Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yotsuba nd azumanga daioh are some really good mangas i actually bought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PotU posted:

The Azumanga Daioh omnibus is the best $30 you'll ever spend :allears:. Solanin or Satoshi Kon's Opus are good too, if you want a self-contained book and not just volume 1-of-10+.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

PotU posted:

If you're ever gonna read manga, read those two.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nausicaa is a good starter manga

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

PotU posted:

My only problem with Yotsuba is that there's only 80 something chapters out and I finished them all in less than a week.

:negative:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Speaking of which, does anyone know whether there are any plans to publish Ryushika Ryushika for baka gaijin?
It's a really pretty comic and I'd kind of like to be able to browse through it. :(

Edit: And by that, I mean in english.
If there's nothing coming out, I'll probably break down and get my hands on the french stuff instead.

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 27, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

My only problem with Yotsuba is that there's only 80 something chapters out and I finished them all in less than a week.

:negative:

Read it again.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jostiband posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know whether there are any plans to publish Ryushika Ryushika for baka gaijin?
It's a really pretty comic and I'd kind of like to be able to browse through it. :(

Edit: And by that, I mean in english.
If there's nothing coming out, I'll probably break down and get my hands on the french stuff instead.

where do you even buy anime in holland. im assuming you're dutch

i only see it at movie festivals

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
A magical girl uses her magic powers to fly 0.25 light-years to the Oort cloud at 99.999% of light speed. After arriving she uses the power of friendship to instantaneously teleport her friends to her. Then they teleport back to earth. When do they arrive?

Answer: In the reference frame of the magical girl only half a day has passed due to time dilation. So she will be back on earth half a day after she left. Due to teleporting into her reference frame, her friends will travel back in time by almost 3 months.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

A magical girl uses her magic powers to fly 0.25 light-years to the Oort cloud at 99.999% of light speed. After arriving she uses the power of friendship to instantaneously teleport her friends to her. Then they teleport back to earth. When do they arrive?

Answer: In the reference frame of the magical girl only half a day has passed due to time dilation. So she will be back on earth half a day after she left. Due to teleporting into her reference frame, her friends will travel back in time by almost 3 months.

:psyduck:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Please stop spoiling the Madoka sequel

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Wow, relativistic physics becomes a lot easier to get a handle on if you mix in some moe. Thanks tony!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

HMS Boromir posted:

Please stop spoiling the Madoka sequel
I haven't gotten any Madoka vibes from that show yet. Outside of the space scenes, the plot could easily fit in with precure.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Reddit linked this, which is interesting.

A clustered representation of MAL recommendations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

rec and love got chu, floating off into the horizon

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

tonberrytoby posted:

I haven't gotten any Madoka vibes from that show yet. Outside of the space scenes, the plot could easily fit in with precure.

What show I have no idea what you're talking about

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fangz posted:

That typesetting is awful, yeesh.

What do the distances between any two points mean anyway?

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

What show I have no idea what you're talking about

the subaru sponsored magical girl show

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zandracon posted:

lol

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Davincie posted:

where do you even buy anime in holland. im assuming you're dutch

i only see it at movie festivals

Internet. :downsgun:

Depends on whether you mean anime specifically. I don't buy a lot of the stuff, so your guess is as good as mine. If I had to go looking for it, I'd probably start in areas with a high concentration of nerds like the university towns and search from there. Would probably be fastest to kidnap the biggest dweeb you can find and ask him where he gets his fix (or just ask). Really though, internet may be your best bet.

Manga is a lot easier in my experience. Just make sure you're in a big city and run into any store than could possibly be selling books. The seedier, more obscure, and front-for-real-estate-money-launderingier the store, the bigger the chance you can find some manga tucked away in a corner near other more respectable comics. I used to have some addresses in the Hague, but due to the nature of the business they don't tend to stay around for long so I'm not sure if they actually still exist. The anime rule still applies though, so try checking around universities and stuff.
Problem with this method is that they rarely keep a lot of stuff in stock, so there might be some gaps in the collection and whatever they have for product tends to be completely random. Still, shouldn't be too hard to stumble onto some Yotsuba or something.

e: Probeer rond de Nerdgracht in Utrecht. Ik neem aan dat ze daar tussen de stripboeken wel wat hebben staan.

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 27, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Zandracon posted:

th-they should've sent a poet

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anime chat thread I have a mission for you. In light of the Subaru moe show, draw or describe the moe Toyota Tercel.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Wrong thread buddy :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Strange Quark posted:

That typesetting is awful, yeesh.

What do the distances between any two points mean anyway?

Points are close together if MAL users recommend viewers of one show watch the other.

It's from
http://imgur.com/a/DuATF

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Zandracon posted:

Is the STI one the magical girl equivalent of :rice:?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

This is pretty cool. Neat indicator of which shows are most like each other.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Mushishi ruling the Chill Corner with an iron fist

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i can't find the dad anime part. where's all the anime about anime dads in there

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

i can't find the dad anime part. where's all the anime about anime dads in there

I think it's the little cluster between Psycho-Pass and Clannad.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm glad that K-ON is the biggest in the slice of life section

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

drat there's like 0 other dad anime in there. its all high schooler suddenly gets a kid (besides usagi drop ofc). how's aishiteruze baby? seems like the least bad of the bunch. also, Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father! seems like its really bad

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chumbler posted:

Anime chat thread I have a mission for you. In light of the Subaru moe show, draw or describe the moe Toyota Tercel.
Does the Moe Morris Marina look like the perfect moe character from Welcome to the NHK?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

drat there's like 0 other dad anime in there. its all high schooler suddenly gets a kid (besides usagi drop ofc). how's aishiteruze baby? seems like the least bad of the bunch. also, Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father! seems like its really bad

I have a big soft spot for Aishiteruze Baby. It's super cute and super shoujo.

I need to read the manga at some point.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Davincie posted:

Read/watch beelzebub, it's a super good dad manga/anime

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Probably easier to find dad manga; check the last page or so of the shoujo thread there were some recommendations posted the other night.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

You should start your manga adventure by reading Hinamatsuri.

Nah dude. Start it with Ai Ren.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I still quite like Pleiades, it plays its magical girl ness 100% straight which makes it fairly unusual nowadays, outside of Precure, and has some really cool and occasionally surreal design work especially whenever they go into space. It does at least show that there is someone with a bit of talent left at Gainax.
My only 'problem' with it is that I'm not sure if they're deliberately yuri-baiting the two main characters despite one having an obvious guy love interest or it's just me being a weirdo with an inability to take close female friendships at face value.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

My only 'problem' with it is that I'm not sure if they're deliberately yuri-baiting the two main characters despite one having an obvious guy love interest or it's just me being a weirdo with an inability to take close female friendships at face value.

It's both.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's what I figured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm enjoying the heck out of Pleiades because it's jam packed full of amusing physics references.

• Locked thread