Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I started watching IBO thanks to Cross Rays and it was really rad at first, I like the characters and the action is cool. It's nice to see a gundam series that's anti-war but not in the same old sort of "we shouldn't fight and instead just communicate and understand one another!" way like usual.

But, uh, what's with the hard turn into polygamy power hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Honestly, the part that threw me for a loop wasn't the weirdo with his ship of "wives" but how quickly the main character's love interest jumped on board the threesome train pretty much the instant she realized the other lady was into him too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Kudelia being into Mika always felt extremely forced in the story. She knows enough of the world to know that he is super messed up and has some issues. Atra made sense due to the shared martian orphan stuff, but the Kudelia thing just seemed to happen because the writers wanted it to.

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't the entire basis of their relationship her feeling bad some kids died, him going "get over yourself, chump" and walking away like he does to basically everyone, and then her instantly falling in love with him?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

F91 owns despite being clearly unfinished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HGzxM5yzEc

Love that voice clip. GUNDAM FORMULA 91.

I really wish F91 would get some kind of remake. I liked it a lot even though it is what it is, and I love the F91's design.

RillAkBea posted:

0080: War in the Pocket is also a good short but sweet introduction to core values of classic Gundam.

The core values of Gundam being hamburgers and tragedy

War in the Pocket has actually become my go-to introduction to the UC stuff for people I know who want to dip their toes into gundam, but aren't sure where to start. It's short enough that it's not a huge investment, but it touches on the major cornerstones of what I'd say Gundam "is" for the most part while keeping a good blend of light comedic moments, character development and more somber tonal shifts. A friend of mine watched War in the Pocket with me recently and while they were generally lukewarm about gundam as a whole at first, at the climax they were like "Oh no, he lived, right? They wouldn't just kill him like that! But she liked him!" and so one day soon I need to show them 08th MS Team.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

i haven't watched Victory or X, but see them all the time being blown off as "lesser" shows. never trust the internet, cause they all said G-Reco was unwatchable garbage and it kicked rear end.

Never forget that SEED and 00 (and to a lesser extent: Wing) are basically some of the most popular gundam series, IIRC, and a lot of people really don't like Turn-A's mech design so it's safe to say gundam fan tastes can be pretty questionable at times.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

GMs and Balls. But yes. Endless waves of "good enough" doesn't make for compelling visuals.

Saw another episode of IGLOO since I've got a completionist streak, and the show managed to make a pretty compelling argument for the Zeon engineering highlighted in the episode.

Unfortunately for them, that engineering was the Zaku II. The Hildolfr looked like a massive waste of money.

Six Federation pilots with minimal Mobile Suit training managed to take it out in hijacked Zakus with no knowledge of the thing's capabilities. (And then the last one of them gets killed due to plot bullshit sparing the Hildolfr pilot just long enough to get a killing shot despite the lead Federation pilot firing right into the cockpit with his machine gun.) Considering the mechanisms would make the Hildolfr easily cost six times the price of the Zaku II, that's pretty bad.

Add in the total lack of space capability, and it's no wonder Zeon dustbinned it. Something that can be taken out by a handful of Zaks going in fresh is going to get eaten alive once GMs hit mass production.

I love IGLOO but it's irredeemably stupid. The Zudah is one of my favorite MS, but you've been pretty much spot on about the general flow of the episodes. "Zeon good! Look at this wonderful machine, if only they funded it, it would have won the war!" "HAHA I am the man who will show you it's worth funding!" "What an honorable, noble soul!" "And now I will explode and die." And the machines themselves aren't even good. I kind of wish more games that included the Zudah would actually let it explode if you pushed it too hard.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Nope that's just Kamille. He chills out later on.

It just takes fifty episodes of punching people in the face.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Decided to break out the ol' gif tools for the first time in a while. I'm really, really enjoying 0079, way more than expected to be honest.

Before this I watched War in the Pocket and Unicorn, and people warned me the original MSG might be a bit dated (especially if watching the series instead of the movies), but that shouldn't stop anyone.

I love MSG, and I've always found actually convincing someone to give it a try is always the hardest part. Whether it's a mecha fan who has only watched Gurren Lagann style stuff and is considering branching out, or someone who's never really tried gundam but isn't sure if they should watch a classic, or something more recently like 00. I've never met someone who took the recommendation, watched it and came away disliking it. But so many people are put off by the idea that it's old, that they just won't watch it. Which is a shame because I feel it's still probably one of the strongest gundam series as a whole.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

SEED was fine, but it's worst crime for me was how boring it was. All the fights are just suits flying around shooting lasers at each other as far as I remember, and the suit designs were all really samey and boring for the most part.

Another thing (because I love having an excuse to complain about how much I hate seed) is that like - even the mecha designs are kind of lame. More so than almost any other gundam series, Seed suffers really hard from so many of the designs feeling almost interchangeable. Part of it comes from like half its catalog being variants of the main two mechs and, in games and stuff, the astray. But it doesn't help that the very basic shape of most of them tends to stem from the same sharp, angular frame with different armor bolted on to it. I honestly can't really find a single seed design that stands out to me, but i can tell in an instant any time I see one because they all have a very distinct "that's from seed" style.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I've been watching IBO recently, powered through the awesome first season and I'm just kind of not feeling the second season as much at all; mostly because the antagonists just feel kind of shallow? Iok is the worst and Julieta just kind of comes out of nowhere for someone so hypercompetent. I kind of wish she'd been introduced, even if just fleetingly, in the first season to give some manner of build up to her presence.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Iok is, indeed, the worst. That's his narrative purpose. He's supposed to be a dude who sucks and who, due to immense privilege, has never had to deal with the fact he sucks.

It works because I hate every scene with him, he just snowballs every fuckup into a bigger fuckup.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I'm on the final episode now and I've really enjoyed IBO over all. But I dunno, it feels like every time season 2 gets good it trips over its self with characters like Iok, Juliete and the introduction of the Dainsleifs which just kind of make the entire plot feel weaker over all because now the villains just seem to have infinite silver bullets to kill everyone with I guess. Like as rad as that entire last battle was: it was just a matter of waiting until the inevitable Dainsleif waves to end the series with a bunch of people dead again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

sassassin posted:

"The villains"?

They gleefully do warcrimes with illegal weapons, so yeah.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RevolverDivider posted:

Tekkadan made a bunch of insanely bad decisions and hitched their horse to McGillis who is a raging lunatic trying to live out his power fantasy. It's heavily suggested a few times if McGillis just approached Rustal and was willing to work together with him to reform Gjallerhorn Rustal would've been 100% on board.

This is the part I actually do like. It's specifically the things I listed that I'm not a big fan of, and Having the tekkadan lose, ultimately, was a pretty ballsy decision that I loved. I just really don't like a handful of specific narrative choices used to bring about what are otherwise really awesome moments and plot beats.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I like IGLOO. It's not great, but some of the episodes are alright, and I love the Zudah, stupid little exploding machine that it is. I liked them less when they tried to add in a more overarching plot beyond "look at these crazy machines we made that sucked, sure do wonder why we never mass produced those trashfires, anyway here's another robot that explodes when you look at it funny."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

See, as a pitch, I love it. Catch 22 with giant robots sounds amazing. But then it acts like those wonderweapons aren't suicidal tire fires for idiots, and I kind of have my eyes glaze over.

Also, trying the SEED movies to see a full version of the story, since the show has some of the slowest pacing I've seen, and it's funny.

The pacing is just about tolerable. The amount that's happening in a given amount of time is more appropriate, but the presentation just makes it not work at all. Where the original Gundam took 15 minutes or so each for the first two episodes in the movie version to at least let people get attached to Amuro, the SEED movies just go at a bloody rush, skipping to episode nine by the half hour mark.

It's kind of absurd.

That is a good point, I kind of glossed over all the glorification that went on. IMO I wouldn't mind another igloo that was more of a retrospective styled thing thing, post-war people looking over failed zeon projects and just going :psyduck: over what they were thinking.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I couldn't get into 00 for the same reasons I was never a big fan of SEED. I don't like the big flashy laser fights and both the mech and character designs pushed me away from them pretty hard for entirely personal preference reasons. It's made playing the last few generations of gundam games pretty rough when we went from a glut of SEED mechs to a glut of SEED and 00 mechs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I've been playing Gundam Breaker 3 a lot lately, I've just been in a gundam mood since watching IBO I guess and I've never really watched Gundam X before and between some idle curiosity in that, and the fact that the Virsago looks a lot like wing's Epyon I've come around to really wanting to see it just to know what's going on in that series. So what's the consensus on it? I never really hear about it; is it just boring and no one talks about it? Or is it bad so people try not to bring it up?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm usually more a fan of the grim and dour gundams, but I'll give it a go. I really dig the Virsago's design so I want some context for that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

"Gundam Wing is about pretty boys being wimpy and mopey while G Gundam is about manly men and if you get offended by cultural stereotypes you're a pussy."

Wing was the super popular Gundam show in the west and G Gundam was kinda niche in comparison, so you get that mindset of mainstream being poo poo seeping in. Nevermind that Wing is batshit crazy but it is easy to see how the mindset of "I like this show therefore it's good and I don't like this show therefore it is bad" can colour people's opinions

I might be wrong here, but I think wing just got more airtime in the west? I lived in Canada when Wing and G Gundam were airing in America and I didn't see a single episode of G anywhere, but we did have Wing airing for years, even well after it stopped really being popular they'd air re-runs of it and Escaflowne in the dead of night.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

That gundam is so drat ugly.

It's weird because when it showed up in SRW it looked pretty neat. But the designs and colour schemes they went with in the movie just look extra ugly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

UC Gundam spends about 30-35 years making mobile suits bigger to pack more and more defensive tools as beam weapons get cheaper, smaller and more powerful, then eventually reaches the point where they realise it's more efficient to just be smaller and go faster.

Well Beam weapons were basically introduced as the ultimate get-hosed weapon, so cool and awesome normal mobile suits could only use them under water, the Gundam was just so kickass powerful it could use them raw. But by the end of the one year war everyone had beam weapons all over the place and by the end of ZZ funnels and beams had reached a point where a battle was just lasers everywhere and you just can't really block that poo poo without special fields that don't always work. So it makes sense that being small and fast so you can be where the beams aren't is a lot safer, literally just being the antithesis of the Big Zam at this point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Zimmerman and his three daughters is a really sweet way for this to go. :3:

Sometimes SRW has real good moments like that. Sometimes it does not, like in X where you can recruit Glemy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Gm being a shotgunner is lame as poo poo. Either give me Masks final mech from Reco or the Kampfer as a shotgunner.

What about the Astaroth Origin? Doesn't that have a cool shotgun?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I'm like a fourth of the way through Victory and I'm enjoying it, except for the baby that screams constantly. There isn't going to be enough therapy in all of space for Uso is there?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm probably going to give gundamwatch a try, but I'm not exactly excited for it. I'm glad it's including some weird or obscure choices though because I want to be the weird nerd who picks the one robot no one likes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

1st Stage Midboss posted:

G Generation Genesis had the Psycho Zaku (and Thunderbolt's Full Armour Gundam) as DLC, so you can put Yazan in it as soon as you get him.

They're also both in Gundam Breaker 3 but that's not really story oriented so much as collecting parts of your favorite gunpla.

EDIT: So I'm like halfway through Victory now and I'm still loving it, but I can see why it's one of the less popular series in terms of toy sales and such? Most of the villain mechs don't really stand out in the way that a lot of the other UC grunts do (I'm a big fan of the Shokew line though) More importantly, however, everyone talks about how much Chronicle sucks, and boy howdy does he. But Katejina extra sucks. "This is all your fault, you made me do this!" I shout, opening fire with a laser cannon at a crowd of unarmed civilians.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 24, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I can buy the cyber newtype idea because like, the second time she goes after Uso in a mobile suit she's saying something about him having potential to become a newtype. So maybe she is, maybe she isn't :shrug: she's still a jerk though and I unironically love these stupid wheels and the wheelship.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Bigger question. Why intentionally associate anything with Crossbone?

(Crossbone Gundam isn't very good.)

I love crossbone and all of its stupid, crazy, ideas to death and still really want to see an anime of it. But yeah it's probably never going to happen because it's kind of dumb and not good. Maybe one day we'll get an adaptation in the sense that someone will trim out all of the stuff that's bad and reimagine it as something good and then we'll just get to see the cool pirate gundams fight cool robots.

EDIT: Gotta be honest, for how down people tend to be on Victory I think I hate the Zanscare more than old MSG's Zeon. Not that the scale of anything I've seen in Victory so far still manages to compare to how hosed up gassing and dropping colonies are, but the way these people constantly talk about destroying the authority and governments on earth while doing almost nothing but just murdering civilians is wild and I really don't get the (relatively small) fanbases a lot of the villains this show have across the internet.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 26, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Episode 36 of Victory and holy poo poo, the universe really, really just hates Uso doesn't it?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Odelo scored a pretty sweet double kill.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

It's cool when the Gundams fight

I agree, that's why G Gundam is the best. None of that weak rear end mobile suit garbage, nothing but gundams.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

This mobile suit conspiracy of yours besmirches the honor of the Gundam Fight and I will not stand for it :colbert:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ramadu posted:

jesus fuckin christ uso just walking around with his moms severed head :staredog:

What up, Victory buddy. I loved just how ridiculously contrived the circumstances of her death were. I said it before and I'll say it again: the universe really just hates Uso.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ramadu posted:

yeah i got to episode 32 before burning out in 2020. I think victory is my like 9th or 10th gundam show and i needed a break so I'm gonna finish it this week. What a bleak show.

That's pretty much what happened my first time trying to watch it. I was going through a big UC binge and cruised through MSG, Zeta, ZZ and the various OVAs between them all the way to CCA and started to struggle with Unicorn and F91, and just couldn't make it even halfway through Victory. But now I'm enjoying it a ton despite it's various issues; I can see why it's not so popular, but it's a fun show. Bleak as hell though, yeah.

EDIT: Wow, Shakti's real dumb.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 30, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

In her defense, she's like 12 and traumatized.

So is like half the cast!

I am glad that Asher got the stupid death he deserved though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Watch the best gundam, Aura Battler Dunbine.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ManSedan posted:

I recently finished Victory myself and I think what pissed me off the most was Odelo dying.

Killing the main character at the end is something of a gandum tradition though. It took them until CCA to off Amuro, but I guess that makes sense since he's the main man of the entire Char thing. Kamille gets coma'd for Zeta, Judau just fucks off forever after ZZ.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, that's not killing the lead. That's just moving them out of the way, which is rather different.

They even did that with Amuro in Zeta to an extent.

Any time a character is off screen they're dead to me.

I don't know who this Milliardo guy is, but I miss Zechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

We also know that Agnika was a super robot pilot in the old school, which does suggest a certain age range.

(Teenagers founding a Space Police organization does explain why "I'm the best at killing robots, so I get to be in charge!" is part of their founding documents.)

It honestly makes a certain level of sense, especially regarding the time period, that they'd found their organization on seniority and ability to kill the horrible humanity ending mobile armors. Then, once the armors all vanished, their descendants took that power and turned it into a lovely galaxy police. I might have the entirely wrong read on things, but I kind of get the vibe that in spirit at least the original gundam pilots would probably have been closer to the Tekkadan (nobodies fighting desperately against foes that vastly outpower and outnumber them) than the current Gjallarhorn (an established political power that leans heavily on its pre-existing and historical status). Then in time the story turned them from basically a ragtag group of jackasses into heroic knights to make the people who followed them seem even fancier.