Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Camie is Toga's sister. She can transform into people by consuming their hair.

Her and Deku meet and bond. Toga fumes with jealousy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

amigolupus posted:

A page back, but this is what I'm afraid of as well. Endeavor's character works because he's a hero who's a horrible abusive shithead in his private life. He's made to be hateable. While I'm not sure if he should get a redemption, what he did should be addressed instead of swept under the rug.

I'm curious, but has there been a manga where the parent's abuse has actually been addressed and actually dealt with?

Depending on your definition of abuse.

Oh yeah and Medusa from Soul Eater.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 4, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nah, I'm thinking this is a fake-out. He had a big re-motivating moment in the license exam so he's just stalking Midoriya to learn how to be a better hero, since Deku is pretty clearly the best hero candidate in class atm.

He's going to learn a lesson about having faith in his own abilities and grow as a person, you'll see. Or he'll end up stalking in the same tree as Toga and get stab-murdered.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I've always kind of suspected a "the traitor is being forced to be a traitor" reveal, but I think it's a bit of a copout and would prefer someone be Actually Bad.

Honestly after the resolution of Eri being "actually she just gets better and less OP because it'd be awkward to figure out what to do with her otherwise" I'm thinking copping out isn't off the table.

That was pretty weak for this series imo.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dabi will stand out plenty when he kills his father, Endeavor.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

I don't think Endeavor's crimes are irredeemable, but I'm pretty soft-hearted and a huge believer in rehabilitation. I would say it's up to Shoto, his mom, and the rest of his family whether or not Endeavor gets any form of "redemption" for what he did, since they're the ones he wronged; without earning forgiveness from his victims, there's no way for him to achieve it.

The way Shoto has been written so far I strongly doubt he's ever going to actually forgive his father so much as learn to live with him - which is not the same thing at all - so Endeavor will probably go unredeemed.

I mean, Shoto isn't a real person so it's not up to him to do anything. Personally I think Horikoshi is walking a real fine line with the recent attempts at making Endevour not such a shithead. He's a thousand times worse than Bakugo ever was and I know that for me any attempt at redeeming him or having Shoto or his mom forgive him will fall flat. I think it's a pretty disgusting message to try and push and no I don't see why it matters at all that he was 'only' terrible in flashbacks. He's the worst character in the series and should be treated like it.

I joked a few pages ago about Dabi being revealed as his son and then killing him but I do genuinely think thats the best thing that could happen to the character. Writing a character as an absolutely despicable, abusive scumbag and then just having him say sorry and it all be forgiven is frankly offensive writing. Don't be Naruto.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

I'm not really big into stories where "guy does horrible things, is killed/tortured horribly in an ironic way to satisfy the distaste of the audience".

I'm well aware that Shoto isn't a real person, but treating it like a real life situation, it's possible for a family-abusing rear end in a top hat to come to terms with his family and be forgiven if that's what all parties involved want, even it happens vanishingly rarely because: 1. it requires actual contrition and a serious commitment to change on the part of the abuser(which typically doesn't happen when someone is an abuser to begin with) and 2. it requires a deep desire to forgive and reconnect from the victims. If Shoto was a person, it would be well within his right to hate Endeavor until the day he dies, but it's also well within his right to decide if Endeavor has earned forgiveness and redemption because he's the victim. If Horikoshi decides he wants to write a scenario where Endeavor makes an honest attempt to better himself as a person and earn the forgiveness of his family, I don't think it's inherently disgusting or wrong or offensive, provided it's not given to him for free. Things like him asking permission to visit his wife in the hospital(he could go any time he wants without it but him having permission from her is important), asking to spend time with Shoto in ways that don't revolve around turning him into a supersoldier, actually apologizing for what he did, etc. are all steps in this direction that I could swallow without it being "offensive".

I don't even particularly care about satisfying my distaste for him, I simply don't want him to get a cheap redemption or for him to be validated in any way. I also think that its very likely he will die regardless both to ratchet up the stakes by having the No 1* Hero get killed by the VA and to serve as conflict for Shoto. He'll probably go out as a 'Hero' anyway and it'll be played as tragic more than vindictive.

As to the rest I can simply say that I disagree. For one thing its a shounen series and Endeavour isn't a main character, so I highly doubt there'd be an appropriate level of exploration of the topic to justify such an arc. And I wouldn't want an appropriate level anyway since it would distract from the actually good stuff. And yeah I just don't feel comfortable with the series portraying someone this vile turning it around like that. As I said, this is a really sensitive subject and Horikoshi writing the kind of scenario you describe would piss me off. I wouldn't believe it and it isn't what I want to see from this series anyway.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kild posted:

Then La Brava reveals that she has the power of Gum and restores it.

Villains with both the powers of rubber and gum? Sounds implausible.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Outside of Mineta, Koda and Sato are clearly the least impressive and interesting members of the class (followed by Ojiro) and could easily be replaced. Not that they will be, but its clear that of the class they're the 'filler' characters. I wish they were more interesting but at the same time I don't really want time devoted to them either.

I do think its likely the traitor will be a member of 1-A and will free up a spot for Shinso though. We also know he's doing something with Aizawa that's wearing him out too.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 2, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Animal guy and Sugarman.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

His strength isn't even very impressive either. Five times that of a normal person. As I recall he looked to only be about as strong as Kirishima when that isn't even the dudes main Quirk. He's pretty much a total dud imo.

BTW I'm looking into the Hagakure traitor theory for the first time and its actually pretty credible. I'd always been on Team Kaminari for that but now I'm not so sure.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 2, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Also the original point is "Bleach is still better about letting women fight than MHA" which, like, still isn't wrong

To be fair though, MHA is 170 chapters in. At this point in Bleach I'm pretty sure we'd only gotten a short fight with Orihime getting her powers and the Yoruichi v Soi-Fon fight. Toga's had more action than that by herself.

There does need to be more asskicking from the ladies though, I agree.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

At that time Bleach was actually still good with female characters getting cool stuff. It wasn't really until after Rukia beat not-Kaien that it got bad about that. Lots of neato people showing up to do one mood then have their fight disappear off screen, but I think that ended up happening to every single female character introduced. None of the Vaizard ladies did anything after being introduced, maybe one token attack that got shrugged off by villains here and there? Then uh, Zombie making lady quincy and the one that made things explode? Cause Nel didn't do poo poo after spitting a couple explosions at people and Halibel did literally nothing.

Man, this series doesn't have a high bar to clear for giving its girls a time to shine.

Zombie making lady actually turned out to be a crossdresser and this was revealed by the gay guy saying he 'reeked of semen'. Yes, really. For some reason I clearly remember that part more than the rest of that clusterfuck of an arc.

I actually stopped reading Bleach at around that time so that's some unsurprising news to me. Before that mid-Bleach was OK when it came to girls. Nel did get to whoop that misogynist dudes rear end before getting taken out by the plot, Halibel also got to have a full fight with Toshiro before becoming irrelevant, Soi-Fon had a fight, a bunch of B-list girls got to do stuff and Yoruichi contributed against Aizen. I think Yoruichi did actually get to do something in the later Quinchy stuff too but she always was treated as a top tier fighter iirc.

I think the main thing with both Bleach and MHA is that its main female characters aren't treated as being particularly strong and don't get to keep up with the male cast. Which sucks for MHA but I don't see it changing any time soon. At least Toga got to inexplicably whoop Deku's rear end that one time.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Like people have said, it is a serious situation. Gentle successfully breaking in would probably get UA shut down, everyone fired or have other dire consequences. Especially since its Gentle, him breaking in would make the school look like a total joke.

(Also the best ending would be for the fight to bump into the League of Villains simultaneous attempt to break in and Deku and Gentle have to foil it together)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

A fighting game where you can make your opponent weightless seems cool. Especially if you can have Uraraka just jump in and make them hover while you wail on them.

The sidekick system is a good idea purely because I can only imagine the reaction if you pick Bakagou as Deku's sidekick. :hehe:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

That was fantastic. Gentles a great character and his backstory is so relateable. It was nice to see Deku genuinely pleading with him not to ruin the dreams of others to fulfill his own. I think Deku may be able to get through to him when he and La Brava see what they've been reduced to.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

As it's been pointed out, the UA exam is actually pretty unfair to certain kinds of Quirks. Gentle is certainly above the level of a good number of students and heroes but his quirk isn't exactly great for destroying robots. Assuming the exam is the same or similar I can see why he couldn't pass it. He could be a fantastic rescue hero though.

DrSunshine posted:

He should join up with The Crawler and become a vigilante! Just thinking about it, I feel that Gentle and La Brava are way more suited to MHA: Illegals than the regular comic. They just have that "feel", you know?

I was thinking that too. It would have been perfect for him, his situation is very similar to the Crawlers too. But even though Gentle was in a terrible situation he still made the choice to become a villain instead of a vigilante, which he could have done and likely could have been successful at. A vigilante won't make history though. Thats what makes him a villain.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 13, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kouda presumably got rats and birds to chew through the cables and such. It wouldn't be impossible for Gentle to do it but his quirk is almost purely defensive and evasive so it'd be very hard for him to do much to the robots imo. And I don't think we can blame him for failing the hidden save people test. Even Iida failed that one.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Gentle passed his entrance exams, it was just that he kept failing classes at the hero school itself and repeatedly failed his provisional license exam.

Radish posted:

The school Gentle was at probably didn't have the ridiculous sort of entrance exam that UA did.

Well I hosed that up then, whoops.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Not that the manga is bound by the anime but something interesting I noticed at the start of the new episode is that Shigaraki says All for One found the location of the camp independently. That's not in the manga, right? I think that would indicate Shigaraki doesn't know about or isn't in contact with the traitor and that they got the information before the students arrived at the camp (or that there is no traitor).

May be nothing, but I'm hungry for traitor hints so worth noting.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's super cool of Deku to try and minimise Gentles crimes so its not too hard for him. He really does care. :unsmith:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I've been wondering for a while now what the endgame for this series is gonna be. I imagine the villains will all be defeated, but with the points being made against a symbol of peace and what not...where does this series go at the finish line? I'd prefer not to see a time skip, but at the same time I'd understand if we get a glimpse of what the future holds in terms of the balance of good and evil, law and lawlessness. Does this series just end with Deku graduating and "well, we'll see how it goes?" That sounds awful.

I imagine it'll be something like this:

Class 1-A is going to open a hero agency all together and it'll basically end up as a Japanese Justice League, restructuring the hero society to make it less about a bunch of competing heroes in it for fame and money and more about a co-operative team all working together nationwide. All of them will be the Symbol of Peace.

Deku will probably use up all of OfA/cripple himself and will strictly serve as the director who saved the world and founded the league. Bakugo and Todoroki will compete for the top hero spot so technically all 3 could be called the Greatest Hero.

Mineta dies.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think it has to be a 1-A student because narratively it wouldn't be interesting or impactful otherwise.

Like if it's Snipe or something who would even care? But if it's a student like Kaminari or Hagakure or Aoyama, someone who's been among the cast from the start and we actually care about then it wouldn't be such a wet fart.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rhonne posted:

I hope the next arc gives us a chance to see what the Class B kids quirks can do. Like, most of them have really cool names and I really want to know what they are! There's Twin Impact, Poltergeist, Lizard Tail Cut, Comic, Black, and HORN CANNON to name a few.

It's kind of funny how much worse Class B is than Class A.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

IIRC the villains arrive a day before they actually attack so they had time to come up with a plan and scout the area.

However in the anime at least Shigaraki indicates that AfO finds out where they're going before the students arrive, which would indicate its a teacher or someone like Hagakure who could pilfer the info without people knowing.

fractalairduct posted:

The students didn't know where the training camp was going to be held. I guess it's possible someone texted the League of Villains after they arrived or something but they were way out in the middle of the forest, I'd be surprised if they had a signal.

One of the strongest parts of the Kaminari theory is that he's one of the few who could conceivably create a signal to track without them knowing about it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I was always a fan of the theory that Dabi is a Todoroki but after seeing that his eye color is almost identical to Shoto's I'm pretty confident in it now.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Interesting that the No 2 Hero is a normal looking guy with wings. I'm guessing theres way more to his power because that'd be a real crappy quirk for such a high rank.

Maybe he's an Angel rip-off and they can turn into knives or something. Could just be totally unrelated to his actual quirk like Tokoyami's bird head.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Well, maybe not Spinner.....

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 28, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If Hawks is legit then he's one of the most genuinely heroic 'heroes' around and is pretty much the best one other than All Might we've seen. In a world where being a hero is a job he's the only one who wants to make himself essentially unemployed. Also his 'lol I'm super lazy and chill' shtick is clearly bullshit, this guy flew around the country to check out rumors. IMO everything he's done has reinforced that he's extremely smart, hard working and competent and his public face is an act.

On the other hand I'm really drat suspicious of the timing here. The Noumu just happens to show up right now after he bought Endeavor there. I know this is 'Convenient Timing: The Manga', but come on.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Count me as another person whose reaction each week is:

"No, gently caress Endeavor."

People keep pointing out that it is still possible for him to earn forgiveness but the fact is that Endeavor has not earned a single loving thing yet. Even this chapter pointed out that he hasn't apologised at all for what he did to anyone.

I can only hope this arc ends with Endeavor expecting something to change with his big win but when he goes home Shoto just flips him off and walks away and he's forced to accept that he's destroyed that relationship forever.

I think a thing that certainly exacerbates this for me is that everywhere except on this site I see loads of people 100% on board with the forgiveness arc and gushing over how cool Endeavor is and it really bothers me.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 15, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

All you need are a few guns and a grenade launcher to take Aizawa out. He's not bullet stop/dodging fast.

He dodged Dabi's point-blank, surprise-attack explosion of flame in practically an instant and was somehow able to get above him in that time. He's fast as gently caress.

MHA cops have guns and they're still fodder compared to any pro-Hero afawk. The world runs on anime/comic rules for what a 'normal human' is capable of physically. Bakago can keep up with Deku's legit super-speed, Shigaraki instantly closed the gap between him and the kids in the USJ attack and even Toga was practically teleporting all over the place against Deku who again does have enhanced reflexes.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 10, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I have no clue who the creepy no-nose goggle person is in the new OP, so I'm guessing it's a filler character. Which is weird since we seem to just be going straight into the provisional exam. Maybe the rescuees?

Liking the new OP though. ED is a bit meh.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

We must be seeing different things because part of what makes me so anxious and frustrated about this arc is the amount of people wholeheartedly buying into Endeavor's 'redemption arc', defending him and saying stuff like "Endeavor's legit one of my favs now!' while drawing cute fanart of him.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not Horikoshi is purposefully trying to make him sympathetic, but I'm definitely judging the series harsher because it seems to be doing that anyway.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's All Might (metaphorically) and everyone will learn a valuable lesson that true family is the one you choose and not the one you're born with.

(its really All for One tho)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I thought Bubble Girl was fine, especially since she was introduced alongside the pinnacle of Horikoshi's creativity: "Guy in suit who wears glasses."

(Nighteyes a great character don't kill me please.)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fabricated posted:

To be fair Gigantomachia kinda breaks things too since he can apparently flatten mountains in combat.

I don't get why you'd bother testing the High-Spec on a high-ranking hero instead of just telling it go gently caress UA up. There's plenty of high-level heroes there. I bet it could've killed someone before it was stopped too.

I mean, I think Aizawa is exactly why you don't do that. All the teachers combined would curb-stomp High-Spec. Plus Recovery Girl is right there.

The dude above is spot-on that Erasure Head kind of stops the plot if he can actually do his thing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

poo poo like this is exactly why there would be so many villains in this world. Imagine having to live with that kind of inconvenience your entire life, constantly having to mind what you do even when you're asleep or you might accidentally loving disintegrate yourself. It'd drive you nuts.

Also I wonder if, assuming it is his natural quirk (which we can't assume), Nana's quirk was related to it at all. We know that she had one and family members have similar quirks. It'd be a toned down version like just making things softer or something.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 30, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nah, Endeavor tells All Might that he 'created that thing' to beat him and we see what Endeavor is like in full flashbacks. He's one of the most monstrous people in the series and that isn't just Shoto's perspective. I don't think Horikoshi regrets making him as bad as he was, he was very deliberately set up as an absolute loving bastard and last chapter it was just clearly referenced that he was an absolute loving bastard.

SpacePig posted:

I know, but Mandalay didn't, and the villains probably didn't either. I thought something was going to come of the difference, because otherwise why bother writing it that way?

I'm not saying it was wrong or anything, it was just a weird beat to include, to me.

It was really embarrassing for Bakagou, that's why.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 2, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

drjuggalo posted:

froppy was cool until she cried like a punk and joined every other loving girl in class 1-A being a insecure low self esteem waifu bait for nerds

I'm going to do you a solid and assume that you forgot about Mina and also gently caress you for forgetting about Mina. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I feel like Shonsou may be working with the school to locate the traitor. Aizawa seems to be training him or at least working with him in some way, I could see him being privately trained as a kind of undercover hero who works in the shadows like Aizawa. His power kind of requires that his opponent not expect his ability and it'd be suitably tragic for him to not able to publicly work as a hero due to his quirk.