Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I also like it because their broomsticks make car 'brum brum' noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
So it's just a straightforward car-themed magical girl show? I might have to give it a shot, then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the end of episode 3 decided the show just couldn't survive without shoving everyone into swimsuits, but other than that you could show it on a Saturday morning.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Jostiband posted:

Mushishi ruling the Chill Corner with an iron fist
Natsume Yuujinchou does not mind. It just wants to get along with everyone.

drat I wish they would make another season. It is probably the second best boring show, next to Non Non Biyori.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SSNeoman posted:

Nah dude. Start it with Ai Ren.

Ai-Ren is for when you really want to hate yourself that much more

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Natsume is the best because he fights demons by making friends with them. The opposite is way more common.

Really, just about everyone in the show is really, really nice, and that's nice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
having watched all of it i wouldn't want natsume yuujinchou to be anything but what it is

however, i do wish that the "murky conspiracy between two philosophically opposed schools of demon-hunters" thing it briefly looked like around late season 2 / early season 3 was a real show of its own

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

So it's just a straightforward car-themed magical girl show? I might have to give it a shot, then.

That plus physics and astronomy as well.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Phobophilia posted:

I'm enjoying the heck out of Pleiades because it's jam packed full of amusing physics references.

They referenced the Time Dilation Clock display from Gunbuster, which was pretty rad.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I also like it because their broomsticks make car 'brum brum' noises.

Their broomsticks also have collision prevention technology.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Polikarpov posted:

They referenced the Time Dilation Clock display from Gunbuster, which was pretty rad.

dudermcbrohan posted:

Their broomsticks also have collision prevention technology.

Dammit, fine, it goes in my queue.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sakurazuka posted:

I still quite like Pleiades, it plays its magical girl ness 100% straight which makes it fairly unusual nowadays, outside of Precure, and has some really cool and occasionally surreal design work especially whenever they go into space. It does at least show that there is someone with a bit of talent left at Gainax.
My only 'problem' with it is that I'm not sure if they're deliberately yuri-baiting the two main characters despite one having an obvious guy love interest or it's just me being a weirdo with an inability to take close female friendships at face value.

It's a magical girl show sponsored by Subaru, it'd be surprising if there weren't lesbians in it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does Subaru have a long history of sponsoring things with lesbians in?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sakurazuka posted:

Does Subaru have a long history of sponsoring things with lesbians in?

Yep! They're kind of a stereotypically lesbian car brand.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, you learn something everyday.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Natsume Yuujinchou is one of my most favorite anime ever. It's just so relaxing to watch with the chill soundtrack and friendly ayakashi. :3: Out of all the seasons, I liked the second one the best due to Taki's introduction.

I wouldn't mind a fourth season. Or a fifth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thuryl posted:

Well, that adds a little extra context to Nanoha StrikerS.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love chill anime but I watched maybe 3/4 of Natsume Yuujinchou's first season and could not be bothered to finish it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Read/watch beelzebub, it's a super good dad manga/anime

read it all, good series

Everything Burrito posted:

Probably easier to find dad manga; check the last page or so of the shoujo thread there were some recommendations posted the other night.

yah i started that discussion :) and i read everything posted in it already as well

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Surely this must be the best news! Tonari no Seki-kun is being turned into a live-action jdrama this summer. 8 episodes, starting in July.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thuryl posted:

Weird.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There is 100% an internal Subaru document floating around an email chain that has a bullet point that says " - Yuri-bait"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which would be cool if there wasn't a dude getting in the way.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

darkgray posted:

Surely this must be the best news! Tonari no Seki-kun is being turned into a live-action jdrama this summer. 8 episodes, starting in July.

Huh. It's hard for me to see how that could be done.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So in Pleiades episode 8 they find an undiscovered gas giant larger than Jupiter at the edge of the solar system and accidentally cause a reaction turning it into a new star and thus Sol into a binary system. :psyduck: Wait, wasn't that the plot of 2010?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't care about magical girls at all, but that sounds interesting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

im gonna go to a car show and talk to all the subaru owners

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

So in Pleiades episode 8 they find an undiscovered gas giant larger than Jupiter at the edge of the solar system and accidentally cause a reaction turning it into a new star and thus Sol into a binary system. :psyduck: Wait, wasn't that the plot of 2010?

2010, the sequel to 2001?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

2010, the sequel to 2001?

Yeah, I seem to remember it being something about the monoliths turning Jupiter into a second sun but I haven't seen it in probably literal decades.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, I seem to remember it being something about the monoliths turning Jupiter into a second sun but I haven't seen it in probably literal decades.

I've never seen it but it sounds dumb, unsurprisingly.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i thought you guys were joking but there really is a sequel

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

Arthur C Clarke also wrote like three book sequels.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Uhm, it's been five years since 2010 mate, that's impossible.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

Yeah lol. Probably the second most unnecessary classic sci-fi sequel or remake behind Soderbergh's remake of Solaris

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

the Leonov is a really pretty & cool spaceship though! just mentioning that here for the record.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

No objections?

Excellent! I will update the Official ADTRW Season Thread Annals to reflect that independent the merits of 2010, the Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov is a kicking rad spacecraft that is good and cool, without a single dissenting vote.

It's really nice when we can all agree on something for a change. It gives me hope for both mankind, and anime!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I prefer this space ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xIWAHRq5w

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

That looks pretty cool. I like that the writing on the hull is distinctive over a long distance.
Unfortunately I already finished editing the records and missed your post. You'll have to submit it to the Council of Anime for a separate discussion and review. Sorry!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Uhh, clearly this is the best spaceship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Sakurazuka posted:

Just wanted to pipe in with some dumb astrophysics poo poo and Sol is already in a binary system with Jupiter.

• Locked thread