Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm really disappointed that jerid is losing

Also word on the street is someone botted the poll to make ple beat suletta?

From what I could tell in the Mashymere matchup, he had a very solid early lead with a suspicious last-minute swing to Suletta winning (and a higher than usual vote total) which I guess broke the seal for the Ple matchup to devolve into both sides botting. Just kind of a weird damper on what should be a fun thing, hopefully it doesn't come into any other matchups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Models already exist for this, they're the stupid-looking 03rd MS guys.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Gripweed posted:

It makes me a little sad to find out that Puru and Katejina's earlier success was probably in part due to botting.

Their wins before running into WfM characters are in line with a lot of the other vote totals, it really is just the new show characters that were the flashpoint for botting.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Onetricking Dynames but to only use the dual pistols. :thumbsup:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The Wing version of this is Otto.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Cumron Bloom

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Gripweed posted:

This created a vacuum where particularly opinionated people could declare facts about Gundam loudly enough to make it just accepted wisdom in the fandom. [...]like, "X just failed because of 'Gundam fatigue'" when the much more reasonable explanation is that it's just not a good show.

Checks out.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Don't really care about the subjective opinion on it so much as thinking people just cannot easily/do not watch X and so if a small group of people are out there saying it's bad, that's the reality the community creates and perpetuates.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
My ZZ is out of date, but in the middle of a Zeta rewatch and it doesn't sound like there's that much space between Mashymere and someone like Jerid, who similarly recurs while being ineffectual. The other rotating antagonists don't have much charm or substance for me (Jamaican, Kacricon, Buran Blutarch) so having these larger-than-life guys around is one of the highlights when the show is stuck in weekly battles.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Watch the show, and you can check out the movies sometime after for the updated animation.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The idea of a 0079 remake to bring new fans just feels contradictory to me, but maybe I'm stuck too far in the UC/AU divide.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
People bat for Seed too, big deal.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Flay is definitely one of the few bright spots in the whole show, but they completely take her out of commission for half of it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I naively assumed he at least had a different writer for the film, but lol.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not that Seed isn't full of a chaff you could cut, but the era of long-running shows is over and that has to be accounted for in any fantasies about remaking a 43+ episode show. At this point the AUs aren't even managing consecutive cours, so your remake of whatever series becomes a potential GWitch situation and airs over the course of almost 2 years.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I agree with the idea that early Seed is better, not because I love it weakly redoing 0079, but because it's the part where characters and ideas still feel like they have promise instead of what they flatten into after Kira's revival. Basically ignorance is bliss.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I would like Build to get actual series again, but I assume we are getting hosed in that department by the AMAIM spinoff while GWitch is ongoing.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Tsukasa Shiba rolling in his grave. 😔

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I don't like OP1 that much but it's the principle of the thing, I guess. Though I think if you want the best visual quality you're stuck with the version that lacks the original OP/EDs anyway, even going :filez:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

TenementFunster posted:

there is no rights dispute anymore, like there was in 2008 with the Bandai US DVD boxset. the OPs and ED have been licensed in the United States since at least 2019 by Sunrise Music, who is owned by Bandai-Namco. the original OPs/ED were missing from the earlier US releases as they didn't have an official US licensee due to all three songs being tied up with Neil Sedaka's label/estate [e: wait what the gently caress Neil Sedaka is still alive?]. today, all Crunchyroll has to do is write Bandai-Namco a slightly larger check, as Bandai-Namco subsidiaries now own the US rights to the series as well as all the music that appears in the show

would somebody with CR Premium just click this link and free me from this prison of unknowing?

leave it to the perfidious "british" to commit this absolute affront to Mami Ayukawa Appreciators across the globe

This is still a case where they'd have to do extra licensing work, because the 2016 English release of Zeta did not have the original songs. Understandably, CR only bothered to work out rights to stream that existing version as-is.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They like to use numbers when talking about things. :toughguy:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, they're british, so

the year 2019 occurred after the year 2016

Yes...? The point being they are using a Zeta release from before whatever song licensing you're talking about, so CR would have to do extra work to include those songs that were not a part of the existing release, which they are just slapping up on their site. I wouldn't ever hold my breath for them to do something like that when minimal cost/effort is the other option.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
In different circumstances the SEED movie probably would've existed over a decade ago and we wouldn't have to deal with this feeling of Sunrise reviving its frightening, beloved corpse.

Anyway I'm more bummed that AMAIM is continuing to exist and take up resources that could be on Gundam. A show that only has the tangible output of funnily-named model kits is not worth it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'm definitely in the EW > Wing camp for similar reasons. It's a compact dose of all the stuff there is to like about Wing (sans Treize himself) that doesn't have to deal with all the production issues of the TV series' back half wrt plotting/character writing.

Motto posted:

Kyoukai Senki's whole issue is existing mainly to develop and maintain human resources for later use on Gundam for organic lack of use for mecha animation skills.

Yes, but I'd be fine with them doing that with Gundam subseries like Build, given how AMAIM turned out to be. The new thing being a spinoff with some staff shakeup does give it a bit more promise but I'll wait for it to come out.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Kanos posted:

The "Rau destroyed Kira in the debate!" take has lived a really long time, but I don't really agree that that was the show's intended message from that episode at all.

Rau dunks on Kira and yells about how humans are terrible monsters who do awful things and deserve to die, and Kira - who is currently struggling to survive against an insanely deadly opponent - has no immediate witty response. However, the episode itself cuts Rau's dunking on Kira with shots that directly refute Rau's point - a rogue no name officer shooting Patrick Zala dead because he doesn't want to let Patrick kill all life on earth and Athrun and Cagalli - a natural and a coordinator - working together to disable the laser's reactor.

The show is very clearly making the point that Rau is wrong and there is good in humanity, it's just not doing so by having Kira rhetorically own Rau.

Agreed. With this, Badgiruel standing in opposition to Azrael, and even the bits of Yzak's mom being thrown in to show the Council breaking from Zala's actions, there's enough material in the final episode(s) that I felt supported Kira's optimism. It's just hard to balance out that dissatisfaction when the show can't refine it into a rebuttal for Kira. I do think Destiny sours it for me more just because he takes no active role in helping build the future he was fighting for, instead just running the orphanage in obscurity until his hand is forced by a conflict that ends up orders of magnitude worse.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Weighing its crimes against how much I like Shinn Asuka: ⚖️

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'm glad they're dead after Dunbine.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Shinn Asuka is loving back

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Compilation films are probably fine for Seed, if you must.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'd say the ideal is to both not watch 100 episodes of Seed regardless of story compromises, and for the new movie to not look poo poo like the original show did. They still make shows with Hirai's designs, this will just be in line with that stuff but probably on the stiffer side compared to MJP.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's called Gundam SEED Freedom because once it releases we will be free from animated Cosmic Era forever. :pray:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Bullying SEED is part of liking it, as far as I'm concerned. The series is a great example of a horribly-managed production that gives so many building blocks of something good but squanders or actively ruins them across 100 episodes. I hope there is a theatrical showing in the states so I can see these horrid new Lacus lips on a big screen.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I love this evil Unreal Gundam tbh, hope they do it justice in this probably bad show.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Sorry but have you considered that the Gundam pilot facing off against the Noisy Fairy Squadron would have done better if she'd just let go of her hatred of the space nazis who killed her family and friends? It's just so sad that they had to fight like that when all Alma and her squadron wanted to do was have nice parties in stolen mansions!

She should've watched IGLOO 2 and learned to listen to her Death God, agreed.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The one thing you need to know is that Divers has multiple fights better than anything in ReRise. No offense to the Xebec guys.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Yeah, Lotus Challenge is a big one. In terms of "rival" fights that aren't Shiba's I feel like Oni works better than Tigerwolf because the latter is hurt more from the lack of character writing to back it up. I appreciated ReRise having its unique situations and tactical layer but it was much more whelming when actually watching the fights unfold.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The Kamille one isn't even a complete thought? Guess I understand why this account was muted when I clicked through.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's so funny that this movie seems to have Destiny recap in it. Never change, SEED.

Oh, and the vaguest hint of Lacus and Kira on different sides might actually make this somewhat interesting. Who comes out on top in the battle between the two writer's pets?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Wouldn't really call it hate, the movie being advertised means it's a fresh topic of conversation and all the opinions on both sides are going to come back out. Don't think any series has universal praise even if some are closer than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'd say I prefer it, for all its faults.