Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
I really do miss Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert gracing the small screen every Saturday with their movie reviews. There will never be a more amusing show about two snobby critics arguing with each other. So many great reviews and discussions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wl1RfZyNr4

What's your favorite review from Siskel & Ebert/Ebert & Roeper/Roeper & Guests/At The Movies/Why The Hell Is This Still On/Ebert's Movie Program Sometimes Featuring Ebert/Ebert's Movie Program Without Ebert Again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I always go back to Patch Adams, because Siskel's puns are hilarious and Roger's line "Stepmom is hard-boiled compared to this film." is an all-time great Ebert burn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbWYnUHJvCw

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Oh we all know the correct answer to the greatest all time episode of Siskel and Ebert was.:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAAEFRVQU14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=982R2eAhL54

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

FrostedButts posted:

What's your favorite review from Siskel & Ebert/Ebert & Roeper/Roeper & Guests/At The Movies/Why The Hell Is This Still On/Ebert's Movie Program Sometimes Featuring Ebert/Ebert's Movie Program Without Ebert Again?

Ebert's rant on the Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter has always been funny to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmdhKEDT-bc

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I loved it when they tore into a lovely film.

http://youtu.be/TE-qx_EpjQ8

The last year with Siskel was pretty tough to watch unfortunately, especially when it was clear he wasn't too long for the world.

I also somewhat liked Roeper. He was definitely a step down from Siskel, but he had his moments, like when he ripped into Freddy Got Fingered and I felt bad for Mike Phillips and AO Scott, who certainly deserved more than just the one season. gently caress Ben Lyons though.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Their Ghost in the Shell review is fanastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il2l3hEEtdk

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
I can't find the clip, but one of my favorite Ebert & Roeper feuds was over The Spongebob Squarepants Movie.

Roeper: The parents like it because it keeps the kids entertained and the college kids like it because I believe they're on drugs! If they actually watch and enjoy this, they must be on drugs!

Ebert: I don't know if we have to go so far as a diagnosis, but I happen to know a lot of parents who generally like to watch the show.

Roeper: Well, if you're an adult and you're entertained by this, then, wow, good for you.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
As somewhat of a tangent, if you haven seen Life Itself, the Ebert biog documentary, you really should. Absolutely charming without being hagiographic. Cried buckets during it, too.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

gently caress Ben Lyons though.

But not Ben Mankiewicz, he was actually pretty good.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The one where they record a commercial and insult each other constantly.

"Be more excited Gene"

"Be less excited Rodger!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Siskel's final "Movie of the Year" was Babe: Pig in the City.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
I remember North being the first movie I found out that movies could be offensively bad. The group of kids I saw this with didn't seem to mind it and one kid thought Bruce Willis was funny.
It was the first time I was angry by the time a movie wasted in my life.

I watched Siskel & Ebert at midnight ( the only time it played in my area for years) and felt relieved that I wasn't the only one who hated that loving movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Allyn posted:

As somewhat of a tangent, if you haven seen Life Itself, the Ebert biog documentary, you really should. Absolutely charming without being hagiographic. Cried buckets during it, too.

That might be my favorite film of 2014, though I wondered what the hell Steve James was thinking with the placement of the Blue Velvet scene when watching it.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 29, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Dogeatdog posted:

I remember North being the first movie I found out that movies could be offensively bad. The group of kids I saw this with didn't seem to mind it and one kid thought Bruce Willis was funny.
It was the first time I was angry by the time a movie wasted in my life.

I watched Siskel & Ebert at midnight ( the only time it played in my area for years) and felt relieved that I wasn't the only one who hated that loving movie.

You know, I agree that this is an offensively bad movie. At the same time, I kinda understand what Reiner was going for, and can almost applaud him for it. Almost. If the (spoilers for a lovely 20 year old movie) "It Was All A Dream" twist had been telegraphed from minute one, all the stupid stereotypes make a twisted sense. Kids think in stereotypes they've seen in cartoons and television, which is what all the loving offensive poo poo is, just cranked up to 11 because dream logic. As it stands however, it's just dreadful.

That being said, I still have no idea why Jason Alexander wanted to loosen Elijah Wood's pants during his panic attack.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Pick posted:

Siskel's final "Movie of the Year" was Babe: Pig in the City.

It was a great movie.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
Was Jurassic Park really better? Who's to say? The jury's still out on this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEJKiK5hNlA

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
My favorite review: Brain Candy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dheOm5JgwzM

Ebert goes all internet troll on Gene.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Rosscifer posted:

Was Jurassic Park really better? Who's to say? The jury's still out on this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEJKiK5hNlA

I love how the episode of The Critic where they both voiced themselves made reference to their biggest dispute.

Ebert: Oh, come on, Gene. That was just another pointless retread that didn't need to be made.
Siskel: This from the man who loved Benji The Hunted?
Ebert: Hey, you liked Carnosaur!
Siskel: Well, I'll bet you'll like this. *punches him in the face*

If you watch that episode again, you'll notice that in both of their offices they have a large poster behind them of those movies they defended.

One other notable appearance was Gene Siskel on The Larry Sanders Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aelwaJmrXeg

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Raxivace posted:

That might be my favorite film of 2014, though I wondered what the hell Steve James was thinking with the placement of the Blue Velvet scene when watching it.

It feels weird to bring up a movie he didn't like when the man is dying, but I think he included it because of Ebert's response about having a moral code.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
Holy hell! I was digging through clips of Roger Ebert and stumbled on to this TV appearance from that awful show Early Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgOIIgOJ1B8

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FrostedButts posted:

I love how the episode of The Critic where they both voiced themselves made reference to their biggest dispute.

Ebert: Oh, come on, Gene. That was just another pointless retread that didn't need to be made.
Siskel: This from the man who loved Benji The Hunted?
Ebert: Hey, you liked Carnosaur!
Siskel: Well, I'll bet you'll like this. *punches him in the face*

If you watch that episode again, you'll notice that in both of their offices they have a large poster behind them of those movies they defended.

One other notable appearance was Gene Siskel on The Larry Sanders Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aelwaJmrXeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_fAVEz-Y34

I love the implication that Siskel is being pursued by the Devil.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Nobody has posted this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmnYCSwt2Js

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh we all know the correct answer to the greatest all time episode of Siskel and Ebert was.:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAAEFRVQU14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=982R2eAhL54

:staredog:

Hot darn that's a burial.

edit: I love the look of concern on Siskel's face as Roger tries to explain why Spawn is a good film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPEzYEUKKw

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 30, 2014

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The loving Protestant jokes are so brutal. Like, few comedians had as well-timed a wit as Roger Ebert. I don't even particularly care for him as a critic, but the dude was down-to-earth and funny.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

LordPants posted:

edit: I love the look of concern on Siskel's face as Roger tries to explain why Spawn is a good film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPEzYEUKKw
Siskel: "What about the flatuence jokes? The gas-bag jokes? Did you think those were funny too?"
Ebert: "Yes I did."
Siskel: "Really? At this point in your life?"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That Spawn thing reminds me of my favourite Ebert written review (I hope that's okay in this thread)
It was for the fairly forgettable "Hitman" movie with Timothy Olyphaunt. It's pretty dopey, but I always had a soft spot for it. The cool thing is, even in this completely silly action movie, Ebert finds something to like. He compares the relationship between Olyphaunt's Codename 47 and Kurylenko's Nika to "Le Samourai." Which is crazy, and a mark of what made Ebert fantastic. He went into every movie looking for something good. After 40 years of reviewing films, he never lost his enthusiasm for the medium, which is just amazing. Even in the dopiest movie, he was absolutely willing and able to see the good in the film.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Snowman_McK posted:

That Spawn thing reminds me of my favourite Ebert written review (I hope that's okay in this thread)
It was for the fairly forgettable "Hitman" movie with Timothy Olyphaunt. It's pretty dopey, but I always had a soft spot for it. The cool thing is, even in this completely silly action movie, Ebert finds something to like. He compares the relationship between Olyphaunt's Codename 47 and Kurylenko's Nika to "Le Samourai." Which is crazy, and a mark of what made Ebert fantastic. He went into every movie looking for something good. After 40 years of reviewing films, he never lost his enthusiasm for the medium, which is just amazing. Even in the dopiest movie, he was absolutely willing and able to see the good in the film.

Except North.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Except North.

I honestly can't think of anything positive about the film other than the sound being audible to listenable levels and the color timing appearing realistic.

For that matter, I recall it being a pretty ugly looking film. The Eskimo sequence looked like it was from a cheap TV special.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Except North.

Make no mistake, there were films he absolutely hated, but he gave every one a fair go.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Egbert Souse posted:

I honestly can't think of anything positive about the film other than the sound being audible to listenable levels and the color timing appearing realistic.

For that matter, I recall it being a pretty ugly looking film. The Eskimo sequence looked like it was from a cheap TV special.

It's Rob Reiner's failed attempt at doing a living storybook.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Snowman_McK posted:

Make no mistake, there were films he absolutely hated, but he gave every one a fair go.

Hell, he and Gene gave Independence Day a second chance after it opened with a $90+ million weekend. They thought they would see it again thinking they may have missed something the first time.

They didn't.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Except North.

He's not a miracle worker.

These were the only positive reviews I could find for North.

"North, a playful modern fable about a boy in search of new parents, doesn't always work, but much of it is clever in amusingly unpredictable ways."
‑ Janet Maslin, New York Times

"The screenplay by Alan Zweibel and Andrew Scheinman packs more on-target social satire than any film in recent memory, and zesty performances keep it clicking along at a rapid pace."
‑ David Sterritt, Christian Science Monitor

"I happen to LIKE Bruce Willis in a bunny suit!"
‑ Michael A. Smith, Nolan's Pop Culture Review

Even these guys are grasping at straws to find something good about this movie.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Egbert Souse posted:

I honestly can't think of anything positive about the film other than the sound being audible to listenable levels
That is not a positive aspect of North.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked his review of I Spit On Your Grave where he essentially just looked around the theater in disgust at the people who were enjoying themselves.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Drunkboxer posted:

I liked his review of I Spit On Your Grave where he essentially just looked around the theater in disgust at the people who were enjoying themselves.

Which is interesting because Roger Ebert made a name for himself as someone who would review the '42nd. street' stuff and give it legitimate standing against mainstream Hollywood films and foreign art pictures. He championed Russ Meyer as an auteur, and even his bad review of Grindhouse was one of the few written by someone who, you know, had developed a deep familiarity with exploitation movie tropes so that he could say, "This isn't an exploitation movie. This is a mainstream movie. He's not even being condescending, he legitimately likes these kinds of salacious films, he just gets so disappointed when they can't be as good as Night of the Living Dead and earn the admiration of the audience, as opposed to self-indulgently not giving a poo poo.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

FrostedButts posted:

Even these guys are grasping at straws to find something good about this movie.

I'll take a page from How Did This Get Made?!'s review of The Last Airbender: At least I didn't get raped during it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Which is interesting because Roger Ebert made a name for himself as someone who would review the '42nd. street' stuff and give it legitimate standing against mainstream Hollywood films and foreign art pictures. He championed Russ Meyer as an auteur, and even his bad review of Grindhouse was one of the few written by someone who, you know, had developed a deep familiarity with exploitation movie tropes so that he could say, "This isn't an exploitation movie. This is a mainstream movie. He's not even being condescending, he legitimately likes these kinds of salacious films, he just gets so disappointed when they can't be as good as Night of the Living Dead and earn the admiration of the audience, as opposed to self-indulgently not giving a poo poo.

Grindhouse movies are one thing, I Spit On Your Grave is another. It's the only horror movie I've had to turn off midway through because it was making me feel really bad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

K. Waste posted:

I think the difference is when a film has some really warped morality. Sort of like how Gone is OK with outright murder as long as the victim is probably a sex offender.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'll admit I only followed S&E very late in the game before Siskel died, so I am not as familiar with Siskel besides watching some specific TV reviews of older movies.

One of my favorite lines from an Ebert review was actually Roger's positive review of The Avengers.

Ebert posted:

"Comic-Con nerds will have multiple orgasms," predicts critic David Edelstein in New York magazine, confirming something I had vaguely suspected about them. If he is correct, it's time for desperately needed movies to re-educate nerds in the joys of sex. "The Avengers" is done well by Joss Whedon, with style and energy. It provides its fans with exactly what they desire. Whether it is exactly what they deserve is arguable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

If I recall correctly, I believe he declared Hitman to be the best video-game-to-film adaptation he had seen, which is saying a lot.

Echo Chamber posted:

I'll admit I only followed S&E very late in the game before Siskel died, so I am not as familiar with Siskel besides watching some specific TV reviews of older movies.

One of my favorite lines from an Ebert review was actually Roger's positive review of The Avengers.

The closing paragraph to his Sex And The City 2 review is priceless for similar reasons...

quote:

Truth in reviewing: I am obliged to report that this film will no doubt be deliriously enjoyed by its fans, for the reasons described above. Male couch potatoes dragged to the film against their will may find some consolation. Reader, I must confess that while attending the sneak preview with its overwhelmingly female audience, I was gob-smacked by the delightful cleavage on display. Do women wear their lowest-cut frocks for each other?

Ebert was a Grade A Breast Man.

• Locked thread