Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Throwing in my vote for Possession too. Santa Sangre and The Holy Mountain might be up your alley as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Watrick posted:

Throwing in my vote for Possession too. Santa Sangre and The Holy Mountain might be up your alley as well.

Santa Sangre's a good pick because i feel like people often forget it's a horror movie.

wuLFe
Oct 21, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Oh, I loving love this movie. Own the shirt and everything. On the other side of the coin, could you guys recommend some of those horror movies that cause that deep existential/sociological dread? Along the lines of Antichrist, Blue Velvet, maybe like Begotten? Like, movies that are the cinematic equivalent of a Swans album?

Not exactly a horror movie (although, to be honest, I find one scene in particular in part 2 more horrific than every horror movie I've basically ever seen - had to go lie down a bit since I was eating a sandwich when it happened and I seriously thought I was going to throw up), but Nymphomaniac Pt 1 & 2 definitely pushes a lot of those same buttons. I watched the extended editions which are on Netflix, and since it's also Von Trier, and you specifically mentioned Antichrist (which is coming up on my October list), it might be up your alley as well.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Has anybody in here watched the found footage horror film The Tunnel? It's a solid movie that's not really fantastic but not really horrible either. The impressive thing about it is that it had a budget of A$36,000 and it didn't look or feel like it. They did a fantastic job of working within their limits and the movie doesn't come off as a super low budget affair. The acting is believable for the most part, solid but not great. The movie has its flaws and what it does, other big budget movies have done way better (namely The Descent). I can't hate on it though because of the really small budget and just how well it was made within that budget. The monster is cleverly hidden or obfuscated so that you can't tell exactly what it is (it's probably just a dude in a suit but it sure doesn't look that way) and it's definitely worth checking out. It's also interesting because they released it for free on VODO, a bittorrent thing apparently, so you can legally torrent it.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I end up watching The Beyond Tuesday night and it reminded me of The Sentinel which I then watched Wednesday. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but was The Beyond inspired be The Sentinel? My girlfriend thought that the sentinel was just a psudo-remake of the beyond until I mentioned it had come out first. The thing that really sealed it for me was the whole blindness thing in both movies, and the way they show blindness (blank white pupils).

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Having a problem in that i'm not finding too many horror movies scary. Absolutely loved The Babadook and It Follows but the former I didn't find too spooky and the latter didn't even make me nervous. What are the best horror movies on either netflix or netflix UK?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Calico Heart posted:

Having a problem in that i'm not finding too many horror movies scary. Absolutely loved The Babadook and It Follows but the former I didn't find too spooky and the latter didn't even make me nervous. What are the best horror movies on either netflix or netflix UK?

There's a list in the OP of the challenge thread.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Honestly, I find very little films "scary". It's a difficult question to analyze, but my obsession with horror (and I would call it that) might be more of the allure of the taboo and transgressiveness of the genre. A fascination with how we die, perhaps? I dunno, I'm no psychoanalyst.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Honestly, I find very little films "scary". It's a difficult question to analyze, but my obsession with horror (and I would call it that) might be more of the allure of the taboo and transgressiveness of the genre. A fascination with how we die, perhaps? I dunno, I'm no psychoanalyst.

That's as good an explanation as any. Transgressive fiction is dope.

I frequently allow myself to get scared by films, even ones that aren't that good. It's awesome. Babadook scared the crap out of me, and It Follows was mostly just kinda uneasy but had one of the great scare scenes in recent memory. Under the Skin had some great ones too. I feel genuinely bad for those who don't/can't get scared, though I totally get it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Choco1980 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IpHTDvq_bY

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Madhouse is SO good. I need to get around to watching it again after the challenge month is up. I kind of bookend it with Targets as being about the end of the classic movie horror era happening at the time, and the rise of the modern horror for better or for worse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Madhouse is SO good. I need to get around to watching it again after the challenge month is up. I kind of bookend it with Targets as being about the end of the classic movie horror era happening at the time, and the rise of the modern horror for better or for worse.

If it wasn't for the ending and the incongruity of the spider wife character, it'd probably be among my top 5 horror films. But it's still really drat good.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
I think The Legend of Hell House is creepy as poo poo because of the false sense of security going into a "known" haunted house. The sense of an ill-fated expedition and that novel countdown as the days progress. It's fantastic but I don't know if it's available on streaming services.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really enjoyed Stoker. The cinematography is great, Park Chan-wook made everything look really pretty, and the story's a really well told slow burn. It especially did a great job of giving you a little bit of information, letting you ask the questions on your own, then backfilling those gaps later. It reveals its cards one at a time. Even the first shots of the film are foreshadowing, you just don't know what the context is yet until the end. One thing I didn't realize is that it was written by Wentworth Miller of Prison Break fame, and it's really interesting that it's his first screenplay. I'm looking forward to more from him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just saw Trick 'r Treat for the first time

Yo that movie rules

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Toxxupation posted:

Yo that movie rules

It really does.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

Yo that movie rules

From about October 28th through Halloween I usually don't end up watching anything made after 1990.....except for Trick R Treat. I saw it a few years a go and it instantly earned a prime spot in my Halloween line-up right alongside Return of the Living Dead and The Exorcist.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If you can look past the found-footage factor, V/H/S is worth a look too. The last segment also explicitly takes place on Halloween.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Vagabundo posted:

If you can look past the found-footage factor, V/H/S is worth a look too. The last segment also explicitly takes place on Halloween.

The V/H/S series at least comes up with clever reasons to be found footage most of the time. (mild spoilers about premises for segments) Functional nanny-cam costume, in-camera glasses, a fake eye with a camera, a thing that can only be caught on tape, a voyeur creep filming someone, Skype recordings, mounted GoPros, a documentary, etc. It's one of the few found footage horrors where I rarely ask why they're still filming, because it's explained at the beginning of each segment.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Honestly the first device on your list of camera reasons is the one I totally didn't understand well. They give you like a half second glimpse of it and never say anything out loud about it. Frankly, despite liking that segment, it took post-watching reviews for me to understand what was going on there.

unzercharlie
Aug 23, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Santa Sangre's a good pick because i feel like people often forget it's a horror movie.

I forgot all about this movie until I watched Only God Forgives. The first closing credit on that film was "for Alejandro Jodorowsky." That movie went from "what the gently caress" to "that makes perfect sense" with those three words. It's a great nod to Sante Sangre.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

unzercharlie posted:

I forgot all about this movie until I watched Only God Forgives. The first closing credit on that film was "for Alejandro Jodorowsky." That movie went from "what the gently caress" to "that makes perfect sense" with those three words. It's a great nod to Sante Sangre.

Refn also dedicated Drive to Jodorowsky.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Oh, I loving love this movie. Own the shirt and everything. On the other side of the coin, could you guys recommend some of those horror movies that cause that deep existential/sociological dread? Along the lines of Antichrist, Blue Velvet, maybe like Begotten? Like, movies that are the cinematic equivalent of a Swans album?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0TOooBQ6uI

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Evil Vin posted:

I end up watching The Beyond Tuesday night and it reminded me of The Sentinel which I then watched Wednesday. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but was The Beyond inspired be The Sentinel? My girlfriend thought that the sentinel was just a psudo-remake of the beyond until I mentioned it had come out first. The thing that really sealed it for me was the whole blindness thing in both movies, and the way they show blindness (blank white pupils).

I felt like both flicks got this more from the (more burnt than blind but still) priest in The Omen.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
I've been terrible about keeping up with my movies this year, but I've watched Stage Fright, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, Halloween III, Fist of the Vampire, Stanley, Human Centipede, Cropsey, Curse of Frankenstein, The Golem, and The Babadook. I've liked aspects of all of them (except Fist of the Vampire, which was abysmal) but Halloween III, The Golem, and Curse of Frankenstein have been my favorites. Stage Fright was especially a let down because the creators' prior short film The Legend of Beaver Dam is so incredibly charming and funny.

Right now I'm watching The Fly, which I haven't seen since I was 7 years old pretending to be asleep. I don't think I like it more than The Brood and eXistenz, but Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum were absolutely on their a-game. Noroi is on the agenda for tomorrow.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Speed Crazy posted:

Right now I'm watching The Fly, which I haven't seen since I was 7 years old pretending to be asleep. I don't think I like it more than The Brood and eXistenz, but Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum were absolutely on their a-game.

Did you finish it yet? Because that movie has one of the best finales in horror history.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
okay so I'm attempting the 31 Movies challenge(starting late enough in the month that I'm not going to beat myself up if I fail though I'm definitely going to try to hit 13 at minimum), here's what I've watched so far;

1. Monster Squad: overall pretty good, feels like it could have been 20-40 minutes longer though to flesh some things out properly and give Mummy and Gillman more screentime(both feel as though they were added to the movie relatively last minute compared to Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolf-Man), definitely at least an 8/10, maybe even a 9/10

2. Halloween III: Season of The Witch: in my opinion this is a fantastic and atmospheric movie that is surprisingly minimalist in nature which just ramps up the horror in my opinion(even if it is a bit slow in parts), would be interesting to see it get a remake someday, I'd say 8.5/10

not completely sure what I'm going to watch next, but The Stuff and Q: The Winged Serpent are likely candidates(indeed a very large amount of the movies I'm probably going to watch this month are going to be from the 80's due to 80sHorror.net making it easy to watch a lot of these movies, especially those movies on this list)

will be reposting this over in the Challenge thread proper, just posting it here first since I haven't finished reading through the other thread yet

LabRat1
Apr 19, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

Are any of the Sleepaway Camp sequels any good? I'm looking for woods or camp movies like Friday the 13th and The Burning.

I'd suggest Madman (1982) if you haven't already seen it. It came out around the same time as The Burning and has a fairly similar plot since both were inspired by the Cropsey urban legend. It isn't particularly good, but an okay way to waste an hour and a half. Amazon has it up for free if you have Prime.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Final Girls is a lot of fun, and would work great as a marathon feature with Tucker & Dale and/or Cabin in the Woods. If you hate meta-horror-comedy you'll probably hate it but it was really clever and the character story was surprisingly heartfelt.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
If you didn't buy the Nightmare On Elm Street series box set soundtrack with all of the all new unreleased material you are missing the gently caress out. The original demos, unused songs, stuff cut from the films, source music written for the movies, the goofy video game music from Freddy's Dead... it's awesome. Hopefully, they still have some left.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

The Final Girls is a lot of fun, and would work great as a marathon feature with Tucker & Dale and/or Cabin in the Woods. If you hate meta-horror-comedy you'll probably hate it but it was really clever and the character story was surprisingly heartfelt.

Man I couldn't disagree more, the whole thing felt super insincere and any moment of genuine sentiment was immediately undercut by a lazy joke.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

My gf really liked Tucker and Dale vs Evil, and asked me to find more movies like that. I've already shown her most of the humorous murder movies I know of, so I'm turning to you guys for help. She also dug Wolf Creek 2 and Cabin in the Woods, but not so much Evil Dead 2.

Any recommendations? Bonus points if they are available on Netflix or HBOgo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

but not so much Evil Dead 2.

You are dating an alien and I cannot help you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Some people who weren't exposed to horror at an early age have a hard time going back past the 90's and adjusting to the different styles of filmmaking, it could be partially due to that. The Evil Dead series feels much more raw and has a more noticeable low-budget feel to it than most independent horror of today. Everything today looks slick and over-produced, going back to the 70's and 80's can be jarring if you've never been exposed to stuff like Evil Dead or Texas Chainsaw Massacre previously.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Some people who weren't exposed to horror at an early age have a hard time going back past the 90's and adjusting to the different styles of filmmaking, it could be partially due to that. The Evil Dead series feels much more raw and has a more noticeable low-budget feel to it than most independent horror of today. Everything today looks slick and over-produced, going back to the 70's and 80's can be jarring if you've never been exposed to stuff like Evil Dead or Texas Chainsaw Massacre previously.

Yeah, I tired to expose my cousin and my friend to some older horror and it just bored them. I don't think they knew how to handle a shot that lasted longer than 2 seconds.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

:shepicide: I know.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 26, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

This seems crazy to me - a young person

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

This seems crazy to me - a young person

I mean its not like I'm really judging someone for not being able to get into classic horror, it can be a tough genre. You have to wade through plenty of bad/mediocre acting, unconvincing special effects, nonsensical plots, and boring cinematography to get to the good stuff. Hell, even most of the good stuff has some of those things dragging it down, and you either learn to get past it or you don't notice it due to nostalgia.

Its because horror has historically been a testing ground for unproven people at all the different levels of filmmaking. Non-professionals combined with small budgets makes for lots of movies that are tough to enjoy without the proper context.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah but Evil Dead 2 is like a perfect movie in so many ways. The effects in that film are so much more convincing than the shiny CG blood of modern film. It seems insane to me that someone would prefer the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I mean, what are you defining as an "early age"?

• Locked thread