Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

DemeaninDemon posted:

The academia grind was the reason I decided against a PhD. Why the gently caress would I spend my 20s pursuing a degree with little chance of true job satisfaction until I'm over 50?

Generally idealism and a passion for whatever you want to study. That's what roped me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lotka Volterra posted:

Generally idealism and a passion for whatever you want to study. That's what roped me in.

Me too, though I must admit I've taken to teaching much more than I ever thought I would.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Swift Bike Veterans for Truth

Thread title candidate spotted!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

U of Wisconsin eliminating tenure wouldn't change anything in any other universities though, it would just make them that much less competitive for talent than every other university, and it's a drat shame because U of W is definitely one of the more highly regarded state universities.

Aside from the funding issues, I'd think it would pretty much eliminate the chance they could recruit anyone decent to be a professor there.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Reminder that CBS is every bit as bad as Fox News

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DemeaninDemon posted:

The academia grind was the reason I decided against a PhD. Why the gently caress would I spend my 20s pursuing a degree with little chance of true job satisfaction until I'm over 50?

In fairness you're not really expected to get a PhD unless you're already crazily devoted to your work.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Boon posted:

Apparently John Kerry broke his femur in a bike accident in France. Stable, not life-threatening.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/31/europe/geneva-john-kerry-bike-accident/index.html

A femur is one hell of a bone to break...

"Who among us has not endured injury whilst traversing the streets of Gaul bestride a velocipede?" - John Kerry, trying to explain his injury to regular Americans

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Eat the rich

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

That is one of the more despicable things a TV network has put together, jesus christ.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

on the heels of revealing they had long been fudging forensic hair matching results, the FBI is now quietly letting it be known that their DNA matching algorithm has been off since 1999

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Given that nothing happened when it was found out that MA's forensic testing unit had falsifying evidence to convict people, don't expect anything to come from this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This just makes me happy I gave up watching TV a long time ago so I can safely say I have nothing to do with that station. Eat the rich.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shifty Pony posted:

Tenure is a different thing than the old professor who has been there forever. Age discrimination less have pretty much eliminated mandatory retirement. As a result the previous generation refusing to retire is a big problem in a lot of fields because it means very few openings for people trying to start their careers.

In academia a tenure track position is basically unattainable because so many of them are occupied by 70 year olds who refuse to retire. Anyone who wants to teach instead has to settle for a bunch of adjunct positions where you have to be retired every semester. If you want to see why tenure is important look at the adjunct system: there is evidence that adjuncts fail significantly fewer people because being rehired is highly affected by student reviews, and people tend to be unhappy with the person who failed them. They are also terrified of saying anything bad about the University or whistle blowing because they won't get their contract renewed.

There is another option for standing up to admin: many adjuncts are unionizing, even in private colleges and universities.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

And it could all be fixed in an instant if US News made "percentage of student credit hours taught be adjuncts" a negative on their ratings.

Speaking of which, when exactly did the US News college rankings go from an annual dick-waving contest meant to drive subscriptions for a magazine nobody would read otherwise to one of the most important factors driving university administrations nowadays?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Speaking of which, when exactly did the US News college rankings go from an annual dick-waving contest meant to drive subscriptions for a magazine nobody would read otherwise to one of the most important factors driving university administrations nowadays?

Well these days the college reviews are the only print issues they actually produce.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There is another option for standing up to admin: many adjuncts are unionizing, even in private colleges and universities.

That doesn't work for faculty at public universities in states that forbid government entities from engaging in negotiations with organized labor.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

My partner is an admissions counselor at an art school and she tells me that they go into serious panic mode if there is any chance of losing their current high US News & World Report ranking. They base their advertising slogan off of it and everything, it's nuts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

my bony fealty posted:

My partner is an admissions counselor at an art school and she tells me that they go into serious panic mode if there is any chance of losing their current high US News & World Report ranking. They base their advertising slogan off of it and everything, it's nuts.

Well, it's not really tenable to rate an entire university but people need/desire some sort of measurement. I mean granted an art school is more concentrated than a university, but still.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trabisnikof posted:

That doesn't work for faculty at public universities in states that forbid government entities from engaging in negotiations with organized labor.

So those States killing tenure is the least of their problems, if you ask me. :shrug:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Isn't this a British show?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

"Who among us has not endured injury whilst traversing the streets of Gaul bestride a velocipede?" - John Kerry, trying to explain his injury to regular Americans

"Velocipede" is loving metal.

This however is depressing. :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mo_Steel posted:

"Velocipede" is loving metal.

This however is depressing. :(
I think that CSI has singlehandedly maintained the illusion that criminal forensics are reliable.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

ThirdPartyView posted:

Given that nothing happened when it was found out that MA's forensic testing unit had falsifying evidence to convict people, don't expect anything to come from this.

there's been like hundreds of cases overturned in MA due to annie dookhan's fuckery, what are you talking about

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Right about when the states slashed higher ed budgets (or just stopped increasing them to keep up with demand) and suddenly public Universities found that their stated missions of providing reasonably priced in-state education were completely impossible without pulling in a ton of rich students willing to shell out big bucks for out-of state or out-of-country tuition. Losing ranking or not having a luxury dorm might be the difference between Little Jimmy/Susie Moneybags deciding to go somewhere else and completely killing the possibility of the school getting Mr. Moneybags Sr to sponsor a new research lab wing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

So teeth, hair and DNA matching have all been made up apparently. What's next, fingerprints turning out to not exist?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is worse than Duck Dynasty and Keeping up with the Kardashians combined. Right at the top of my poo poo list, alongside Undercover Boss and Mystery Diners and its ilk.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

In fairness you're not really expected to get a PhD unless you're already crazily devoted to your work.

So.. So very true. There was a reason my advisor didn't have kids nor wanted them.

Jesus gently caress that CBS show. They just moved up past Mormon patriarchal church leaders on the block list.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 31, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

Why the gently caress would I spend my 20s pursuing a degree with little chance of true job satisfaction until I'm over 50?

Is there a job where this isn't the case? Other than like, genius entrepreneur.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DemeaninDemon posted:

So.. So very true. There was a reason my advisor didn't have kids nor wanted them.

Most of my professors have families. :shrug:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

duz posted:

So teeth, hair and DNA matching have all been made up apparently. What's next, fingerprints turning out to not exist?

about that...

I mean really fingerprints are an example of the coastline paradox, wher the distinctivenss is a fucntion of the resolution you bring to it because of the fractal nature of the object. But yeah.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 31, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Right about when the states slashed higher ed budgets (or just stopped increasing them to keep up with demand) and suddenly public Universities found that their stated missions of providing reasonably priced in-state education were completely impossible without pulling in a ton of rich students willing to shell out big bucks for out-of state or out-of-country tuition. Losing ranking or not having a luxury dorm might be the difference between Little Jimmy/Susie Moneybags deciding to go somewhere else and completely killing the possibility of the school getting Mr. Moneybags Sr to sponsor a new research lab wing.

It's like an ouroboros. They need more wealthy students to pay higher tuition every year in order to pay for all the brand new buildings and amenities they put up in part to look good in the glossy mailers they send out to compete for wealthy students.

Meanwhile the adjuncts and grad students using the brand new labs and research wings are on food stamps, but Jimmy and Susie Moneybags have luxury dorm suites and a climbing wall in the Student Union, so the system works!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Is there a job where this isn't the case? Other than like, genius entrepreneur.

If we continue with job satisfaction as a favorable balance of enjoyment, compensation, and security then yes many. Early academic and education lacks the later two.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DemeaninDemon posted:

Jesus gently caress that CBS show. They just moved up past Mormon patriarchal church leaders on the block list.

It's a tradition as old as television

quote:

Using the classic applause meter, as did many game and hit parade-style shows of the time, Queen for a Day had its own special twist: Each contestant had to talk publicly about the recent financial and emotional hard times she had been through.

The interview would climax with Bailey asking the contestant what she needed most and why she wanted to win the title of Queen for a Day. Often the request was for medical care or therapeutic equipment to help a chronically ill child, but sometimes it was as simple as the need for a hearing aid, a new washing machine, or a refrigerator. Many women broke down sobbing as they described their plights, and Bailey was always quick to comfort them and offer a clean white handkerchief to dry their eyes.

Queen for a Day shared much in common with two other shows of its era, Strike It Rich (on radio and television from 1947 to 1958) and It Could Be You (on television from 1956 to 1961).[1]

A third similar show was On Your Way (on the DuMont Television Network and ABC from 1953 to 1954), which also used contestants with unfortunate stories, giving them transportation tickets as a reward for correct answers to quiz questions.

The major difference between Queen for a Day and these other "sympathy shows" was that they asked their poverty-stricken contestants to win prizes within a conventional quiz show format, with the winner essentially earning the prizes through his or her cleverness. Queen for a Day, on the other hand, dispensed with the quiz-show format entirely: All the contestants were women, and the only way a woman could win was by sincerely touching the heart-strings of the live female audience, who would then award her the greatest volume on the "applause meter."

quote:

Strike It Rich is a controversial game show that aired on American radio and television from June 29, 1947, to December 27, 1957 on CBS and NBC.[1] People in need of money (such as for medical treatment or a destitute family) appeared and told their tale of woe, then tried to win money by answering four relatively easy questions. Each player would be given $30 and bet any of their bankroll on answering each question after being given the category. If the contestant didn't win any money, the emcee opened the "Heart Line", which was a phone line to viewers who wished to donate to the contestant's family.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

duz posted:

Good News! :suicide:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

If we continue with job satisfaction as a favorable balance of enjoyment, compensation, and security then yes many. Early academic and education lacks the later two.
My friend just finished his PhD and he tells me that he's applying for a "guest lecturer" position that is supposed to last two years.

there were a lot of reasons I got out with my MA and didn't try to go on, but one of them is that they don't even pretend like you have stable employment or advancement coming.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Meanwhile the adjuncts and grad students using the brand new labs and research wings are on food stamps,

And non-faculty university staff. I'm a university librarian and even by the standards of librarians I'm paid peanuts to work on a very lovely campus with dorms significantly more luxurious than my apartment.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can someone link me to a good refresher on what the FREEDOM Act is/does?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

My friend just finished his PhD and he tells me that he's applying for a "guest lecturer" position that is supposed to last two years.

there were a lot of reasons I got out with my MA and didn't try to go on, but one of them is that they don't even pretend like you have stable employment or advancement coming.

Yeah dude I hear ya. K-12 teachers have it better in that regard since, depending where you go, one can find a position. Except with the exception of like Wyoming a teacher gets paid poo poo.

Remember teachers and academics drive advancement more than most fields. New material to drive transistor size closer to the limit? Bet your rear end some underpaid coffee addict probably discovered it! Then teachers keep kids from becoming bumbling idiots.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Wow, a reality show worse than The Swan. I didn't think that was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Shifty Pony posted:

This is generally the case. My small technology university over here in Missouri gets a lot more money from out of state and international students from China vs. in state tuition.

• Locked thread