Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Toddy please stop invading other peoples' perfectly fine LPs and defiling them with your demonic taint posting from your voice hole.

It is I, toddy, renowned Bayonetta cosplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Camel Pimp posted:

I didn't realize that Grappa referred to an alcohol and not, say, a euphemism for a body part. I'm kind of disappointed.

Grappa is wine that hates you.
Grappa is the drink you trick friends into ordering at Italian restaurants/bars and watch their face contort after consumption.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

yoshesque posted:

Rumrusher on Twitter also sent me this gem:

THE DREAM IS COLLAPSING

Rumrusher's art has always been amazing.

This appeals to my sense of "one day I will murder Tingle" just fine. Thank you!

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I thought it was pretty neat how they coded what was basically a TAS script for the purpose of testing individual levels without external control. Testing is one of the most dreaded parts of QA in games development (mostly due to time and cost constraints) and it's neat that they reached mostly positive results from making that substitution.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
When the graphics canvas is cleared it probably only clears images drawn to the front-face of polygons. In the vacuum of space where nothing is supposed to be drawn the canvas never clears so it renders a new 3d image over the top of the old one and repeats iteratively until a menu state is called or the program can draw a frame with actual models and textures in that pixel space.

Just a guess but I've replicated it on a smaller scale before using either JOGL or DX9. It's a common fault in graphics programming and it makes sense as to why it is happening - it's not a hardware glitch or nothin. People who are actual graphics programmers can explain it in better English than I can.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

GuavaMoment posted:

I'm no longer mildly annoyed at the 2GB download because I too was curious what that looked like on youtube, and the answer was garbage. The effect is lost on youtube resolutions.

Honestly I cannot blame youtube servers for messing up encoding 60fps of that glorious hellscape.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
They should've put him in a penguin mascot suit for the whole game and replaced all his lines with "noot noot". Unless they already did that and I'm spoiling something.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Edmond Dantes posted:

drat, I really need to start downloading the sources; the previous videos were not that bad in youtube, with the exception of glitchland, but the quality was making GBS threads the bed really bad in this one for some reason.

A lot of people complained when YouTube's re-encoder system got worse with the introduction of capabilities of 60fps video and it turns out it can't even get 60fps video right either.

The alternative is probably yoshesque uploading videos as close to their upload file size limit as possible and hahahah Australian internet.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I have no idea what you're talking about.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Ramengank posted:

The health/magic bug when you enter a Muspelheim probably works exactly as you said in the video, though it really bugs me how it would've escaped playtesting. Speaking from a programmer's perspective, this should be a fairly easy fix; if the health/magic meters from outside are stored in memory somewhere, it should be trivial to have them updated to add in the bonus from a Witch Heart or a Moon Pearl (well that really depends on how they coded the system I guess).

I can't remember if it was the most recently posted update or the next one but Yoshesque explains how the checkpoint system works in this game vs Bayo1 and I'm starting to see a little bit of muddle in the mixture, though I still agree it doesn't seem too hard to fix.

Ramengank posted:

The walking-on-stairs thing is also really jarring whenever it's pointed out, and would usually be fixed with Inverse Kinematics. IK is commonly used to align joints to their proper positions on uneven terrain. Bayonetta's center of gravity would follow a basic slope up the staircase, to allow smooth movement upward, and the feet would land on a more detailed mesh containing each individual step. Proper application of IK would have the legs move and rotate to the proper orientation to support that without moving the center of gravity. That actually is a pretty difficult problem to solve in practice, but I wouldn't think that beyond the capabilities of PG to implement. Perhaps there were time constraints and in most cases it looked good anyway so they focused on other things.

I thought IK was mostly confined to non-static animations (procedurally generated and the like) which is why you don't see it too often used in games. I've seen a few games do it but they're the super high-tech ones like MGS4 and Uncharted 3 (iirc).

Pesky Splinter posted:

At least the underwater levels aren't DMC2 levels of bad (barely any control over character momentum, super slow, dodgy camera, etc), but yeah, aside from a bit of spectacle from the aerial fights (which is more a distraction than anything else), neither add anything to the game. \:

How about just do what that one little section in DMC1 did where you're underwater and the combat mechanics don't change at all and you murder skulls for freedom.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Alexeythegreat posted:

I don't know anything about Bayonetta, should I start with finding an LP of the first game or am I fine starting off with this LP?

She hid a link to it in the OP but if you want to see Bayonetta 1 she LP'd it already http://lparchive.org/Bayonetta/

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

yoshesque posted:

Also, a reminder about who the real hottie in this LP is:

Well if I disappear at least we all know I've been kidnapped by youtube commenters. Reason: "Sex Voice(?)"
Send help.

Wait is that the same person that said we were both Morgan Freeman? I recall that being a comment we screamed about but I may have been drugged for the case mentioned previously.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Takemikazuchi is the thunder god (glorious nippon mythos) and also the original mythical sumo wrestler. He is also known for performing sweet pins and holds on giant catfish.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

That's perfect!

Nalesh posted:

We just need someone to start an okami lp, and an anarchy reigns lp to have every type of game that platinum's done going at the same time :v:

Anarchy Reigns nooooooo

Nalesh posted:

Also about mgs5, what I understand is that he is fired, but they contracted him to finish the game, which seems like a really odd way of doing things.

Publishers contracting developers is no strange thing, I would've assumed it was the norm in that industry.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
If people considered measuring tape as a whip in an earlier time I would have demanded a Home Improvement game in the style of Castlevania. Alas.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Oh man UNIEL is so good. It's so upsetting playing against Merkava (or Gordeau) when you main Vatista and Hilda (UNIEL's very own sassy witch lady) though.
French Bread titles in general are usually excellent though (RBO, Melty Blood AC/AA).

e: vvv Ah, thought the font stuck out.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 15, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Next update has me being dank sick, on cold meds and giggling like an idiot I do not apologize in advance.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Kamiya reaches his absolute top of his game when a giant robot suit does Bayo poses and dances. He will not be able to beat that, I already ran the numbers on it. I'm a professional.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I may only remember bits from the plot mess of the first game but I will happily talk about how great Iron Chef is for as long as the conversation allows.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
*yoshesque grabs the thread with a look of raw terror* "Look ok I've seen some poo poo, heard some poo poo. I'm above this now."

Seriously though after watching the internet fire all cannons at her valid and fine opinion at the start of the thread and then suddenly the internet being super passive about it at the end (I'm talking LP and YouTube here) I don't see why people are surprised she's basically screwing with them at this point.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Honestly at some point I myself should probably sit down and physically play through the game myself, as a lot of yoshesque's criticisms of the game are a feel thing moreso than a look thing which is really hard to show in a "look don't touch" format like this. I can sit down and post about it after the final update goes up if people want that but also :effort:. Our conversation about the game as a whole at the end was a bit abrupt because Yoshesque's internet crapped out during the recording :australia: and to be honest I could ramble about design quirks for as long as a keyboard or mic is in front of me.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I realized the way my commentary has gone completely off the rails is an adequate reflection of the witch trial videos from the first thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I'm glad yoshesque got flicky in on that video because he was pretty cool at that agdq I watched one time and is good at hanging poo poo on things.

• Locked thread