Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dotJPG posted:

umm, really don't know where I was going with this

oh dear god that is terrifying, and yet really pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The episode was nice. No one is annoying, it was colorful, there was (a bit of) good music, and Asuka owns.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ideally, all female leads should be replaced with Chaika.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

the wildest rear end posted:

Good, I don't think I can take another cute girls doing nothing show. Not again.

The second season of Non Non Biyori disagrees.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

True, but their best work usually has unique aesthetics, like Lucky Star and Nichijou. Every other show looks like a more detailed version of Haruhi but nothing in that department will ever top Disappearance, but I'm glad they try.

They animated some really neat and pretty imagery in Hyouka, and the imaginary fight scenes in Chuunibyo were cool as hell. KyoAni always does something interesting in each of their shows.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

I am kinda liking this show.

Mainly because the script is challenging a lot of the aspects that you don't often see in this sort of thing - in particular the tension between having fun and being successful, and also the force of peer pressure. Still I suspect that by the end this will all fall by the wayside and they'll reach the nationals by the power of friendship or whatever.

Yeah it's got a surprisingly solid theme. I was expecting more SOL drama than something this solidly directed, story-wise.

On another note, I feel like KyoAni might be overdoing the cinematic shots and their usage of shaky-cams. It's not actively bad but it's occasionally awkward.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

My high school band accepted people who had no experience. Our band sucked rear end though. Also if you like the style of the show check out Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Nichijou and Lucky Star. K-On too maybe.

Also Hyouka and Chuunibyo (not season 2, that was bad).

As for school bands, my school had several different bands where one was the general band that newcomers could join and the others were higher level competitive bands. Same for the orchestras and choirs. Then again, I did go to a big suburban school in a relatively well-off area, but the budget has been dropping for a while now so I imagine compromises have been made.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

pandaK posted:

Music teacher best character

Asuka is the best character. :colbert:

I'm still amazed at how impressively good this show is so far. Unlike BBB or Ore Monogatari, there's nothing spectacular about this show, but it's just so drat solid that there's pretty much nothing bad I can say about it except that maybe some people won't really care about it because it's not their thing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, that was some spectacular cinematography. Shows adapted from novels are often good, but this series's strengths aren't just from the source material.

Yeah that whole bit was a really well directed scene in a show full of good direction.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Random lovely looking 3D bits when they think we're not paying attention seem to be the curse of a lot of anime recently.

It was bad to the point of amusing in Parasyte. It isn't at all bad here though, which I'm thankful for.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Taki seems like a pretty cool guy to have as a band director. Onwards to SunFes!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That physical part got me thinking, go girls in Japan really fret over their boob size that much, or is that just an anime thing?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was asking that seriously. I don't know any girls where I live that get insecure about boob size. There's plenty of the usual "I don't think I'm pretty enough," but never boob size.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm on the side that this was a good episode. It added a lot to some of the other main characters, like the prez and Asuka, and improved on some of the social dynamics of the band as a whole. I even like the romance setup. It doesn't feel all that forced, because honestly what's a show about a bunch of high school students doing regular things if there's no romance?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I watched all of Kanon despite thinking it was the dumbest poo poo in the world because of how beautiful all the snow was. KyoAni should do another cold climate show

I never got past a couple episodes because the eyes terrified me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I made it through Clannad, does that count for something?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
My god this episode is a work of art. I didn't think this show would be able to compete with BBB and Ore Monogatari, and yet now I'd undoubtedly put this show ahead of Ore Monogatari at least.

I'm so glad someone made a gif of this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

You had the chance to put this ahead of BBB or My Love Story and you chose My Love Story?

Mods can you just ban him now?

My problem with My Love Story is that it doesn't seem to have any sense of direction. If plot starts happening then my opinion will change.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Ore Monogatari being done by the same studio that did Chihayafuru makes a lot of sense.

That comparison doesn't mean much when talking about Madhouse.

Ore Monogatari doesn't really fit their MO.

It's true.

Also I don't think they could have quite pulled off the show's style.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I was going to say that Euphonium was the first original KyoAni story that they seem to have gotten right, but nope it's based on a novel/manga/whatever. Regardless I like this show and don't think it really matters who if any the main character ends up with.

I don't think they'll ever do something that's not an adaptation. It's pretty much their MO.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
From that description it doesn't sound like there was anything especially irksome about it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I mean the "student has crush on teacher" part that I assume is the part people were up in arms about apparently. Idk how you figured I was talking about Saphire.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

In the first spoilers that cropped up, "student has crush on teacher" was "student ends up in a relationship with teacher", and that is what people were up in arms about.

I assumed something got exaggerated somewhere along the line, and that sounds about right.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The more I think about that image, the more I laugh.

Someone please erase it from my brain before I die of laughter.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I still feel that way about this

I hate you, and so do my ribs.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Edit: Something awful must have happened to Asuka

I was very confused by this at first.

As for Reina getting the solo, I'm pretty sure she's going :unsmigghh: on the inside. She wouldn't give a gently caress if everyone else started hating her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

I would love if they address this, really. While Hazuki might believe that 'a job of a tuba is support', it's not necessarily a healthy attitude at the end of the day because it feels like she's sort of repressing her personal sense of disappointment by pushing that expectation on to others.

Agreed. I'm hoping she gets some form of redemption at the end.

• Locked thread