Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Baal posted:

I never said it didn't make sense. I said it's not creative or clever to write. It's a very simple way to portray a character like him, but it's also a loving kids manga based on fantastical superheroes who are all in a superhero high school with their big grinning teacher and I like it if that kind of camp can be kept in the dialogue too. I'm not even saying the dialogue as a whole is bad, just that it feels excessive to do it with this one character even if you think it makes sense and I don't think I'm being unreasonable by saying this.

I pretty much agree with this, even if it makes sense for his character it's kind of too much.

But then again I just get really annoyed when adults co-opt kid poo poo and insist it was made for them, so this just feels like the translators are trying to shift the audience with gratuitous swear words, even if it's appropriate for his character. There was this One Piece translation group that would make all the characters swear and I haaaaaaated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Terper posted:

2. Yay, our second tournament

Oh man, if that's how this really goes then I might actually check out for a bit, I didn't love the first one outside of Tokoyami.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

racist

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

my post was so true it happened twice

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One Piece is good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

I think One Piece largely benefits from the left-over good will it generated from its earlier chapters. I think there's also the fact that people think that being energetic and having good character designs allows you to ignore everything else about the series.

No, people like it because it's good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still don't like bakugo sorry

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rudeness will not endear me to you, bakugo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't really been reading this thread because my opinions on MHA change like the loving seasons but I wasn't aware people thought it was in a slump.

I'd ask why but I get the feeling it's been discussed to death.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 11, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I kinda get that. I have a tendency to forget about this series for a few weeks and then read 4 chapters in a row so I haven't been that affected by the pacing but it still feels like we've been here forever. It's something I tolerate in like, One Piece because that series has so much going on but one of the more refreshing things about MHA for me is that the arcs are generally pretty short.

It's also been pretty frustrating that a lot of the more interesting characters were supposed to be in this arc and disappeared for months until this most recent chapter.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Actually I don't like a lot of the main characters' costume designs

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I do, but I don't see what that has to do with this series

I'm sorry I'm sorry I don't mean that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is definitely dumb even if I don't have as huge a problem with it as some others. The main problem for me is just that Overhaul is so loving boring, a dude with this power should have way more going on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I have no idea how you can say it's about Eri when she's had five lines of dialogue total and really is just a motivator for the men in the arc to do things, or for the story to take turns that it wouldn't otherwise. That can be doable when we have a character we get to spend time with and connect to but Eri's barely been in this arc at all and has no personality beyond being a victim. She's a MacGuffin that cries a lot.

Like even if that's what this arc was actually about, it would still be executed in an unsatisfying way.

You're right, it's totally inexcusable how hard every female character has been sidelined, especially Eri, who this should actually be about.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Them getting fights would be neat but I don't even really need that. I'd just like them to be at all present instead of disappearing for six months or whatever

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhonne posted:

I mean, this fight could give her a chance to collect more if she wants.

That would be dumb and repetitive. Burning the Deku blood here was an insane decision that affected pretty much nothing in the grand scheme and really bugs me, her just getting more would be even worse somehow.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

EponymousMrYar posted:

Bolded for emphasis. If you've never gone back and re-read something you've been waiting week-to-week for releases, the feel of things is massively different. You forget a lot more than you realize in those weeks.

I have the opposite issue where I read so fast I don't internalize anything. I read the Whitebeard War arc in One Piece in like a day and it's probably the reason I'm not too hot on that arc lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

except for right now, smartass, that's why people are pointing it out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The traitor thing has gotten so little focus I'm constantly forgetting about it. The only way it'll matter at all is if it's a major character, yeah.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That wasn't hyperbole btw, I legitimately completely forgot there was a traitor plot point and even now I only vaguely remember its introduction after being prompted.

I've got all the released volumes, man I should reread this series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is the exact reason I hate popularity polls.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Roland Jones posted:

Shigaraki jumped all the way to 15; him wrecking Overhaul seems to have really boosted his popularity. Which is understandable.

Again, this was before that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

sns is good that part is just very not

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The license stuff is between arcs so I doubt it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What the hell is a 'cour'?

A cour is a three-month unit of television broadcasting, used to denote groups of about 10-14 (usually 13) episodes. Anime seasons are generally one or two cours.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, it's just kind of a tumblr thing to put a bunch of full-on sentences in your tags apparently

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That doesn't mean Mirio didn't job. If the ref gets knocked out and the wrestler you're up against brings in outside help to beat you and you lose, you still jobbed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jobbing is just "doing your job." It's wrestling knowing you're going to lose. Obviously it's not a perfect analogy because fictional characters rarely know the outcome of their fights, so it was broadened a bit to "losing a fight that the audience generally knows the character will lose, especially against someone that the main character will later have to fight and win against."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's fair, I'm not actually a wrestling fan :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like Vegeta because he's charming in his own weird arrogant way and also it's kind of fun watching him get stomped. That list of Bakugo's "redeeming qualities" someone posted earlier is really just a list of things that make his poo poo-rear end personality even worse and I still don't really enjoy seeing him in the story even if he's mellowed considerably.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Namek era vegeta was gleefully murdering innocents without any real style or personality and kind of was a joyless asshat until like....the end of the cell saga where they decided to give him a personality and character connections outside of "Is a Massive rear end in a top hat All The TIme Never Stops." If you liked him more than you do Bakugo you've not watch/read dragon ball since you were a kid.

Bakugo is the same kind of absolutely prideful asshat but the story and the rest of the cast know how to manipulate and work around that that it's both a character development for everyone and also a source of great comedy (His confusion at being left out of planning, Sero baiting him into helping, Deku knowing Kirishima would have to be the one to call out to him).

Dude's way more interesting than pre-buu vegeta.

The last time I watched Dragon Ball Z is the same as the first time I watched it, and it was like three weeks ago, dude.

And how "interesting" Bakugo is isn't the point. I think Bakugo is a compelling character on paper but in practice I still largely can't stand having him be on screen for a variety of reasons, chief among them how far the series has gone to reward his behavior (even if everyone hates him) and Deku's consistent "oh gee whiz you're so fuckin' cool, my tormentor." Only very recently has the balance shifted for me there where Bakugo ends up actually suffering due to his shitheadedness, but it's kind of too late? The character has been too lovely for too long for me and I just can't get behind any attempt to rehabilitate him that doesn't fundamentally change his entire attitude. Sorry.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm kind of losing my patience in that regard, which isn't helped by the story reinforcing that the worst parts of Bakugo are the things that allow him to succeed.

It's also weird that people are trying to convince people Bakugo is good by comparing him to Vegeta, which honestly is sooner going to make me dislike Vegeta than like Bakugo. Vegeta's tolerable at least because he's capable of his own chill brand of smug instead of being insufferably angry constantly, and at least Goku takes Vegeta's bullshit in stride because he's too preoccupied to care.

But I don't even like DBZ that much so this is a weird conversation for me to be having.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The worst parts of Bakugo made him look like a chump that couldn't even get a provisional license, which mostly forced him into the background for the last couple of arcs.

I was talking about specifically before that, that point is like the exact moment I actually started to appreciate where his arc might be going, but even then it's too little too late imo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manatee Cannon posted:

before that the class always treated him like a joke so idk what you mean. hell he had to saved by deku in like the first chapter. they've never reinforced his negative aspects as good or right; this has been how mha has treated bakugou from the word go

I feel like I've already laid this out in my previous posts. Even if the characters don't like him, that doesn't actually mean much because the series itself through external rewards (winning the sports festival) and characters we are supposed to trust the instincts of talking him up (Deku all the time in the early bits, Aizawa kinda in his fight with Uraraka) continually reinforce his "greatness."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point was never "Bakugo is not a compelling character" it was always "I find him intolerable." It is a totally separate issue from whether I like the character or not, and has more to do with my finding the character to be toxic and expressing doubt that his arc will ever resolve in a way that properly addresses his "abrasiveness." Part of that doubt is that if you were to make Bakugo less of an rear end in a top hat to the point I could tolerate him, and show him actually making amends, you kind of destroy his character and the people who do like him for whatever weird reason would hate it. The reason I disliked him in the first place wasn't even the bad poo poo in chapter 1, it's the weird way Deku goes "you're amazing," because the way in which he's an rear end in a top hat is inextricable to me with the kind of hero he is and it's infuriating to see the characters try to compartmentalize that.

But we're a million light-years away from whatever point I was originally trying to make here and I'm probably going to drop this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Patware posted:

i mean at this point i'd just be happy if you'd stopping putting it so that everyone who is able to appreciate bakugou's character is some kind of a weirdo

it's fine if you can't stand the character just stop acting like you not being able to stand the character means everyone who does sucks

I was being facetious, sorry.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

drjuggalo posted:

froppy was cool until she cried like a punk and joined every other loving girl in class 1-A being a insecure low self esteem waifu bait for nerds

Tsuyu hasn't done much for me as a character in a little while but yikes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just had a crazy thought: what if All For One was an inheritor of One For All too? Imagine that OFA's original bearer (actually #0) accidentally gave it to AFO (he even has a one in his "name") from their fight, and because his brother's ghost kept bugging him about doing the right thing AFO just gives it to anyone else to make the ghost go away.

This wouldn't be a very good twist for the sole reason that I'm not even sure I understand you explaining it to me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gmq posted:

On the bright side it's not the "the singularity is about time travel and the shadowed OfA users are literally Bakugo and Kirishima" theory that I've seen being talked about in twitter.

oh god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As neat as it would have been to have had a powerless main character, One for All is a really cool twist on a classic power so I'm glad it happened.