Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
How has this gotten a new anime that's been picked up in the West but no Official translation for the latest manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hentai Jihadist posted:

so is baki dou only translated up to 145? thats a shame

not sure about this miyamoto musashi arc, hes a good heel though, i guess anything would be a letdown from my man pickle

I'm so glad my man pickle survived, me and my girlfriend were so worried for him

supposedly it is translated to later, but as covered earlier in the thread there's literally only one translation group working on it and they don't publicly post their scans as they run on a donation system and also are seemingly invite only and operate via an IRC channel/group chat exclusively.

Hopefully that SuperEyepatchWolf video can help towards getting this series popular again.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Plutonis posted:

The Big Ni🅱️🅱️a is gonna use PRIMAL SUMO

Only two options:

Boring option: 45ft vertical jump.

Baki-grade option: Sumo palms the wall, knocks it over, catches it with his hand on the buzzer.

Secret third option: Just loving kicks his feet into the wall and runs up the vertical surface.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Awwww.

Well I was close.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Glagha posted:

Isn't this pretty normal for Baki? I thought it was customary to trot out one of the characters to get chumped by the new guy but then they were usually like "hey that was pretty good I'm totally fine though." Including sometimes when losing a hand/teeth/most of their face.

Yeah, it really makes heavy use of wrestling tropes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Yujiro is good when not fighting. Like the scene where Motobe says he's going to protect Yujiro. Or when he does unnecessarily over the top stuff like walking through plexiglass for shits and giggles. That stuff is fun

Yujuro is bad when he's casually owning everyone while the author masturbates about it

My favorite dumb “this man is badass” moment with Yujiro was when he cracked the bottom off a bottle of whiskey, poured it into a stein glass, skulled it, the smoked a whole cigar in one pull.

Mostly because it just made him look like Kramer, smoking and drinking at the same time.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Yujiro's the embarrassing dad that you don't want hanging around your friends because he's always trying to show off how cool he is, except he does it by beating them up

I like that Baki doesn’t have a normal kid following him around to play the Everyman like almost every fight manga (and manga/anime in general) ever. Although in true Baki fashion yujiro would accidentally kill them on purpose and then lecture Baki about having stronger friends.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Plutonis posted:

That's because that niche is filled by a random passerby/university teacher/retired martial arts teacher who does a longform explanation of whatever random insane thing is done

Don't forget uncontrollably releasing their bowels.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Jose posted:

you'd think the man from BC japan would have more of a reaction to seeing a black person

https://mangadex.org/chapter/497540/1

Wait...I thought this duder was just the current super sumo dude, not another "blast from the past".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Bushmeister posted:

unless his cloning was a thing that happened at the end of the Musashi arc, the current series hasn't really discussed the origins of thicc boy so far

Yeah I went back and read through and there's nothing about resurrection or cloning like in the Musashi arc. They just say he's the second sumo jam.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Pierson posted:

I got bored of the Musashi arc, how did it end?

The punchmen won.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Oh what the gently caress.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Sure. Fine. Whatever.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dias posted:

Sumoman just built a gravity training chamber in his own head.

Imagine if Goku actually had the power of imagination on his side, he'd be unstoppable.

Imagine if SumoMan had a muffin button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJxmSqdwIeM&t=9s

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Zzulu posted:

So far Baki is dominating our thicc boi

I would expect the sumo to be able to put up a bit more of a fight since he so effortlessly destroyed guys like Biscuit

Eh, it's like Nerdz said "Play by my rules so I can beat you". Biscuit and the other sumos were all playing the same game of pure strength vs pure strength. Baki isn't doing that (yet). Thicc boi can smash a boulder but if he tried to bear hug a wave it'll just crash around him.

We'll see how Dino form works though...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Truly Baki is the strongest wizard, the most powerful Punchmancer

I_cast_fist.mp4

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXE8LdXzeHM

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

Only Izou Motobe can "defeat" the "strongest" Sumo wrestlers.

With the power of friendship and this gun he found.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Well he should, but it should be between huge musclemen who find love through extreme violence

What do you think you're reading?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

As much as the tweening use was super glaring, it was pretty sparse and I didn't mind it too much. It's much better animation wise compared to parts 1 and 2.

Part 1 was just way too much 3d CGI, and it didn't get used well. Part 2 was like 90% just a slide show with almost not actual smooth animation. Part 3 at least had some real animation for the fights.

I didn't like how Grand Kaioh grandpa was drawn. He doesn't look wrinkly, just like he has some terrible tattoo.

Also I still love how Retsu is like "Here, diabetes your poison away."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Where does Gaia stack up? Cuz I always got the vibe that he was at least top 5.

I always ranked him with Motobe. Strong fighter, but reliant on surprise, asymmetrical conflict, and getting his opponent off balance in order to really take off. I don't think he could really match up with someone like Retsu or Orochi in a straight up fight because they 1) know his tricks and what to expect and 2) won't be egged on and rage the way he needs easily. He's C tier with an asterisk. (At least as of Baki Dou 2). Earlier on he was better but everyone else was on a more even power level then too, other than Yujiro.

The asterisk being: It's not like he couldn't do something against the the top tiers, but it'd have to be very well set up and super limited in time and scope. Sorta like Motobe's "saving" of Yujiro. Do the thing, delay the target, then GET THE gently caress OUT.

Plutonis posted:

Musashi > Pickle > Sukune > Olivia > Others

I count Pickle as a complete plot device and not a fighter, since he has just straight up hosed off from fights in the past for random reasons. His power level is also somewhat inconsistent.

I'd say: Musashi>Muhammad Ali Jr.>Olivia>Orochi/Retsu>Others.

Crain fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 21, 2020

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Plutonis posted:

I know Ali Jr was injured during the revenge matches but he was completely crushed by Jack at his top form

e: Unless you aren't counting Jack but I think he's below Musashi

Oh drat. That's right I forgot.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Not Yujiro

Hey now, he "lost" to the ancient chinese martial artist guy in the Maximum arc.

And he failed to utterly destroy Motobe when he "saved" him from Musashi.

That's probably as close as we're getting.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

The author just can't allow Yujiro to lose so even though Baki fought Yujiro harder than anyone ever before they had to settle the figth with imaginary soup conjuring instead of actual fighting

It's the fate of most battle manga with constantly increasing power levels. What do you really do next when your ultimate big bad strongest loses to the protagonist? Make a new one with absolutely no history or previous mention? There's already a mythical swordsman and a freaking super caveman running around that are weaker than Yujiro. Bring in a freaking alien?

Either the series fully ends with Baki kicking the poo poo out of Yujiro or we just never get that ending at all.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Lol the translation just dropped.

Trump maybe screwed up the US's chance to keep the truce going? Or maybe Yujiro just wants to do it another time.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

So just to be clear about what’s happening on that last page, Yujiro tells Bidem to take Trunp and leave. Bidem, viewing the strike on Trunp as an act of aggression against America, angrily refuses to make an oath. Then, perhaps being groggy from his nappy-nap, Yujiro gives an uncharacteristically deferential “Yessir.” Is that it?

An under-discussed characteristic of Biden is his overwhelming need for others to respect his Republican “friends” who he shook hands with in the 70s but now vote to sabotage America just to spite him.

Anyway, new chapter is up and we’re back in the arena:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1241183/1

Weird USPOL "succdems" bleedover?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Thoren posted:

This might be the worst arc of the entire series.

There were no stakes with this arc. Literally none. It was complete filler and the status quo at the start of the arc is the same as the end.

Like seriously, this whole thing was just...what? Super secret sumo man wants to throw down so let's set up a tourney? Its just an introduction arc to establish the new sumo flavored baki fighter?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Just kick him in the balls.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Glagha posted:

Ha, you fool. You think my balls are a weakness? I've installed teeth there too.

Titanium testicles that trap tricky tappers.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Don't forget the mystery man who managed to hold a door shut against Yujiro:

Maybe it was Tranquilizer-man as well

Motobe did it by pulling a sneaky one and hooking the door handle up to an industrial metal lathe.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Thoren posted:

Has an injury ever mattered in the Bakiverse?

Doppo's literal exploded face grew back.

Retsu was beating up pro boxers with a peg leg.

I guess Yuri Chakovsky retired or whatever because Hanayama grabbed him.

Nah. After Grappler Baki they were 100% super heros doing magic and poo poo. Even in Grappler Baki they were fighting mystical monkey beasts and poo poo. An injury only matters if Itagaki wants it to matter and only for as long as it matters for that plot point.

Retsu can just be revived whenever they want and he's dead and eaten. Jack has used "medical science" to become....whatever he is. There are no stakes. If Sumo boi wants to have his ears back his options range from having one of the many SUPER DOCTORS perfectly sew them back on to letting himself be euthanized while a new body is grown for him and then letting that spirit medium return his soul to the empty husk.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Plutonis posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/4294a016-684b-4a86-8c6f-cc0e8bb2a669/baki-gaiden-hana-no-chiharu

Oh hey a Chiharu Shiba spinoff

e: Holy poo poo the first half of the first chapter is incredibly homoerotic.

I have no memory of this character. How many drat fighters are in this series at this point?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

End of the Sumo....thing

Can we please be done with the paid advertisement arc?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I just want this arc to end and for them to move on to something else.

We've seen them fight a caveman from ancient times. We've seen them fight a resurrected Samurai Ghost Zombie.

Do it Itagaki.

You know you want to.

Bring on the Aliens.

(Alternatively they fight a loving Cryptid)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Glagha posted:

I mean isn't the yasha ape basically a cryptid? Like it's a bigfoot in essence.

I totally forgot about that.

Ok aliens it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Bisse posted:

Baki has a lot of weird poo poo in it and like, i've only seen the netflix animes, but the weirdest poo poo to me was the whole deal with Muhammad Ali Jr. The concept was super cool and a really interesting first half. Then suddenly someone pushed the 'ok enough coolness from this guy time to destroy him' button and
- everyone he previously fought and OHKO'd suddenly reappear to break his face and bones. "Oh i thought you were just having a play fight last time ok here's a real fight" ??? ok sure bro
- his own dad trains for months to reappear when he can barely walk thanks to broken bones to further beat the everloving poo poo out of him, this is a valuable lesson somehow
- he finally gets his shot against Baki and goes down in two hits accomplishing literally nothing
- afterwards he is crying like a baby saying he is not a fighter
- never reappears again

Like I can kind of understand the idea of showing the difference between trying to gain your fathers respect and actually living the Real Baki Fighting Life, but the execution is just so gross and meanspirited. Like what the gently caress.

Welcome to Baki. Just think of it as Pro Wrestling, sometimes people gotta job.

Itagaki also loves to pull out the "structured match" vs "street fighting" shtick on every new fighter and most of the main cast (well, everyone really save for Yujiro) but it just "doesn't work" for some of them because THEY'RE JUST SO loving GOOD AT FIGHT. Which yeah makes no sense since the main arena for combat is set up as this literal death hole where you're expected to try and kill your opponent.

It becomes extra funny whenever Itagaki remembers Motobe exists, who is the literal embodiment of that mentality, and has him roll up on a fighter with armor, weapons, traps on his person, traps in the immediate area, and then just straight up run the gently caress away after making them bleed and kicking them in the balls.

mabels big day posted:

I really do hope he likes the biting gimmick for this arc i wanna see jack eat some dudes

I really want to see where the gently caress he's going with that gimmick because like.....just don't try to punch his face. Just avoid the face. Though given the supposed jaw and neck strength he's been set up to have in order to make Bite-Fu a thing, he at least already has a counter to the Baki special attack of "punch the chin really really fast and knock them out for a second before they can react".

Crain fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 5, 2023