Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
Holy poo poo guys... A couple years ago I put about $140 into this game, dicked around on the SC forums for a couple months, then kind of forgot about it.
My pc is old and can't run it, but about a year ago I helped my cousin build a gaming rig. I have a sort of running joke with him that every game he plays isn't star citizen, because star citizen is gonna be such an awesome game and he should get into it.
Anyway I was curious how development is going and I've spent the last few hours catching up and ... Holy poo poo guys.

Anyone want to buy my ships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

apply for a refund now and get out while ya can mr puncher

MeLKoR posted:

a rejection letter autographed by Sandi

In all seriousness, can I get a refund, or is that a fool's errand at this point?

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Toops posted:

Ask for a refund (email cig's customer service)

If recent history is any indication it will go something like this:
1. You'll get an automated response saying "we're so busy lol sorry!"
2. 3-6 weeks later, you might hear back (not exaggerating)
3. It will probably be a straight out "you're not entitled to a refund you donated this money and we needs it, here's some link to legalese bullshit meant to intimidate you ..."

At this point, you should contact your bank and initiate a chargeback. Keep any/all correspondence, with timestamps. With a bit of luck, your bank will initiate a chargeback and CIG will refund you the money.

They may try to jip you out of money and say "well we can give you 10 bux back but the rest of these items are no longer being stocked" or some horse poo poo like that. If they do, go chargeback.

It's a sick loving scam they got going at this point. Be polite but firm. They are trained to smell fear.

Thank you. I'll get on this soon.

What a nightmare :ohdear:

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
A terrifying thought just occurred to me. I think I had someone else gift me the ships, and I paid him through PayPal. This was during that time period where then current backers could get lti, but newbies couldn't.
Pretty sure I'm hosed.

My new plan is to try to hock this crap on the grey market, if that's still a thing.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

AP posted:

Which ships/packages do you have?

Game package with the 300, but upgraded to 325a
Aurora lx standalone
Both have lti

Edit: also various nonsense backer rewards e.g. Body armor, 28000 spacebux, etc

E2: it looks like some people are straight up buying accounts. Might do that. I'm too sleep deprived to figure this out right now.

Junk Puncher fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 24, 2016

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

That ship as sailed but you should still get an official rejection letter. That might or might not allow you to escalate into "chargeback" territory but you should still ask regardless.

Yeah chargeback isn't gonna work, I remembered I bought on the grey market via PayPal.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

AP posted:

lti aurora's were going for $150.

Seriously? That's more than triple what I paid for it. Why didn't I get out then?

I wonder if this is what black Thursday felt like.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

G0RF posted:

...because of Chris Roberts' micromanagement/scoop creep/unreasonableness?

G0RF posted:

Chris Roberts' scoop creep

G0RF posted:

scoop creep

So in Jr college, I there was this guy that would say "Free scoop Friday!" (or a different version for whatever day of the week it was)
And then make a scoop shape with his hand and act like he was groping people.
Mildly creepy, but he was one of those guys that if you knew him then you knew it was just a twisted sense of humor, and he wasn't actually creepy.

Anyway, I read "scoop creep" and now envision that being a thing CR has a problem with.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

CashEnsign posted:

Hey what's a good space game right now? I have a new shiny pc with an i5, a gtx 960 4GB, and a t1600 joystick that needs to get out of the box. Pls no Eve Online, I finally finished my therapy sessions.

INB4 graphics card shaming

Kerbal Space Program
No joke.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
Caught up to the thread!
loving finally!
(Sort of, I came in around 1400)

I have spent too much time watching this cluster gently caress from here, reddit, etc. But I also heard something about trying to build a consolidated timeline-type website. I have very little programming experience, none of which is web dev, but I wish I did so I could help build that.

Kudos to the guy (dorf?) Who made the SM timeline.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

CashEnsign posted:

Can you play it with a joystick?

As far as I know. I play with my xbone control. You can doodle with key bindings, and those menus have settings for 6 axis controls.

Vanilla is amazing, the mod scene is solid, and obligatory comment about how it was actually released after being funded, and devs give a poo poo about backers.

The only down side is every time you watch a space movie from now on you'll say "That's not how orbital mechanics works."

E: ksp is a model rockets meets Minecraft with hilarious failures (engineering sense of the word, not LOLEPICFAIL). It's a game you think a lot about, and get too excited about the little successes.

If you're looking for pewpew and space grit, this ain't it.

Junk Puncher fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 28, 2016

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
A few questions...

Are we going to buy Tommy Noble an SA account? Or would they then view him as another goonsayer?

When all this goes tits up, and Crobber and Sandi run off with whatever's left, what happens to the assets? The IP? All they created? Do you think they'll sell to a publisher? Or will it be one of those "If I can't have you, no one can!" scenarios?

Does anyone else think this would move along better if it were open source? Like if they just dumped it all into one big rear end git, and the community at large raced against CIG, who would make more progress? There have to be at least a couple hundred spergs out there with some programming prowess.

Also, I've been sort of keeping tabs on the grey market, and prices are dropping. Some listings claim "Under Cost." IDK if that's RSI cost or grey market cost at a loss.

Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them, right? Lots of defenders over at Reddit, but their market speaks too.

e:spelling

Junk Puncher fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 28, 2016

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Romes128 posted:

No publisher would touch this when it collapses. Now, yes, there may be a chance.

But no one is going to rescue the biggest failure in crowdfunding if it dies.

But let's say, hypothetically, CIG files bankruptcy. And hypothetically there's some sort of injunction and they have to auction assets to repay investors? With E:D et al having some success, I can see a company picking up what they can, either to develop or shelve.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
The First True Persistant Universe on the Internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrX8qEiMc7M&t=18s

IDK if anyone remembers this. I read about it in a gaming mag when I was pretty young. It was called 10 six because it could host a whopping 10^6 players on the INTERNET! It failed, and a few years ago I heard some schmoe bought the rights, changed the name to Project Visitor, and you can play it. Granted, they haven't done poo poo for development, but it's super old, and from a time before distributed development was possible.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Romes128 posted:

no obligation to fulfill kickstarter promises
without much of a potential player base to generate revenue from

drat. I see the current house of cards for what it is, but that was my last half hope.

welp

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

G0RF posted:

Why would a publisher do that? What is there really to gain by this, when to date, we've seen nothing wonderous, nothing proprietary, nothing special in Star Citizen save for what they promise will come in their "in engine"' video ads?

DICE could build a better FPS with Spaceships in Frostbite from the ground up for half of what Chris has raised. With no liabilities, no promises to entitled whales expecting space planes that carry 100+ passengers and include cocktail serving minigames that would've been boring even in a CD-I title.

Bioware could add spaceship combat to Mass Effect: Andromeda (if they don't already have that planned) in Frostbite and deliver a better experience than Star Citizen as sold. They've got great lore, a built in audience, a world class shooter engine, and marketing people who actually know how market and merchandise.

Buying up the wreckage of this in bankruptcy is buying IOUs to hundreds of thousands of pissed off people, the most invested of which are used to being able to get the VP of Marketing on the phone when they're pissed, used to getting to hang around the offices and jawbone with the developers, used to having mods look the other way when they send phallus photos to female backers.

Yes, there is talent at CIG. It's not at the top, though-- it's in the middle. The main talent those at the top have is a talent for fleecing the gullible and the corporation their funds have helped build. Not exactly like picking up a Carmack in a buyout.

Publishers hate Star Citizen- they absolutely hate it. Because Chris Roberts pounded his chest and called them the enemy of great games, called them peddlers of uninspired unit shifters. He has gotten and continues to get much Gaming Industry love by striking his Punk Rock pose and flipping off the industry. He's called them the enemy of visionary developers, of fidelity and immersion, and worse-- and drawn a cult like devotion from people who buy into his false dichotomies and sky's the limit promises.

If this thing does crater one day, they will have no lifelines for Chris. They will not hover like vultures to pick the meat and marrow off of Star Citizen's corpse. They will leave it decomposing wherever it dropped, pop corks on champagne and watch as their upcoming games hit the market and are bought for $60 by the same folks still holding IOUs for spacepixels and dreams.

So Chris better get this to Minimum Viable Product while the getting is still good and the money still rolls in, because it's more likely he'll get a class action lawsuit than an industry bailout if he crash this thing.

Harrowing. Nothing but ashes then, huh?
But you're right, there'll be nothing but ashes.

gently caress.

Tippis posted:

CIG has no valuable tech, just ideas of tech that they would like to have (but can't seem to deliver). If they go under, yet another year or two will have passed before it's available so what meh-level tech they could conceivably have will be obsolete. That leaves the people as the thing to buy, but there's a problem with that: if the company goes under, there's no need for anyone to buy it to get the people — you can just hire them as normal because all of them just lost their jobs. No need to burden yourself with an entire company when you can just cherry-pick newly freed up talent.

That leaves the IP but Star Citizen does not have an IP to speak of. It's generic “militaristic humans vs. scary aliens”, which is not an idea that needs to be bought. The only thing that remains is the art — the dreaded jpegs and the concept designs, but why bother? You have to rebuild everything from scratch anyway.

The hollywood dramatisation will be the only place to experience the far more fun narrative

And this thread.
best :10bux: ever spent

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
Oh, and welcome back Ace. Good luck with your work and whatnot.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

AP posted:

Did you see that? Over $2k he's selling, eating paypal fee and offered to knock another 5% off and he's far from the only one, lots of upgraded LTI P-72 ships, so basically people were buying the lti p72 for $20 or whatever it was sold for, then melting their account locked ships and upgrading them so they had giftable/LTI ships to sell for less than cost.

Paying $20 in chunks each time they want to get their money out, just to be able to get most of it out.

I'm in this boat. Sort of. Got two up, only slightly above cost. I should break even. But I'm not nearly into it as far as this guy is.

Also, I called this. Will get my quote later.

e:

Junk Puncher posted:

Also, I've been sort of keeping tabs on the grey market, and prices are dropping. Some listings claim "Under Cost." IDK if that's RSI cost or grey market cost at a loss.

Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them, right? Lots of defenders over at Reddit, but their market speaks too.

Junk Puncher fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 29, 2016

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Iglocska posted:

Wait, you can turn money tied up in something non-giftable giftable if you upgrade a giftable LTI ship?

If you melt a ship you get store credit. But ships bought w/ store credit can't be sent as a gift to other players.

Buy a ship with cash. Melt for store credit.
Later, buy a cheaper ship for cash, use store credit to put upgrades on that ship.
Gift that ship.

Ex:
Buy assship.jpeg for $500 real money (can be gifted).
Buttship.jpeg comes out, and you want it but can't afford it.
Melt assship.jpeg for $500 store credit.
Buy buttship.jpeg for $500 store credit (can't be gifted).
Read DSmart thread.
:frogout:
You now have $500 in the game that you can't get refunded, and your buttship.jpeg is account bound.
melt buttship.jpeg for $500 store credit.
Buy 2x cockship.jpeg for $40 real money (can be gifted).
Apply $250 worth of upgrades with store credit to turn cockship.jpeg into dickship.jpeg (can still be gifted).
Sell 2x dickship.jpeg on grey market (get money through PP, send as gift on RSI website)

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Avalanche posted:

Assuming Ben lives on the west side of LA, how the gently caress is he so loving fat? How the gently caress is he getting fatter? Santa Monica/west side is so affluent you can sometimes find bums with gym memberships to Equinox gyms. Even if you just walk outside for 10min and look at people, you start feeling like you need to go to the gym or run or loving do something immediately.

Ben, if you're reading this, please check out the YLLS forums. They have some pretty sound weightlifting advice.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

MMD3 posted:

is there a celebratory thread somewhere for people who finally got their money out of SC?

I just sold an account I paid $140 for to a redditor for $200. phew.

Congratulations commando.
Sold a package I paid $80 for, to a reddit for $105.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

BeefThief posted:

Only 22gb to glory.

I just realized I don't have a ship of my own! I suppose I will have to borrow one.

I have one to sell you.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Happy Sisyphus posted:

sorry if i'm late to the eonwe testimonials but this guy got me to stop browsing 4chan because i realized i can shitpost here in a much healthier way

If only we could bring these truths to the reddit masses.

e: that's a terrible idea, and I feel bad for having it.

Junk Puncher fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 30, 2016

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

i'm not derek but quaternions are pretty simple, they're basically a more complex complex number

instead of just i, you also get j and k, any of which squared is -1, but the product of all of them is -1 too

end result you can have a single number to express four dimensions, much like with a complex number you can have a single number to express two

hth friend

Dammit, now I have to learn this. The other day I wanted to figure out the square root of i, did so, and figured that was the end of it.

Further down the rabbit hole then...

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So when exactly did the tide begin to turn against Chris Roberts here in the Games thread? I mean we in the GBS thread were making fun of this shitshow since 2013, and went out of our minds at the absolute hilarity that was the unveiling of arena commander at the start of 2014. But I remember it being a hugbox in here until sometime in 2015. How many dissenters came into the threads in this forum and get driven off/probated for rightly pointing out how retarded people were for spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on jpegs?

We are all still very much supportive of this game. It's an immersive, hi-fidelity experience that all will enjoy for many years to come. You mock it now, but mark my words friend, you'll wish you backed this when you had the chance.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Mendrian posted:

If SM is an unnessecary module because FPS is already in the game, how do they justify AC?

I have to assume because space ships are not currently in the game.

Basically AC and PTU were developed side by side, so they can manage them both. Since SM was built by an outside source, and they're out of money, it's not worth it to merge it in.

The official justification:
Reasons

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Sticky Buddy's statements at the end of the first image.
Has anyone here ever seen more obvious projection?

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

HiHo ChiRho posted:

are we done yet? did we win the 'verse? ruin everything?

FTFY
And no, but soon.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Taping it now, the only things I can remember from memory are the firing range, tits in the shower, and the guy getting his brains sucked out.

MEDIC!

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Variable 5 posted:

But you'll make them pay extra for the secret forum, right? Seems only fair.

Well of course. They'd have to pay for plat to see the links, and then You need a Platinum account to see this message. to get access. Everyone knows that.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/43h7bn/free_something_awful_account_to_anyone_banned/

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

EightAce posted:

Anyone have an authentic Philly cheese steak recipe. Also, what's a montichristo sandwich?

monitchristo sandwiches are mo fuggin delicious. Basically a ham, turkey, and cheese, but also with jelly and with French toast for bread.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

EightAce posted:

Wtf! By jelly I assume you mean jam. In which case, what flavor

Yes I did mean jam. I like raspberry or strawberry. But there are some who use jelly.

It's one of those things you love or hate.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Young Freud posted:

This is ultimately how long entering and exiting a space ship in SC should take...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U437m8gtqX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGugEmFimCU
See that? In the time you entered into the seat of the Constellation, you watched the entirety of the boarding animations of all air vehicles from Just Cause 2. And, especially with the helicopters, Just Cause 2 kept the fidelity of entering aircraft.

0/10 was not immersed

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
Posters on rsi and reddit are insufferable pedantic spoiled shithead babies.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Ponzi posted:

I've come to a realisation - the cultists are incapable of thinking for themselves.

you have an ill-deserved bad rep (but enjoy your notoriety). Yes, you can be 'toxic dinks', but I don't think it's because of any inherent desire to be nasty for the sake of it, but rather an 'accept no bullshit' attitude, and a liking for pointing out the crazy things in life, usually in a humorous manner.

Well that's what I think anyway.

Are you familiar with "the emperor's new clothes"?

We're not afraid to call him naked, nor are we afraid to admit we're idiots.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

So this post got me thinking about this RSI article:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13951-Flight-Model-And-Input-Controls

Where they talk about how each ship will have an advanced PID flight control system. Not as in they, the devs, will do some PID napkin calculations and use those to set up ship steering parameters.
As in the game holds the ship, and the in-game ship has a PID flight control system that reads user flight control input, calculates desired vs actual state, adds to an accumulated error, and calculates required forces and torques.
Once your in-game ship does these calculations, it analyzes the mass distribution and thruster placement on your ship (talking into account any lost/damaged wings, thrusters, etc.), then goes through a priority list (main forward thrust, p/r/y, lateral movement) assigning power outputs.
Then your ship simulates those power delegations and sends power to thrusters/reaction wheels. Then it simulates those things making the ship move, then simulates that being a little off, then checks desired vs actual output again.

They honestly thought this would be a thing they could do. Hypothetically they could create a generic PID system that they could plug in to ships as they built them. But why the gently caress would you waste cpu cycles doing this poo poo in real time for every ship? "Quick, simulate that the physics are a bit off, then calculate what it would take to correct for that." I get that the broken engine fixing mini game and whatnot might sound fun, but honestly, a loving PID controller that no one will notice is present until they check this game's CPU consumption?

PID is only necessary for real life physical objects. Because in real life things don't respond exactly as you'd like, so you need to monitor output and adjust input.
Imagine if a game gave characters cameras, then had the cameras actually simulate anti shake technology and red eye reduction. Shaky hands and red eye are real world problems that only exist in game if they're put in game. Why would you put them in game just to simulate correcting them in game?

Edit: tldr
Let's up the fidelity by making our physics imperfect, then simulate simulating corrections to the problem.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

MedicineHut posted:

Do we know if the PID controller algorithms are actually working in the game? I mean judging by the borked physics and balsa wood you can see in AC and the PU (and looking back to all the issues to date with flight physics, cutlass issues etc) I suspect the fideliteh in this area has been completely dropped or cheated to death too. BFCSSE, Best loving Cheat Space Sim Ever.

I'm not focusing on whether or not the PID systems are in and working.

I'm saying it's a stupid idea to even think of using that system. In the real world you have PID controllers to compensate for real world problems. i.e. Physical things can't be perfectly modeled, so you get as close as you can and make corrections as you go.

In a game, you don't need a PID because you have control over the game.

Example: I created a PID to keep a wheel spinning at a user-settable speed regardless of load. Ideally, you would say x power @ y load = z speed, but that only works on paper. In the real world, you have to monitor the speed, and make changes on the fly to how much power you're outputting, otherwise your speed will be off. A PID controller is a constant guess and check.
In a game, you just tell the drat thing to spin however fast you want.

:cig: logic:
I want to turn left...
use look up table for this ship's ability to turn left[
calculate turn needs
simulate power distribution
simulate turning
simulate previous calculations being off (this will always happen in real world, never in simulation)
simulate minor adjustments to calculations
repeat

In short, not only was this a big engineering debt, it served literally no purpose, and no one would feel the effects, ever. Like one of those boxes with an on switch that just turns itself off.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
Why am I losing sleep over this not game being not made by not competent poo poo heads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Tippis posted:

Everyone else is effort-posting, so…

That reminds me of a thought I had the other day. There's all this talk about SC being a matter of faith, with all the connotations this entails — on the one hand we have the citizen cult; on the other we have the SA apostates and heretics; and of course, there's the Big Evil Fork-tailed Derek.

In a sense, I actually believe that the citizens got one thing right in all of this: they keep suggesting, implicitly and explicitly, that having faith in the project is what will bring it to fruition. That's why negative thoughts hit so hard and why facts are so useless against them. The only thing they really got wrong about this idea is whose faith it is that matters. It's not theirs — they're just backers and they don't really matter as far as completing the thing goes. It's not SA's or Dereks (or, more accurately, the lack thereof) — we can't actually change anything about the game and are only made relevant by how CIG reacts to us.

The problem is Chris. He, of all people, has no faith in Star Citizen, and that's why it is breaking down.

He has no faith in his own judgement; he can't say “this is good” and then stick to that conviction; he can't say “no” to ideas because there's no way for him to see that they don't fit with with the ideal. All he seems to know is that he has to beat… someone. Anyone. Everything and everyone is the enemy because there is no coherent idea that he can affix his vision to. He doesn't seem to believe in any one thing that can stand on its own merits — it has to build on and outclass something else — but without any such intrinsic value, that “something else” cannot be clearly defined so it becomes everything else. Rather than innovative, it necessarily becomes derivative, because otherwise, there is no way to judge that it is good. If it were innovative, there would be no good point of comparison to be “better than”; if it could stand on its own merits, it would be incomparable and thus — in the very essence of the word — worthless.

Look at the competition that has existed and that has emerged. Elite has the merit of being the Elitest of Elite games. NMS has the merit of being the weirdo-procedural-world game, complete with weird colour schemes to match. Good old EVE is the (war) economy sim. ME:A and CoD:IW are perhaps not innovative, but they have their very clear and staked-out niches: Bioware story-telling and military spectacle-shooting. What is the supposed merit of SC? It's simply “best”. At what? Being a “drat space sim game”, apparently, but that tells us nothing. At no point has Chris actually dared put his foot down and say “it will be ‘The (eponymous) Best’ at this thing” and then stuck to it.

The game lacks conviction; it lacks a goal; it lacks someone at the top who actually aspires to reaching that goal — at least in any way that dares to be mentioned publicly.

Quoting from way back, but this sums it up nicely. The game had a vapid goal of being "the best", but with lack of conviction it can only hope to be mediocre at best.
And I don't think Crobberts even had to pick one thing and stick with it, if he could have just picked one thing at a time. Start with the best drat lore, then the best drat flight model, then the best drat voice/mocap. All the while adding on to an actual playable game. I would have been happy parping around in a spaceship a la eve but with actual flight while they fleshed everything else out.
EVE tried the planetside fps gimmick with middling success, but at that point they had a solid meta game/emergent/community driven schtick.

• Locked thread