as the novel, short story or drama; and works are often categorised according to historical periods, or according to their adherence to certain aesthetic features or expectations (genre).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Game of Thrones and Mass Effect are so bad i would actually prefer anime. at least anime has some pretty great art and music a lot of the time
and also have ownage stories and characters because anime loving rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roger Tangerines posted:

so you think The Last Of Us is a melodrama?
personally, I think The Last Of Us is a bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is it fascism yet posted:

im running out of feels meme pictures to post as replies to your posts so pretend i posted a funny feels face.
like this one?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meow Tse-tung posted:

What about video games that are based on animes? Are they even better than gone home or mass effect?
the greatest game of all time is dragon ball z budokai 3 so yes

yes they are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like video game stories. sometimes i laugh at video game stories. also sometimes i cry. i cried like a big dumb baby at the end of kingdom hearts. when you walk away, you don't hear me say, please, oh baby, don't go.

please continue with the next line of simple and clean, because i know everyone in this thread knows the lyrics

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

requesting ban for slur, please

for real though maybe five people total will bother actually clicking on that or even realize it's a link, and you just made a dumb thread about video game writing, it's not like you're a literal rapist or anything. nobody's going to kick you out of the treehouse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

Unironically yes.
My personal favorite is when games have Luck stats because it's literally always slanted towards characterization (happy-go-lucky girl has high luck, depressed guy with tragic backstory has poo poo luck) rather than any sense of gameplay balance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

posting doesnt have a failure state

(yes it does, and im in it)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

please get every mod and admin to ban roger tangerines

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's an important question to ask yourself if you're trying to figure out whether or not something is a game: who the gently caress cares

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'is gone home a video game?'
'will you ever get laid?'
'the answer to both these questions is no!!!!!!!'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also true

also the best celebrity voice actor is whoever voiced ansem in the first kingdom hearts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dan mcneely did voice acting for dust: an elysium tail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Babyface Mingo posted:

I'm happy that me making GBS threads up this thread as the first post caused this dude to realize how loving stupid his thread is and that he selfbanned like a bitch. :D
This misconception is older than Grandma's toaster.

• Locked thread