Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I'm fostering a 9 year old miniature dachshund who was surrendered to our local shelter with an upper respiratory infection. She saw the vet the first day I had her and was prescribed a week's worth of Clavaseptin, which we finished about two weeks ago. She's had a decent appetite and has started to go for walks around the block, but I got home today and she wouldn't eat her dinner, is staying in her basket and her breathing is laboured and congested sounding. Yesterday she was perky and doing her dinner time dance (dinner time is so exciting she jumps around in circles).
We don't have an after-hours vet in my town, and I can't get to another town because access from here is by ferry, and I've missed the last one. I will get her in to the local vet first thing in the morning, but I'm hoping for advice on keeping her comfortable through the night. Yes, the shelter knows - I work there and I've informed my boss, but I'm also relatively new and inexperienced, hence asking the internet for advice!
She's awake and looking around but isn't keen on moving out of her basket. She's got gummy eyes which I'm wiping with a warm facecloth, but I'm concerned about her breathing. It sounds like a heavy cold would in a person and she's breathing through her mouth, but not panting, so I suspect she has a blocked nose.

Is there anything dog safe or dog dosable I can get at the pharmacy over the counter? Should I steam up the bathroom and put her in it? Should I syringe water if she isn't drinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
Hmm, what are you going to do if your dog has a medical emergency in the middle of the night? Kind of weird there's no e-vet around you.

She'll probably be fine without water for one night. After all, many people crate their dogs at night. I'd just try to keep an eye on her. I'm not a vet but the steam thing sounds like a good idea.

• Locked thread