Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Not entirely sure starting a war with the US would be advisable under any circumstances. They massively outmass and outnumber us in both BBs and BCs, along with somehow having over double the tonnage in CLs despite having less than us!

Alternatively, DO IT! DO IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

try to start a war, any war will do
Yes! France needs even harsher treaties! Other nations need some kind of hope at least.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Wartime Espionage Act

In order to promote better relations for the relieving of treaties, intelligence spending is to be set to high for all nations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheDemon posted:

Les Imbéciles proposes the following new cruiser design:

Modern Light Cruiser Initiative

Build a new class of CL, with a minimum of 6 ships and a maximum of the Admiral's discretion, to the following specifications:
- 8000 tons
- 30 knot top speed, oil fired
- all or nothing "Flat Deck on Top of Belt" armor configuration
- 2" belt, conning tower, turret face, and turret top armor
- 1.5" deck armor
- 0" secondary armor
- three double 8" turret main armament, with at least 120 rounds, increased elevation
- eight 6" secondary armament in single turrets
- best fire control, two positions
- two broadside swivel torpedo launchers per side, maximum size available
If tonnage remains,
- increase deck armor to 2"
- add a fourth double 8" main turret
- add torpedo launchers
- add secondary guns
- add up to 50 mines
- add tower armor

Sample Design:

If we can cram 2" deck armor I'd be overjoyed but it's basically not possible if we're using dual turrets like we should be. Frankly, I'd be surprised if we got these into a battle before game end, but we definitely won't be getting BBs to market before 1925 so they're probably the quickest shipbuilding improvement we can make, and we need to start them right now.

You can get 2" decks on there if you drop the six inches down to something like 4.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

They're going to explode from any serious firepower either way. The 6" at least give them more range to harry DDs etc with.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

yeah, late game fleet light cruiser panda gets smashed with depressing frequency. It's all the battlecruisers tooling around. However, a 2 inch deck gives good protection from 8-inch guns, so it's more of a thing for late game light cruiser engagements. Really a judgement call. If you're one of the nations with less money, it's probably better to just forgo the armor and build smaller fleet light cruiser with more torpedoes and skip 8-inch guns entirely.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm reading castles of steel now and it's surprisingly entertaining. 5 stars would read and now, might read again.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Modern Light Cruiser Initiative passes

quote:

Build a new class of CL, with a minimum of 6 ships and a maximum of the Admiral's discretion, to the following specifications:
- 8000 tons
- 30 knot top speed, oil fired
- all or nothing "Flat Deck on Top of Belt" armor configuration
- 2" belt, conning tower, turret face, and turret top armor
- 1.5" deck armor
- 0" secondary armor
- three double 8" turret main armament, with at least 120 rounds, increased elevation
- eight 6" secondary armament in single turrets
- best fire control, two positions
- two broadside swivel torpedo launchers per side, maximum size available
If tonnage remains,
- increase deck armor to 2"
- add a fourth double 8" main turret
- add torpedo launchers
- add secondary guns
- add up to 50 mines
- add tower armor

Beat up on Italy passes

quote:

go to war with Italy ASAP. We will use our destroyers and cruisers to ruin their fleet.

The new cruiser designs are not as good as originally hoped, as we lack a few key bits of technology, but they meet the minimum. The secondary turret is a compromise, as we lack superimposed turrets for light cruisers.
Four of these ships are ordered.

Industrialization continues.

We begin to replace our submarine fleet.

Part of me is sad we never go to see the other ships of the work. And sink them.

Tensions with Austria Hungary begin to rise.

If only we could build something to use these.

We shall be the terror beneath the seas.

Wait, someone is still building battleships in this day and age?

The new ships will need a refit it seems.

The Japanese are getting some big ships out.

This is a form of torture.

So many big, beautiful ships. And none for us.

Better guns, lighter armour.

Looks like the Italians believe in big guns over armour.

We slowly begin to slip behind in the race.

Our spies begin to bring in information from the hated British. I order two more light cruisers.

Our torpedoes get more deadly.

The subfleet continues to grow.

I really wish our shipyards were more efficient.

The USS United States? Really?

Oh look, an event, finally. I send a battleship as well – people need to remember we are still relevant.

The Americans are eclipsing the British – thanks to the losses we inflicted on them in the last war.

Tensions rise.

We have to keep up morale somehow!

The Colbert[i] wins.

So many new ships.

A recession hits, and we continue to argue for strong Naval budgets.

[i]Marco Polo
sounds like a dangerous name for a warship.

Our capital ship force is now the smallest in the world.

Slightly better 14” guns are ours.

The Austrians are building another armoured cruiser. An odd choice.

We are on a roll with the 14” guns!

Even more subs are commissioned.

Our shells get better.

The Americans just wont stop laying down ships!

The British have learned to armour their ships it seems.

Wait, the Japanese can afford to scrap a Colossus?

It looks like our designers can't get anything right.

At least she is a modern light warship – something we have been without for a long time. I order two more.

She is soon joined by three sisters. Two more and nine months out, and the final two are twenty one months away from completion.

I shall return this to you now, we still have good funding.

Tensions are high, but without war, I will retire soon.

The British have crippled us, we have a smaller capital ship fleet than any other nation.

To make matters worse, all our Colossi are now old ships. The British stole or scrapped the replacement vessels. Only two battlecruisers are considered new. Our battleships are now five to ten thousand tonnes lighter than the current average.

Time is running short. I already plan my memoirs “How the Admiralty destroyed France.”

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Grey Hunter posted:

The British have learned to armour their ships it seems.

That's not a British battleship. That's that a British battleship at all!

Man, even the AUSTRIANS are better than the French now. What a disgrace.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
This kind of treaty is how WW2 got started. Honest.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^ The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Rule the Waves 2 - Rule Harder: Vive La Commune de la France! (1925 - 1950) ^^

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Do we still have gun research set to high?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
this game has more retarded peace treaties than any other game

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

this game has more retarded peace treaties than any other game

Historically abutment

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I just noticed that the USA's newest 'destroyer' weighs in at over 13,000 tonnes. Craziness.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 3, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Speleothing posted:

I just noticed that the USA's newest 'destroyer' weighs in at over 13,000 tonnes. Craziness.

Clearly it's not a torpedo boat destroyer, but a uh, destroyer destroyer.

Or possibly a cruiser destroyer.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Prav posted:

Clearly it's not a torpedo boat destroyer, but a uh, destroyer destroyer.

Or possibly a cruiser destroyer.

By capability you could make a strong argument that the Burkes are plenty capable of operating independently and would fit well as cruisers as a result. They're also probably the most capable family of surface combatant in the world (including the Japanese and Korean derivatives) so they can be whatever kind of destroyer they want.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

DDG, CLG, DDH (FFH?)... If only it were nuclear powered, a DDN. :getin:

A DDCLHNG.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Has this LP been abandoned? I might be able to do one.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Nothing stops you from just starting your own LP regardless if this thread is currently being updated or not so if you want to start one go ahead. There is no such thing as only one LP of game x allowed.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
If the game is still around I want to see the design for that 1924 US pre-dreadnought. I've seen old style armored cruisers get built into the 1920s, but never AI nations building pre-dreadnoughts when they had the technology for dreadnoughts.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

No further laws come my way, so I continue on. Three more Les Imbeciles class ships are ordered.

Lighter ships!

Possible war with Austria-Hungary!

Germany get two Colossi in a month. I cry inside.

We may get one last war in.

More money for us!

I we can't build bigger ships, I don't see why anyone else should!

They go ahead and lay down another Colossus.

I order ships to the Med, we shall smash them in no time!

The War begins, and we are able to steal a British ship. It seems that the Royal Navy has been making use of our idle shipyards.

We must defend our convoys!

A ship is sighted immediately. But we have two Colossi here, so we are in a good position. The enemy turn away and night quickly falls, so there is no combat.

It looks like the British like the La Guillotine class!

Triple bottoms!

The economic war starts, and we shall strangle they enemy quickly!

We raid their coast.

The new light cruiser class is at the front, they sail around overnight before making contact.

We begin to trade fire.

Something sinks offscreen.

We win, but I would rather smash the enemy in a big battle.

The points are mounting up.

Dammit, they get a larger ship rebuilt.

Our raiders and subs really go to town, this will hurt trade in Austria-Hungary.

The more numerous Austrian ships are blockading us it seems. We need to force a battle.

We continue to push the enemy and sink their shipping.

Oh great, we have a couple of ancient Baguette class destroyers.

A single round is all it take to sink the first ship.

The second lasts somewhat longer, but is no match for the Austrian ship.

The result is sure.

Things are not going well. Again.

Sigh.

I think we could take them in open battle, which is why they hide.

I have to continue the war, but at least we get some prestige.

Yes! That's two good hits for us!

Another size 2 battle.

Two modern light cruisers and two Mo'Dern class destroyers – at least this is a viable fleet.

An armoured cruiser, time to move in a torpedo it.

The Troude is quickly crippled by the larger guns of the 14,000 tonne enemy ship.

We drive her off, but the enemy win on damage done.

Our lack or armoured cruisers is hurting us – we are outgunned in these smaller engagements.

They rebuild another Colossus.

We still have money in the bank, but only a year or so to go on the clock. (unless we are still at war.)

Two more light cruisers should be finishing soon.

The war does not go well, we are losing the smaller engagements due to the lack of mid sized ships.

We have four light cruisers that are not considered old by the rest of the world, and are not raiders. Only two of our battlecruisers are modern.

What shall we do with our final twelve months?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HOW are you being blockaded by the Austro-Hungarian navy?!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Arglebargle III posted:

HOW are you being blockaded by the Austro-Hungarian navy?!

BB numbers after the disastrous peace treaty with Britain

Kind of compounded that even without the treaty terms, we don't have time to build BBs before the game ends.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
We'll have to steal them.

Victory at any cost

Win this war. Do whatever you have to. Build whatever is necessary. Prolong or quicken as necessary. But beat the damned Hapsburgs.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 11, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, I guess it depends on if Grey will be stopping at Jan, 1926 or will delay retirement until the current war is over.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Victory at any cost

Win this war. Do whatever you have to. Build whatever is necessary. Prolong or quicken as necessary. But beat the damned Hapsburgs.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
It's on the spreadsheet, go vote there.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Victory at any cost

Want to see how glorious will Grey end this game.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
So we seize one British BB, and then they commission another? Sure.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
The one we seized was the one we were building that they claimed. We just stole it back.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

The one we seized was the one we were building that they claimed. We just stole it back.

The way I read the log, the British ordered a BB in French yards. The French go to war with Austria and seize the BB. The British order another BB in French yards.

Questionable choice by the Admiralty there.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

AJ_Impy posted:

That makes a lot of sense.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As this LP is winding up and I've been playing this game way too much and reading history books about the period I'm doing a new LP:

here

Once again the thread will get to decide what nation we'll be and what doctrine we'll espouse, at least at the beginning, but I'm planning to have a little more informative content and a little less cretin Cretan democracy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Victory at Any Cost passes – I must do anything I can to win the war.

We trade destroyers, while the raiders continue to murder the enemies shipping.

The enemy blockade continues however.

The raider war continues, I'd like to see signs of distress and revolt in Austria.

They scrap a twenty five year old ship – this may work in our favour, but we really need them to come out and play! We order a load more submarines.

We try for peace once more.

No common ground is found.

The shell dye comes at the right time – the decisive battle is about to begin!

The fleet is between Tunisia and Sicily.

All our big ships are out in the northernmost group.

The Saxe heads up the middle group.

The Hunters make up the southern fleet.

The enemy are to the south, we move to engage. This is first reported to be a pre-colossus.

She's a light crusier, and we engage as her shots bounce off our hull. She soon stops and begins to sink.

A second ship is spotted to the south.

We finally see a mass of ships, just to the north of the Hunter's position.

The Prague class weighs as much as both Hunters combined, but has six 13” guns to our twelve 12” guns. She has a lot more armour however.

The Hunters are the original battlecruisers – they may be old, but their crews know what they are doing, and that gun advantage is quickly whittled down as we take out two turrets within five minutes!

Their battleships are spotted, and ours are in a none-to bad position.

This is a sad day, a true great of the seas is sinking.

Our destroyers let off their own swarm of torpedoes.

The Duquesne becomes the target of at least four battleships, and does not last long.

The two battle lines clash, this will now be settled by shell fire – victory shall go to the best shots.

The old Austrian battleships are not built for this war – they are light and are attracting a lot of fire.

We crippled several of their ships as we chase them down. I see our own ships continue to try and torpedo our battleline.

The damage on the lead ships begins to mount up. I order the line to turn odd.

The destroyers go in hard.

We find some stragglers and pick them off, but we've not been able to engage the more modern Austrian ships.

The Saxe continues to hunt though.

Night arrives and the fleets lose contact. Seven pre-colossus class ships have been sunk to our own losses of two small and old battlecruisers. This is truly a victory.

We are now winning this war.

We don't break the blockade though.

Sub and raiding continues.

One of our convoys comes under attack. With all out ships in the Mediterranean, we cannot create a force to deal with this, and lose 45 VP.

They begin to build a new battleship.

I commission two light armoured cruisers – they will take two years to build, so we may never see them take to the waves, but they are a gap in our line.

Another round of peace talks takes place, but no progress is made.

18” guns are now available, shame we have no time to use them.

drat the Slavonien.

The new light cruisers are ready now, and the Austrians are the ones to turn tail and run.

A lot of the raiders get blocked this month.

La Rochell is raided, but we have three Les Imbeciles class cruisers on hand. These are the most modern ships we have!

We begin to chase a lighter Austrian cruiser.

We chase for hours. Then darkness falls. With some impressive dead reckoning, I put our ships right on top of the enemy ship. A deadly salvo is exchanged – we hit her several times, but the Lavioser's bridge is destroyed and her captain killed.
Its enough though, the enemy ship comes to a dead stop and begins to sink.

Another stunning victory.

The war is still a close run thing.

I'm going to take a break now, but I plan on powering through to the end of this in the next few days.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
See what happens when you get rid of Elan and allow people to take the kids gloves off, my fellow couch-admirals?

Victory! (to a point)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Not much crazy we can suggest when there are weight AND calibur limits.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Nice work on the blind maneuvering there.

Also, how's our prestige doing?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Death before dishonour!

Another convoy comes under attack.

Two Les Imbeciles and a wayward Assainur Batau MK I.

I split the modern ships to cause the enemy targeting problems. This class seems loaded for bear though, so I'm not sure how much good it will do.

The Lalande is hit hard, but the Lavioser gets in close.

Three solid hits ends her before he can launch torpedoes.

The Lalande goes AI, but won't disengage.

Its a one sided defeat, but at least we protected the transports and the supplies make it through.

My Prestige!

The enemy gets a load more ships. I decide to take a risk and let our submarines perform unrestricted warfare.

The first months results are less than impressive.

The British really like the La Guillotine class. That's the third one they've ordered.

Meh, its not like I can build anything good in the time left before I retire.

The attempt to strangle the enemy continues.

We get up in their coast line.

With a single Les Imbeciles, which runs into two ships at night in bad weather.

There are more than two, and before I can break or attempt to evade, we take a hit to the Bridge.

We break slowly, and a draw is achieved.

I have no idea why it thinks we have ships on the NA coast by the way.

Its a shame that Austria-Hungary is a hard country to blockade.

We lose a raider.

Our old ships need more maintenance.

I am due to retire, but I shall continue on until the end of the war.

We lose the Thermidor to a mine, right before our battlefleet runs into the enemy fleet!

We need to win decisively here.

The enemy fleet is to the east.

Three enemy battlecruisers.

The Alger begins to sink, but her crew still manages to fire off all the loaded torpedoes.

Our own battlecruisers engage, while the Jean Bart moves in for a torpedo attack.

I miss the Les Imbeciles, who makes a torpedo attack of her own. This is before she is blatted by the larger ship's guns.

The Lyon is hit hard, but we get another torpedo strike in.

The Lyon is sinking, the Saxe has to turn away after taking heavy damage, but at least the Trieste is hurt.

Our ever dwindling battle fleet finally gets into range, we should be able to confirm the kill on the Trieste. The Slavonian is only making 10 knots as well. The Napoleon I's engines are obsolete and causing issues, so she is lagging behind.

We get the second battlecruisers, and then focus on the last one.

The Saxe runs into the enemy battle line – already crippled, it does not take much to make her begin to sink.

The battle line tries to engage – this is all or nothing.

The Bouvet is hammered.

Things go no better for the rest of the line, and I order the fleet to turn for Tunis.

Most Austrian ships turn north, but one Monarch class stays with our fleet. She's 40K tonnes and carried ten 14” guns.

The Trident begins to sink – she's one of our original 1899 ships, and really has no business being out here in this day and age, but I work with what I have.

Our battered fleet makes it to Tunis.

That makes me feel better.

Another major defeat.

Grrr,

We are down to four real warships, all of them over a decade old.

Will this war not end.

They lay down another Colossus.

I go screw it, hit autodesign and lay down one of our own!

Even the army is failing us, France is crumbling around my ears. The damned politicos have ruined it all! We have dozens of old ships, we can spew forth torpedoes at a rate, but we cannot win a fleet battle against bloody Austria-Hungary!
You fools, you've blown it all up!

I might as well build some motorboats. Then I can go Motorboating.

The next wave of light cruisers slide into the sea.

We lose another battleship.

We gain one ship, and lose another to the shipyards.

We go after their convoys. Well, we would, if we had ships to do so.

A fresh batch of subs are now ready, lets hope they can swing the war in our favour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How the mighty fall.

• Locked thread