Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not free, obviously, but Thunderbolt is on Netflix just so you know.

Unless I'm missing it somehow, Unicorn is the only Gundam on UK Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The first Thunderbolt movie did just get a reasonably-priced Blu-Ray release, rather than the previous "here's the Japanese release with Japanese pricing" version; it's not free but it's something.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Within the show, G-Reco is quite specifically post-UC, as late as episode 24.

Presumably Tomino later decided he'd prefer his most current work to be final and definitive in-universe, and just declared it so without regard to the content and context. I haven't watched Turn A - even though it's been over 3 years since it was announced for a UK release and then delayed, I want to support Gundam coming out here and can't justify buying it twice - but I can't see that continuity shuffle adding anything worth discarding what's presented in the show.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

G-Reco doesn't really do either. It's very much a fragment of a story, with a lot of time spent on exposition in the classroom rather than Turn A's multi-year tour. At the same time, it doesn't end with anything interesting promised, unlike First Gundam. If I had to give an argument for watching episode 2 having only seen episode 1, with no idea of the crew or the rest of the franchise, I'd have relatively little.

At the time, the main argument for watching episode 2 after having watched episode 1 was "it's airing immediately afterwards". Admittedly, I don't know if episode 2 really makes all that much difference to the people who didn't gel with G-Reco early, but there was some acknowledgement that episode 1 is more "the first 25 minutes of this show" than "a strong argument for watching 25 more episodes".

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Is there an actual American release, or is it the same as what's happened in the UK where it's just the Japanese blu-ray at Japanese prices being distributed by a local company? Presumably some day there'll be an affordable release, but this just seems to be how Gundam movies are handled now.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's weird because AnimeLab was able to stream it in Australia. Did Crunchyroll have it too, maybe? I can't recall.

G-Reco's streaming situation was weird. IIRC nowhere had it streaming to North America at all. Here in the UK, Anime Limited had it for around £35 or so to stream and download via Vimeo, which was weird and had a very inconsistent schedule with a bunch of delays, but does mean I have it all as legitimate MP4 files which is kinda cool. I wonder if they were planning on using the big new Tomino Gundam series to push some particular streaming service (did Daisuki exist at the time?) and then it didn't come together.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Don't remember that at all, must have been a rather short time if that's true

Kingtheninja posted:

Well now I'm questioning my memory. I watched it on something that wasn't CR, did gundam info air it weekly during the run? That might have been what I was thinking of, for me it would either be Hulu or info.

I found a press release; it was on Hulu but not while it was airing.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like Quess isn't all that different to Kamille starting out, she's just in circumstances that make "I'm a kid who can tell things aren't working, I'm gonna get in a robot" not work because the tone and scope of the war that's going on are so different. Obviously they're not 1-to-1, but there's similarities there.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Given the success of Unicorn, I have no idea why they'd want to invalidate ZZ.

Unicorn hadn't even started in novel format at the time. I assume the goal was just to give Zeta a happier ending in itself, since there weren't plans for ZZ movies and it's not like a new version of Zeta could canonically displace the TV show which other works had built on for 20 years.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Then Kamille winds up brain whammied, Haman is able to take power uncontested, and nothing shows the slightest sign of getting better. Char's decision makes sense... but even with how much of a dick he can be, jumping right from that scene to the beginning of CCA where he's dropping a meteor on the Earth can be a bit tricky to deal with. Char moving from point to point isn't absurd, but we don't see any of the connecting links, making it feel more awkward than it has to.

I feel like ZZ does a good job of presenting a world in Char's absence that drives him to that point. He worked really hard to pull the Federation out of the Titans' grasp, to the point of taking on the political responsibility he hated so much, and as soon as he left they turned to appeasing Haman Karn to keep their safety and positions. Add in the whole squad of Newtype youths who showed up, won a war, and immediately went "nah, this sucks" and abandoned any further involvement to go live on Jupiter or Shangri-La, plus the dissolution of the AEUG, and it's clear that Char's methods up to that point aren't getting him the results he wants.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

When I do get around to G-Reco, do people advise the series or the movies (which I understand are still being made?)?

If you get around to G-Reco once the movies are done (or don't mind waiting), there seems to be so little cut from them that it's mainly just stronger pacing, but who knows how that'll turn out for the last 3 movies? There's also the issue that getting them means paying Japanese Blu-ray prices at the moment; you can probably get all of the series a comparable price to the first movie. The movies seem like they'll be the best way to watch G-Reco, since so far they feel smoother and I hope that makes it more approachable than the TV series was for some people, but the series is still good.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The jovians plan on crossbone was to nuke the poo poo out of the earth with their divindad units.

Jupiter's whole deal from when it first comes up in Zeta through being in the spotlight for Crossbone is that it's far away and vaguely mysterious; if there's anywhere where the sociopolitical rules of the UC being broken fits, it's there.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like Mafty's been around as a romanisation of Hathaway's alias for years. Either way, "Gundam Hathaway" has been the slightly awkward English title for this movie from day 1, maybe because it fits more with the title format of pretty much everything that isn't Char's Counterattack? Maybe they wanted to de-emphasise Hathaway the character in the title because there are more people in the potential audience who don't know who that is? Could even be that it was the pleasing-everyone solution to the Hathaway's Flash vs Brilliant Hathaway vs other options debate over the title.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Is this an OVA adaptation for the film they just released? Y'all are saying movie series, I'm just very confused where this material is coming from or if its just redoing the film for a different longer format.

This is the film, which is the first in a trilogy of films adapting the Hathaway's Flash novels.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Ehhhh, he's not an angry enough guy for it

But I feel like trying to match pilot personality to answer a "which robot best fits" question is a little silly

None of the g gen or srw games do thunderbolt right? No chances of getting yazan in the psycho zaku?

G Generation Genesis had the Psycho Zaku (and Thunderbolt's Full Armour Gundam) as DLC, so you can put Yazan in it as soon as you get him.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Katejina makes plenty of sense in the context of being someone living through Victory. She starts out angry and understanding that the current situation is bad, but she's just enough older and smarter than Uso to get clever about it, and ends up with Zanscare and believing in Maria-ism because the alternatives suck, this nice lady has magic healing powers, and matriarchy as the solution to life's problems is going appeal to an ambitious young woman like Katejina. Then she gets to be part of all the fighting and that's where it all really pushes Katejina to the edge. For all the trauma Uso experiences, he has Shakti, a group of friends and peers, Marbet who's one of Gundam's more reasonable adults, and a whole squad of older women supporting him as they die. Everyone in the Zanscare Empire a schemer out for themselves except for one man, so the only constants Katejina has in her life while she's doing all this war and genocide are Chronicle (who sucks) and fighting Uso, and she's too stubborn to do anything but push further down that path and hate Uso more and more.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

As someone who loves F91 despite its issues, I think a decompressed version could be amazing... But Tomino's expressed that he has absolutely no interest going back to his old Gundam work, and Seabook's VA Kouji Tsujitani passed away in 2018, so anyone's new take on F91 wouldn't feel authentic to me, in a way that asks why not just make a new Gundam inspired by F91 instead? Big animated Gundam remakes feel generally a little pointless in my eyes, because the franchise goes back to ideas all the time in new works and a team making Mobile Suit Gundam Whatever driven by a desire to refine F91 sounds way more interesting than redoing F91 itself for that. Manga retellings in the vein of 0083 Rebellion are fine to me though, because differences in format make it way more clearly a specific author(s)' take on the material instead of an intended replacement, and one based on F91 could be really cool but it wouldn't have the same wealth of side material to integrate as an appeal point.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Tae posted:

A remake of f91 would be worthwhile to be a stronger lead in to crossbone gundam

At that point, why not just make a sequel set before Crossbone? There's plenty of space for one without changing anything about Crossbone.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Zanscare didn't have a strong "this is what our faction is for" ideology beyond conquering Earth and then Maria will be everyone's mom, but a lot of the Zanscare characters we got to know were aiming to live an idealised life on Earth, either something in the vein of Uso's rural lifestyle or by being a free biker. It puts them into an obvious contrast with the kids who were living those lives but now they have to fight to protect them, and all the cities of innocent civilians murdered so we can be innocent civilians. Zanscare as a whole is very blatantly evil, there's clear precursors to the "let's go back to Earth, regardless of what we have to do for it" themes Tomino would later return to in Turn A and G-Reco.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Endless Waltz is interesting because for all that it works well as a final piece of Wing, it's also very much a "watch the characters from TV you like doing their thing on the big screen" anime movie in a way that stands out for Gundam works. I haven't seen Destiny to compare it with, but of other Gundam sequels that aren't just same title Season 2, it feels the most like it doesn't have its own distinct identity. Even A Wakening of the Trailblazer, the other movie sequel to a TV series, had a particular vibe to it that TV 00 didn't, whereas Endless Waltz really does feel like it's as Wing as you could get within a movie. The only thing really like it is GM's Counterattack, and it's kind of surprising that there's not been more of that sort of thing over the years.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

It's been a long time since I watched 00, but... intellectually I can understand people disliking Mister Bushido, but in my heart I can't.

Maybe I wouldn't like season 2 as much now compared to watching 00 for the first time as my first non-movie Gundam, but I enjoyed it when I saw it. I do like how season 1, season 2, and A Wakening of the Trailblazer all add up to a single story but have their own pretty distinct identities too; season 1 is the best part, but it's not a case where the rest was that but executed worse.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The best theoretical Gundam game would be Dynasty Warriors Gundam: Empires, but it'll never happen even if they bring back DWG.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Since the Beguir-Beu is specifically from the Prologue, I'd assume it's some sort of ace suit, maybe a variant of something we'll see in the show.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Runa posted:

What is the Prologue anyway?

Since they've announced it as being shown at the Gundam Bases, my guess is it'll be a short displayed on the big screens like that G-Reco one with the Phenex from a few years back (if I'm remembering what that was right?).

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The single line that most impacted how I read Char is from CCA - though I watched it before the UK blu-ray came out and haven't rewatched yet, so maybe it's different in the official release - and it's when, in the middle of dropping Axis to render Earth uninhabitable for humans, he says "I'm not planning to change the world!" Between his quest ending at revenge in 0079, his reluctance to step into politics despite his skill and power in Zeta, vanishing after both of those shows, and his general behaviour in CCA, I can only interpret him as someone who really believes in what he believes in but would absolutely rather not be here. I suppose it's a good parallel to Gundam protagonists getting dragged into wars they hate, but in Char's case he's starting and escalating these conflicts as means to ends he wants while trying as hard as he can to not get stuck being the actual man in charge. He's simultaneously claiming the world will be changed by people from space, changing the world (while being from space), and fighting as hard as he can to not be the person from space who will change the world, and that's a compelling contrast of a character.

1st Stage Midboss fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 8, 2022

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, Victory is making me think of how much Yazan helps the Titans function in the story. Since he's a legitimate threat, the Titans feel like a threat, even though Jerid is just stumbling through life like a jackass. Victory might have people who can beat the League, but they don't have the same Yazan and Rustal feeling of "Ah, right. This is why these people are dangerous."
The Titans are a threat because they're already all-but dominant in the Federation military and stand to take it over entirely, so their aces represent their status as a small elite group with a lot of power. Zanscare's all about big flashy plays - guillotining resisters en masse, crushing entire cities with rolling battleships, and with superweapons like the Kailash Guillie (or however it's spelled) and Angel Halo feeling like a much bigger part of their overall situation, all while the Federation is repeatedly shown to be totally ineffective when they can back. The Titans are dangerous because of what they're capable of as a bunch of highly capable people, Zanscare is dangerous as a force sweeping through the Earth Sphere. The AEUG and the League Militaire are both rebel groups, but they're dealing with very different flavours of opposition.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

tsob posted:

Do they? I would say SEED is one of the better Gundam shows for how much it allows it's female characters to do, if anything, because Murrue and Lacus are generally competent throughout, with Lacus specifically doing a lot to drive the plot in the second half, Cagalli is generally competent despite her headstrong actions and even Mirillia has more relevance than Sai or the rest of Kira's male childhood friends; and while Natarle and Fllay do die, they also do so at the end of the show after Natarle shows competence at her job throughout the show and Fllay has an arc and some actual depth (even if it's mostly soap opera style stuff). I don't even remember either of their deaths being particularly gruesome. Natarle gets shot a few times before we see the Dominion blow up, and Fllay is just killed in a generic explosion if I recall.

Cagalli is introduced as a competent character but practically every time she actually does anything it's ineffective or entirely a failure , when she gets her own Gundam at the end of the show it goes out of the way to say "make sure the assist AI is on because the pilot is a newbie", and even her SEED moment doesn't lead to her actually achieving anything in the fight before the boys show up to win it. As someone who watched SEED recently and had seen people complaining for years about Destiny sidelining Cagalli, the actual show shocked me with the idea she could be treated worse than she already was. She suffers from something SEED does a lot, where it presents the idea of a character trait or relationship and then doesn't follow through with it on screen, you're just expected to perceive the character through a lens that the show doesn't try to justify.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The thing that makes it really frustrating for me is that we see so many Zanscare characters pursuing the lifestyle Uso had (but committing genocide to get there instead of being a good honest illegal immigrant) and the next narrative step being someone going after Uso himself is definitely interesting. If Lupe Cineau was trying to mother Uso, who lost his mom in this war, it would work thematically well and build towards the same violent rejection we saw in the actual episode... but what we got was gross. I like Victory a lot, but it works its hardest to fight against being recommended to anyone.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I haven't watched either since I first watched them around a decade ago so I can't stage some complex defence of them, but I came away from 00 season 2 and the movie happy about the character arcs and overall plot.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I've always thought the licenses were an interesting extension of the "ace pilot" idea, even if 00 didn't do a ton with them. It makes sense in a setting where 4 skilled pilots changed the world to try giving that same kind of freedom of action to your own top pilots.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

That's even less useful as an explanation. There's "Sold more" and there's "set sales records for anime DVDs in an era of massively declining home video sales".

Something weird was happening with Uma Musume's DVD sales, and I have no idea what.

The Uma Musume mobile game came out after season 1, and it was absolutely massive. There was a big player base specifically after the Uma Musume bonuses and also interested in those characters, so the discs sold.

1st Stage Midboss fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 26, 2022

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The same "buy the Japanese movie Blu-rays at big prices" approach has happened in the UK with Gundam and Love Live movies, and those have always had reasonably priced domestic releases down the line, so I'd expect people who aren't big enough G-Reco fans to pay £500 for it will have their chance here and in the US after all the movies are out. That's how it worked for The Origin if I'm remembering right.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Wing, particularly its more accelerated earlier parts, always felt to me like a TV version of F91. Not in terms of characters, themes, or any of that, but in that Wing has that same "WHAM! Now something's happening, immediately, it's going to be important before we rush into the next thing" energy that F91 has. The key difference is that Wing is a TV show doing this as that much more of an active creative decision, so we do actually get to see all the steps we need to see, rather than it being an editing necessity to get all of F91 into a movie of its runtime.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Nothing's been announced on Hathaway 2 yet; the desire for authentic location scouting internationally and the pandemic didn't complement each other.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The thing about 08th MS Team that really gets me is thinking about how it's an OVA. On the one hand, its inconsistencies could be smoothed over by watching it over a longer time, but I feel like so many episodes would be unsatisfying to be left waiting for months until you get more. I guess it's hard for someone from the west who got into anime in the late 2000s to really get into the 90s OVA buying headspace, though.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Didn't the Warring States Gundam thing get rolled into its own AU rather than making it a Universal Century thing?
There is a samurai-themed AU manga, Gundam Burai, which might have warring states Japan stuff going on, I've not read it, but the post-Victory Crossbones that do the "warring states space colonies" thing (Dust and X-11) are as UC as ever.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m not going to lie, reading a post where someone complains about a female lead being there for marketing purposes instead of story purposes and then goes on to criticize the writers for caring more about the emotional impact of storytelling choices than how it fits with Lore feels pretty reminiscent of internet debates about Rey.

Spent far too long after reading this post wondering who was out there starting arguments over the blonde boy from Destiny.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Honestly, allowing for the major art style differences, that does make sense as a mid-point between the Mk.II and the Barzam.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I'll give it this, it looks like it has a specific aesthetic in mind, and if you're going to make a new animated work in the One Year War it needs to have an identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

In non-SEED news, UC Engage is coming out in English.

Shame it's not coming to the UK, I would have liked it give it a look.