Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

jackhunter64 posted:

RIP to the real Char:

gently caress that sucks, I was just talking the other day how I'd love to see/hear voice packs in Gundam Evolution from some of the old dub actors too

Would have happily paid a few bucks to have that dude's voice for my Zaku :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

0083 is merely ok but has some stellar animation that makes it worth a look, imo

I would not recommend the movie over the series though

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Watched ep 5 of 08th MS Team, that is great stuff. I love this kind of chill midseason ep in a show like this. Focusing on the music guy's dream, some comedic stuff with bumbling Zeon guards etc, and some gar-tastic character building and rumbles in the jungle. With those 90s Sunrise aesthetics at their finest. Not too shabby.

8th MS Team is cool and I wish there were even more shows about the grunts in the One Year War

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXxUp3ol_sw
Shout out to the theme that replaced Toki wo Koete on the English release. The song it replaced might be my favorite theme in Gundam, but I love how dramatic and dark this is as an opening, with just a touch of hope.

I'm watching Zeta on the Gundam YT channel and I love the hell out of this song, such a great opening

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

If we're splitting hairs this hard, gently caress it, 08th MS team is an AU. GMs didn't come out yet at that point in the war.

I thought the explanation was that the ground-type GMs were developed/deployed before the space-ready ones. By the time Amuro & Co. reach Jaburo, IIRC they spot GMs being deployed and Sayla is confused thinking they are more Gundams.

8th Team has its first episode happen either around the time of, or directly during, Ghiren's speech after Garma's death, so I guess GMs would've theoretically been ready?

Fake edit: not starting an argument if it reads that way lol, just trying to place the Confusing Gundam Timelines in my head

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I actually got a kick out of seeing the 8th team fail miserably against Norris, characterization and pacing flaws be damned.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm also gonna watch and enjoy the hell out of 0083 in spite of how fuckin stupid it can get and no Earthnoid here can stop me :frogc00l:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Unrelated to hot takes like "Gundam is fascist, actually" which just lmao, but I'm slowly making my way through Zeta and I was a bit surprised by this

That English is definitely better than I anticipated lol

I was looking away from the screen and almost missed it but I couldn't help but go back and pause it for the brief moment Hayato is looking at it, because the first thing I thought of was that computer in Gundam Wing using text from something like a readme.txt for a Photoshop plugin :v:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

May have posted about this before but I'm curious from other posters here - how does everyone feel about the Zeta dub?

I know that it was produced during the actors strike and all that and Blue Water is Ocean's budget studio for, uh, good reason, but it's such a weird mixed bag. I actually think Kamille's voice works, the guy playing Char Quattro isn't quite as good as Michael Kopsa but is solid, a few of the other main characters are solid too, but man anyone beyond that? :whitewater: yikes

I'm watching it subbed right now and I've also heard there are weird script/translation issues with the dub, so I think I may go back and give it a shot out of curiosity

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Interesting - I think if I gave it a proper go instead of skipping around episodes I'd probably end up enjoying it, so I'll have to check rit out. I had heard for so long that it was a terrible dub but scenes like the one below actually come out sounding...pretty good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiFGVlljElQ

Emma sounds way too stiff though, imo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Counterpoint, I'm always gonna love my tastykakes :tastykake:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Instead of getting Steve Blum to do ads, they should make the player progression and matchmaking not suck rear end.

Yeah I haven't played in months and won't be coming back soon because of how poorly it has been handled, it's a drat shame

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1630914895314141186?s=20

gently caress you mean this is from a mobile game

God drat lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Chalamet is a very annoying actor. I can't wait until his fifteen minutes is up.

You might be waiting a long time because the dude has an academy award nod, a few golden globes, and stars in multi million dollar franchises and is generally regarded as a talented actor, so it is what it is, I guess

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't know if I hate that the 2 good Disney films are not named or if I like the sense of mystery

EDIT: lmao good timing

I'm more interested in the six or seven good Bakshi films because the vast majority of his stuff is loving trash lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The Streak from Fritz to Wizards is an animation hot streak matched only by Satoshi Kon.

you leaned in too hard with this line lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

0083's visual design is stellar and might have my personal favorite "look" for a Gundam series

I can look past a lot of the shortcomings the story has but yeah it gets bad, and it felt even dumber when I finally rewatched it again last year

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

I'm one of those crazy people who actually prefers Zeta with the orchestral opening.

:respek: same

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

Doan was great.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It's "Look, there's a thing that is like the other thing I like" We need to move beyond this.

What does this even mean lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Haman Karn is up there with Ramba Ral for my favorite names in Gundam

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm at the final five episodes of Zeta and I'm getting ready to finish my first watch of it ever this week and:

- lol at so many deaths, some of the ways people get murked in this poo poo can be both funny and awesome, Yazan dipping out of the way of a beam rifle blast at the last second to kill Jamaican was great, and seeing Ben Wooder get crushed by Amuro when he rams the entire gun of his Rick Dias into the turret lmao, no dramatic zoom in, no freeze frame, just the entire loving suit going through the wall of the ship in an instant, that ruled

- I had watched it subbed for a while, but with some of the late nights I've had with my infant, I went back and restarted with the dub and it's...pretty good? The main cast all have solid voices and the guys they have standing in for Brad Swaile and Michael Kopsa as Amuro and Char respectively do a solid job (though definitely not as good), and I think my only complaint with a lot of the other voices is that they're just kind of boring-sounding and indistinct. I know Kai and Hayato grew up and changed a lot from 0079 but lol they didn't even try to match their voices up with the previous dub, and it's super weird.

- the stuff with Rosamia was weird, I wasn't a fan of any of it, and the dub probably didn't help here

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Zeta dub was done by Blue Water, Ocean's non-union dub crew. That by itself doesn't necessarily mean an inherently weaker dub but it was certainly a step down.

Yeah, it definitely showed in the supporting voices which just felt like Dudes Off the Street as opposed to Ocean having real actors. Forever bummed that the stars didn't align and the original cast couldn't return, but at least they came back for CCA

NikkolasKing posted:

I say it pretty much every time this comes up but Kamille and Four had my favorite dub voices. Probably contributed to why they were also my favorite characters period.

Kamille sounding age appropriate as an angry teenager was nice to hear instead of an old dude trying desperately to sound young

ninjewtsu posted:

it's also occasionally really funny so i like it

When Kamille confronts Reccoa in space, him screaming "THIS IS GARBAGE" got a hearty laugh out of me lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Still wild to me that the Journeyman Project guys busted out a Gundam game outta nowhere

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Borat voice: vageena

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

After I finished Zeta I jumped into Chars Counter Attack as I couldn't get into ZZ and just read a synopsis and now I'm watching Unicorn for the first time and it's cool so far

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sander posted:

Another retro style cutscene from UC ENGAGE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_xcGrdIKCA

This one sees Char testing out a Rick Dom in a mock battle and basically reviewing it. I don't quite understand how those non-lethal beam bazooka shots even work. I don't know Japanese, but it seems like he concludes that he can't beat Amuro in this.

drat, the retro aesthetics are cool

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

If they were gonna go and do a live action miniseries, something along the lines of 8th MS Team always seemed like the safest bet to me

Is the movie going to adapt any part of the UC stuff or are we going the Original Story route that will likely automatically suck

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

holy poo poo lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I looked up g saviour and saw in the plot writeup that one of the factions is called the Congress of Settlement Nations (CONSENT) and now I have to see it, because that's just funny

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ojjeorago posted:

That’s no anime, boy! No anime!

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

hahahah that rules

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The art direction is A+ at least

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It was cool that it aired on Adult Swim. Gundam wing was one thing but seeing 0083's animation was something else, even if the dub is all over the place with its quality

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

0083 is a fourth the length and isn't consistently offensive to the eyes, no way it's worse than destiny.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Quattro is a Char so it goes without saying

Quattro is clearly Quattro Bajeena, what are you talking about

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-HSPmD3bg8

So apparently three cancelled American Gundam adaptations have been found in the Library of Congress

lol that is bizarre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Chibodee
Reccoa
Allenby
McGillis

this, also because I don't have any interest in G Witch tbh