Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
It means you’re either lookin like a tramp or a video vamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Phish - Gin and Juice.mp3 was probably the apex of the mislabeled

This wasn’t mislabeled though... it was a bootleg from a concert of them performing the song from back when they were supposed to be the next great touring band after the Dead...

Or is that the joke and I am dumb?

Both are very possible

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I am dumb, lol

turn up volume, then turn it down, then turn it up again for mtv when it was good

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Phanatic posted:

If you're talking about the countrified acoustic rednecky version of it, that wasn't Phish, it was the Gourds.

Edit: Beaten

Wait, maybe I’m not SO dumb...

I was a friends and I listened to a lot of phish in college. There was definitely a live concert version of gin and juice by phish that was not the gourds version. They were just messing around on stage and played the song.

Either way, I get it now. I had forgotten about the gourds version

If I can find the actual phish version I’m talking about, maybe I’ll post it.

...it could also be the Mandela effect :tinfoil:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Sweevo posted:

I've been selling some old car magazines on ebay, and flicking through them to check their condition I noticed that there's suddenly an explosion in ads for car alarms in about 1992-ish. Late 80s, nothing. Then suddenly there are four or five ads in every issue all through the mid-90s. Then it dropped off again.

Handbrake/steering wheel locks too.

Lol, I imagine Bill Clinton was elected and he was going to let all the criminals out of prison /s

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Pastry of the Year posted:

No one wanted to play Utopia with me :smith:

Take it to the 80’s thread...

Utopia on Intellivision was the bomb... loved that game. Fishing harbors FTW

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Not really too notable, but I saw a “No Fear” sticker in Karachi, Pakistan when I went there around 2008. Same font as all the others that exist. Always struck me as kinda crazy. Sitting on a grimy little motorcycle outside the place we just had lunch.
How far did that sticker travel... did it come from China to the US and then back over there? Or did it come straight from China for some reason? Or maybe they were manufactured there for a while... idk

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

A 26-year-old who looks more like early 30s, passing for a high school student. I guess The breakfast club wasn’t really all that innovative in that regard after all.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I spent so many nickels on this game hot drat

Sir Lemming posted:

So it was YOU!

It was me too. My friend and I used to play the crap out of it. In fact, it was one of the first games I had ever seen a cheat or tips sheet for. My friend found one on the internet and printed it out and brought it to the arcade and we used it to get pretty far. We loved that game. I never understood the hate it gets, although supposedly it has some no-win places in it to get you to have to put quarters in, so that sucks

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

It makes sense when you realize Aerosmith's original Boomer fans in the 70's were now entering middle-age, and thus needed something that was SLIGHTLY edgier than Michael Bolton in a vein attempt to still appear cool.

A bland-as-gently caress, drug-free Aerosmith was perfect cause they cold feel like they were still clinging to their teenage, hard-rockin' roots, defying "The Man", while actually being "The Man" and systematically dismantling every social and economic benefit they had as young adults to slightly enrich themselves more.

This may be true, but Aerosmith was pretty popular when I was in high school in the early 90’s

Early stuff like ragdoll was still awesome.
They cratered the aforementioned boomers heads by teaming up with Run DMC for “walk this way”
The Pump album

They were legit, at least where I came from and had a rotation in my CD player alongside STP, Pearl Jam and RHCP among others of course :)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah I don’t know how you love Airheads and hate Empire Records.

IMO, Airheads is fine but Empire Records is way better. But I’m no film critic

Plus I admit that I do have skin in the game since I say this all the time:
“drat the man! Save the empire!”

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

dialhforhero posted:

My Dave and Busters used to have 8 full mock-up pods to battle in Mechwarrior and it was loving amazing.

Some of these were bought up and a place in Houston has them set up if I recall. I can’t google it right now but it existed less than a year ago

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Snip.... I believe it was on the back where a couple of teenagers were depicted, a boy and a girl, and if I remember correctly with spraypaint cans. The customer was complaining because the girl's top button of her pants was undone.

I have to admit, I am now complaining but only because I don’t know the reason?????

Why would the top button of her pants be unbuttoned???

Was it the style at the time??? Should I have been unbuttoning my pants in the 90’s? So many questions...

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

I was in Germany a little while ago and they had like six different paprika flavors of Pringles. The dude working the shop looked at me like I was a freak for being so excited about it.

Lol, same here but Spain and Jamon (Ham) flavored pringles.

They were good

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

90s Solo Cup posted:

But gimme that loving BK crown.

I’ll take the Long John Silvers pirate hat over this any day of the week

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

This needs more love… I dated a girl in the 90’s who had a white ‘90 Toyota celica that had that graphic on the side…

That car looks like it’s grandchild

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Also of note, Shatterstar is his own grandfather.

Like Fry from Futurama?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Shifty Nipples posted:

It was a common occurrence in reality at least, I just started laughing trying to remember all the things I lost on a roof.

It was part of an early Simpsons episode as a joke, and yeah I remember losing stuff up there all the time

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

The sequel trilogy needs at least 7-10 more years before it can obtain cult like meme status. It’s future memes will be hilarious though, just gotta hold out till then.

Future memes brought to you by Disney

There’s an article describing the theory that: now that Disney owns the prequels, they’re paying off sites to right favorable articles to try and rehabilitate those movies. Probably true.

I’ll always think of them as the worst of all of the SW movies, but im not a movie critic

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Blues Traveler once stayed at a hotel I worked at a few years ago. There was about $1,200 in damage to Poppers room. Not from excessive partying or anything, dude tore up the carpet dragging a chair over to the window so he could sit in front of the ac unit while he ate a bucket of wings. He destroyed the curtains by using them as napkins and when he finished a wing he would hurl the bone as hard he could against the wall.

Lol, fuckin A
I can picture it perfectly for some reason

I wonder if he was able to hurl the bones hard enough to feel something again

Probably not, I heard he was a serious douche. Good music though

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Porfiriato posted:

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1588498665072906240

One of the shots has a poster for the movie Black Rainbow which came out in 1989, but according to Wikipedia was not finally released on home video until Jan 1992, so these photos are probably from winter/spring of '92.

That guys jacket with the red triangle is peak early 90’s

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Excuse me, the 90’s were PHAT

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

When I was in high school it was 59, 79, 99

Used to love that pintos and cheese for 59

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I still have one on my workbench. A little white Porsche 928. Thank god for them putting magnets on the bottom so it just sticks to a neodymium magnet I have on one of the legs of the bench.

I think I also have the car carrier Semi somewhere filled with a bunch more

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I got Moon Moon

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Turns out the lead was inside of us all along

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The Big Lebowski was released in 1998 and set in 1991. Could the Dude's outfit be considered 90s or was he wearing retro?

Basically wondering if I could wear this to a 90s theme night.

The outfit abides

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Unperson_47 posted:

Are book covers even still a thing? I remember kids collecting and trading them when I was in school. I only ever had these really plain blue and white (or maybe it was black and white) ones or some that were brown paper bag type material.

Books aren’t a thing anymore

Source: daughter in high school

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I still quote the critic to my partner:
“when it comes to women, either tell them you are the acorn that becomes the mighty oak, or that you have cancer.
Either way, the key word is ‘growth’”

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

"gently caress gently caress gently caress a duck, screw a kangaroo, gangbang an orangutan, orgy at the zoo" then I logged off for fear of being arrested.

12 year old me would be so disappointed in older me

FTFY

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Neito posted:

They did a new attempt at LTV in 2013, not sure how it holds up (I've seen it around but haven't watched it).

I will always remember:
“gahghhh! It’s a pair of human eyes!” From that shows intro iirc

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

The Alchemist posted:

This dog named Lou, was the pet dog of Bradley Nowell, lead singer of a ska-punk band named Sublime. Lou lived from -89 through 2001, which means Lou saw the entirety of the 90's.

If only he practiced Santeria or had a crystal ball

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I still hear “Maguiver” (sp?) used all time… but not in the way the way they used it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Enron, worldcom and
The original .com bubble burst