Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

TW2 actually has a really good story by AAA RPG standards though

it doesn't have quirky as gently caress Bioware characters though so if you're into that

i feel like tw2's story was actually kinda bad, especially so if tw2 was your first game in the series. i did enjoy learning more about the poo poo from the first game, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

Make Cities A drat Menu In RPGs You Ridiculous European Smacktards.

Darklands FTW!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

You know back in wow vanilla when you had to run all the way down from crossroads to camp taurajo? That's what the witcher is like all the time.

This.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ragg posted:

If they somehow manage to gently caress up Cyberpunk 2077 I'm gonna burn down all of Poland.

Pls do it anyway

I'll pay u

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I have never had a problem walking in RPGs but I'm used to older games rather than this newfangled instant gratification generation

LaTex Fetish posted:

i feel like tw2's story was actually kinda bad, especially so if tw2 was your first game in the series. i did enjoy learning more about the poo poo from the first game, though

Did you play it twice?

you have to play it twice

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

nah i didnt play it twice. keep meaning to check out the 'otherside' (act 2) but i don't have time

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
you haven't finished the game then

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wormskull posted:

I fuckfarted into a dwarfcunt's ballcock.
-- Thing probably said by several characters in the Witcher series.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

I have never had a problem walking in RPGs but I'm used to older games rather than this newfangled instant gratification generation

Did you play it twice?

Imagine if in Mount & Blade they made you do the enter the city thing forever instead of letting you just access stuff from the menu instead.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

you haven't finished the game then

lol gently caress off ive killed the final boss haha

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

LaTex Fetish posted:

lol gently caress off ive killed the final boss haha

you killed Letho?

you're a monster

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Maybe I look at Witcher 2 better just because I cheated and gave myself infinite inventory space

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Wormskull posted:

Imagine if in Mount & Blade they made you do the enter the city thing forever instead of letting you just access stuff from the menu instead.

the cities in Mount and Blade have no atmosphere, it's not the same

that act 4 village in TW1 was comfy as gently caress

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Am I imagining things or in TW2 did they make it so you can't even run at top speed in the city. I remember constantly whipping out my weapon and putting it away when guards got mod when I played it but I don't remember why exactly.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i dont remember that, but who knows. really the only city youre in is in the first chapter

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

you killed Letho?

you're a monster

seemed like a massive cock to me, but maybe i should replay if he really wasnt. he started talking to me and i got dagoth ur vibes from him, but he wasnt as charismatic so i killed him

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
it could be argued that Letho didn't do anything Geralt wouldn't have done, though for somewhat different reasons

Plus killing him really accomplishes nothing but making a corpse. All the damage was already done

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

man maybe i didnt pay enough attention or something. should i replay on the opposite side or just replay the last act or start over?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
TW2 stands up really well on replays and has a ton of stuff you wouldn't notice your first time through, so start over entirely then do the opposite path of what you originally chose for Act 2.

Dec 26, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Did you play it twice?

i played tw2 twice and i think i still like the first's story better

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't understand that but that's ok.

is it because the first one is more character driven maybe?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

yeah, for me probably.

the first game you're geralt and you're given a buncha choices and you make them and the world gives you poo poo/praises you/interacts with you because of that.

the second game, you're given choices but its really you who's interacting with the world and not the opposite. it's basically like 'alright, do you wanna go this way or that way?' and you choose left or right. whereas in the first its like 'alright you can kill this guy but if you do people wont like you and if you dont that other group of people won't like you, so choose who you like more because youre hosed either way'

i like that better.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
the choices in TW2 gave me a lot more pause than in TW1 personally, and I enjoyed that about it

Dec 26, 2012

i kinda felt like the plot in 2 was more or less barreling along with or without your input and you get to change the outcome of like a handful things and tip the scales in one direction or another whereas 1's is pretty much inextricably tied to geralt and his actions. it meandered a bit (too much in the intro/chapter 1/the swamp, that poo poo should have been like half the length) but i felt like the better meandering gave things time to breathe and you got to do a bunch of cool interact-with-your-friends stuff like the house party

Dec 26, 2012

one thing they dropped between games were those bitchin watercolors showing a specific choice you made while geralt narrates out why he made that choice (also, that you were allowed to make an explicitly wrong choice in some cases, this is why vizima confidential is one of my favorite rpg quests). that was dope as poo poo in tw1 and those awful animated things that showed up once or twice in tw2 were no proper substitution

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess I can understan that. We just liked different things about the series and different things were emphasized between the two games.

I can still call you a human being casual if you want tho

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

01011001 posted:

i kinda felt like the plot in 2 was more or less barreling along with or without your input

this is a good point too. too much plot and not enough about geralt being a witcher

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
the plot was really tight though and actually used narrative devices like foreshadowing and poo poo that video game writing rarely bothers with

Dec 26, 2012

what does "tight" even mean in this context

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

it means 'cool'. *shakes head* youth today . . .

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

01011001 posted:

what does "tight" even mean in this context

it means it all fits together really well and intricately. there is very little filler in the plot, every detail has significance.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the only reason ive heard about the witcher was because of the embarrasing sex scenes [collect all the cards lmao]

would anybody have cared bout the game if it didnt have them?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i heard about the first witcher because everyone said its alchemy system was really good

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Chapter 2 of the first Witcher was really cool but I couldn't be bothered to play it after that

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655464

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

*the puffing and grunting that could only be the sound of an obese man giving birth to a giant turd can be heard from another room before a doctor rushes in with an announcement* The new Witcher movie has been released.

• Locked thread