Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they've already set up some stuff from the last set of books (not the bonus books)

and they included that girl from the spinoff novels too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah. Like, Reina in that last scene gave me the impression that she is absolutely not over Taki - talking about wanting to win Nationals to make his dream come true and conducting herself with the air of someone resigned to watching their true love from afar for the rest of time. There's still two episodes her for to get past that, but I'm not sure how the show is going to work that naturally into the events of the narrative, and if it fails entirely then the show will end with Reina - who the show has always framed largely as a second protagonist - in a profoundly immature and really unhappy-seeming place. Just seems like a really weird and frustrating story turn to me.
try reading between the lines my dude

"Taki-sensei loves his wife." present tense. Loves. He still loves her.

"I used to wish I was born earlier." Used to. Past tense. She realized that even if she was born earlier, Taki would have married his late wife, not her.

"I want to grant Taki-sensei's wish." Not because she wants to use it as some sort of in on him, but because she's someone she cares about, and he deserves it.

Reina has fully realized that nothing will ever come of it and nothing could have ever come of it. She's not over it, because that isn't how feelings work, but 'profoundly immature' it isn't. And it really isn't unclear.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's such a common trope that I feel it's something that's probably either a very common fantasy and/or an uncommon occurrence in reality.
Talk to anyone who has ever been a high schooler at any point in human history and they will probably mention a teacher they had some kind of interest in, even if it was just passingly thinking they were attractive.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 21, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but she is in love with him.

love doesn't have to be based on deep understanding. your body gets a rush of hormones when you look at somebody. that's what love is. relationships are built on mutual understanding and affection, but love is just you reacting to impulses your brain sends you, based on a variety of factors. Reina is someone who craves to be special, who's a little ostracized from the people around her, who wants to prove how important she is. A guy that's older than her but not so old as to be completely out of reach or impossible - or unappealing -, who's incredibly talented and gives her advice on how to push herself even farther, who tells her that she can be amazing if she works at it? It's not hard to realize why she'd be into him. And regardless of whether or not those feelings are realistic or based on anything all that meaningful, they mean the world to Reina. They're her feelings. That's how people work.

I'm not saying this whole subplot was executed perfectly - it was given a little too much lipservice for something that was never going to happen, and it probably should have been resolved closer to the beginning of this season instead of the end - but it makes total sense with the rest of Reina's character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

So the Yuri subtext lost to KyoAni's trolling?
we'll always have kumiasu

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can read between the lines a lot on Shuuichi based on how other people react to him. Like Knuckles laughing at him when Reina brushed him off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this one is the best

But for real, I like how many minor character details you can spot just from looking at all their background shots together. Like the fact that drills is dating the hot rich guy, or the one girl who's always wearing lipstick.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 22, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The background cast is one of Eupho's biggest hidden strengths, IMO. They all barely have any lines but they could have very easily been totally faceless, but instead they all have names and little quirks and a few implied relationships. There's enough there for them to seem real, which makes the band seem more real, which makes you care more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

it's one of kyoani's super powerful traits. they do it even in shows where you don't expect/notice it, like kyoukai no kanata
the one dude who kept making weird hand signals at the protag was the best part of kyoukai no kanata

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

Luckily she's not going to kiss you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zettace posted:

Apparently the reason for the Kumiko voice change in S2 is because the VA caught a cold when taping the first few episodes and had to stick with the voice even when she got over it.
that's the most fortunate cold in the history of the world

• Locked thread