Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa

irl is good

http://will.illinois.edu/news/story/epa-designates-mahomet-aquifer-sole-source-aquifer

i got the ball rolling on this back when i was a law clerk 2nd semester 2L year. now it's four years later and our drinking water gets to be safer for the future.

it was maybe the first time i ever "took initiative" in my professional life and it was scary to ask my supervising attorneys if i could spend some time working on this but it really paid off for the whole community :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
high five

Stormyish

uhh fox tells me polution is GOOD for the environment
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/10/answer-to-speedy-tree-growth-lies-in-air-pollution-auburn-university-study/
last time I turned on the tv and I didn't a heart guy and a cool dog, just these trustworthy, god fearing folks

Stormyish

really though, good job making a mark in this world for the good, I envy your position

Wertjoe

That's awesome and congratulations

pig slut lisa

irl is good

thanks. one of the good side effects of this is that it makes it more difficult for highly toxic pcb waste to be trucked into my community, which in turn makes it slightly more likely that highly toxic pcb waste will be trucked into your community.

when i say good, i mean good for me, not you all.

Piso Mojado

woah, I used to work with the epa in southern Illinois doing wetland delineation. small world.

pig slut lisa

irl is good

Piso Mojado posted:

woah, I used to work with the epa in southern Illinois doing wetland delineation. small world.

:hf:

us epa or il epa?

Piso Mojado

pig slut lisa posted:

:hf:

us epa or il epa?

us via clean water act money

City of Glompton

good work psl!

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

pig slut lisa

irl is good

Piso Mojado posted:

us via clean water act money

nice. it's my understanding that in the us epa you at least occasionally get things like "funding" and "coworkers", whereas with the state it's pretty much just you sitting in an unheated shack.

Stormyish

do you at least get to see a bunch of nature stuff

Stormyish

I'd honestly kill for your job if it even meant I'd get to see a tree every so often

alnilam

good job psl! :byob1::hf::byob1:

also

Stormyish posted:

uhh fox tells me polution is GOOD for the environment
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/10/answer-to-speedy-tree-growth-lies-in-air-pollution-auburn-university-study/
last time I turned on the tv and I didn't a heart guy and a cool dog, just these trustworthy, god fearing folks

lol

ty manifisto

pig slut lisa

irl is good

i'm not a state epa guy, i've always worked for the city. so no natures for me, but i work right downtown which is fun cause i'm an urban planner and i like my city very much, especially how it's changed over the last ~15 years.

tao of lmao

cool stuff psl

Piso Mojado

pig slut lisa posted:

nice. it's my understanding that in the us epa you at least occasionally get things like "funding" and "coworkers", whereas with the state it's pretty much just you sitting in an unheated shack.

ugh our budget was comically abyssmal, as was our pay. that job sucked sooo hard. glad you were able to accomplish some good with them though, congrats.

Stormyish

was the work at least okay

alnilam

nixon started the epa (at the time, without much teeth) not because he gave a poo poo but because he wanted to pre-empt some political opponent of his who was campaigning on environmental issues

i can't remember the guy's name nor can i find it by googling so nixon's strategy worked out pretty well i guess

ty manifisto

pig slut lisa

irl is good

Stormyish posted:

yeah i would be curious to hear more about your work atcg, if you want to share

pig slut lisa

irl is good

ps did i get these in the right order

alnilam

luckily the epa quickly went from "ceremonial thing to make nixon look good" to "actual thing that does stuff" so take that nixon

ty manifisto

pig slut lisa

irl is good

when this aquifer thing was in its infancy i went to a few meetings where a bunch of conservative farmers were yelling at the epa guys (down from the big city no less :bahgawd:) for not regulating the water enough. it was very surreal and highly entertaining.

alnilam

most farmers actually care a lot about the environment but can't afford to treat it responsibly because centralized agriculture pays them poo poo and doesn't account for the cost of proper land management etc :smith:

ty manifisto

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

you've done an amazing thing, psl, great job!

Meatsplosion

+3 Meat Elemental
you can dump your pcbs in my yard instead op

just pour em anywhere and dont track dog poo poo into my trailer

XyloJW

Stormyish posted:

pig slut lisa posted:

yeah i would be curious to hear more about your work atcg, if you want to share
I'm actually studying environmental geochem, so I would love to hear this, too.

AAB

Neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

pig slut lisa posted:

when this aquifer thing was in its infancy i went to a few meetings where a bunch of conservative farmers were yelling at the epa guys (down from the big city no less :bahgawd:) for not regulating the water enough. it was very surreal and highly entertaining.

this warms the cockles of my bitter cynical liberal heart :unsmith: thank you psl. there is hope for negotiation and equal ground after all

• Locked thread