Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I watched the Castlevania show on Netflix yesterday and is there anything that's similar only good? Being subbed is a plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is Gurren Lagann still the best fighting robot/mecha anime?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Code Geass is better than Gurren Lagann. As are the EVA rebuild movies and Transformers the Movie. But it's a solid 4th place.

I haven't seen the rebuild movies but at they full of the robot fights I remember EVA having but it didn't actually have?

Also what is Code Geass?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ninjewtsu posted:

gurren lagann has been surpassed in quality since 2007, though i dunno of many other good mecha shows that are as, i dunno, maybe the word would be "cartoony." so i guess it depends on what you're looking for out of a mecha show.

code geass is definitely worth a watch, especially if you somehow haven't heard of it

Cartoony is a good word. Over the top ridiculous robot fights are specifically what I'm looking for

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sounds like I have some good places to start. I think I tried GaoGaiGar once because I remember that theme song. I didn't stick it out though.

Thanks everyone!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Can I stream gaogaigar somewhere preferably not on a subscription service? I will gladly watch ads if it means it's legal and free

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there one with subs or dubs?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Well poo poo,

Guess I'll just rewatch TTGL again

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GorfZaplen posted:

This is subbed!!!

I swear to God when I clicked it yesterday episode 1 didn't play subs. I'll assume I'm incompetent/youtube hiccuped because they're there now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Saw a guy saying to skip the back half of TTGL because unless you've seen Getter Robo you'll hate it. If the back half of TTGL is the best half does that mean I'll dig Getter Robo?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Xabungle does not sound like a real word

But I agree, I don't know a lot about the history of robot anime but all of TTGL is a joy to watch. There still hasn't been anything since that captures that feel right? I pop into this thread to ask every time I do a rewatch and usually just get directed towards older stuff

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Endorph posted:

Gurren Lagann is a homage to a lot of older mecha anime. There's stuff that sort of captures the same energy but big bombastic Super Robots are kind of a dead genre, so that's why you mostly get directed to older stuff.

Shin Jeeg is contemporary with Gurren Lagann and kind of hits the same tone? Shin Mazinger Z, too. They're both reboots, Shin Mazinger Z has a kind of weird flash-forward first episode and Shin Jeeg has some callbacks, but neither really demands having seen the original.

Why would anyone kill Super Robots as a genre? They can make so many model kits!

But yeah I assumed that's why it's mostly redirects towards older stuff, I just hold out hope that something will have dropped and I'll have a cool new show to watch

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Endorph posted:

Real robots like Gundam sell better as model kits.

Lame

Are the ttgl movies worth watching? I always just assumed they were skippable

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is Legend of Galactic Heroes better to watch or read?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've tried watching it a few times, I've liked it but I think I only made it into the mid-20s. Watching a long form series in subtitles is rough for me anymore so the book seemed easier

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're trying to divide your focus between reading text at the bottom of the screen and not miss anything happening in the rest of the screen at the same time. With a dub you can just sit back and watch the show. (Not to infer one is better than the other of course, just subjective experience)

That and my attention span just isn't good anymore. A dub I at least can look away from the tv and still hear what's happening. It's a personal failing that may or may not be an actual problem that I'm working on getting diagnosed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I had an idea for a RPG the other day and need more material for inspiration. Other than Yu-Gi-Oh what are some good manga about the high stakes world of trading cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah not opposed to anime, just manga is faster and easier for me to get through

It was early when I originally posted, I want to do a one shot RPG where the players are all anime card game protagonist stereotypes and they save the world or whatever using trading cards. So they would be things like the pro who uses skill and system mastery, the lucky one, the moral support, the rival, the tribal deck and so on

I just need more tropes under my belt to really make the idea pop

Len fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 23, 2024