Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm talking about artists like Hardwell, Guetta, Garrix, Showtek etc

I see the electro/house thread and it's just a bunch of posts about some hipster poo poo and songs I've never heard about.

Does it go into the not-so popular pop thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=25

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

gas chamber challenge.

op you should post about it in this thread. those guys are pretty weak tho you gotta go deeper bruv

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Sorry to like festival music, big room, trap, the poo poo you immediately dismiss as "loving brostep dude," please make sure there is no place for it to be discussed, a thread you don't have to visit, because of "MY UNDERGROUND!"

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I clicked this in looking for a trap thread. Of course goons are gonna hate bigroom/trap/etc.

Yet they un-ironically seem to enjoy industrial. :lol:

cname fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 7, 2014

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I talked to Het about this a while ago and he seemed pretty dismissive of the idea. I think the prevailing notion is you can talk about that pedestrian poo poo anywhere so amongst the musical elite upper echelons of the Something Awful Music Fiverum one should demonstrate more refined taste.

Frankly as cunty as this attitude is I can kind of see why. It's not hard to find the latest Hardwell track but a big part of what makes the tech house and house threads worthwhile is there are nerds trawling tiny soundclouds and blogs and presenting you with lesser known tracks that wouldn't otherwise get much exposure.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
The "DANCE MUSIC ELITE" mentality is pretty funny because somehow stealing a sample from a 70s disco track and putting it over a 909 beat for 8 minutes is met with nods of approval but an incredibly complicated and technical beatdown by someone like Kursa or Duskky is met with derision. Whatever man, if you can't get down to a Skrillex show one night and the next night a Silkie set in a hole in the wall bar, I definitely wouldn't want to party with you in general. Cause that's all it really is at the end of the day.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

dk2m posted:

The "DANCE MUSIC ELITE" mentality is pretty funny because somehow stealing a sample from a 70s disco track and putting it over a 909 beat for 8 minutes is met with nods of approval but an incredibly complicated and technical beatdown by someone like Kursa or Duskky is met with derision. Whatever man, if you can't get down to a Skrillex show one night and the next night a Silkie set in a hole in the wall bar, I definitely wouldn't want to party with you in general. Cause that's all it really is at the end of the day.

This is fantastic and too true. I have no desire to see Hardwell anymore. He's part of a different community, but when I did see him, he was doing the 2012 bootleg pack, which was awesome. I seriously wish that album was the standard for big room dance music.

I'd also consider a few songs by Ferry Corsten to be part of the big room "EDM" style genre, specifically gently caress the Bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvO0DLrcJ3o

Steph - Phobia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeOhxWg7BMA

I hate Animals and the Selfie song as much as the next techno fan, but dismissing big room EDM style music as a whole is just silly. There are a few gems. Plus, you can't deny that Tiesto has gone full-blown festival mode.

OP, just change the thread title to "Big room BOOM: Got any mollies?" edit the OP to include a description with some examples and turn this poo poo into the commercial big-room dance music thread. gently caress the haters.

cname fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 8, 2014

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
no love for avicii op? calvin harris?!?!?! when i met u in da summer...

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
is this finally the thread where i can talk about nitzer ebb

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
sorry i misread the title

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
This forum is really unabashedly bad and Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech and every time someone says Porter Robinson I get mistakenly excited because I think Porter Ricks and I'm not sure what Carl FTWinslow is talking about, which realistically means many hours of sober and contemplative blog-watching to catch up to even this meagre veg pop-punk helldump refugee (<3) and frankly I'm tired, fam

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sharzak posted:

I talked to Het about this a while ago and he seemed pretty dismissive of the idea. I think the prevailing notion is you can talk about that pedestrian poo poo anywhere so amongst the musical elite upper echelons of the Something Awful Music Fiverum one should demonstrate more refined taste.

Yeah that sure sounds like something ole Het would say.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

MPLS to NOLA posted:

This forum is really unabashedly bad and Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech and every time someone says Porter Robinson I get mistakenly excited because I think Porter Ricks and I'm not sure what Carl FTWinslow is talking about, which realistically means many hours of sober and contemplative blog-watching to catch up to even this meagre veg pop-punk helldump refugee (<3) and frankly I'm tired, fam

i was trying to talk about nitzer ebb but there's never been a place in No Music Discussion to talk about nitzer ebb so i'll resume my fate to endlessly wander the digital desert in search of a home.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i got owned really bad in helldump that's definitely true

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

No you are right this should be an EBM thread in fact I'm gonna go listen to the Angels Versus Animals remix album of 90's F242 stuff well bye

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sharzak posted:

Frankly as cunty as this attitude is I can kind of see why. It's not hard to find the latest Hardwell track but a big part of what makes the tech house and house threads worthwhile is there are nerds trawling tiny soundclouds and blogs and presenting you with lesser known tracks that wouldn't otherwise get much exposure.
I didn't make this clear enough in my PM, but you were free to post a thread specifically for this sort of thing, but your proposal seemed to be a broader electronic music thread that was more inclusive, and I didn't (and still don't) think that's a good idea. Something specifically for "EDM" in the sense of the music the OP is talking about would be fine. To be clear, I think that music is largely bad and the thread would not be good, but I'm definitely not saying people can't talk about music I think is bad; after all, there is a metalcore thread.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

dk2m posted:

Dude you finally cracked the music criticism code! More notes = better than. poo poo, we don't even have to listen to music anymore, just run a notes/minute analyzer over it and get a handy numerical score. Efficent!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm too old to listen to dance music two nights in a row, sorry.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I thought the house/electro thread was basically that. It was rapidly heading in that direction when I stopped looking at it anyway.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

cubicle gangster posted:

I thought the house/electro thread was basically that. It was rapidly heading in that direction when I stopped looking at it anyway.

This is the thread for tunes that are so bad that they even get laughed out of that one.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011

Maguro posted:

This is the thread for tunes that are so bad that they even get laughed out of that one.

"Dmitri Vegas & Like Mike MEGATHREAD"

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
where do i post gabber?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yo, Imma let you finish, but Nicky Romero at Ultra 2013 had one of the best sets of all time.

(for real, I love that set)

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I honestly wouldn't mind a seperate EDM/Bighousewhatever thread from the other electronic threads considering how big edm has been exploding in popularity.

Most of you goon hipsters might not like it but there's a few good gems which come out from the bigger artists :shrug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Imapanda posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind a seperate EDM/Bighousewhatever thread from the other electronic threads considering how big edm has been exploding in popularity.

Most of you goon hipsters might not like it but there's a few good gems which come out from the bigger artists :shrug:
Avicii hasn't done anything good since Levels. Discuss.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Like food, tastes in music are personal.

An EDM thread would be great because I'm bad at finding new music and the 4 electronic music threads are echo chambers without much variety.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Josh Lyman posted:

Avicii hasn't done anything good since Levels. Discuss.

No need to. It isn't even a question up for debate.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Imapanda posted:

An EDM thread would be great because I'm bad at finding new music and the 4 electronic music threads are echo chambers without much variety.
As I said above, anyone is free to post a thread about this, and it would be preferable to this stupid whining. Just please limit the stupid lovely meta stuff about "hipsters" and keep it about the music.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Imapanda posted:

...you want variety and want to find it in EDM? :aaaaa:

I kid, a little. I still don't understand what EDM is actually defined as considering dance music has incorporated electronics since the 70s. Someone feel free to explain here because I'm genuinely puzzled. It just seems like a massive catchall description for dance music when prior to that, dance music was said description.

okkie
Oct 3, 2005

play nothing

88h88 posted:

...you want variety and want to find it in EDM? :aaaaa:

I kid, a little. I still don't understand what EDM is actually defined as considering dance music has incorporated electronics since the 70s. Someone feel free to explain here because I'm genuinely puzzled. It just seems like a massive catchall description for dance music when prior to that, dance music was said description.

This is EDM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bznxx12Ptl0

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

88h88 posted:

It just means "big room" house/electro type stuff.

It is not a catchall description for dance music. There are many forms of contemporary dance music using electronics that no one would ever describe as EDM.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
I call everything edm.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

EDM is when the DJ spends more time jumping around the stage and waving their arms than mixing. Also fireworks and lasershows.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

This is not very good. I hope that there is some EDM that is better than this, or else EDM is all kind of bad.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

The Singing Chav posted:

This is not very good. I hope that there is some EDM that is better than this, or else EDM is all kind of bad.

Try Tycho very good EDM

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

EDM is so bad it's infected this thread and now we're getting Tycho recs

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Gabbleduck posted:

Try Tycho very good EDM

Tycho Tycho?

http://youtu.be/mehLx_Fjv_c

I can't tell who's seriousposting and who isn't... Or is there an artist using the same name doing EDM? I prefer this Tycho if so.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKsANCnBDUg
code:
 _____ ______ ___  ___ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _ 
|  ___||  _  \|  \/  || || || || || || || || |
| |__  | | | || .  . || || || || || || || || |
|  __| | | | || |\/| || || || || || || || || |
| |___ | |/ / | |  | ||_||_||_||_||_||_||_||_|
\____/ |___/  \_|  |_/(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)(_)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I like this sorta stuff, like my higher brain knows it's stupid as all hell but my lizard brain can't get enough. http://youtu.be/R8i6VZ1vIY8 Skrillex is the master of this.

• Locked thread