Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I am immensely disappointed at the lack of percussion. Dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

They are now listed in the instrument section! But...

...no character listed yet!

I guess I'll watch a preview or two more. Dammit Japan, I want a moe girl banging away on timpani!

Timpani: voted "Most Erotic Drum" three years running.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

here is a preview of the OP song and video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu3p4j_kWsQ i like the singer's hat

I like that it's not a tiny hat.

What's a solister?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I was always in the back (percussion) so I couldn't hear them play, but the actual folks who played French Horn in my high school were some of the chillest motherfuckers in the band.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Bizarre to see a Kyoani show streaming.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

aers posted:

Eh? Free, Chuu2 s2, Tamako, Kyokai were all streamed afaik. Amagi wasn't, though.

Hmm. It seems I don't remember so good late at night. Amagi and (I thought?) Tamako dominated my thoughts.

AnacondaHL posted:

As one who played both trumpet and percussion among other things, I too can confirm that playing percussion is essentially doing the jack-off motion at everyone to various degrees, with the crash cymbals being actual ejaculation at anyone within earshot.

I always liked spinning the cymbals over the backs of my hands.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Laughing so hard.

Gotta pee so bad.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was barely about legs at all.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
MtG lied to me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Welcome back, tremendous dickhead.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I am loving the generally grounded feel this has going on. As has been said, the conflict between laid back fun and high effort competition is very compelling. Braids-senpai (Aoi? I think that's right) lamenting her fleeting youth at seventeen years of age is pretty dumb, though.

Shut up-senpai is the best. She was fun in the first episode, but her energy in the second was fantastic.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that this is Japan. If you're not married at twenty-five, you're done as a woman. Youth can and does end hard and fast over there, which is why there's so much fetishisation of the glory days of high school.

Even with that, she has university ahead of her, "the childhood of the Japanese." It's pretty transparently the creators looking back with misty eyes, as I suspect most HS seniors, even in Japan, are looking forward rather than back.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Neeksy posted:

I thought her lamentations were more about the lack of progress the band made in her years there. She might have had high hopes of competing only to find that two years later, it's the same as it ever was.

I could see that. It makes her vote into more of a "let's just acknowledge what's been going on all along" sort of affair. I like that interpretation of her much better.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good episode.

I honestly can't imagine a high school band of any size - or really any group of, say, 20+ teenagers - functioning without proper direction. That teacher is way too laissez-faire. "You're bad. Fix that within a week. Bye!" I guess it's the difference between a club and a class. Why are these lazy kids in band if they aren't getting a grade/PE credit for it, anyway?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Refried Hero posted:

Maybe someone can answer this (maybe it's a cultural thing): do high school students (in Japan) who are relatively serious about music not buy their own instruments and practice at home? Pretty much my entire high school band had access to instruments to take home, if they didn't outright own their instrument. Just being somewhat serious about music, it makes sense to have an instrument to practice on. It could be a cultural thing though? Maybe?

Well, we saw... what's-her-name main character euph girl take hers home, so apparently it's an option.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Caught up on the last couple episodes. Good stuff. I am consistently pleased with how well the high school band experience has been captured.

I really like Kumiko as a protagonist. She's bumbling in a believable, relatable way, and without being the stereotypical "dojikko". She's just trying her best to get through a trying period in life.

I liked this shot.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

This episode was leg heaven

Good.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Also I hope Kumiko and her middle school trumpet friend kiss

Me too.

arisu posted:

Good episode.

Saw on another forum, apparently Rikka High School is based off of a real life high school, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzNmqRryCTQ

Actually nicknamed "Orange Demons" by other schools.

This is cool.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
A fine decision.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Everybody is gay for Asuka.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
"Stinker" is a bit strong, as it was certainly still enjoyable, but it was definitely a weak episode. I concur that they need to concentrate on the folks in the OP/ED.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Tag spoilers please, what the gently caress.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Wow. This episode was really, really gay.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

arisu posted:

After this episode I will rage if this show isn't yuri ending.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Utena is the best anime.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
They are a very good couple and I will go on a godzilla-style rampage through the kyoani offices if they do not kiss.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Endorph posted:

i think they more meant 'kiss' as shorthand for a romantic relationship

This.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also, I may be indulging in a bit of hyperbole.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
But Shuuichi is boring and Reina is not.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm not waking up yet. You can't make me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Kumiko?

Alternatively,

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
And then a movie that canonizes the heterosexual couple.

:sigh: I liked Tamako Love Story anyway.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Tamako only played the yuri in one direction. It never looked mutual. The biggest pairing was still Tamako X Mochi

Yes. Reason to have hope, perhaps.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

http://a.pomf.se/ntbmqs.webm

Seriously. There's something about Shuichi that just irritates the poo poo out of the audience. There is something about the way he is framed by the camera. He never starts off as the focus of the shots, and instead always slides into frame from off-screen, so it always feels like he's intruding on the Kumiko's and the audience's train of thought.

Personality wise, he has none. We have absolutely no idea what's going through his head, we only know him through Kumiko, and from that she can barely put up with the guy.

Kyoani is capable of making really hot guys. Oreki was hot, the Frees were hot, and here Gotou and Taki are hot. With Shuichi, Kyoani pulled out all the stops to make him the antithesis of hot.

And instead, Kousaka sets Kumiko's and the audience's hearts a-flutter.

Good compilation video. I hadn't caught that Kumiko actually had noticed him and consciously ignored him while she was walking and practicing her fingering. Similarly, that the euphonium is too heavy to carry a few blocks or whatever to practice with Shuuichi but not to carry who-knows-how-far just because Reina asked.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

it's kinda nuts how most of the people i know watching this think kousaka is boring and shuichi is just perfect for kimiko :psyduck:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

e: whaaaaaaaaat?

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 30, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yeah, Gotou's pretty great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Sapphire has sisterly love, Frozen-style.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

The more I think about that image, the more I laugh.

Someone please erase it from my brain before I die of laughter.

I still feel that way about this

dotJPG posted:

umm, really don't know where I was going with this

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It could definitely still go either way. The tone of this episode was much more favorable to Reina, but the things folks are saying point to Shuuichi. If they do go his route they need to give their relationship more development than "my friends think I like him so I guess I be a little more conscious of him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The audition results are exactly what one would expect.

• Locked thread