Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am he

hypothetical movies/roles that famous actors turned down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verily carefree

benicio del toro => zorro

i am he

Arnold Schwarzenegger movie "Landworld" where all the oceans have been taken over by the encroaching ground and they drive around on dune buggies.

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
John Travolta, in "Battlefield Earth"

oh wait.

Looke

Danny DeVito famously turned down the role of Yoda

i am he

arnold instead of harrison ford as han solo

leia: i love you
arnster: i'll be back *winks*

Looke

Spock turned down the role of Leonard Nemoy on the documentary Trekkies

i am he

*trailer voice over* This holiday season.... Steve Buscemi... is...... HERCULES

Looke

Jeff Goldblum turned down the role of Hitler in Downfall

joke_explainer

Daniel Day-Lewis famously stormed off set on the first day of filming in his role as the titular Deuce Bigalow, leaving director Mike Mitchell to pick up Schneider.

Looke

Liam Nesson was originally asked to play Jim in the 1999 hit teen comedy 'American Pie'. However conflicting schedules with Star Wars meant he dropped out near the beginning of filming. The 10th anniversary edition DVD/Blu Ray of American Pie included previously unseen scenes of Nesson having sex with a pie.

RWT3

by Lowtax
Linda Hunt as Michael Jordan in Space Jam

joke_explainer

The original casting for 'Total Recall' revolved around a then relatively unknown Jerry Seinfield's sci fi adventure. Rumor has it the recasting was done nearly halfway through the entire movie, and the original, roughly edited segment is considered one of the great unpublished masterworks of cinema.

precision

by VideoGames
Matthew McConaughey was originally set to play bad boy "Zero Cool" in the seminal work Hackers, but balked when told he'd be required to wear a shirt.

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Looke posted:

Liam Nesson was originally asked to play Jim in the 1999 hit teen comedy 'American Pie'. However conflicting schedules with Star Wars meant he dropped out near the beginning of filming. The 10th anniversary edition DVD/Blu Ray of American Pie included previously unseen scenes of Nesson having sex with a pie.

i am he

Looke posted:

haha

i am he

Sean Connery was supposed to be Indiana Jones, and Harrison Ford, his father. But a movie intern accidentally put Ford's script underneath Connery's, invoking Hollywood's infamous patriarchal casting ritual, where the one on top must be the dad.

Pizzatime

nicolas cage was originally gonna play both the role of himself and john travolta in face off, but ultimately the producers decided that it would be "too much of a mindfuck".

Looke

Bruce Willis was casted to play villain Hans Gruber in the 1988 hit film Die Hard. After a change of director at the beginning of filming they recast him as the lead character John Mclane and replaced the original protagonist Richard Attenbourgh with actor Alan Rickman who was subsequently recast as Gruber. When this was announced on set Willis famously yelled "Yippee Ki Ay Mother Fucker" in the face of the outgoing Attenbourgh which can be seen in a some what edited form in the movie.

Looke

Danny Trejo was originally set to play Edward Lewis in rom-com Pretty Woman staring Julia Roberts however he was soon let go due to creative differences with the director after he suggested that his character should be first introduced to Roberts character Vivian Ward when he rapes her in the back of a strip club.

Some critics defended Trejo's suggested portrayal of the character by stating that the director was avoiding the fact that many prostitutes first meet their pimps when they get raped by them and by ignoring this suggestion they're ignoring the tragedy behind prostitution circuits across the country.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Looke posted:

Danny Trejo was originally set to play Edward Lewis in rom-com Pretty Woman staring Julia Roberts however he was soon let go due to creative differences with the director after he suggested that his character should be first introduced to Roberts character Vivian Ward when he rapes her in the back of a strip club.

Some critics defended Trejo's suggested portrayal of the character by stating that the director was avoiding the fact that many prostitutes first meet their pimps when they get raped by them and by ignoring this suggestion they're ignoring the tragedy behind prostitution circuits across the country.

Interestingly enough, The original script called for Danny Trejo to play the titular character of the 'Pretty Woman' in what would have been a groundbreaking exploration of transgender issues in film, but the climate of Hollywood at the time cast a more popular and conservative option, Julia Roberts.

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Almost all of Robin Williams' film roles were initially offered to Jerry Lewis but turned down. This holds true from Mrs. Doubtfire through Aladdin, Patch Adams, and perhaps the most blatant Lewis character role, Flubber.

Dubsy

Christopher Walken was originally pegged to play Jordan Belfort in wolf of wall street

i am he

This summer...
*really close up shot of wrinkles on face*
One man...
*wider shot of the back of a head with grey hair*
Will discover...
*camera pans up his body, revealing an astronaut suit*
Something, EXTRA terrestrial...
*rotating shot around the astronaut*
Ian Mckellan in...
*shows close shot of his whole face, winks*
ALIEN

free Trapt CD

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

In the film Multiplicity, the roles of Michael Keaton clones numbers 2, 3 and 4 were originally offered to Bill Paxton, John Ritter and Ed O'Neill, but a greedy Keaton snatched up the parts for himself, setting in motion a tidal wave of unnecessary character work that would go on to give us Austin Powers: Goldmember and Nutty Professor II: The Klumps.

Salmiakki

i am he posted:

This summer...
*really close up shot of wrinkles on face*
One man...
*wider shot of the back of a head with grey hair*
Will discover...
*camera pans up his body, revealing an astronaut suit*
Something, EXTRA terrestrial...
*rotating shot around the astronaut*
Ian Mckellan in...
*shows close shot of his whole face, winks*
ALIEN

alnilam

The lead spider in Arachnophobia was originally cast to be Sting. Interestingly, this is only one of many stinging/biting insect roles Sting has turned down, another one being the huge mosquitos from Jumanji.

i am he

Jonah Hill in the reboot of Mrs. Doubtfire, as the titular character. Now she's a sexy, independent, take no poo poo type of girl, that can also kick some man rear end when she needs to, who gets caught up in the crime of the century.

*Hill as sexy Mrs. Doubtfire wearing a lbb and 4 inch heels, unholsters two sidearms, winks*
"Don't doubt *shoots the word "Me" into concrete wall, blows smoke off tip of gun*"

bwatts

Jason Statham was originally cast as Gustave H. in Wes Anderson's The Grand Budapest Hotel, but left after a dispute regarding the tone of the funeral scene.

free Trapt CD

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

The role of the ghost in 'Ghost' was originally slated to be assumed by the ghost boy from 'Three Men and a Baby' but difficulties consistently capturing the undead on the primitive film stock of the early 90s resulted in a rare opportunity for the then-corporeal Patrick Swayze.

i am he

Stephen fry was gonna be the guy in Eight Mile, but negotiations fell through when the producers couldn't understand what he was saying.

i am he

The babies in Baby Geniuses were originally planned to all be twins with Steve Buscemi's face cgi-ed onto them, but after their budget got cut they were forced to hire real babies and pay them with various shiny baubles.

free Trapt CD

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

While in preparation for his role as the Beverly Hills Chihuahua, actor Robert de Niro took his method acting too far and was impounded for humping the leg of a passing stranger. His unexplained absence on the first day of shooting left the role open for a primed and ready George Lopez

shin42k

Originally meant to be a toy version of Antony and Cleopatra. Patrick Stewart was Pixar's first choice for Woody. But after various arguments with Randy Newman, Patrick Stewart he quit forcing the writers to radically rethink the movie.

Dubsy

John Goodman, lead role in enemy at the gates

i am he

Melissa McCarthy instead of Monica Bellucci in Irreversible

Looke

'Weird Al' Yankovic was originally casted as Dewey Finn in the 2003 hit comedy School of Rock however this was later recasted to star Jack Black due to the director not wanting to use Yankovic's music in the film.

joke_explainer

Nicolas Cage has a reputation as taking up any role that has a paycheck, but in fact the opposite is true. Nicolas Cage has been offered every starring and supporting roles of both genders in every single movie filmed since 1982. His remarkable reluctance to take these opportunities robbed us of Cage as a young Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars 1: The Phantom Menace' and the role of Katniss Everdeen in 'The Hunger Games', a popular book series which the author acknowledges was 'basically just meant to be a Cage vehicle'.

i am he

Some of these are really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives

i am he posted:

Sean Connery was supposed to be Indiana Jones, and Harrison Ford, his father. But a movie intern accidentally put Ford's script underneath Connery's, invoking Hollywood's infamous patriarchal casting ritual, where the one on top must be the dad.

sean connery was asked to play morpheus in the matrix too but turned it down because he didnt understand the plot

• Locked thread